What's new

Unesco: Bangladesh literacy rate reaches all-time high of 72.76% in 2016

EastBengalPro

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Over 90% of men and women in Bangladesh aged from 15 to 24 years are now considered literate
  • 0SHARES
According to data from the Unesco Institute for Statistics (UIS), the literacy rate in Bangladesh has shot up remarkably over the last 10 years, reaching an all-time high of 72.76% in 2016.

The figure marks a 26.1% increase from 2007, when the literacy rate was a mere 46.66%. The literacy rate for females in the year was 43.74%, while that for males was 49.83%.

Conversely, the literacy rate for males in 2016 was 75.62%, while that for females was 69.90%.

The data also revealed that the number of educated young males and females rose dramatically over the past 10 years.

The literacy rate for men and women aged between 15 to 24 years increased to 92.24 percent in 2016, from 61.87 percent in 2007. Furthermore, 93.54% of females in the age group were considered literate in 2016, as were 90.91% of males.

This phenomenal rise in literacy rate is one of the major factors that the Committee for Development Policy (CDP) of the United Nations considered when declaring Bangladesh’s eligibility for graduating from Least Developed Country (LDC) status.

The UIS data said Bangladesh is now ahead of India (69.30%), Nepal (59.63%), Bhutan (57.03%) and Pakistan (56.98%) in the global literacy rate index.

Unseco_Literacy-rate-1024x680.jpg

Unesco attributed the success to the Bangladesh government’s policies and fiscal support for the education sector.

According to UIS, the government doubled expenditure in the education sector to over $4.3 billion in 2016, as compared to just under $2 billion in 2008. The fiscal allocation for the education sector in the budget for the 2017-18 financial year was over $7.8 billion (Tk65,444 crore).

According to the Education Ministry, the government has been implementing numerous projects since 2009, with the aim of building up skilled and competent human resources. The projects mainly revolve around creating opportunities for enrolment at all levels of education.

The government has also prepared the National Education Policy 2010 to ensure the right to education for all.

In addition, policy has emphasized on ensuring basic resources for education, digitisation of classrooms and textbooks, curriculum reforms, introduction of creative question papers, infrastructure development and the modernisation of madrasa education.

The “Sheikh Russel Digital Lab and Multimedia Classroom” has already been established at over 37,000 educational institutions across Bangladesh.

Furthermore, more than 26,000 primary schools have so far been nationalized, in a bid to set up a public primary school in every village of the country.

At the secondary level, Upazila ICT Training and Resource Centres have been established and 295 non-government schools have been transformed into model schools in 315 upazilas.

Construction of new buildings for 5,500 non-government educational institutions, including schools and colleges, is also ongoing.

On average, the government distributes 354.6 million textbooks to students in Bangladesh every year. About 3.8 million students from the 6th grade to undergraduate level are provided with stipends and other forms of assistance at a cost of Tk675 crore.

http://www.dhakatribune.com/banglad...h-literacy-rate-reaches-time-high-72-76-2016/

The UIS data said Bangladesh is now ahead of India (69.30%), Nepal (59.63%), Bhutan (57.03%) and Pakistan (56.98%) in the global literacy rate index.
Expect vehement opposition to this statistics by some ego boosted peoples from the country which is Supa Pawa since 2012.
The literacy rate for men and women aged between 15 to 24 years increased to 92.24 percent in 2016, from 61.87 percent in 2007. Furthermore, 93.54% of females in the age group were considered literate in 2016, as were 90.91% of males.
Most encouraging sign.We need to make sure to increase this rate to 100% for both men and women.

Last edited:
Expect vehement opposition to this statistics by some ego boosted peoples from the Supa Pawa. They will cry BBS and will claim that UN/UNESCO are the slave of BBS.
India's data is from 2011 & Bangladesh's data is from 2016... :no:
Bangladesh 2011 literacy from same source - 47.08

Last edited:
More percentage of girls than boys are literate. Meaning girls are not only NOT lagging behind, but ahead of boys. Hope we can reach 100% for both soon.

It was only a matter of time. Because of the war, our older generation born in those time didn't get much education. Now we are getting ahead and will probably reach 100% way before them too. Considering our density, that shouldn't be too hard.

According to UIS, the government doubled expenditure in the education sector to over $4.3 billion in 2016, as compared to just under $2 billion in 2008. The fiscal allocation for the education sector in the budget for the 2017-18 financial year was over $7.8 billion (Tk65,444 crore).
Underwhelming. Most people get education in private schools. Govt should really spend a lot more, in public universities and to try and make up to level 12 education accessible to everyone, no matter their income. Maybe make education free for parents earning less than certain amount, ideally for everyone when our economy is capable of supporting it.

The “Sheikh Russel Digital Lab and Multimedia Classroom” has already been established at over 37,000 educational institutions across Bangladesh.

Furthermore, more than 26,000 primary schools have so far been nationalized, in a bid to set up a public primary school in every village of the country.
Again, good aim but primary is worth nothing more than being able to read and write. We should aim at least SSC or ideally college education (12th grade). Our country needs educated workforce to sustain ourselves. We don't have neither enough land or any natural resources to rely on. Education should be the primary focus if we want to aim more than just a middle income or developed country.

At the secondary level, Upazila ICT Training and Resource Centres have been established and 295 non-government schools have been transformed into model schools in 315 upazilas.

Construction of new buildings for 5,500 non-government educational institutions, including schools and colleges, is also ongoing.
Good. Government should focus on neglected parts of our country. City folks can do by ourselves but neglected districts don't have enough or any options for good education.

About 3.8 million students from the 6th grade to undergraduate level are provided with stipends and other forms of assistance at a cost of Tk675 crore.
Great. Raise it as much as possible. This current generation Z is literally our future. They will be the ones to take this country from middle income to high income economy. Which would certainly need a lot of educated citizens. Let's make sure they can have much better and brighter future than what we get.

Expect vehement opposition to this statistics by some ego boosted peoples from the country which is Supa Pawa since 2012.

If anyone wanna know why BD lags behind Zambia in scientific output, look no further than the posts in this forum...

Indian data is from 2011 & Bangladesh from 2016... Minions have already started celebrating...:lol:

http://data.uis.unesco.org

If anyone wanna know why BD lags behind Zambia in scientific output, look no further than the posts in this forum...

Indian data is from 2011 & Bangladesh from 2016... Minions have already started celebrating...:lol:

We were the lowest when it comes to literacy. We were even lower than Pakistan and Nepal. BD was at least 30% lower than India once.

My observation on India is percentage of literacy kinda stagnated in the 70s. Its probably due to some segment of the Indian society completely left out.

Except agriculture BD government has zero investment in R&D.

India had 69.3% in 2011 and 86.14% literacy rate for 15-24 years old in 2011 . Any ways well done BD

My observation on India is percentage of literacy kinda stagnated in the 70s. Its probably due to some segment of the Indian society completely left out.
dude from where are you doing these "observations" ? india's literacy for instance was 40% in 1981 and was 69.3 in 2011 . So ~30% increase in 3 decades . That's what the goal is really to increase 10% per decade and pulling off extra ordinary rise like BD is impossible for india . But we are steady

India had 69.3% in 2011 and 86.14% literacy rate for 15-24 years old in 2011 . Any ways well done BD

dude from where are you doing these "observations" ? india's literacy for instance was 40% in 1981 and was 69.3 in 2011 . So ~30% increase in 3 decades . That's what the goal is really to increase 10% per decade and pulling off extra ordinary rise like BD is impossible for india . But we are steady

BD will probably now increase literacy much slower at around 10% a decade till it reaches near 100% by 2040-2050.

This is an interesting thread. But again we've spoiled it by unnecessarily dragging india into the discussion. Why r we so obsessed with india. Really sad. :lol:

As SJC said in his article, don't get blinded by anti India hysteria. If we wanna be respected as a nation, we have to respect others too. :smitten:

I am from science background and i can tell you BD education system is rotten.
I passed HSC level with good grade without knowing what HCL or H2SO4 looks like.

It is all just memorizing the books word by word and hold it till the exam.
Even in universities are not up for the job except very few exception.

I drooped out of university and got involved in computer programming.
I learned way more about science just watching documentaries on YouTube then what i have learned over the course of my 13 years of study.

I studied 2 English subject each year for 12 years and could not speak a line.
And i am currently learning English after dropping out of university and made significant progress.

Now things have gone worst. Question papers being out every other day is now a very common incident.
In Dhaka university admission test, student can't even pass the English test let alone any competition.

Even medical university admission test question papers are all over the internet before the exam.

In the end i can tell you this, our students won't be contributing in science and technology anywhere in the near future, unless our education system goes through massive updates.

I am from science background and i can tell you BD education system is rotten.
I passed HSC level with good grade without knowing what HCL or H2SO4 looks like.

It is all just memorizing the books word by word and hold it till the exam.
Even in universities are not up for the job except very few exception.

I drooped out of university and got involved in computer programming.
I learned way more about science just watching documentaries on YouTube then what i have learned over the course of my 13 years of study.

I studied 2 English subject each year for 12 years and could not speak a line.
And i am currently learning English after dropping out of university and made significant progress.

Now things have gone worst. Question papers being out every other day is now a very common incident.
In Dhaka university admission test, student can't even pass the English test let alone any competition.

Even medical university admission test question papers are all over the internet before the exam.

In the end i can tell you this, our students won't be contributing in science and technology anywhere in the near future, unless our education system goes through massive updates.
Education system only let you to learn how to read and find information what you need. Gaining knowledge is up to the individual. Dont blame the system. Frankly speaking i could solve better geometry than my high school teachers.. why? I dont know.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom