What's new

US seeks investigation over attacks on Hero Alom.

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

US seeks investigation over attacks on Hero Alom​

‘I would say that this type of political violence has no place in democratic elections’
Hero Alom 4
Dhaka Tribune

Tribune Report
Published: July 18, 2023 9:52 AM | Last updated: July 18, 2023 9:56 AM

The United States has sought an investigation into reports of violence over attacks on the independent candidate and YouTuber Ashraful Hossen Alom, better known as Hero Alom, during Monday's election in Dhaka-17 constituency.

The US wants the investigation to be conducted "thoroughly, transparently, and impartially, and to hold the perpetrators of violence to account.”

"I would say that this type of political violence has no place in democratic elections," State Department's spokesperson Matthew Millar replied to a question over the attacks on Hero Alom.

There have been no reports of violence throughout the day, except for the attacks on Hero Alom. Police arrested four persons related to the incident.

Ruling Awami League candidate Mohammad A Arafat, who made a landslide victory, condemned the attack and demanded exemplary punishment against the miscreants involved in this incident.

“If the attackers were from our party, they will get organizational punishment, and law enforcement agencies will do their job," he said.

He urged the media to help law enforcement agencies to identify the attackers through the video footages.
As the incident happened just before the ending time of the polls, he said the attack was carried out to make the election questionable as the day-long voting was being conducted peacefully."

The Election Commission and the observers also said the election was held peacefully.

The state department's spokesperson said they would expect the government of Bangladesh "to hold free and fair elections, and we continue to monitor it closely.

Attacked and assaulted, Hero Alom boycotts Dhaka-17 polls, says he will not run again under current government​

The Dhaka-17 bypoll candidate was attacked while leaving a polling centre on election day​

bdnews24-english%2F2023-07%2Fe2a4fbf9-c148-4ea0-86ab-ec85c74a59ab%2Fhero_alom_press_briefing_170723_03.jpg

Staff Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 17 July 2023, 08:42 PM
Updated : 17 July 2023, 08:42 PM
Dhaka-17 bypoll independent candidate and social media star Ashraful Alom aka Hero Alom has boycotted the election after being attacked while leaving the polling centre.
Alom says he will not contest in another political race under the current government.
“The whole nation has seen how they attacked me,” he said in a press conference from his home in Rampura on Monday.
“The mainstream media were there. It is clear from this attack on me that this election was not fair. This is not the first time I have been attacked, they attacked me in 2018 as well. They planned to beat and kill me.”
“They planned out the attack from this morning. They were waiting for an opportunity. They did not lay a hand on me while we visited different centres throughout the day. But, when we went to the last centre, we saw they were stamping ballots.”
“When we tried to apprehend them, they threw me out. The police were there and I told them they didn’t let me in.”
“As I was leaving through the gate, someone pushed me. I asked him, ‘Why did you push me?’. Then they started beating me and my agents.
“When I fell to the ground after being beaten, they kicked and punched me. They hit me on the head. I got up and they kept hitting me and chased me away. How fair can such an election be?”
Attacked and assaulted, Hero Alom boycotts Dhaka-17 polls, says he will not run again under current government

Asked whether he had entered the polling centre with some YouTubers, Alom said: “The police do not allow three or four people to enter, so how would we get in?”
He said he will send letters about the attack to the European Union, the US embassy, and any other places where it is necessary.
VOTING PEACEFUL DESPITE ATTACK: ELECTION COMMISSIONER
Election Commissioner Md Alamgir says voting in the Dhaka-17 bypoll proceeded ‘peacefully’, describing the attack on Alom as an incident ‘that occurred outside the polling centre’.
The commissioner made the statement to the media in front of the Election Commission building after polls closed on Monday.
Attacked and assaulted, Hero Alom boycotts Dhaka-17 polls, says he will not run again under current government

“The election was fair and peaceful,” he said. “This morning I went to inspect 8-10 polling centres myself and saw that things were peaceful. Another election commissioner accompanied me.”
“Voting was peaceful at all centres. We watched it on the CC cameras. There were some municipal polls outside Dhaka. All of them were fair.”
When asked about the attack on Alom, Alamgir said, “Voting took place at 124 polling centres. An isolated incident in one location doesn’t make it an unfair election.”
“We have received some information about the attack on the independent candidate, but we don’t have the whole picture. From what we know, the independent candidate tried to enter the polling centre with many supporters. He was accompanied by nearly 70 YouTubers.”
That is why police turned Alom away from the centre, he said.
“Police explained the situation to them and sent them away. This means there was no incident at the polling centre. But as he reached the street, he was pushed and physically assaulted.”
“We do not condone this. It is an offence. The police have arrested one person. They have been instructed to find those involved and take action.”

No fan of Hero Alom here, but he is the perfect pawn for regime change for the US in Bangladesh now. Sacrificial goat in other words.

The US/EU are going to take this and make it a Cause célèbre for unleashing all forces and pulling out all the stops to unseat Hasina - just you watch. This is the start of a long line of events.

Bhakt idiots may jump up and down, but their darling Hasina is going down the drain. Too bad - she won't get any help from her saviour Modi. US doesn't care, she's a goner.

Ruling Awami League candidate Mohammad A Arafat, who made a landslide victory, condemned the attack and demanded exemplary punishment against the miscreants involved in this incident.

Fakery and crocodile tears from this Kumra-Potash is just that - fake.....

Last edited:
if USA is worried about this imagine the consequences of fraud election on national level.

Momen criticises foreign missions for issuing statements over Hero Alam attack​

UNB || BusinessInsider
Published: 20:08, 19 July 2023

Momen criticises foreign missions for issuing statements over Hero Alam attack

File photo

Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen has expressed his displeasure over the joint statement regarding the assault on Hero Alam, issued by foreign missions in Dhaka.

He wondered whether such incidents happening in other countries result in similar reactions.

“That’s not acceptable. They create noises when something happens in Bangladesh only. But don't do the same as a group when similar things happen in the US, UK, France, or in other countries," Momen said when a reporter asked for his comments on the issue.

Momen wanted to know from reporters whether these countries say anything about the investigation progress when Bangladeshi citizens are killed abroad.

"Ask them (foreign diplomats). Why don't you ask them? Why don't they give statements then?" — he said.

Momen said the perpetrators who assaulted Hero Alam need to be identified as this could have been done to create uncertainty ahead of the next national election. "We don't know. You never know… whether to foil the election, these misdeeds are staged."

"Give me an investigative report on which countries issued such statements when similar things happen in their own countries," he said.

The foreign minister told reporters that it is time to stop publishing or broadcasting such statements.

Responding to a question, Momen said US President Joe Biden wants to strengthen the relations with Bangladesh and for that reason, senior officials keep coming here.

Earlier, foreign missions in Dhaka called for a full investigation and accountability of the perpetrators involved in the assault on Hero Alam.

In a joint statement, the foreign missions said, “We condemn the July 17 attack on Dhaka-17 constituency candidate Ashraful Alam, popularly known as Hero Alam. Violence has no place in the democratic process.”

“Everyone involved in the upcoming elections should ensure that they are free, fair, and peaceful,” said the diplomatic missions in Dhaka.

The joint statement was signed by the embassies/high commissions of Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States and the delegation of the European Union.

Mohammad Ali Arafat, who won the Dhaka-17 by-polls, said what happened “just 20 minutes before the end of the election is uncalled for.”

Amnesty International condemns the attack on Hero Alom

“I strongly condemn it. The involved parties could not be Awami League’s well-wishers. It was done with the intention of maligning the election,” he said.

The culprits should be arrested and brought to justice, Arafat said.

Hero Alam, an independent candidate contesting the Dhaka-17 by-election, was physically assaulted while leaving a polling centre in Banani area on July 17.

Mohammad Ali Arafat, who won the Dhaka-17 by-polls, said what happened “just 20 minutes before the end of the election is uncalled for.”

“I strongly condemn it. The involved parties could not be Awami League’s well-wishers. It was done with the intention of maligning the election,” he said.

The culprits should be arrested and brought to justice, Arafat said.

This is a cruel joke and fakery - when Arafat's people beat up Hero Alam. Fact.

Back
Top Bottom