What's new

US found Zia ‘most patriotic liar’ on nukes, reveal declassified memos

the one who was made a scapegoat was Gen Niazi, if Bhutto had given Mujib power this would never had happened, Bhutto was the greatest traitor Pakistan could have ever had
Bhutto eventually agreed power sharing with Mujeeb when he returned home from Dhaka. Meanwhile the army had already begun operation searchlight without his approval.

Bhutto eventually agreed power sharing with Mujeeb when he returned home from Dhaka. Meanwhile the army had already begun operation searchlight without his approval.
no he didnt, after Op had begun Bhutto said "thank God Pakistan has been saved"

no he didnt, after Op had begun Bhutto said "thank God Pakistan has been saved"
there are some disputed accounts. I have read them both. What actually happened was that Yahya had given Bhutto ultimatum to form an alliance or face martial law. He eventually agreed division of seats and returned home. It was then he learned of the operation and with joy said: Pakistan had been saved. Meaning it has been saved from the rule of Mujeeb's Awami League which he disgraced.

He had his good points and extremely bad ones, one of which we continue to suffer the greatest blow back in our history i.e. terrorism.
so its his SOLE fault?? nobody else shares the blame?

there are some disputed accounts. I have read them both. What actually happened was that Yahya had given Bhutto ultimatum to form an alliance or face martial law. He eventually agreed division of seats and returned home. It was then he learned of the operation and with joy said: Pakistan had been saved. Meaning it has been saved from the rule of Mujeeb's Awami League which he disgraced.
why did he want power sharing? when Mujib had won fair and square

why did he want power sharing? when Mujib had won fair and square
He won almost all seats in West Pakistan, while Mujeeb won almost all in the East. There was some seat adjustment to be made before session of assembly.

zia_670.jpg

Photo of former Pakistani military ruler Mohammed Zia ul-Haq. “Either he (Zia) really does not know or is the most superb and patriotic liar I have ever met,” US diplomat Vernon Walters wrote to the State Department, as revealed in secret US diplomatic memos declassified Thursday.—File Photo

WASHINGTON: US officials concluded in the 1980s that Pakistan was lying about its nuclear program but muted criticism due to Islamabad’s support against the Soviets in Afghanistan, declassified documents showed.

The memos released Thursday reveal some of the behind-the-scenes drama between the United States and Pakistan during Ronald Reagan’s presidency, foreshadowing current-day debates in the uneasy war partnership.

The documents included an account of a secret mission in June 1982 by a US envoy who confronted Pakistani military ruler Mohammed Zia ul-Haq with a letter from Reagan and said the United States had “incontrovertible” proof that Pakistan was seeking nuclear weapons.

The emissary, veteran US diplomat and translator Vernon Walters, said that Zia was “extraordinarily courteous, relaxed” and explained that he had no knowledge of nuclear weapons development but would check with his subordinates.

“Either he really does not know or is the most superb and patriotic liar I have ever met,” Walters wrote to the State Department.

The documents, some obtained after requests under the US Freedom of Information Act, were released to the National Security Archive at George Washington University, which made them available to AFP in advance.

Pakistan tested an atomic bomb in 1998, days after tests by neighbouring India. The United States banned assistance to Pakistan in 1990 – soon after the Soviets left Afghanistan – after concluding that it was developing nuclear weapons.

But Reagan exempted Pakistan from a law requiring sanctions, named after then senator Larry Pressler, even though the memos said that officials knew that the country was moving toward nuclear weapons.

The documents showed that the Reagan administration was genuinely concerned about Pakistan’s nuclear program, fearing it would trigger instability, and repeatedly warned Zia that Congress could cut off assistance.

“There is overwhelming evidence that Zia has been breaking his assurances to us. We are absolutely confident that our intelligence is genuine and accurate,” then secretary of state George Shultz wrote in a November 1982 memo to Reagan.

But Shultz recalled the “essential role” played by Zia in Afghanistan, where US and Pakistani agents funneled weapons to Islamic guerrillas who successfully fought a Soviet invasion.

“A rupture of our relationship would call into question a central tenet of this administration’s foreign policy – strong support for our friends,” Shultz wrote, calling the Afghan effort “the most visible evidence of the US commitment to counter Soviet military thrusts worldwide.” The memos said that as far back as 1982, US intelligence detected that Pakistani agents were seeking suspicious items from countries including Belgium, Finland, Japan, Sweden and Turkey.

Years later, such efforts were discovered to be the work of scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan, the father of Pakistan’s nuclear bomb. He is also accused of running a vast international black market of nuclear goods.

One secret assessment said that Pakistan was already believed to have enough for one nuclear weapon by October 1985 with assistance from China.

The US memos acknowledged that Pakistan was unlikely to comply with US pleas on its nuclear program in light of its concern over India, which has fought three full-fledged wars with Pakistan since independence in 1947.

The documents said that the United States was also urging “restraint” from India, which had strained relations with Washington during the 1980s.

Despite the criticism of its nuclear program, the United States resumed assistance to Pakistan to the tune of nearly $20 billion after it again offered support in Afghanistan following the September 11, 2001 attacks.
US found Zia ‘most patriotic liar’ on nukes, reveal declassified memos - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
The best leader I have ever seen in the History of Pakistan after Jinnah.

They are bound to praise the man who worked for advancement of American interest in the region , now aren't they ? The ' most patriotic liar on nukes ' then who started the journey to the path of self destruction , where the country is today . Extremism , radicalization and terrorism are the order of day , all hail to the Commander of the Faithfuls Zia-ul-Haq . The man who started the Afghan Jihad and introduced and supported the " Jihadi " mindset in Pakistan , the consequences of which are more than apparent in the country . Not to mention his other gifts to the country - Afghan refugees , Kalashnikov and Heroin culture . My countrymen really have short term memories , I mean looking at the comments . Praise the man for his good qualities but do not forget his bad ones , the latter as it happens outweigh the former by a big margin .
This is a subcontinent phenomena. If a Police SP is soft spoken and treat the people nicely, then people will say " Ye to Hijra Gernail hai ". But if he hits everyone with his shoe then people will say " Ye hai real Mard. "

He won almost all seats in West Pakistan, while Mujeeb won almost all in the East. There was some seat adjustment to be made before session of assembly.
so?
there was no way Bhutto could come in power

Except dividing the country?
Bhutto was no good for Pakistan.
He was somewhat a madari like your pagal Khan. Talk big Muslim ummah, atom bomb etc and lure people with emotional speeches. That idiot should never had announced nuclear program, but he did for sake of what?

All the economic boom which Pakistan was bound to achieve was neutralized by his nationalization policies.
You so called liberals can't stand a few flogging pictures from Zia's regime but you have no problem with the Shah of Iran style FSF of Bhutto.
Bhutto was no saint and Zia was definitely better than him.

Lets discuss that, can you tell us what exactly is the oath?
I am sure its not" I solemnly declare that when any country asks where and how many nukes Pakistan has, I'll tell them exact number and locations...."

Your marde momin swore an oath on Quran. But I guess being typical Pakistanis use religion when its in their interests but they throw it away when its not.

My observations about you points 3,4, & 5 in negatives
3 - |In terms of economic growth, his tenure was the second best after Ayub Khans tenure, our growth in those years was about 7~8 percent per annum. Economic downfall in 90's has nothing to do with his economic policies, it was PPP's era with Mr. 10% starting to show his colors.

4 - Contrary to your belief, Pakistani Generals have proven to be far better than Pakistani politicians in long term planning, politicians planning is ad-hoc from one election to another and focussed around doing what helps them win the next election regardless of its short-term or long-term impact on the country, one prime example is Kalabagh Dam, ruined by politicians.

5 - has nothing to do with him, it's the 73's confused constitution with one non -functional president and 4 non-functional governors and their families to be fed from tax paying citizens money and the way things are the incompetent and corrupt politicians and their stupid and blind voters, I don't see that changing anytime in the near future.

(i think Merge that page with that one) @Jungibaaz
The Caliber of Gen. Zia | Page 4

I hate him....& i have my reasons but whether we like him or NOT...He preserved his name in the history of pakistan.....and Iam pasting my comment about his (-) & (+) actions

Zia have Some Bonus Points - Although he is not my favourite Politician....I used to hate him but he have scored in the innings of Pakistan..
Positives:
1. Busted Russia (Its the Sole task of High Caliber General not Politician)
2. Avoided war with India (which was necessary bcoz of Russians presence in Afghanistan)
3. Atomic Program Completed (started by Bhutto but he absorbed & diverted International pressure)

Negatives:
He killed my favorite politician Bhutto
2. Dramatization of Religion Islam with yearly Episodes to prolong his reign
3. Economic Bubble: We enjoyed HEALTHY Economy in His tenure but it was a BUBBLE. As the foreign funding of Cash inflow stopped - Economy gone with severe Repercussions in late 90's.
Instead of investing Foreign US AID to help Economy to Grow like making Motorways / Gwadar in that early time, we can have much higher Edge today.... (He was full time GENERAL not Politician or Economist)
4. He was a general So he can only think next 1 or 2 years, Not 20 to 50 years ahead of his time. Today we're dealing Fatal mistakes done by him.
Democracy or Presidency or Else....(Still today we dont know... what type of System of Gov we want)

Back
Top Bottom