What's new

US Thwarted $1.5mil Iranian plot to kill Saudi ambassador

pak-marine

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Just saw US attorney general at a press conference announcing their agencies have foiled a terror plot by Iran to kill Saudi ambassador , suspects belong to Al Quds force are arrested and charged with attempted murder.

:sick:

Senior U.S. official: Plot to kill Saudi ambassador thwarted

By the CNN Wire Staff

October 11, 2011 --
Updated 1812 GMT (0212 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

An FBI agent's affidavit accuses two men of conspiring to kill a Saudi ambassador
A senior U.S. official says the alleged plan was directed by elements of the Iranian government
Washington (CNN) -- The FBI and the DEA have disrupted a plot involving Iran to commit terrorism inside the United States, a senior U.S. official told CNN Tuesday.
The official said the alleged plan was directed by elements of the Iranian government and involved a plot to kill the Saudi ambassador to the United States.
An FBI agent's affidavit obtained by CNN Tuesday accused two men of conspiring to murder Saudi Ambassador Adel Al-Jubeir.
The complaint alleges that Manssor Arbabsiar and Gholam Shakuri began a plot this past spring to kill Al-Jubei

Senior U.S. official: Plot to kill Saudi ambassador thwarted - CNN.com

This is quite big - All over the news - Apparently US is saying Iran Government is behind this.

I wonder how the KSA will react, since this ambassador is part of the royal family.

They never want Saudi to get on good terms with Iran.Like they never want Pakistan to be a developed country.

They will do all this propoganda to keep Saudia away from Iran.If they needed they will kill everyone in the way.

Holder: US will hold Iran accountable in plot to assassinate Saudi ambassador

By Associated Press, Published: October 11

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department on Tuesday accused elements of the Iranian government of being involved in a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States, and Attorney General Eric Holder said the U.S. would hold Iran accountable.

Two people, including a member of Iran’s special operations unit known as the Quds Force, were charged in New York federal court. Holder said the bomb plot was a flagrant violation of U.S. and international law.

“We will not let other countries use our soil as their battleground,” Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, said at a press conference in Washington with Holder and FBI Director Robert Mueller.

Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old U.S. citizen who also holds an Iranian passport, was charged along with Gholam Shakuri, whom authorities said was a Quds Force member.

FBI Director Robert Mueller says many lives could have been lost in the plot to kill the ambassador with bombs in the U.S.

Holder said the U.S. government would be taking unspecified action against the Iranian government as early as Tuesday afternoon. Asked whether the plot was blessed by the top echelons of the Iranian government, Holder said the Justice Department was not making that accusation.

Holder: US will hold Iran accountable in plot to assassinate Saudi ambassador - The Washington Post

He is not a member of the royal family... His name is Adel Al-jubair.

i think it's too early to speculate....it certainly is a good way to deflect attention away from domestic issues, and to fuel animosity between the governments of KSA and Iran --which of course we know who benefits from that.

but if there was such a plot ---then it's very good that it was thwarted. The amount of damage it could have caused would be huge.

my office is around the corner from the Embassy of Saudi Arabia....saw a bunch of secret service and a few unmarked federal vehicles on the road....things are pretty quiet here actually so far for the most part.

I don't get it : why they would like to kill him? what is the benefit to do this?

I don't get it : why they would like to kill him? what is the benefit to do this?

i can't really think of any 'benefit' unless it were to be tit-for-tat or unless he advocated a U.S. incursion into Iran which i dont think U.S. is willing or has the heart for at this current time.

there was some media noise going on about how both saudi and israeli diplomats were in danger of this alleged Iranian plot though that has died down now

i guess we'll have to wait for further details

I will wait for the official Saudi government response before making any conclusions regarding this matter.

Back
Top Bottom