Varyag receives pennant number 16.

no_name

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Varyag would be PLAN pennant number 16.

xuSc1.jpg

cYbMp.jpg

xtGPz.jpg

why it is written number 16 ?........................

why it is written number 16 ?........................

I think #10 to #15 are reserved for domestic designed aircraft carriers. Also CV16 Liaoning (i.e. ex-Varyag) is a technical evaluation and training ship, it is different from future Chinese aircraft carriers in operational role.

I think #10 to #15 are reserved for domestic designed aircraft carriers. Also CV16 Liaoning (i.e. ex-Varyag) is a technical evaluation and training ship, it is different from future Chinese aircraft carriers in operational role.

I think the whole "training & evaluation ship" thing is just a statement issued my the Defense ministry, because the Hongkong Co, that purchased it said it in contract that it will not be used for combat role. it helped with the purchase and transport across Suez. I mean no navy in the world has such thing as a training aircraft carrier, it's just too expansive to have one just for training.

I think the whole "training & evaluation ship" thing is just a statement issued my the Defense ministry, because the Hongkong Co, that purchased it said it in contract that it will not be used for combat role. it helped with the purchase and transport across Suez. I mean no navy in the world has such thing as a training aircraft carrier, it's just too expansive to have one just for training.

Yes, beside the evaluation and training role, CV16 Liaoning is also a very capable in combat role. However you miust remember that PLAN has no prior experience in aircraft carrier operation and fabrication of hull.

In similar fashion as in PLAN evaluating DDG 052B, 051C and 052C (which ended with improved 052C and 052D for serial production), they have to run the CV for years to evaluated what is best for follow up design, operation protocol, handling procedures, crew training etc.

Handling a CV and a CV combat group is different from destroyer group, PLAN will need decades to reach what USN is right now.

As for training aircraft carrier, yes, US Navy did have training aircraft carrier before (USS Wolveline and USS Sable). Right now they are basically training their crew while on the job since they have everything perfected, i.e. protocol, procedures, experience crew to train new crew etc.

And, of course if a war erupt suddently, CV16 could be pressed into combat role provided all air assets and their crews are well trained and ready, regardless of its original role as training ship.

Back
Top Bottom