What's new

Unification of Turkey and Azerbaijan

Fenasi Kerim

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Is the unification of Turkey and Azerbaijan possible? Or is it a dream?

Yes we speak the same language and have the same traditions, however we must consider.

1) Azeri Turks and Turks from Turkey have a different religion.
2) Azerbaijan is still very much under the Russian sphere of influence (or am I wrong)
3) Any unification we would be in direct conflict with Russia via the Armenia dispute.
4) Azerbaijan is governed by a dictator who would not let go of power.
5) We share not common border to mainland Azerbaijan, only a strip.

Is there any point of talking about this? Could you see this happening? Are there any steps being taken? Or is it impossible?

Final note, such a unification would work very well, imagine the natural reserve wealth of Baku combined with the economy and military power of Ankara.

I think the people of Azerbaijan would be looking to reap the benefits of their resources in the form of development and economic improvements. But, they will need to share it with Turkey in order to get a guarantee of security and stability. You guys will need to ensure absolute transparency in how Azeri resources are utilized, so discontent doesn't spread, and people don't think they are being exploited.

One of the recent examples of successful unification is East/West Germany. Lessons should be learnt from that exercise.

Yes we speak the same language and have the same traditions, however we must consider.

2) Azerbaijan is still very much under the Russian sphere of influence (or am I wrong)
3) Any unification we would be in direct conflict with Russia via the Armenia dispute.

Is there any point of talking about this? Could you see this happening? Are there any steps being taken? Or is it impossible?

Final note, such a unification would work very well, imagine the natural reserve wealth of Baku combined with the economy and military power of Ankara.
Brother its better to focus on what you have ... You are already progressing and will progress further, IA ... Don't fall into trap which hinders your progress ..

Going different ways is easy then unification. So forget any unification of Turkey and Azerbaijan.

I don't really think a unification between the countries is possible at the moment or really needed for us to have a stronger bond between the countries... I have never heard of someone even showing a political will to achieve something like that anyway or pointing out that Azeris are majotiry Shia as a problem or something. One of the few things all Turks (no matter what their political or religious views are) agree on is that Azeris are our blood brothers and sisters. I don't really care if they are buddhist, shia, christian or whatever... they are still Turks, from the same Oghuz roots like us and the Turkmens.

I would be really happy to see a bigger Turkish state but Azerbaycan is doing pretty fine by itself too. Both countries are in really good relations between each other, trade and investments between the countries are increasing, new links between the countries are being built every year, the cooperation on many levels is deepening. We can be like Germany and Austria- two German countries which have been centers of big Empires in the past with great economical, political, military and strategic ties between each other which are always supporting and helping one another.

ps @cabatli_53 , do something against the idiot above who insults our brothers by calling them Azermaymuns.

In my opinion, this can only happen if Nord - and South Azerbeidzjan unify first. If a Kurdish nation comes in existence, it will be impossible to achieve unification with Turkey and bigger Azerbeidzjan. The only scenario where I see a unification happening between Turkey and Azerbeidzjan is, if there is a civil war in Iran. And Turkey enters Iran to defend South-Azerbeidzjan, and Turkey incorporates this territory as his own. If that happens, Turkey can influence North-Azerbeidzjan enough to join the union; Perhaps a federal model would be best in that case. Where Turkey, Kibris and Azerbeidzjan are all part of the federal state. But do I see this happening? No, and I have no eyes on the territory of other nations, such as Iran.

1; In a secular nation, religion is of no importance.
2; True, russian and Iranian influence
4; I believe the previous ruler was pan turkish. I may be wrong on that one. But I have once read, that that was the reason the Russians and Iranians got rid of him.
5; A border exists between Turkey and South-Azerbeidzjan.

I do think that both countries would reap enormous benefits if a unicifcation happened. Turkey can use the massive gas reserves of Azerbeidzjan. And Azarbeidzjan would be able to put more pressure on Armenia.

@fenasikerim

Not possible. We have not the power and muscles to do that. Russia keeps them all under total control. They outsourced many Soviet areas but can keep them with social and military influence under their control and they will do that until Armageddon.

What different religion are you talking about?

And we are not?

Please don't troll, I would love to see this happen hence the question.

1) Majority of Turks of Turkey are Sunni and Azeri Turks are Shia not that it matters to me but to the heads of state and common people it may do. Yes I know this should not matter as both states are secular on paper.

2) We are not, last time I knew Turkey holds fair elections.

Mergers and Acquisitions are bound to be failure if there are differences in organisational culture. It is the same in macro-level too.

Mergers and Acquisitions are bound to be failure if there are differences in organisational culture. It is the same in macro-level too.

Not necessarily. Management can decide to fire the staff and keep only the IP if that is valuable enough. Or, the entire aim of acquisition could be to kill of the competition. Success and failure all depend on definition.

Not necessarily. Management can decide to fire the staff and keep only the IP if that is valuable enough. Or, the entire aim of acquisition could be to kill of the competition. Success and failure all depend on definition.
Hostile takeovers means massacre of Azeris. Offtopic: Firing is not easy and depends on country to country laws.

Back
Top Bottom