ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Unfriendly ties: US turns down Pakistan’s demand for LNG supply
By Zafar Bhutta
Published: July 11, 2014

ISLAMABAD:
The United States has refused to enter into a liquefied natural gas (LNG) supply deal with Pakistan on a state-to-state basis and has instead suggested that Islamabad should strike an agreement with Qatar for gas import, but it could prove quite expensive.

Background interviews with some officials reveal that the government was upset over the US response, which denied LNG supply to a country that has been its key strategic partner since long.

On the other side, Washington has offered civil nuclear technology to Delhi and a US company has clinched an LNG supply accord with an Indian firm at $12 to $13 per million British thermal units (mmbtu).

The US has also piled pressure on Pakistan to prevent it from pushing ahead with a vital gas pipeline project with Iran, called the Iran-Pakistan (IP) pipeline.

191.jpg

“US is pressing Pakistan to source LNG supplies from Qatar in a government-to-government contract, but it will cost around $19 per mmbtu,” an official told The Express Tribune.

Separately, US firm ConocoPhillips, which is operating in Qatar, would also be able to offer LNG to Pakistan, he added.

ConocoPhillips has shareholding in a joint gas field between Qatar and Iran from where LNG is being exported to the entire world. The South Pars field, from where Pakistan was to import gas under the IP pipeline, is also shared by Iran and Qatar.

Experts are of the view that the government could not afford to pay a high LNG price to Qatar, which stands close to the furnace oil price of $20 per mmbtu. Pakistan could afford a price that is in the range of $13 to $15 per mmbtu, they say.

According to officials of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources, they asked the US government to commit LNG export, which could be quite cheap compared to Qatar.

US officials say they place no bar on non-Free Trade Agreement (FTA) countries including Pakistan on inking an LNG deal with US private enterprises.

All natural gas production and LNG manufacturing in the US is the endeavour of private enterprises, they say, adding the American government does not have any agreement to sell LNG and is not negotiating with any country for gas export.

Instead of the IP pipeline, the US favours another project called the Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India (TAPI) gas pipeline. At this stage, however, this project only looks like a dream and is far from reality because of the unrest in Afghanistan.

Insiders believe the IP project, which was at an advanced stage, has been all but shelved following a $1.5 billion ‘gift’ to Pakistan from a friendly nation, widely believed to be Saudi Arabia.

Officials say the country missed an opportunity to purchase LNG at a cheaper rate from Qatar in the past. Now, a price negotiation committee is being constituted to bargain with Doha.

Meanwhile, Pakistan State Oil has floated a tender, seeking bids for LNG import. The government is working on three options to secure LNG supplies which include spot purchases, floating tenders and a government-to-government contract with Qatar.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 11th, 2014.

Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

A repeat of history. Pakistan gives, the US taketh away. In any rational person's eyes, the US has lost any and all rights to ask or demand anything of Pakistan.

If I was Pakistan, I'd probably close down the US's entire supply route going from Pakistan, and decline the US safe passage using Pakistani routes. Let them use Iran, or Russia if they're so confident in themselves.

But we know this will never happen, as Pakistan's current leadership is too economically weak to do anything of the sort. The US continues to make a fool out of Pakistan, and Pakistani leaders can do nothing but bend over backwards and take it up the arse, just to make sure Pakistan doesn't go bankrupt.

If this was a marriage, the US would have been arrested for domestic abuse by now.

LOL I hope 1.5 billion was worth the price Pakistanis economy will pay ,but hey any thing to please house of Saud.

In case of LNG, let me highlight a few points:
1. The US Govt. isn't selling LNG to anyone - the LNG export projects are all being developed by private firms. The gas that they are going to sell is also being produced by private firms. It is very difficult for people in our part of the world to grasp this, but the US government is not in the oil & gas business - unlike our governments.
2. Some Indian companies have signed long term LNG supply deals with US firms. These are company to company deals. Nothing stops Pakistani companies from signing similar agreements.
3. The bulk of India's LNG currently comes from Qatar - we are trying to diversify our supply sources, which is why US. Our first LNG purchase agreements were with Rasgas over a decade back.

I don't see how this is a betrayal of any kind, as the comment above seems to indicate. Somehow Pakistan always seems to be the country asking for this or that - whether it is 'nuclear deal', aid money, free/cheap oil and now cheaper gas. If you are always taking things from people with nothing to give back in return, that makes you a beggar, whether a person or a country - I don't think Pakistan should be in that position as a self respecting country.

I am not sure how a refusal by the US Government to sell you something that they aren't selling, and that too below cost, qualifies as domestic abuse. I think it betrays a misplaced sense of entitlement. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to come out of it.

To my mind, Aid is a drug - it gives you a high and leaves you with a longing for more and more. If denied, it leads to withdrawal symptoms and violent behaviour on part of the addict. Bad leadership of the past has created this unhealthy addiction for your country - its time to kick the habit!

Last edited:
I think now its time for Zaid Hamid to plan the Ghazwa-E-Washington D.C.

Hor choopo. For how many more times, we are going to be used by US like tissue paper? But our people high up never learn.

I wonder how many ACTUALLY ready the news??

The US government does not normally sanction gas exports on its own. Oil & Gas firms which are private entities get contracts to extract the fossil fuel which they then export forward. Now if a firm in the US which exports LNG tells the US government that is is not willing to send LNG all the way from the US to Pakistan and instead is willing to send it via Qatar(to save on costs).. then it is the prerogative of the firm to do so. The current Pakistani government has NOTHING to do with this outcome, but rather those that denied the Qatar deal in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom