What's new

United Arab Emirates: Sending home the foreigners

Elmo

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
United Arab Emirates

Sending home the foreigners

Jul 8th 2013, 17:34 by Economist.com | ABU DHABI

AMID growing regional unrest, authorities in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, have in recent years sought to allocate public sector jobs to Emirati nationals. This drive towards “Emiratisation”—a policy initially launched three decades ago—accelerated markedly on July 4th when the General Secretariat of the Executive Council (GSEC), Abu Dhabi's top policy-making body which reports to the Executive Council chaired by Sheikh Muhammad bin Zayed, the crown prince, fired almost all its foreign staff. Around 60-70 employees are believed to have been affected, most of whom were considered to be the very best of the emirate's strategists. GSEC may be confident that it can fill the imminent skills vacuum with existing Emirati staff but the development raises uncomfortable questions over the future of other non-national government workers.

The move suggests that Emiratisation has gained a more forceful impetus, and that GSEC is likely setting the pace for further expatriate dismissals. The now-redundant workers have been granted six-month visa extensions to give them the chance to find alternative work—residency in the UAE is tied to employment and visas are normally revoked after 30 days of joblessness. But that is unlikely to reassure those who have lost their jobs, or other foreigners who fear they could be next. Given GSEC’s seniority within the government, its decision is widely thought to be the beginning of a more extensive cull. Although the public sector is already staffed predominantly by Emiratis (almost 92% of Emiratis work for the state or bodies close to it), a few thousand foreigners still occupy mid- to senior-level positions in government of semi-government entities.

Abu Dhabi is not the only place in the region to be implementing localisation measures in the labour market. Kuwait announced earlier this year that it would reduce by one million the number of foreign workers in the country over the next ten years. More drastically, it also began deporting expats for traffic violations, although it denied that that was part of the policy to reduce foreigner numbers. Saudi Arabia has long pursued "Saudi-isation", under which firms are compelled to replace foreigners with Saudi workers. In its current form, known as nitaqat, companies are classified according to a traffic-light system with green, yellow and red categories denoting the extent to which companies have complied with employment quotas. The three other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) members—Bahrain, Oman and Qatar—similarly have their own variations on the theme. Given mounting social and economic pressures across the GCC, a further cull of foreigners to make way for locals looks likely.

I like this comment by Kamal95

The region has despotic regimes. The regimes fear massive political unrest that will topple them. They are desperate to do whatever to hold on to power.

United Arab Emirates

Sending home the foreigners

Jul 8th 2013, 17:34 by Economist.com | ABU DHABI

................ Given mounting social and economic pressures across the GCC, a further cull of foreigners to make way for locals looks likely.

This will be great for Pakistan, given that large numbers the highly trained expat manpower in the GCC region could return home and put their skills to use there.

Argus Panoptes;4509443

Argus Panoptes i have a question and i am bit confused about your position.

yesterday you questioned the lady who missed her home (pakistan)and said would she say the same if her purse and phone were taken at gun point.
Today you go on to say ''This will be great for Pakistan, given that large numbers the highly trained expat manpower in the GCC region could return home and put their skills to use there''. what if these people left pakistan cause law and order situation?
why would they come back they can simply move on to another country that appreciates their talent.

@Argus Panoptes

All expat workers from GCC should be shipped back so that they can march on the 'constitution avenue' to demand jobs.

Why just the GCC? Let's get as many expats from the world over to get back home and serve the homeland.

Argus Panoptes;4509443

Argus Panoptes i have a question and i am bit confused about your position.

yesterday you questioned the lady who missed her home (pakistan)and said would she say the same if her purse and phone were taken at gun point.
Today you go on to say ''This will be great for Pakistan, given that large numbers the highly trained expat manpower in the GCC region could return home and put their skills to use there''. what if these people left pakistan cause law and order situation?
why would they come back they can simply move on to another country that appreciates their talent.

Because Sir, it is simply not that easy to go to other countries for us Pakistanis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan's prospects are booming. they will have a blast.

On a serious note. Its good for the UAE in the long run. Their own people will get the good jobs.

where there is riot and fight all this wont work at that time

@Argus Panoptes

All expat workers from GCC should be shipped back so that they can march on the 'constitution avenue' to demand jobs.

One thing we don't know, one thing for sure is that we don't know what are the nationalities the UAE is going to take out of their list. The other thing is that the Gov't of the UAE can't deport people spontaneously, people could sue.

Remember that we heard the same about KSA, later the news turned out to be a %100 lie.

One thing we don't know, one thing for sure is that we don't know what are the nationalities the UAE is going to take out of their list. The other thing is that the Gov't of the UAE can't deport people spontaneously, people could sue.

Remember that we heard the same about KSA, later the news turned out to be a %100 lie.

You are correct that we should wait and see what the UAE government will actually do with its foreign workers. However, my comment was limited to the Pakistani expats who could transfer their expertise to benefit their homeland as a result of any such steps actually implemented there.

This will be great for Pakistan, given that large numbers the highly trained expat manpower in the GCC region could return home and put their skills to use there.

That would take a very patriotic mindset indeed.

Hi there

Happy Ramadan to you Sir.

Well, up until now we don't know what's going to happen in there, I'm just saying that we have had the same situation before and then such news turned out to be utterly false. Obviously, some people try to play off the Pakistanis against the GCC or vice versa. We need to wait for a few days and see.

Your comments are fine bro.
You are correct that we should wait and see what the UAE government will actually do with its foreign workers. However, my comment was limited to the Pakistani expats who could transfer their expertise to benefit their homeland as a result of any such steps actually implemented there.

Why just the GCC? Let's get as many expats from the world over to get back home and serve the homeland.

Like I said, some people aren't happy about the GCC-Pakistan relations - I'm not referring to @Aeronaut -

Are you suggesting other people to come back or you saying that you will be first in line to hurry back?

Neither.

People won't come back unless they are forced to leave, so it is up to the host government to decide, not them or me. And I am not in the GCC, so what happens there does not really affect me at all.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom