What's new

US ship involved in accident.

Here is another question how come Fitzgerald could not steer out of the path of crystal.

Let just say crystal was a derelict ship without any crew . Fitzgerald had the ability to avoid collision.

Had the ability? I have the ability to avoid a truck but I still got hit even if my car is smaller. Defensive driving sometimes help but sometimes you can't avoid accidents. In this case, the captain of the Crystal change directions 10 minutes before when realizing he was going to hit the ship and still hit the ship.

No doubt errors were made, on both ships, otherwise this wouldn't have happened. But the investigations will bear that out, not any discussions here (in which I have little faith, given the level of available relevant knowledge)

Out of my way.... It's America first. :usflag: IT'S AMERICA FIRST...:usflag: .......CRASH !
Typical US arrogance is most likely to blame for the collision.

US military personnel and sailor are never professional in the first place. They are worst than Somalia militant. This proves US sailor from deckman to captain are a bunch of cowboys.

You are all fool by American fanciful hollywood marketing. Thinking USN is always the best. This incident clearly proves otherwise. I am sure, this account by the Crystal captain is true. No sane people will dare to spew fake account and get sue by USN.

I am sure when the time of collision. The bridge on watch is playing cards or drinking... US soldier has history of poor discipline and manner.

US mariners have long history of getting drunk and causing accidents.
From US media:
Legally Drunk Ship's Captain Fired by Exxon
March 31, 1989|DAVID LAUTER | Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — The National Transportation Safety Board reported Thursday that the captain of the Exxon Valdez was legally drunk when he was tested some 10 hours after his tanker hit a reef last week, causing the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

After the NTSB's announcement, Exxon officials confirmed that they had fired the captain, 42-year-old Joseph Hazelwood, although investigators could not determine whether he had been drinking on the job.

Coast Guard Commandant Paul Yost called it "almost unbelievable" that the Exxon Valdez had strayed from a 10-mile-wide shipping channel to crash into Bligh Reef. "This was not a treacherous area," he said. " . . . your children could drive a tanker through it."

Top-level federal officials, meanwhile, reported to President Bush that, in the six days since the accident, only about 2% of the spilled oil has been cleaned up. While coordination of cleanup efforts has improved, they said, most of the 10 million gallons of spilled oil almost certainly never will be recovered from the once-pristine waters of Prince William Sound.
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/1989-03-31/news/mn-704_1_exxon-valdez

US Navy is not interested in revailing the facts:
We'll Probably Never Know the Real Story Behind the USS Fitzgerald Collision
Don't expect the US Navy to be forthcoming about what went wrong

In the wee small hours of Saturday morning, June 17, 2017, something happened that was not supposed to happen.

While in the territorial waters of Japan, the US Navy guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald was struck on the starboard side by the Philippine-flagged container ship ACX Crystal. Yet both the US Navy vessel and the container ship carried radar-based collision avoidance systems. These very expensive systems are designed to "see" the ship's surroundings, and also calculate a crash possibility.

All ships carry navigation lights, monitor radio broadcast, and no doubt would have the old reliable human lookouts on duty.

But according to the ACX Crystal's captain, the USS Fitzgerald failed to respond to warning signals before the collision took place. Quite revealing if true.

Now, collisions have happened before. One that comes to mind was when the USS Greeneville, a Los Angles class nuclear submarine, struck a Japanese training fishing trawler, the Ehime Maru, on February 9th, 2001.

The accident occurred after the USS Greeneville suddenly lurched out of the pacific waters near Hawaii—all for the benefit of several select VIP civilians onboard.

I'm not pulling your anchor-chain. It is all documented.

Whether it was the Pentagon's directive or the captain's showmanship that authorized this maneuver is a matter of conjecture. Why the sonar and periscope wasn't used, or simply overlooked by the young sailors manning a billion dollars worth of military hardware, will remain a secret of the Naval Board of Inquiry.

Are we beginning to notice a pattern?

Another example: BB-61—better known as the USS Iowa—made headlines when 47 sailors were killed in a gun turret explosion in April, 1989.

Inquires into the tragedy produced two conflicting conclusions. The US Navy theorized that the explosion was the handiwork of a suicidal sailor distraught over being rejected by a lover.

In this proposed scenario, it's claimed that the sailor used some sort of detonator to touch off the bags of powder used to charge and fire the gun. His family as well as other sailors disputed this crass and unsubstantiated conclusion and after another more exhausting investigation, the findings were conclusive enough to say that the over-ramming of powder into the gun's breech was the far more plausible cause.

Remarkably, the Navy has never reversed its initial conclusion. So how does this all tie into the Fitzgerald/Crystal encounter?

The US Navy will almost certainly do everything it can to sway public opinion away from the inconvenient or embarrassing truth about the Fitzgerald's collision. It seems unlikely that human error alone is the cause of this accident.

Did the USS Fitzgerald brass deliberately turn off the ship's sensors as part of a training exercise? Was its speed and course being altered to simulate a hostile action?

Make no mistake, this won't be the last we will hear of this kafuffle.

Seven sailors dying is a tragedy regardless from what port they sail - but don't expect the US Navy to be forthcoming about what went wrong.
Source: http://russia-insider.com/en/politi...story-behind-uss-fitzgerald-collision/ri20211

IMO US Navy will never admit it is guilty of causing the collision with ACX Crystal.

Back
Top Bottom