What's new

Unveiling Pakola: Pakistan's first and oldest cola brand

Still buy it in Tampa, one day took it to my work and majority of people liked it and said want to try it again.

From its inception to its rise as a cultural sensation, this video uncovers the intriguing story behind Pakistan's first and oldest cola brand 'Pakola'.

We explore how Pakola emerged as a symbol of national pride, the visionary minds behind its idea, and a nostalgic taste of childhood for millions of Pakistanis.
You can also find it in the international section of grocery stores in Canada, in Toronto.

The Pakola Cream soda is actually pretty good.

You haven't lived until you have tired Pakola Milkshake:

When I grew up in Karachi we used to eat street food all the time. It’s been decades since I left Pakistan and have lost any immunity to germs. Unfortunately, now when I visit Pakistan I cannot eat or drink stuff like that. I would get sick as a dog.

When I grew up in Karachi we used to eat street food all the time. It’s been decades since I left Pakistan and have lost any immunity to germs. Unfortunately, now when I visit Pakistan I cannot eat or drink stuff like that. I would get sick as a dog.
Street food is the best, you kind of pick up hints on where to eat. Some places you avoid even if you are a local due to hygiene and style of cooking.

There is a type of burger in Pindi called Pappu Burger. It’s cheap, greasy but has a unique taste to it.

Then there is an old man who sells champey (ribs) on Bank Road, he’s been there since the late 80’s and they are best ribs I have ever tasted.

In Hassan-Abdal (near Taxila) there is a street food vendor that sells freshly caught fish - it’s only seasoned with salt, but it’s cooked on a special grill - honestly it’s so good.

In Chitral you get a type of dumpling called a mumtoo, I could talk about street food for a long time as you can properly tell 😂

I suck at business things.

What is the difference here between Mehran Bottlers, Pakistan Beverages, Pakola, and who does this guy represent? Are they just owned by the same people but under different names?

It looks pretty big, at least bigger than I imagined. Also more humble beginnings than I imagined.

They probably own one company that owns the copyrights for Pakola. Then they have different companies that have a license to bottle and sell Pakola.

Similarly, most independently owned Coca Cola bottlers have a license from the main Coca Cola company. The company supplies the bottlers with premixed syrup and they bottle it. It’s like a franchise.

I used to buy cases of Pakola cans and drink it every day, but then stopped because of the calories. Last time I had it was a couple of weeks ago at a restaurant. It goes well with karahi gosht.
I do that with Shezan Mango juice

They probably own one company that owns the copyrights for Pakola. Then they have different companies that have a license to bottle and sell Pakola.

Similarly, most independently owned Coca Cola bottlers have a license from the main Coca Cola company. The company supplies the bottlers with premixed syrup and they bottle it. It’s like a franchise.

So Pakola franchises out to this guy?

Who owns Pakola then?

O man I haven't seen Rc cola in decades but I do remember finding one in Toronto early 2003 perhaps somewhere in a dollar store. I think one of these days I must find it somewhere.
I quit pop cola close to 2015 and went orange juice all the way. I suggest you guys do the same.
Anyway for rc cola I am ready to dabble and remember old pakistan 1999.

So Pakola franchises out to this guy?

Who owns Pakola then?

This guy being interviewed, Zeeshan Habib, owns Pakola. His grandfather started the company, getting the formula from a street vendor. They were seven brothers.

They started producing Pakola in 1950. In the 1960s they moved to SITE industrial area and formed a new company, Pakistan Beverage Limited, to produce Pakola.

In 1979 they got a franchise from Pepsi but Pepsi did not allow them to produce Pakola. So Pakistan Beverage Limited produced Pepsi and they started a new company, Mehran Bottlers, to bottle Pakola.

Therefore, the main company that owns and makes Pakola is Mehran Bottlers.

Today, they have factories in Karachi and Faisalabad that bottle Pakola. They also bottle brands from other companies, like Aquafina, Nestle etc.

He also mentioned other companies and factories. Only the one in Sukker is still running as a franchisee.

Gul Bottlers, Sukkur, Leghari family (Running)
Sindh Beverage, Hyderabad (Closed)
Factory, Islamabad, 1990s (Closed)
Factory, Lahore (Closed)

Last edited:
This guy being interviewed, Zeeshan Habib, owns Pakola. His grandfather started the company, getting the formula from a street vendor. They were seven brothers.

They started producing Pakola in 1950. In the 1960s they moved to SITE industrial area and formed a new company, Pakistan Beverage Limited, to produce Pakola.

In 1979 they got a franchise from Pepsi but Pepsi did not allow them to produce Pakola. So Pakistan Beverage Limited produced Pepsi and they started a new company, Mehran Bottlers, to bottle Pakola.

Therefore, the main company that owns and makes Pakola is Mehran Bottlers.

Today, they have factories in Karachi and Faisalabad that bottle Pakola. They also bottle brands from other companies, like Aquafina, Nestle etc.

He also mentioned other companies and factories. Only the one in Sukker is still running as a franchisee.

Gul Bottlers, Sukkur, Leghari family (Running)
Sindh Beverage, Hyderabad (Closed)
Factory, Islamabad, 1990s (Closed)
Factory, Lahore (Closed)

THank you, that's what I thought.

So it's basically the same bottlers for Pakola and Pepsi, with them also being the owner of Pakola itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom