What's new

US Army to purchase over 200+ Enduring Shield air defense launchers by 2030 for cruise missile defense

So I don't get it, the Iron Dome will be a part of the air defense or not?

So that will be an air defense system to defend another air defense system, if I have got it right

So I don't get it, the Iron Dome will be a part of the air defense or not?

I believe the Army only bought a couple batteries of Iron Dome. That was only an interim solution. Enduring Shield is what will be mass produced.

So that will be an air defense system to defend another air defense system, if I have got it right

Enduring Shield will be for cruise missile defense. Patriot for ballistic missile and aircraft defense.

I believe the Army only bought a couple batteries of Iron Dome. That was only an interim solution. Enduring Shield is what will be mass produced.
AIM9X has less range and is far more expensive than the Tamir missiles, and obviously less battle proven.

One possible advantage of the AIM9X would be active guidance as opposed to the semi-active guidance of the Iron Dome, but that also makes it much more expensive.

But it does make sense to opt for a more expensive interceptor (as long as it's actually better) if there's enough laser systems that can cheaply take out cheaper "fodder" rockets.

I wonder what's the rationale behind that decision.

Back
Top Bottom