What's new

US commander signals peace talks with Taliban

Silent observer

Reaction score

BBC, 25th jan 2010

The top US commander in Afghanistan has said a negotiated peace with the Taliban is the way forward.

Gen Stanley McChrystal told the UK's Financial Times that there had been "enough fighting" and he wanted a political solution to the conflict.

President Obama's deployment of 30,000 extra US troops to Afghanistan would weaken the Taliban enough to force it to agree a peace deal, he said.

He added that the Taliban could help run the country in future.

His comments come ahead of an international conference on Afghanistan due to be held in London later this week.

"I'd like everybody to walk out of London with a renewed commitment, and that commitment is to the right outcome for the Afghan people," Gen McChrystal said.

Recently, Afghan President Hamid Karzai told the BBC that he planned to introduce a scheme to attract Taliban fighters back to normal life by offering money and jobs.

He said he would offer to pay and resettle Taliban fighters to come over to his side.

Mr Karzai said he hoped to win backing for his plan from the US and UK at the London conference.

'Right outcome'

"As a soldier, my personal feeling is that there's been enough fighting," Gen McChrystal told the Financial Times.

"I believe that a political solution to all conflicts is the inevitable outcome. And it's the right outcome," he said.

Gen McChrystal said the arrival of the extra 30,000 US troops pledged by President Obama and the additional 7,000 troops promised by other Nato countries should deliver "very demonstrably positive" progress.

"It's not my job to extend olive branches, but it is my job to help set conditions where people in the right positions can have options on the way forward," he said.

Gen McChrystal also said that the Taliban could have a role in a future Afghan government.

"I think any Afghans can play a role if they focus on the future, and not the past," he said.

comments are welcome

BBC, 25th jan 2010

The top US commander in Afghanistan has said a negotiated peace with the Taliban is the way forward.

Gen Stanley McChrystal told the UK's Financial Times that there had been "enough fighting" and he wanted a political solution to the conflict.

President Obama's deployment of 30,000 extra US troops to Afghanistan would weaken the Taliban enough to force it to agree a peace deal, he said.

He added that the Taliban could help run the country in future.

Stratfor asked a question Regarding talks with taliban and existence of Osama bin Laden. I have submitted my comments which are re-produced here.

Osama Bin Laden was darling of US for 10 years in Afghan War - become most wanted terrorist for US after 1990. Shaikh was a leader of a state which had no leader and Osma was holding the state as he had no state. US missed his arrest in Tora Bora only Osama phone was taken into possession with driver Abdudllah Rafiq -since than he is missing - he is in heaven - or save heaven- He is most wanted terrorist. Terror theory given by Shaikh had failed. A terrorist can create terror or fear for a short time in the mind of innocent civilian but at large he cannot bring any change in the style of terror prey.
Now we see the latest move of US to hold talks with Taliban- Good Taliban and Bad Taliban- Freedom Fighters in Afghanistan or Terrorist in Pakistan- mere change of border change their chemistry. The theory of talks with good taliban or who intend to give up arm struggle is very complicated. The group of taliban who intend to join the Karzai government would be free to move and enjoy powers but the group who does not belong to afghan taliban shall remain armed as a permanent threat to the security of US and world. After long research and deliberation I find myself in a position to disseminate a suggestion:
Pakistan Army may be assigned task to control the Good and Bad taliban, flush out Al-qaeda and provide fool proof security to Afghan Borders and physical support to Karzai Government exclusively. It is very simple and so easy. The Us has to make minor changes in ****** policy by way of reducing the role of India in Afghanistan and impression of Indian hegemoic design and plan for domination of south asia by India should be remove in a true and workable manner. The Pak Army shall provide full support to US policy only if arch Rival India's role is fixed by consent of Pak Army. Otherwise, the ISI shall not compromise the existing Indian designs and act independantly. Similarly the Indian shall act independantly in retaliation of ISI moves. As per US findings the ISI is reponsible for re-emergence of Al-Qaeda- it may be true - but the strategic position of Pakistan Army is very distinguished from the position of Indian forces.
One can see mess in ****** policy if India and Pakistan act against each other independantly. But one can see peace if Indian role is contained by consent.
Now this for US to decide. If US going to divide the Taliban with a plan to fix the bad taliban or Pakistani Taliban or their supporters there shall be no peace and constant fear shall remain for a major desaster for this region as Pakistan Army is in a very good position to defend itself and promote their interest in the region. The Pak Army.The people of Pakistan love it like the US nation loves US marines. The think tanks in US and rand corporation providing theoritical assistance for ****** policy with funny theories that -Nato Forces from west and Indian Forces from East with the help of Israel shall finish the Pak Army - Dont live in a fool paradise. Pakistan army is seddled with nukes having 100 war heads. If one war head flies with missle power there shall be nobody to stop nuclear war in the region and that war shall have no boundaries one can imagine the desasters, destructions, clean up of cities and countries. This is for every body to know that any mis-adventure shall prove very hamful and destructive for whole world. South Asian region is having a population of 1800 millions. There are several small states of Arab world and countries around Himalalyan region what would happen to those countries.
The solution for south asian terror problem is
1. Remove trust deficit with Pakistan Army.
2.Contain Indian Role in Afghanistan.
3. Stop false flag attacks.
4.Form a body of regional head of states and head of armies under supervision US.
5.Given exclusive powers to Pakistan Army to dislodge and finish al-qaeda.

We hope there shall be a longer lasting peace and people of south asian region would prove themselves good friends of US. In this atmospher the US business plans with development of Afghanistan and other states shall flourish.
SMIQBAL-Karachi.
ssssmiqbal@gmail.com

thank you for your post

the 5 point solution given at the end of the post seems to be non applicable. i mean on one side they want Pak Army to finish alqaeda and gain the trust. on the other hand they are supporting india in afghanistan and trying to make india s role stronger.

how is it possible that we finish alqaeda when the US is not providing us the necessary equipment. on the contrary they are offering india all the modern equipment and nuclear deals. these mentioned points are contrary to each other

this is just a media propaganda and nothing else. they just want every thing to be right (not for pak or india) just for themselves. it is the game of mutual benefit, my friend.

when russia came in afghanistan, (since mutual benefit is with pak) this same US came to pak and supported us to create taliban to push russia back and today, since the mutual benefit is more with india, they want us to clean the mess (finish alqaeda on our own) and than they want india to play a role in afghanistan. it will be helpful to india, since it will be on 2 sides of pakistan and china and US will support india in terms of equipment so that india can do what US want without direct involvement of US.

definitely, i want peace in the region and development in the region but not at the cost of Pakistan s dignity.

regards

Back
Top Bottom