What's new

Unfolding Tragedy of India's Disappearing Daughters

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Here's how the Economist puts the issue of "gendercide" in its recent issue: "For millions of couples, the answer is: abort the daughter, try for a son. In China and northern India more than 120 boys are being born for every 100 girls. Nature dictates that slightly more males are born than females to offset boys’ greater susceptibility to infant disease. But nothing on this scale".

Among the consequences of more boys than girls in society, the Economist story on female genocide points out rising social instability in parts of the developing world. It explains, "Throughout human history, young men have been responsible for the vast preponderance of crime and violence—especially single men in countries where status and social acceptance depend on being married and having children, as it does in China and India. A rising population of frustrated single men spells trouble."

The list of countries and territories where the total fertility rate has dropped below sub-replacement level is long, and it extends beyond Europe and Asia into the conservative Islamic nations of North Africa and the Middle East. Of the 195 countries and territories listed on the UN TFR ranking, 85 have fertility rates of less than 2.2, considered an acceptable replacement level. Indonesia, the largest Muslim nation by population, has sub-replacement fertility level of 2.18, and it is declining. Turkey is at 2.14; Tunisia is at 1.93; Iran is at 2.04, slightly lower than the US's 2.05.

With increasing urbanization, Pakistan's population growth rate has declined from 2.17% in 2000 to 1.9% in 2008. Based on PAI Research Commentary by Karen Hardee and Elizabeth Leahy, the total fertility rate (TFR) in Pakistan is still the highest in South Asia at 4.0 children per woman. Women in urban areas have an average of 3.3 children compared to their rural counterparts, who have an average of 4.5 children. The overall fertility rate has been cut in half from about 8 children per woman in 1960s to about 4 in the last decade, according to a study published in 2009.

In a book titled "The Empty Cradle", the author Phillip Longman warns that the declining birth rates around the world will cause many social and economic problems. As a consequence of declining fertility, by 2050 the population of Europe will have fallen to what it was in 1950. Longman says this is happening all around the world: Women are having fewer children. It's happening in Brazil, it's happening in China, India and Japan. It's even happening in the Middle East. Wherever there is rapid urbanization, education for women and visions of urban affluence, birthrates are falling, disproportionately cutting female births in some of the most populous nations such as India and China. Having and raising children is seen as an expense and a burden.

"So we have a "free rider" problem. You don't need to have children to provide for your old age -- but the pension systems need them." Says Longman, referring to the coming Social Security crunch as the number of retired people rises faster than the number of workers.

Haq's Musings: Girl Feticide in Chinindia Cuts Population

Haq's Musings: Female Genocide Unfolding in India

Some age old customs and in a minority.
I prayed I get a daughter the first time we were expecting and Allah answered our prayers. There a many like me. Lakshmi they call daughters. Those who kill the girl child is in a minority. Recently there was a marriage of a girl in a remote village after 120 years. it was a village that killed girl child as soon as they were born. This couple went away from that tradition and raised their child and finally when the girl reached the legal age to marry, they married her with pomp. Just to show that things are changing. Age old practices are fast moving out.

I prayed I get a daughter the first time we were expecting and Allah answered our prayers. There a many like me. Lakshmi they call daughters. Those who kill the girl child is in a minority. Recently there was a marriage of a girl in a remote village after 120 years. it was a village that killed girl child as soon as they were born. This couple went away from that tradition and raised their child and finally when the girl reached the legal age to marry, they married her with pomp. Just to show that things are changing. Age old practices are fast moving out.

Modern India is witnessing a rapid unfolding of a female genocide in the making across all castes and classes, including the upper caste rich and the educated. The situation is particularly alarming among upper-caste Hindus in some of the urban areas of Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, specially in parts of Punjab, where there are only 300 girls for every 1,000 boys, according to Laura Turquet, ActionAid's women's rights policy official.

Yusuf, irrespective of what the positives are this is a forum where anything that can defame India, Indians is written and extrapolated with an ambition to show their is no tomorrow. All hell will break loose and India is the worst thing ever seems to be the hidden thread in each of them. I have read many of the posts by this blogger and have found few sensible and few others that derive wrong conclusions from limited numbers. I think the Indians should be happy to have a critique who spends enormous time fishing through all the evils in India and then come up with such articles. However, the critique forgets that from time to time, it is important to highlight one's own short comings with the same vigour.

About the article, we both know India better than he does and we know we have a problem in some parts of India. This again as you mentioned is fast changing and people know the consequences of a gender polarised society.

IMAGINE you are one half of a young couple expecting your first child in a fast-growing, poor country. You are part of the new middle class; your income is rising; you want a small family. But traditional mores hold sway around you, most important in the preference for sons over daughters. Perhaps hard physical labour is still needed for the family to make its living. Perhaps only sons may inherit land. Perhaps a daughter is deemed to join another family on marriage and you want someone to care for you when you are old. Perhaps she needs a dowry.

Now imagine that you have had an ultrasound scan; it costs $12, but you can afford that. The scan says the unborn child is a girl. You yourself would prefer a boy; the rest of your family clamours for one. You would never dream of killing a baby daughter, as they do out in the villages. But an abortion seems different. What do you do?

For millions of couples, the answer is: abort the daughter, try for a son. In China and northern India more than 120 boys are being born for every 100 girls. Nature dictates that slightly more males are born than females to offset boys’ greater susceptibility to infant disease. But nothing on this scale.

The war on baby girls: Gendercide | The Economist

^^^^^^^

Why do you focus on India when the article treats China as an important problem here. Cherry picking ?

China alone stands to have as many unmarried young men—“bare branches”, as they are known—as the entire population of young men in America. In any country rootless young males spell trouble; in Asian societies, where marriage and children are the recognised routes into society, single men are almost like outlaws. Crime rates, bride trafficking, sexual violence, even female suicide rates are all rising and will rise further as the lopsided generations reach their maturity.

In China the imbalance between the sexes was 108 boys to 100 girls for the generation born in the late 1980s; for the generation of the early 2000s, it was 124 to 100. In some Chinese provinces the ratio is an unprecedented 130 to 100. The destruction is worst in China but has spread far beyond. Other East Asian countries, including Taiwan and Singapore, former communist states in the western Balkans and the Caucasus, and even sections of America’s population (Chinese- and Japanese-Americans, for example): all these have distorted sex ratios. Gendercide exists on almost every continent. It affects rich and poor; educated and illiterate; Hindu, Muslim, Confucian and Christian alike.

Why single out India in your title and your article ?

I know the answer. save it.

Modern India is witnessing a rapid unfolding of a female genocide in the making across all castes and classes, including the upper caste rich and the educated. The situation is particularly alarming among upper-caste Hindus in some of the urban areas of Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, specially in parts of Punjab, where there are only 300 girls for every 1,000 boys, according to Laura Turquet, ActionAid's women's rights policy official.

As I have already believed, Haq Musing articles is a complete waste of time. And I was proved once again!!

Here is some links which counters some 300 girls on 1000 boys masala. The lowest ratio is in Haryana which is 850+. Only arguement can be given is, that the data is taken in 2001 (will again be done in 2011) but this also can not support 300 figure.

Census of India - India at a Glance : Sex Ratio

http://www.mapsofindia.com/census2001/sexratio/sexratio-india.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India

Last edited:
Here is an article in today's Dawn by columnist Irfan Hussain, a harsh critic of Pakistan:

Every now and then, I get an email from one irate Indian reader or another, demanding to know why Jawed Naqvi, Dawn’s erudite and irreverent New Delhi correspondent, is so critical of India. Invariably, I reply that they should ask Jawed about his views. I also point out that just as I am often critical about Pakistan, he has every right to point out his country’s shortcomings.

I suspect what upsets these readers is that an Indian should be voicing critical comments about his country in a foreign newspaper. I was subjected to similar censure from expatriate Pakistanis when I wrote for a Gulf daily. Finally, the editor told me politely that my criticism of Musharraf was incompatible with his paper’s policy, and that was the end of the (small) trickle of Dubai dirhams.

The reality is that we are all touchy about seeing our dirty linen washed in public, but somehow, Indians seem super-sensitive to any hint of criticism. While there are many dissenting voices that question Indian claims to having reached Nirvana, they do not find much space in the mainstream media. Although Indian journalists do excellent work in digging up scams and scandals, they do not often question the broad consensus underpinning the ‘India shining’ image the media, politicians and big business work so hard at projecting.

I spent the other evening at the Karachi Boat Club in the company of a European who has spent a long time in the region, and knows South Asia well, having lived in Pakistan and India for several years. When I asked him how it felt to be back in Pakistan after being away for a few years in New Delhi, his answer came as a surprise. As we have known each other for fifteen years, he had no need to be polite: “It feels great to be back,” he replied. “You have no idea how difficult day-to-day life is in New Delhi. Apart from the awful traffic, the pollution, and the expense, you have to put up with the prickliness of most Indians you meet. They are touchy to the point of paranoia. There is a lot of very aggressive poverty in the air. And when the New Delhi airport opens, we’ll have to brace ourselves for yet another self-congratulatory blast. What is truly shocking is how little the well-off Indians care about the poor.”

“Here in Pakistan, people are so much more laid back. Karachi’s traffic flows much faster, and I don’t sense the same kind of anger. While I’m sure there must be slums, I do not see the same level of abject poverty that is ever-present in India. And of course, the food is much better here.”

I suspect this last observation will provoke more ire among my Indian readers than anything else my friend said. The truth is that meat dishes cooked in Pakistan are better than in India, although vegetables there are far tastier than ours. However, this article is not about scoring points, but about the different ways in which we react to criticism. It is also about the myth and the reality underlying the Indian success story.

And before my inbox is flooded with angry emails from across the border and the Indian diaspora, let me say that I am delighted at the huge strides our neighbour has made over the last decade or so. From cricket to technology, the progress has been little short of spectacular. I was thrilled to learn of the discovery of water on the moon by an Indian space mission.

So clearly, Indians have much to be proud of. Nevertheless, there is a dark side to this progress, and one that is ignored by those who react angrily to any criticism. In a recent article reflecting on his recently concluded six-year stint as the Guardian correspondent in India, Randeep Ramesh writes: “Whether I was visiting a rural police station where half-naked men were hung from the ceiling during an interrogation, or talking to the parents of a baby bulldozed to death during a slum clearance, the romance of India’s idealism was undone by its awful daily reality. The venality, mediocrity and indiscipline of its ruling class would be comical but for the fact that politicians appeared incapable of doing anything for the 836 million people who live on 25 pence [33 Pakistani rupees] a day.

“… India is perhaps the most unequal country on the planet, with a tiny elite engorged on the best education, biggest landholdings, and largest incomes. Those born on the bottom rungs of the social hierarchy suffer a legacy of caste bigotry, rural servitude and class discrimination…”

Many of these painful observations apply to Pakistan as well, but by and large, we accept these flaws, and do not react angrily when a foreigner points them out.

The current issue of The Economist carries a searing cover story about the shameful phenomenon of millions of aborted female foetuses, mainly in China and India. This has caused the male-female ratio to be skewed to an alarming extent. The number of male babies in India is now around 108 for 100 girls, raising the possibility of serious social consequences.

Indian civil society is acutely aware of these grave social issues, and many of its members have long been demanding change. However, their voices are often drowned out by the chorus of those shouting ‘India shining’. Many activists have distinguished themselves by their heroic advocacy of the downtrodden, but it is the success stories of dotcom entrepreneurs that are in the spotlight.

India’s soft power is a potent instrument of projecting the country’s image abroad. Its brilliant software engineers, its talented scientists, its outstanding cricketers, and its artists are all wonderful ambassadors for India. Bollywood and India’s appeal to millions of tourists have put the country firmly on the map as a highly desirable destination.

All in all, as I said earlier, Indians have much to be proud of. But by focusing only on their country’s achievements, the danger is that they will lose sight of the huge problems that still exist. Friends who point out these failings do not do so out of a sense of malice, but out of concern. However, as I brace myself for a volley of abuse, I fear that it’s often easier to shoot the messenger than to undertake the hard work needed to address the problems.

DAWN.COM | Columnists | Don?t shoot the messenger

post # 9 is nowhere related to the original articles. Since I am not in mood of troll thread by immature posters. I give up.
You may continue with your India bashing (oops sorry...India criticism). Thanks.

Here's a video clip about the destruction and dumping of female fetuses in India:

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be one of those rare occasions wherein I would have to agree with Mr. Haq.

Female foeticide is a serious social problem in India. The demand for a male child so overwhelms first time parents that once they find out the mother is carrying a girl child, they opt for medical termination of pregnancy under false medical pretexts. Although its illegal in India, many medical practitioners misuse their privileges and disclose ultrasound results confirming the sex of a foetus to the parents.

Posting numbers ratio and countering the op with sources saying that it was 2001 census makes no sense. Just like dowry, female foeticide is indeed one major social problem India faces, especially in the northern areas. We have to tackle this menace to our society and educate people that the gender makes no difference. All that matters is that the baby should be healthy. A healthy new generation, a healthy nation.

Respect and love a girl child as you would your male child. I wished for my first born to be a girl (I come from a family of all brothers and male cousins)!

300 to a 1000? I will just prefer not to comment on such absurd figures.

Cost of ultrasound and all doesnt come into the picture. If the guy is poor, he will not got for it. If he can, law prohibits the doctor from revealing the sex of the child. Yes laws are broken, but not to an extent where the ratio goes to 300 per 1000. That is just simply absurd.

China lacks 30 million brides:tdown:

Link url:

China's men lack millions of brides

Delhi Government's "Ladli scheme" where every girl child from poor family receives Rs. 100,000/-

India set an example in the world to follow, reserves 33% for women seats in parliament, assemblies, municipalities.

India reserves 50% seats for women in Village Councils.

300 to a 1000? I will just prefer not to comment on such absurd figures.

Cost of ultrasound and all doesnt come into the picture. If the guy is poor, he will not got for it. If he can, law prohibits the doctor from revealing the sex of the child. Yes laws are broken, but not to an extent where the ratio goes to 300 per 1000. That is just simply absurd.

Shocking new findings from ActionAid reveal a growing crisis in India where the number of girls born and surviving compared to boys has hit an all time low.

ActionAid collaborated with Canada's International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the report, Disappearing Daughters, will be presented at a UK parliamentary reception of the all-party group on population, development and reproductive health on Monday 23 June.

Findings from sites across five states in north and northwest India reveal that the sex ratio of girls to boys has not only worsened but is accelerating compared to the last national census in 2001.

Latest figures from one site in the Punjab, India’s richest state, show the number of girls has plummeted to just 300 compared to 1000 boys amongst higher cast families.

And everywhere else, with the exception of Rajasthan, already low figures are continuing to slide. Even in Rajasthan, the proportion of girls is well below what should be the norm of around 950 girls born for every 1000 boys.

ActionAid UK: Disappearing daughters: India sex selection crisis worsening

Back
Top Bottom