What's new

United Nations: Nearly Half the Syrian Population Now Refugees

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
refugeecamp.jpg

Aerial View of the Za'atri Refugee Camp in Jordan.

The number of people who have fled Syria has passed a record 3 million since the conflict began three years ago, the United Nations reported Friday.

The U.N. Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said in a statement that almost half of all Syrians have been forced to abandon their homes and flee. One in every eight Syrians have fled to other countries, with an additional 6.5 million people displaced within Syria. More than half of those uprooted are children.

"Syrians are now the world's largest refugee population under UNHCR care, second only in number to the decades-long Palestinian crisis," UNHCR said in a statement. "The Syria operation is now the largest in UNHCR's 64-year history."

Screen-Shot-2014-08-29-at-2.43.46-PM.png

Demographics of refugees uprooted by the Syria conflict.

The organization described conditions inside the country as "horrifying." Civilians are starving and being indiscriminately killed. And leaving Syria isn't easy.

"There are worrying signs too that the journey out of Syria is becoming tougher, with many people forced to pay bribes at armed checkpoints proliferating along the borders," the statement said. "Refugees crossing the desert into eastern Jordan are being forced to pay smugglers hefty sums (US$100 a head or more) to take them to safety."

Syrian-Refugee-Numbers-02.jpg

Lujain Hourani, 11, a Syrian refugee who lost part of her shoulder in a government forces airstrike in a Syrian village near Homs, now lives in a refugee camp in Kirbet Daoud, Lebanon.

The majority of those who have fled Syria have ended up in Lebanon and Turkey, with a smaller portion of refugees settling in Jordan, Egypt and Iraq. The influx of refugees has put a major strain on these countries' economies, the statement said.

BwMi-DvIcAAxcV9.png

A map from the U.N. shows the destinations of the millions of Syrian refugees who have fled their country.

Relocated Syrians face additional hardships in and outside refugee camps once they reach their destinations. More than 80% of Syrian refugees are struggling to make a living in communities outside of camps, and more than a third are living in substandard shelters.

The UNHCR said there are reports of difficulty finding work, surging food prices and inadequate services. "A packet of bread in one village near the city of Idlib costs ten times more this year than last, according to a new arrival in Jordan," the statement said.

Syrian-Refugee-Numbers-01.jpg

Sedra, 7, center, stands in her tent in the Fayda Camp, some 25 miles east of Beirut, Lebanon, Monday March 10, 2014.

António Guterres, the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees said
the Syrian conflict is "the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era."the Syrian conflict is "the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era." Although there has been significant international support, the funds fall short of what is needed, he said.

United Nations: Nearly Half the Syrian Population Now Refugees
"The world is failing to meet the needs of refugees and the countries hosting them," he said.

Donors have contributed more than $4.1 billion to help Syrian refugees since 2012, but the U.N. says more than $2 billion in additional funds is needed by the end of this year as more than 2.4 million refugees will need additional support in the coming weeks to prepare for winter.

Unbelievable.

I wonder if the people who brought us here now regret their decision to support this brutal regime.

Thank u USA and west for supplying weapons to the opposition.
Special thanks to ISIS too

On serious note,,,what a pity really

Unbelievable.

I wonder if the people who brought us here now regret their decision to support this brutal regime.

Which regime do u mean?

Thank u USA and west for supplying weapons to the opposition.
Special thanks to ISIS too

On serious note,,,what a pity really

What in the world are you talking about? What weapons did USA supply? Opposition is 95% self sufficient and weapons come from Syria.

Before the opposition was created thousands of Syrians were killed by state run militias.

What in the world are you talking about? What weapons did USA supply? Opposition is 95% self sufficient and weapons come from Syria.

Before the opposition was created thousands of Syrians were killed by state run militias.

All the weapons were supplied by west,its a known fact.
And i concur syria was doing okay just like iraq before 2002.......

The problem is clearly a shia -sunni conflict with west having some stake due to

1)Syria has a russian port,,,west wants to install a puppet govt to get oil easily to reduce dependence on russia
2)Saudis and qatar who are funding the rebels purely on the basis of shia hate.

In the long run assad is a million times better than the alternative which is ISIS controlled syria.

What do u prefer btw??:coffee:

All the weapons were supplied by west,its a known fact.
And i concur syria was doing okay just like iraq before 2002.......

The problem is clearly a shia -sunni conflict with west having some stake due to

1)Syria has a russian port,,,west wants to install a puppet govt to get oil easily to reduce dependence on russia
2)Saudis and qatar who are funding the rebels purely on the basis of shia hate.

In the long run assad is a million times better than the alternative which is ISIS controlled syria.

Oil from where? Syria? Are you trolling?

Syria has no use to the international community otherwise they would have interfered. US support was non-lethal and already was ended. It went to one faction within the FSA opposition.

ISIS controls a portion of Syria, not all of it. Assad is preferred by the West only due to Israel's security interests. Which is why they've been feeding intelligence to Assad on opposition movements.

Oil from where? Syria? Are you trolling?

Syria has no use to the international community otherwise they would have interfered. US support was non-lethal and already was ended. It went to one faction within the FSA opposition.

ISIS controls a portion of Syria, not all of it. Assad is preferred by the West only due to Israel's security interests. Which is why they've been feeding intelligence to Assad on opposition movements.

Man what are u saying??
U are wrong all the way in this post.

Asad is russian puppet,,,not western:crazy:

Plus west is supplying weapons to syrian rebels...............search on google

Advanced U.S. Weapons Flow to Syrian Rebels - WSJ
Rice Hints U.S. Providing Weapons to Syrian Rebels - Middle East - News - Arutz Sheva
U.S. arms could create Syria 'warlords', rebel commander says| Reuters

I mean why are u spreading propaganda here??
Either u urself are unaware of facts or u are just spreading mis information:coffee:

Man what are u saying??
U are wrong all the way in this post.

Asad is russian puppet,,,not western:crazy:

Plus west is supplying weapons to syrian rebels...............search on google

Advanced U.S. Weapons Flow to Syrian Rebels - WSJ
Rice Hints U.S. Providing Weapons to Syrian Rebels - Middle East - News - Arutz Sheva
U.S. arms could create Syria 'warlords', rebel commander says| Reuters

I mean why are u spreading propaganda here??
Either u urself are unaware of facts or u are just spreading mis information:coffee:

This is funny coming from a propagandist. US provided no weapons at all besides several anti-tank missiles to opposition.

Opposition in Syria gets anti-tank missiles from captured weapons depots in Syria. Their weapons are either homemade, from the black market or from captured weapons depots.

The West prefers Assad on the basis of Israel's security/unknown future of Syria if he's gone. Initially, they wanted to see him hurt for allowing a supply line to Hezbollah. Post-Assad Syria will in no way be pro-Western.

The West is concerned with Russia in the EU. I am anti-Western from a political perspective.

This is funny coming from a propagandist. US provided no weapons at all besides several anti-tank missiles to opposition.

Opposition in Syria gets anti-tank missiles from captured weapons depots in Syria. Their weapons are either homemade, from the black market or from captured weapons depots.

The West prefers Assad on the basis of Israel's security/unknown future of Syria if he's gone. Initially, they wanted to see him hurt for allowing a supply line to Hezbollah. Post-Assad Syria will in no way be pro-Western.

The West is concerned with Russia in the EU. I am anti-Western from a political perspective.

Then it means u are simply not informed,,,sorry for u my friend.
And i have no stake in syria being an indian so i have no intention to spread propaganda like u.

I gave 3 sources for my claims

Then it means u are simply not informed,,,sorry for u my friend.
And i have no stake in syria being an indian so i have no intention to spread propaganda like u.

I gave 3 sources for my claims

Sure you don't, you get paid to do this. Or Iranians have brainwashed you. I will give you sources supporting my claims. The brutal Assad regime is known well by Arabs. I don't need an outsider to educate me on their tactics. I'm not suggesting that the West holds a deep grudge against the opposition. Although they are in no way as suggested by your likes favorable of it.

You're telling my I'm not informed yet suggesting US/Western powers want Syria for oil. They produce little oil. What they care about is the oil of neighboring nations. Which ISIS threatens.

Anyways, support for my claims:
BBC News - Syria says West talks to Damascus about Islamist rebels
Ex-IDF chief: Israel prefers that Assad stay in power | The Times of Israel

If these people have something called brain in their heads , Then they will take arms and defend their country against ISIL otherwise they'll have to live in desert for generations .

If these people have something called brain in their heads , Then they will take arms and defend their country against ISIL otherwise they'll have to live in desert for generations .

If you people have brains you'd stop getting every Arab nation into civil strife by supporting brutal regimes. Then ending support to Hamas since 2011 due to their refusal to back him. But, on the IMF you guys create threads taking credit for Hamas's military performance in Gaza even though they got no support in any form. Then cursing anyone who defends them on IMF at the same time. The truth is you guys are very sectarian and have no problem with all these people dying as long as they're Arabs.

If you people have brains you'd stop getting every Arab nation into civil strife by supporting brutal regimes. Then ending support to Hamas since 2011 due to their refusal to back him. But, on the IMF you guys create threads taking credit for Hamas's military performance in Gaza even though they got no support in any form. Then cursing anyone who defends them on IMF at the same time. The truth is you guys are very sectarian and have no problem with all these people dying as long as they're Arabs.

Good night , I'm done with you .

Back
Top Bottom