What's new

US must end discrimination towards Pakistan: Qureshi

Pakistani Man

BANNED
Reaction score
US must end discrimination towards Pakistan: Qureshi

Monday, 03 May, 2010

The foreign minister urged the US to provide civil nuclear technology to overcome acute energy shortage in the country. — File Photo

ISLAMABAD: Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi on Monday stressed that United States must end discriminatory behavior towards Pakistan and provide civil nuclear technology to overcome acute energy shortage in the country.

Qureshi said that counter-terrorism campaign would not be successful unless assistance under Kerry-Lugar Bill and Coalition Support Fund could not be provided in time.

Foreign Office sources told DawnNews that while talking to US Congressman Howard Burman, Qureshi said Pakistan is seriously suffering from economic down fall, electricity and water crises and friends like US should expedite it’s assistance to Pakistan.

He maintained that Pak-US strategic dialogues were “a real success” and it paved the way to move forward in every sphere of life while bilateral strategic partnership was imperative for peace and stability in the region.

The US Congressman lauded Pakistan’s efforts to eradicate the menace of terrorism and said US wants Pakistan’s stability because it is closely linked with the peace and security of the region and world at large.

Burman appreciated Pakistan’s government and military’s role in the ongoing anti-terrorism campaign and assured that US will help Pakistan’s economy to restructure itself.

He said that after the Pak-US strategic dialogue, bilateral relations entered into the new era but the only thing which US wants is the accountable and transparent utilization of funds. — DawnNews

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | US must end discrimination towards Pakistan: Qureshi

This is funny! How is US discrimination against pakistan? By giving you AID in Billions to run a Bankrupt Economy or By supplying Free F-16s or Attacking by Drones North pakistan where Taliban is beheading solders?

This is funny! How is US discrimination against pakistan? By giving you AID in Billions to run a Bankrupt Economy or By supplying Free F-16s or Attacking by Drones North pakistan where Taliban is beheading solders?

They are not satisfied with what they are getting.They want a nuclear deal similar to the one offered to India.May i remind Mr qureshi abt the track record of Pakistan regarding nuclear weapons.They started their program by stealing designs of centrifuges from Belgium and later on sold it to Libya ,Iran etc.Some people even say that Pakistani scientists met taliban officials.

They are not satisfied with what they are getting.They want a nuclear deal similar to the one offered to India.May i remind Mr qureshi abt the track record of Pakistan regarding nuclear weapons.They started their program by stealing designs of centrifuges from Belgium and later on sold it to Libya ,Iran etc.Some people even say that Pakistani scientists met taliban officials.

An Indian nuclear scientists was abducted and later found dead. God knows whether he was taken by one of the huge number of terrorist groups that operate in India (e.g. Naxalites) or a foreign agent who wanted to extract secrets?

The US recently had nukes fly across the country without the USAF even knowing what was going on. Various safeguards were conveniently violated with no failsafe getting triggered.

India smuggled in nuclear tools and technologies into the country and that's part of the reason why the US has sanctioned Indian organizations such as ISRO, Bhabha, DRDO, Bharat Dynamics and others. You can check all these names on the latest US Export Control End user list here:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/txt/744spir.txt

Israel acquired nuclear weapons from whom? How did it get the tools and technologies. Did this magically happen without proliferation?

How did South Africa get nuclear capabilities? It is well known that they got them from Israel, therefore, here's another example of proliferation for you.

Don't be blind to reality and try to take a holier-than-thou position. The accusations against Pakistan are drummed up only by those who are either uneducated and don't know the history of nuclear proliferation, or those who have a vested interest to cast aspersions on Pakistan... such as the Indian lobby.

The reality is that Pakistan is acquiring new nuclear technology on a daily basis and it is unopposed in this drive by all the major world powers. You may have seen the recent announcement concerning two new nuclear power plants being built in Pakistan by China. Other than India, who is making a big fuss about these things?

An Indian nuclear scientists was abducted and later found dead. God knows whether he was taken by one of the huge number of terrorist groups that operate in India (e.g. Naxalites) or a foreign agent who wanted to extract secrets?
The US recently had nukes fly across the country without the USAF even knowing what was going on. Various safeguards were conveniently violated with no failsafe getting triggered.

India smuggled in nuclear tools and technologies into the country and that's part of the reason why the US has sanctioned Indian organizations such as ISRO, Bhabha, DRDO, Bharat Dynamics and others. You can check all these names on the latest US Export Control End user list here:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/txt/744spir.txt

Israel acquired nuclear weapons from whom? How did it get the tools and technologies. Did this magically happen without proliferation?

How did South Africa get nuclear capabilities? It is well known that they got them from Israel, therefore, here's another example of proliferation for you.

Don't be blind to reality and try to take a holier-than-thou position. The accusations against Pakistan are drummed up only by those who are either uneducated and don't know the history of nuclear proliferation, or those who have a vested interest to cast aspersions on Pakistan... such as the Indian lobby.

The reality is that Pakistan is acquiring new nuclear technology on a daily basis and it is unopposed in this drive by all the major world powers. You may have seen the recent announcement concerning two new nuclear power plants being built in Pakistan by China. Other than India, who is making a big fuss about these things?

The scientist u r talking abt had drowned in the river.His dead body was found the very next day.Moreover he worked in a civilian nuclear establishment and not a military one.
Isreal had made its own weapons just like India.Isreal bought a reactor from france and placed it in Dimona.The reactor is still operational .

The scientist u r talking abt had drowned in the river.His dead body was found the very next day.Moreover he worked in a civilian nuclear establishment and not a military one.

Who knows what happened with him prior to him drowning in the river. One can raise all sorts of alarm and accusations.

Isreal had made its own weapons just like India.Isreal bought a reactor from france and placed it in Dimona.The reactor is still operational .

That is a lie. For both Israel and India.

Qureshi said that counter-terrorism campaign would not be successful unless assistance under Kerry-Lugar Bill and Coalition Support Fund could not be provided in time.

Please excuse me for my poor grammar skills, but could anyone please elaborate what this quoted statement really implies? I spent like 10 minutes and couldn't make out.

Who knows what happened with him prior to him drowning in the river. One can raise all sorts of alarm and accusations.

Weird logic TL. The nuclear scientist could have died of any reason yet you think it best to link it nuclear proliferation?

The problem with Pakistan isn't that you got your Nuclear tech through unfair means. You are right India, Israel and SA didn't exactly use the right path. But the problem for Pakistan is that, your most esteemed nuclear scientist and national hero ran an illegal nuclear tech mandi for a number of years. And you refuse to either prosecute him or allow him to be interrogated by any other agency. The reasons could be any- Loss of face, revealing of names of other people etc. But this lenient attitude towards nuclear proliferation coupled with a dodgy past is what makes Pakistan a nuclear pariah.

No.The proliferation didnt start from pakistan. It was all US game plan to get pak some nuclear weapons to confront India and make Indian foreign policy unstable.US clearly knows everything that pakistan was doing and even supported pakistanis cause to became a nuclear state.

It is only recently their foreign policy took an U turn towards pakistan and is regretting its mistake.

No hogwash or BS....... Pakistan getting a India like nuke deal is a dream come true for pakistan.
What we visualise here is pakistan is after US begging a nuclear deal,while US did all the dirty work for India to sign the deal.
US convinced all the NSG members to get the waiver,but in case of pakistan? it has to be end of the world to get a nuke deal.

Recently pakistan is gaining extra rating points w.r.t terrorists and their sponserships. Any terrorist attack traces back to pakistani terrorists.whoever want to risk the planet by offering a free nuke deal?:what:

No.The proliferation didnt start from pakistan. It was all US game plan to get pak some nuclear weapons to confront India and make Indian foreign policy unstable.US clearly knows everything that pakistan was doing and even supported pakistanis cause to became a nuclear state.

It is only recently their foreign policy took an U turn towards pakistan and is regretting its mistake.

No hogwash or BS....... Pakistan getting a India like nuke deal is a dream come true for pakistan.
What we visualise here is pakistan is after US begging a nuclear deal,while US did all the dirty work for India to sign the deal.
US convinced all the NSG members to get the waiver,but in case of pakistan? it has to be end of the world to get a nuke deal.

Recently pakistan is gaining extra rating points w.r.t terrorists and their sponserships. Any terrorist attack traces back to pakistani terrorists.whoever want to risk the planet by offering a free nuke deal?:what:

I have completely different view...NUke Deals comes with IAEA Safegaurds and lot of inspections... In other words it is not easy to use fuel provided for anything other than electricity... I do not buy Pakistan proliferation record to do anything with her not getting nuclear deal... It was US who did allow them have their hands on nukes in the first place...I honestly do not see any real reason for US to do this favor to Pakistan...With India something big was required to start a new era(read lure Indian Markets - consumer and defence)

Honestly from Indian POV i do not see any reason for us to oppose this deal...The worst case scenario is that it will release pressure from non-compliance reactors and they can simply concentrate on creating bombs...However my counter question is there are already enough bombs in South Asia to keep both India and Pak at bay...So IMO status quo doesn't change from Indian perspective...In fact it will help Pakistan meet her energy needs..So we should whole heartedly support this deal or atleast not oppose it and who knows this gesture will help reducing tentions with them...

Last edited:
I have completely different view...NUke Deals comes with IAEA Safegaurds with lot of inspections... In other words it is not easy to use fuel provided for anything other than electricity... I do not buy Pakistan proliferation record to do anything with her not getting nuclear deal... It was US who did allow them have their hands on nukes in the first place...

Honestly from Indian POV i do not see any reason for us to oppose this deal...The worst case scenario is that it will release pressure from non-compliance reactors and they can simply concentrate on creating bombs...However my counter question is there are already enough bombs in South Asia to keep both India and Pak at bay...So IMO status quo doesn't change from Indian perspective...In fact it will help Pakistan meet her energy needs..So we should whole heartedly support this deal or atleast not oppose it and who knows this gesture will help reducing tentions with them...

Well to be fair, a nuke deal would only help Pakistan solve its energy problems as it will for India. The common Pak people would prob end up being the real beneficiaries. And yes, I dont think India should have a problem as a deal would come with safeguards.

But from a western POV, what worries them is a repeat of the AQ Khan episode. Though the probability of it happening is low, they dont want another scientist selling nuclear tech to other countries.

Let me talk like my guru deva chanakyan now.
There is no point of India letting this pak-Us nuclear deal go through. Its a loose-loose situation for India.
Just like India,pak can build more bumbs for total annihilation of India in a nuclear war.current pak nuclear inventory is not enough to completely wipe out india,bringing ABM into equation and pre-emptive strikes.
You can only put civilian reactors under IAEA safeguards,while the mil reactors are not(means more bum material production capability alike India)

It was pakistan fault to fail to block Indo-US nuke deal.If I am india, then I will certainly try and put all my resources to block such deal.After all pakistan is my enemy and all the terror attacks in India and world were planned in pakistan(my view point w.r.t nuke deal blocking)

It a soverign nation cant control its own state and stop terrorism, how can I trust the same nation by supporting its nuke deal? (India POV)
Pakistan is a sworn enemy of India, then let it be.I dont have to worry about the life of the people in the enemy land where 99% of the population call for nuking of India( My chanakyan POV)

If its the energy crisis that is pushing people , then let them tackle the terrorism first,and bring those convicted to justice.We will think about being a friendly neighbour(whole Indian POV)

See....I am not bringing in the kashmir issue here.My only concern is the terrorism(where significant part participate and support)
we saw people supporting Osama,we same same people having fun on the night of 26/11.Also,we heard a voice " we would even like to eat grass to be a nuclear state".
Even if my nationality is not Indian and was born in some no mans Island,I would still oppose this deal.(this has nothing to do with me being an Indian born)

Who knows what happened with him prior to him drowning in the river. One can raise all sorts of alarm and accusations..

An accusation without proof will gather no mass.

That is a lie. For both Israel and India.

now this what called a blatant lie.Accusing with no facts.
Provide valid facts along with solid reasoning.till then its just a rolling stone.

Let me talk like my guru deva chanakyan now.
There is no point of India letting this pak-Us nuclear deal go through. Its a loose-loose situation for India.

Mauryan Sir i disagree.... i will share my opinion...

Just like India,pak can build more bumbs for total annihilation of India in a nuclear war.current pak nuclear inventory is not enough to completely wipe out india,bringing ABM into equation and pre-emptive strikes.
I am sorry but i see this logic flawed...If we go by records they already have 80 nukes in their arsenal...don't you think it is enough if a deterrant already in place?? India attacked with 80 nukes and Pakistan with 100 or more Indian nukes will not leave anything in South Asia anyways...So avoiding complete annhilation don't sound a victoy to my ears....

On contrary India supporting or atleast not opposing this deal can create an atmosphere of trust and may help in peace...

You can only put civilian reactors under IAEA safeguards,while the mil reactors are not(means more bum material production capability alike India)
I know that Sir...Though thanks for re-iterating...

It was pakistan fault to fail to block Indo-US nuke deal.If I am india, then I will certainly try and put all my resources to block such deal.After all pakistan is my enemy and all the terror attacks in India and world were planned in pakistan(my view point w.r.t nuke deal blocking)
You are wrong...Pakistan establishment can be my enemy not the populace...This deal will bring relief to the populace and not significant change in status quo...No matter how many nukes i have i cannnot completely eliminate second strike capability...with India's no first strike policy all we need is an effective second and third strike capability which anyways is in place /work in progress... My stand status quo will not change with or without this deal...

It a soverign nation cant control its own state and stop terrorism, how can I trust the same nation by supporting its nuke deal? (India POV)Pakistan is a sworn enemy of India, then let it be.I dont have to worry about the life of the people in the enemy land where 99% of the population call for nuking of India( My chanakyan POV)

Same is true even today... The same nation has got nukes and so far they are safe...

If its the energy crisis that is pushing people , then let them tackle the terrorism first,and bring those convicted to justice.We will think about being a friendly neighbour(whole Indian POV)

See....I am not bringing in the kashmir issue here.My only concern is the terrorism(where significant part participate and support)
we saw people supporting Osama,we same same people having fun on the night of 26/11.Also,we heard a voice " we would even like to eat grass to be a nuclear state".
Even if my nationality is not Indian and was born in some no mans Island,I would still oppose this deal.(this has nothing to do with me being an Indian born)
This is your POV and you are right to have it... However i do see more benefits in supporting/not opposing this deal than opposing it...

Please excuse me for my poor grammar skills, but could anyone please elaborate what this quoted statement really implies? I spent like 10 minutes and couldn't make out.

Some people call it a veiled threat. Some call it extortion. Some call it as compensation for doing 'dirty work'. You can interpret it whichever way you like.

Perhaps a veiled message, because that statement basically says that 'if the US assistance is provided on time, the counter-terrorism campaign won't be successful'.
The trolls are coming out of the woodwork I see.

Perhaps you lot should spend some time actually reading about the events in FATA before flaming.

I assume even people of your intellectual capacity are aware that millions have been displaced in anti-terrorism operations? I assume you are aware that the militants blew up hundreds of schools, clinics, government offices, bridges etc. in FATA? I assume that you are aware that these militants sheltered in the houses of civilians which were subsequently targeted and destroyed? I assume that you are aware that many parts of FATA are underdeveloped and the central principle of a successful COIN campaign is to win over the local population?

I assume you are also aware that the US and Pakistan have an agreement (since the Afghan invasion) of reimbursing Pakistan for certain COIN operations and logistical support such as refueling etc.

I assume you are also aware that Pakistan is suffering from a severe economic crunch, largely due to the WoT.

So, given all of the above, the GoP requires hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions, for reconstruction and development in the affected areas. The US government, having its own interest in stabilizing the region, agreed to both provide reimbursements under Coalition Support Funds (CSF) and additional funds for development under the Kerry-Lugar Law (KLL).

The GoP is merely pointing out that in the absence of funding, the projects those funds were meant for cannot be implemented, and when the lack of funds impacts reconstruction and military operations that is a direct setback to COIN operations.

Now you trolls can take a break for a week.

Back
Top Bottom