• Total voters

A.Rahman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.brecorder.com/

US wants to join Saarc

DHAKA (updated on: March 30, 2006, 17:41 PST): The United States wants to join the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC) as an observer, Bangladesh Foreign Minister M. Morshed Khan said on Thursday.

The request was formally made by the visiting US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State John Gastright who arrived Dhaka on Thursday on a two-day visit.

"We support the US request to become an observer of the Saarc and hope all other members of the forum also welcome it," Khan told reporters after a meeting with Gastright.

Earlier South Korea also made a similar request for Saarc observer status, foreign ministry officials said.

Saarc was formed in 1985, but its aim of bringing regional prosperity through co-operation has failed to get off the ground.

It has taken few multilateral initiatives and many of its summits have been postponed, sometimes for years, because of strife within nations or between them.

Bangladesh, the current chair of the grouping, will host a meeting of the Saarc Standing Committee, made up of the foreign secretaries of the member states, to finalise the terms and conditions for the observers, the officials said.

Gastright also discussed bilateral issues including co-operation in combating terrorism and asked Bangladesh "to do more" in curbing domestic extremism, they said.

Saarc groups Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka.

During the 13th Saarc summit in Dhaka in November last year, the new membership was granted to Afghanistan and observer status to China and Japan.

Afghanistan would be formally integrated to the grouping later this year, officials said.
Copyright Reuters, 2006

A.Rahman said:
so they can control us

Control whom???

what additonal power do they get by being a member of a dead regional association.

Prashant said:
Control whom???

what additonal power do they get by being a member of a dead regional association.
Imho, SAARC countries can very well manage themselves without uncle interfering in their business.
Since China, backed by Pakistan and Bhutan has shown interest to become an obsever uncle wnats to do the same.
But its not their arena!
I don't want them there!

I think its because Pakistan, Nepal ,Bangladesh brought CHINA into SAARC. hindustan got really scared and begged the US to get into saarc too to protect hinduistan from China. That makes more sense...:cool:

RAPTOR said:
I think its because Pakistan, Nepal ,Bangladesh brought CHINA into SAARC. hindustan got really scared and begged the US to get into saarc too to protect hinduistan from China. That makes more sense...:cool:

Well whats the difference ?

Whats so great abt US joining SAARC as a observer or a member.SAARC is dead and a non starter.its better left to rot.

i dont know whats al;l the fuss abt SAARC and US joining it. U cant compare a dead SAARC to a lively and active NATO.

there is hell of a difference.

Prashant said:
:cheesy: -i dont know whats al;l the fuss abt SAARC and US joining it. U cant compare a dead SAARC to a lively and active NATO.

there is hell of a difference.

:cheesy: -Control whom???

Well whats the difference ?

:cheesy: -Whats so great abt US joining SAARC as a observer or a member.SAARC is dead and a non starter.its better left to rot.

I think this guy was thoroughly molested by a member of SAARC. Thats the only reason i can think of by looking at his repeated absurd attempts to call SAARC a "dead" organization.

SAARC is a platform for the countries of South Asia (including hindustan) to work for the betterment of their people and regional peace and harmony.

RAPTOR said:
I think this guy was thoroughly molested by a member of SAARC. .

u cant stop cant u......:cool:

RAPTOR said:
hats the only reason i can think of by looking at his repeated absurd attempts to call SAARC a "dead" organization.

SAARC is a platform for the countries of South Asia (including hindustan) to work for the betterment of their people and regional peace and harmony.

Tell what has SAARC done till date which is concrete other than the SAF games.

Prashant said:
Tell what has SAARC done till date which is concrete other than the SAF games.

SAARC has done nothing so far for the betterment of the region mainly due to the reason that it had been made hostage to Indo-Pak tension.

Now in the new scenario it has been revived not for the betterment of the region but again to be used in the big game.
Cant you ppl see the entry of Afghanistan and desire of China, Japan and now US to become its members.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom