What's new

US Deep space outpost on the far side of the moon by 2020? Amazing!

anon45

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nasa plots deep-space base beyond the dark side of the moon as best hope for exploration within the decade | Mail Online

Nasa wants to build a manned base which can be 'parked' beyond the dark side of the moon as a 'gateway spacecraft', to serve as a starting point for manned expeditions to Mars.
It would remain permanently in space 277,000 miles from Earth - in context, the International Space Station is just 230 miles away.
The spaceship would expand man's horizons - but it will require much problem-solving to figure out how to protect astronauts from radiation, and how to re-supply the ship from a quarter of a million miles away.
article-0-15327667000005DC-183_634x369.jpg

On the way to Mars: Nasa is exploring the possibility of placing an Orion space station in a stable location on the far side of the moon

The Orlando Sentinel reports that Nasa will likely use parts left over from the construction of the ISS, and will need to use the Space Launch System rocket to get the craft out of the atmosphere.

The launch project is currently being built at an estimated cost of $3billion a year, and should be ready in 2017.
Nasa then plans to begin building the moon outpost two years after that.
The Orlando Sentinal reports that Nasa spoke to the White House about the idea last month, but whether the U.S. Congress will support the multi-billion-dollar project is not yet known.
The U.S. space agency is forming a team to draw up plans for the outpost, to be parked at a spot in space known as the Earth-moon libration point 2 (EML-2).

article-0-15328AAF000005DC-729_634x481.jpg

The most remote hotel in the universe: The Orion spacecraft will return humans to the moon and prepare for future voyages to Mars and other destinations in our solar system

Libration points are 'parking spots' in space where an object can be balanced between the gravitational pull of two large masses - such as the Earth and the moo, meaning Nasa can effectively 'park' the vehicle there.
Nasa's report said that placing a spacecraft at the Earth-Moon Lagrange Point 'beyond the moon as a test area for human access to deep space is the best near-term option to develop required flight experience and mitigate risk.'
Nasa spokesman David Weaver said: 'There are many options - and many routes - being discussed on our way to the Red Planet.
'In addition to the moon and an asteroid, other options may be considered as we look for ways to buy down risk - and make it easier - to get to Mars.'

Absolutely amazing stuff coming out as we gear up for the path to sending men to Mars!

Really Amazing Stuff . :taz::taz: Cant wait for the results .

@anon45 america claim to went on moon several time.... They went in 1970s and after that they never went.... Why? Was 1970s more advance compared to todays technology? i saw the spaceship when landed on moon.... It took off vertical.... i also heard F-35 (vertical takeoff jet fighter) still facing problems in modern age.... Why? (not comparing jet fighter with non stealth 4 leg capsule but america never builded a vertical takeoff jet fighter) they buyed sea harriers from uk.... America can takeoff verticaly from moon and not earth.... Why? The day america will really go on moon i will salute them.... For now they cant go beyond earth's orbit.... They are not allowed to. The day they try they will be roasted.... They knows it....

@anon45 america claim to went on moon several time.... They went in 1970s and after that they never went.... Why?

There was originally supposed to be one Apollo mission, but in the rush to get to the Moon within the decade they overproduced on craft, and so multiple missions were budgeted. Of course these craft were one time use only, after they were used up no budget existed to build more (because we 'won' the space race to the moon and so the public and congress lost interest in further moon missions) As time went on those who worked on the program were scattered around the country and the institutional knowledge required was lost as those who worked on it retired, technology advanced, infrastructure changed making certain processes obsolete, philisophy of NASA changed (more risk adverse now) etc.

Was 1970s more advance compared to todays technology?
No, but times change and the infrastructure that existed then is different from the infrastructure that exists now, with regards to in house manufacturing and outsourcing manufacturing. Safety standards are also different as well as budgeting and public interest.

i saw the spaceship when landed on moon.... It took off vertical.... i also heard F-35 (vertical takeoff jet fighter) still facing problems in modern age.... Why? (not comparing jet fighter with non stealth 4 leg capsule but america never builded a vertical takeoff jet fighter) they buyed sea harriers from uk.... America can takeoff verticaly from moon and not earth.... Why? The day america will really go on moon i will salute them.... For now they cant go beyond earth's orbit.... They are not allowed to. The day they try they will be roasted.... They knows it....

Now I don't have inside knowledge on the Apollo capsules or the F-35B, but I expect some differences between vertical takeoff from the moon by a space capsule and vertical takeoff on earth by a fighter jet.

It is an indisputable fact that the US has gone to the moon, and also a fact that we couldn't go today. That said the US is rebuilding and expanding on its lost knowledge, and our space industry is expanding within our country at a rate unmatched by any other nation or conglomeration of nations. Already the private sector is beginning resupply to the ISS (look forward to Oct. 7th!), I can't imagine how it will look in a decade.:usflag:

@anon45 its hard to digest when you said infrastructure back than was different from what infrastructure we have now.... In technology wise are you trying to say we going backward instead of forward?.... i want human to be on moon but its the fact that none of them ever went to planet moon because we are not allowed.... i always believed that we went on moon until when i saw the nil armstrong interview.... In the end he said we dont care what people thinks about fake moon landing.... And than he looked at camera and suddenly his eyes when sideways.... Big sign of a liar (sorry about that as he no longer with us).... There were so many things been proven that moon landing was fake.... 1969 NASA wasnt prepared to make a fullproof fake landing (if they try to make fake landing today than it would be difficult to catch it because of technology but in old days nothing was fullproof).... Many scientists already spoken the truth and they all pointed at gaps that NASA forgot to fill to make fake landing look like real.... All scientists given reason too. They all pointed at Soviot union.... Landing on Moon would make NASA the leader in space technology and research.... And it did.... However a lie cant stay hidden for long.... It will come out and it did....
The Moon Shots Were Faked
YouTube - 100% PROOF THE MOON LANDING WAS FAKED!
HowStuffWorks "More Fake Moon Landing Evidence"

This is where I like US. These guys dominate and never let the competitor ahead of them. :cheers:

Where's the money going to come from?

For something this grand in scale, it really should be an international effort with funding by every nation.

Where's the money going to come from?

For something this grand in scale, it really should be an international effort with funding by every nation.

its currently unfunded and there are no plans to fund it, thus this outpost is unlikely to ever come true.

It's certainly something to think about in the future, we'll see if NASA comes out with something concrete once the ISS retires.

Back
Top Bottom