What's new

USA wants defence agreement with Bangladesh

Can't say how authentic it is, but USA is said to have wanted a naval base in Bay of Bengal for a long time.
if its true then they are up-to something and BD should run away from plan ASAP if you want peace and survival . USA did not make defense agreements for benefit of others but for needs of USA itself . even i have no soft feelings for BD because of current BD gov still i don't want to see BD like panama Cambodia etc .

if its true then they are up-to something and BD should run away from plan ASAP if you want peace and survival . USA did not make defense agreements for benefit of others but for needs of USA itself . even i have no soft feelings for BD because of current BD gov still i don't want to see BD like panama Cambodia etc .
Well a naval base no land military baze....countries like Japan, Korea are doing fine with US base in their country.

It has its perks and bad effects. But right now US seems good to give BD more security. US will certainly look for their interests. No doubt. But we accept reality. We don't expect free things. Maybe we can agree a mutually beneficial deal.

Well a naval base no land military baze....countries like Japan, Korea are doing fine with US base in their country.
Well said about Japan or Korea. But, why do you think the USA will need a base, naval or what, in Bangladesh which is located in the very far north of IndianOcean/BoB and away from the trading routes over the Indian Ocean? Compare it with the locations in SL, Orissa, MM. Moreover, the USA wants to keep the Malacca Strait free all the time and it has already some kind of agreement with a few countries there. It has bases in Guam, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore- good enough to keep the peace in the Strait.

Although we imagine, but, I do not think the USA has ever shown any interest for a military base here. A defence agreement does not automatically lead to a base.

But, why do you think the USA will need a base, naval or what, in Bangladesh which is located in the very far north of IndianOcean/BoB and away from the trading routes over the Indian Ocean?
Maybe they want to keep a watch on India. As they used to be in Soviet camp. I wouldn't know what specifications they have in their mind.
Compare it with the locations in SL, Orissa, MM.
India and MM won't allow them a base. SL probably won't either.
Although we imagine, but, I do not think the USA has ever shown any interest for a military base here. A defence agreement does not automatically lead to a base.
Yeah, I know. But if US requests for a naval base now I think we should comply with it and try to negotiate a good deal.

Maybe they want to keep a watch on India. As they used to be in Soviet camp. I wouldn't know what specifications they have in their mind.
Yes, you are right. By sitting somewhere in our shore the US Navy can watch the naval developments in Orissa as well as the Chinese naval activities in Burma. But, this can be done by setting up a listening post in one of our naval bases and not by building a naval base which has quite a large function.

BD is not in a conflict zone like Afghanistan, Japan or Korea.

By watching the video below I got the following impressions:

- BD does not want to make an immediate heavy purchase of China weapons unless China takes positive steps to resolve the Rohingya issue.
- Russia always just arbitrarily raise the prices of the weapons it exports. It happened when India bought an aircraft carrier from Russia. The same happened when BD recently wanted to buy Sukhoi planes from it.
- Now, America does not want BD to buy Russian weapons. The video explains it.

So, could it be that the USA wants BD to buy the US and European weapons system? Please watch the video, the narrator is giving genuine reasons for so far unable to buy planes and others. All are international politics that is causing BAF to delay the purchase of its planes.

- BD does not want to make an immediate heavy purchase of China weapons unless China takes positive steps to resolve the Rohingya issue.
- Russia always just arbitrarily raise the prices of the weapons it exports. It happened when India bought an aircraft carrier from Russia. The same happened when BD recently wanted to buy Sukhoi planes from it.

So, could it be that the USA wants BD to buy the US and European weapons system? Please watch the video, the narrator is giving genuine reasons for so far unable to buy planes and others. All are international politics that is causing BAF to delay the purchase of its planes.

It’s not a bad video.

One of his better ones.

I tend to agree with his thoughts.

Yes agree . But also don't want to give up our control. Do not want to accept the fate like Pakistan . I want a military pact that will not cost us too much in future . That's why wee need to control our country in strong hand ( military back behind curtain), so that no religious politics should emerge .

Personally I have no issue with religious politics though if they remain in Masjid and socially influential , but we certainly are not going to tolerate any brotherhood aka jamati types who will prefer Ummah concept over nationality and will create chaos. Because so called Ummah lover political parties actually do nothing for ummah ( atleast 2013-2015 violence in Bangladesh was not beneficial for Ummah by the way ) . They are also actually like lamb coated wolves , same as sanghis ; that;s the reason I call sanghi Jamati bhai bhai . So if we can keep such parties away from direct politics , perhaps relationship between us and USA will go well .

So if govt can control them and can maintain current stability , I think our relationship will go better with USA .

One thing we should consider and that is , in 1962 sino indo war when Indian army retreated to Bhutan , then Chinese honored the border and did not pursue, so it's clear that China honored a very small country bhutan. Bhutan is actually protectorate state of India . Still china honored the border line .

So if we had border with China , we would not have to be worried , but it would be very beneficial for us . Our India dependency would be reduced , even we could ignore them totally if it would be necessary .

China is our tested ally , so bad Mouthing china should not be an option . Of course we want defence pact with USA , but about china we will take our own decision , and USA or any other countries do not need to be concerned . We will keep friendly relation with both USA and China .

So the future will let us know if china is washing brain or Not . I want a very good relationship with USA , but if it comes at the cost of our relationship with china , thenI disagree ! If any option will be given as mandatory , I will choose China every single Time , because China is more tested ally . It's my personal opinion though . Please feel free to share your opinion further .
@Mage
China will never support Bangladesh over Myanmar. Myanmar has been an ally of China for hundreds of years. Also I can sense another cold war type or precisely, another north-south Korean type conflict in this region with China and Russia supporting Myanmar and USA and NATO supporting Bangladesh.

China will never support Bangladesh over Myanmar. Myanmar has been an ally of China for hundreds of years. Also I can sense another cold war type or precisely, another north-south Korean type conflict in this region with China and Russia supporting Myanmar and USA and NATO supporting Bangladesh.

Good.

At least things will be clear cut as to who is who.

So the future will let us know if china is washing brain or Not . I want a very good relationship with USA , but if it comes at the cost of our relationship with china , thenI disagree ! If any option will be given as mandatory , I will choose China every single Time , because China is more tested ally . It's my personal opinion though . Please feel free to share your opinion further .
No, it is not exactly what you are saying about China. China betrayed us when we needed its support most on the Rohingya issue. China has shown us its Hyena teeth while selling us its industrial and military products which we buy with our hard-earned dollars. But, you may be thinking that it is giving us everything for free.

Can you call China a friend of BD? If China is a friend who is then our enemy? It is the same with India, as well. In reality, no country is our friend except that many countries' companies import our goods because it is cheap. No one really seeks the friendship of a week and meek country with a eunuch foreign policy.

Last edited:
Also I can sense another cold war type or precisely, another north-south Korean type conflict in this region with China and Russia supporting Myanmar and USA and NATO supporting Bangladesh.
I'll take that.

No, it is not exactly what you are saying about China. China betrayed us when we needed its support most on the Rohingya issue. China has shown us its Hyena teeth while selling us its industrial and military products which we buy with our hard-earned dollars. But, you may be thinking that it is giving us everything for free. .

Maybe we should look for Europe as trusted ally . As Perhaps Europe will not interfere in our private matter like USA? As relationship with USA costs other countries a lot .
Can you call China a friend of BD? If China is a friend who is then our enemy? It is the same with India, as well. In reality, no country is our friend except that many countries' companies import our goods because it is cheap. No one really seeks the friendship of a week and meek country with a eunuch foreign policy.

But In order to reduce Indian influence in politics China should be a better alternative . However I admit that china embarrassed us when we needed them more , and a logic can be given that they were just countering their regional and International opponents . But yes other opinions are rational too ( like your and mage's ) . So it's a bit confusing I admit now .

But Still we have better business relationship with china , and they are doing for business and not trying to do dadagiriu like India , at least not yet . I can tolerate everything brother , but can not tolerate dadagiri .

And even if USA want to show this , I can not stand with them . We have our honor as sovereign nation so dadagiri is never allowed .

Inspired by this video ! Thanks for posting the link !

Well if that's the case , then Perhaps Europe is our choice . I also Like USA but the problem is they love dadagiri that I hate .

Maybe we should look for Europe as trusted ally . As Perhaps Europe will not interfere in our private matter like USA? As relationship with USA costs other countries a lot .
Yes, the USA will interfere with the BAL style democracy but other western countries are also not different. But, it is not actually a real interference, democratize a country is a condition of friendship for all these countries with democratic tradition.

So, BD will have to accept western criticism and re-introduce democracy or it can defy them at the expense of bearing the burden of 1.3 million Rohingya as well as future Assamese refugees.

Back
Top Bottom