What's new

Understanding Human Intelligence (HUMINT) - Part 1

jhungary

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
China
Understanding Human Intelligence (HUMINT) Part 1, What is HUMINT?

Human Intelligence exist almost as old as war itself, the practices of Human Intelligence goes far back from the first interrogation of POW in war, to the first informant. No country fought without certain degree of intel or information. Hence there would be a need of a way to collect Intelligence from Human source. This method predate all other intelligence gathering method, commonly knows as Signal Intelligence (SIGINT) or Imagary Intelligence (IMAINT) which most likely require modern technology to goes with the information gathering.

What is Human Intelligence?

Basically, all information collected by way of Human interaction are called Human Intelligence. Human Interaction including talking, listening, sensing or by means of indirect apporach, in other words, questioning and interrogation.

Human intelligence can be obtain thru numerous of method, commonly either by inserting agent on a rival intelligence (Spying), which INTEL community coined it "Penetration" or by questioning and interrogation of subject and individual. However, advance technique such as "fishing" Where a person is being temped or tricked into divulging their own intelligence given by a form of token information may also classified as Human Intelligence.

What HUMINT is for?

There are basically 3 categories for HUMINT to apply

1.) Positive Intelligence - Information that would be used to make political decision, intel which benefit the executive branch of the government, where they can be used to make the overall decision toward a general area.

Say for example, if a human agent response to the intelligence gathering on A country, and get hold of what their intention would be if Their own country invaded Country B, Country A neighbour, that intel would dictate or put into consideration for the own Country step toward country B. That is called Positive Intelligence.

2,) Operational Intelligence - Information that would be determine or assist on operation/operational integrity. With an ongoing operation at hand, situation change from minute to minute, it's utmost important to get the intelligence right to make move against or support a certain ongoing operation, that intel could be required by Human Source and would be said as being Operational Intelligence.

For example. A EPW could give out Operational intel to your enemy combatent, such as the troop movement and troop deposition in the region, which would change every minute but related to the ongoing operation you are conducting.

Operational intelligence usually are time sensitive, once the operation at hand were finished and the intelligence itself would becoming useless. So most operational intel would have a TTL (Time-to-Live) limitation attached.

3.) Counter Intelligence - Information that would help understanding rival entity and also confuse and misdirect foreign intelligence operation.

Most intelligence organisation rely heavily on penetration into enemy or rival agency for counter intelligence operation. Suuch works usually clandestine and could be considered the highest form of espionage.
Counter intelligence could be existing as one of the 2, the first being a penetration that extract rivialry intelligence and put them to use within your own intelligence organisation. Usually involve spying on rival agency by mean of agent, asset, mole or all of the above.

The second being funneling misinformation into rivalry agency. Such act would deter and confuse the rivalry agency which denial their ability to get actual applipable intelligence from your own country.

On the surface, HUMINT Info can be used for making political decision, operational security, and informtion gathering (data Mining) but it does not, however, limited to such role. it could be used as a secondry information for any precaution or preduence toward a stand alone operation. In short, no intel is a form of intel, as usually there would be chatter within information pipeline, a clear sign of no collectable intelligence mean soemthing is going wrong with the current situation.

How HUMINT are collected

There are 2 ways to do it, either by covertly (Clandestine Operation) or overtly (Open but discreed Operation)

Covert Operation involve a series of agents and asset to be implemented in the target country without the local government knowledge, there are numerous cover an agent or its case officer can use when applying to this operation. They can be covered as governmental authority (Official in an embassy on a foreign land) or Non-Governmental Cover (such as Businessman or NGO worker) or simply a resident.

Covert operation can and will provide sourceful intel on Positive Intelligence and Counter intelligence, their ability to provide operational intel is low as most Operational intel are live intel and clandestine ops usually take months to set up, any operational intel cames up would most likely to be chance intel.

The other way to collect HUMINT is by overtly, meaning you do it in an open and discreed manner. That's involve skilled advanced interrogation, people volunteering with intelligence, both domestic and internationally and finally by trickry, by use of fishing, tempting and honey trap.

Intelligence can be obtained by interrogation of EPW, political criminal and even civilian. Skilled are very much heavily depended upon on overt ops. Where it almost always generate operational intel, sometime with positive intel, but less effective against counterintelligence.

Advantage over other Intel Collection method.

Compare to SIGINT, and IMGINT, HUMINT are still use and very useful today because of one very simple reason, all intelligence are processed first hand. When you look at Satallite imagry, you could not actually tell what is behind the said image. You can see, for example, the enemy is fuelling their rocket or testing something, but without operational HUMINT, you would not know the story behind it, and the story is pretty important.

While you can take away some work on HUMINT by working both SIGINT and IMGINT together, the facts remained that all viable intel thruought HUMINT are first hand, first account. And if the vetting and association is done right, those intel are almost always legitimate. As to not going to give you any fog of war.

We will discuss the different between HUMINT, SIGINT and IMAINT closely in part 3

Part - 2 will be the understanding of HUMINT operation.

Last edited:
@SvenSvensonov , @LeveragedBuyout

@jhungary

This is a really interesting point of discussion , I'm refraining from posting anything substantive until you post your Part 2, but I'd love to read you address the neurocognitive component in the comprehension processes and how some aspects of that influence behavioral , disposition -- in the military, political and related parameters.

Sincerely Yours,
@Nihonjin1051

@SvenSvensonov , @LeveragedBuyout

@jhungary

This is a really interesting point of discussion , I'm refraining from posting anything substantive until you post your Part 2, but I'd love to read you address the neurocognitive component in the comprehension processes and how some aspects of that influence behavioral , disposition -- in the military, political and related parameters.

Sincerely Yours,
@Nihonjin1051

that could be quite far away, dont think i am going to write anything during christmas lol

but part 2 would be pretty colourful as i am going to discuss advance interrogation methos as well as tradecraft of clandestine operation.

well in a capacity i can of course, dont want NSA come knock at my door...

Compare to SIGINT, and IMGINT, HUMINT are still use and very useful today because of one very simple reason, all intelligence are processed first hand..

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement? I, having worked in a sector that deals with ELINT and SIGNIT (MASINT and TELINT are were also our purview), that sector being EMSEC as a tech as SPAWAR, don't agree that SIGINT has lost its use or usefulness, and this the impression I'm getting from this statement. I could be wrong, having misread, and this is why I'd like a clarification. SIGINT and ELINT are very, very important in an age where electronics dominate our lives and especially communications. HUMINT gathers far less then our electronic eavesdropping. From technical info on enemy systems, to their communications and battle-plans to normal chatter, this is what ELINT and SIGINT offer, HUMINT offers these too but on a smaller, but potentially more significant magnitude (I'm looking at you John Walker!!!)... that and HUMINT takes a lot longer to establish, as see with US mafia or drug gang infiltration. Sometimes you need years to build up a trust level in a contact.

For those not familiar with "SPAWAR" this is what I'm talking about:

Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, HUMINT is still immensely important and as your analysis pointed out, used as well. There is no better, or more dangerous source then the man on the inside and serious vetting needs to be done to avoid the possibility of treachery.

John Walker was one of the most dangerous HUMINT contacts for the Russians, this shows the level of respect we should have for this discipline and its effects (assuming they are successful):

John Anthony Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This case is one of those examples of the danger of HUMINT:

"Attacker in Afghanistan Was a Double Agent"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/world/asia/05cia.html?_r=0

One bad contact and your f***ed. Sure it's an exception... perhaps? But it highlights the ever present dangers HUMINT officers face.

Still, we and other nations put it to good use. CIA station chiefs primarily use HUMINT to gather contacts and conduct their operations, stirring up domestic tensions is one of their most commonly attributed traits. From their supposed roles in Hong Kong and Ukraine, which many on this forum attribute to the US Intelligence services (or similar western counterparts) to the US infiltration of Latin American drug gangs, we make effective use of this form of intel gathering, I'm not going to dispute this.

One problem, and this is a problem that all intelligence gathering methods have, is that you need to know what you are looking for:

"Unless precise requirements are set, data will be collected unsystematically and the decision maker ultimately left without pertinent information on which to act. Collected data must be evaluated and transformed into a usable form and sometimes stored for future use. Evaluation is essential, because many of the wide variety of sources are of doubtful reliability. A standardized system is used to rate the reliability of sources and the likely accuracy of the information they provide; information may be classified as true once it is confirmed by a number of sources."

This is equally true for HUMINT. Interrogations don't happen by yelling or bargaining with another person when the officer doing the interrogation doesn't know what they want! It's a fine art that is constantly being refined and one that doesn't have the luxury or algorithms that do the sorting for you... as seen in SIGINT and ELINT.

HUMINT

Having a solid grasp on SIGINT and ELINT I appreciate just how hard HUMINT is, but often the data provided by a contact is outdated before it can be acted upon. This isn't always the case, sometimes the best info comes from human sources, but its a slow method of gathering data. SIGINT and ELINT provide a more timely, but not always as complete picture.

I also understand the connection between the disciplines though. A SIGINT officer comes to be a HUMINT too by analyzing the unique patterns of a person speaking on a radio, or phone or sending other electronic signals. We all have unique patterns and mannerisms that can be determined and help an intel office ascertain our identity and build a picture about ourselves. I don't want to get too ahead of you and start providing info on things you haven't covered yet, but I too have a lot of offer in this analysis of the relationship of the disciplines.

Anyway, interesting read, surely some of the laypeople on this forum will learn a thing or two, I'm a bit more well-versed but I always appreciate a refresher.

@levina - you once offered that I was a cryptographic technician after I cracked your signature, you're not completely wrong:partay:. ELINT and SIGINT often see encrypted comms cracked or protected.

that could be quite far away, dont think i am going to write anything during christmas lol

but part 2 would be pretty colourful as i am going to discuss advance interrogation methos as well as tradecraft of clandestine operation.

It's the FBI you should worry about, the NSA is SIGINT and ELINT and doesn't have power of arrest, they can't issue warrants either... I worked with, but not for them, as much of the gear SPAWAR develops ends up in the hands of the NSA or is certified by them. The NSA is heavily involved in EMSEC too.

@Nihonjin1051 - thanks for the tag:enjoy:

Last edited:

Well then, please permit me to add in the neurocognitive aspect afterwards, hehe! As for the the interrogation methods and tradecraft , am looking forward to absorb whatever you write. You've sparked my interest.

ps. as for NSA,... he he he!

I've read that US should 've better HUMINT to break ISIS.And that clandestine human intelligence makes up a surprisingly small percentage of the US intelligence collection effort worldwide.I'm assuming this should be the reason why when drone attacks 're done (based on SIGNIT and IMGINT) the forces end up killing the non combatants too as a drone can not distinguish between combatants and noncombatants. My conclusion was that drone attacks are only as effective as the intelligence behind them.
Gary somehow your thread reminds me of "operation unthinkable" which was sniffed out by Stalin's spies even as Churchill was planning it.

I had read somewhere about OSINT and GEOINT too though I get confused when I compare it to SIGINT and IMGINT, or more specifically GEOINT and IMGINT because I know OSINT is gathered from internet and other social media etc.

@jhungary I want to know more about HUMINT training.How 're the men trained for counter intelligence ??
I always thought there would be a part -2 to your thread on interrogation. why dont you bump that thread??? That is if you dont mind and if you're free.

SvenSvensonov said:
@@levina - you once offered that I was a cryptographic technician after I cracked your signature, you're not completely wrong:partay:. ELINT and SIGINT often see encrypted comms cracked or protected.
Thank you so much for the tag because I didnot get any notification when @jhungary tagged me on this thread (FYI - @WebMaster , I 'm still missing out on many notifications when members tag me).

Last edited:
well answer is simple. One needs to understand himself first, he has to realize what he is. Understanding one person lone will take 1000 years of knowledge.

You guys don't like to wait now aren't ya?

You guy did not wait until I wrote the 2 other part, but well, I will try to answer /address some of your question without revealing too much and spoil my article later., but I am not going to do them now, I have another article I need to write an article on Cold Start and another with war story.

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement? I, having worked in a sector that deals with ELINT and SIGNIT (MASINT and TELINT are were also our purview), that sector being EMSEC as a tech as SPAWAR, don't agree that SIGINT has lost its use or usefulness, and this the impression I'm getting from this statement. I could be wrong, having misread, and this is why I'd like a clarification. SIGINT and ELINT are very, very important in an age where electronics dominate our lives and especially communications. HUMINT gathers far less then our electronic eavesdropping. From technical info on enemy systems, to their communications and battle-plans to normal chatter, this is what ELINT and SIGINT offer, HUMINT offers these too but on a smaller, but potentially more significant magnitude (I'm looking at you John Walker!!!)... that and HUMINT takes a lot longer to establish, as see with US mafia or drug gang infiltration. Sometimes you need years to build up a trust level in a contact.

For those not familiar with "SPAWAR" this is what I'm talking about:

Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, HUMINT is still immensely important and as your analysis pointed out, used as well. There is no better, or more dangerous source then the man on the inside and serious vetting needs to be done to avoid the possibility of treachery.

John Walker was one of the most dangerous HUMINT contacts for the Russians, this shows the level of respect we should have for this discipline and its effects (assuming they are successful):

John Anthony Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This case is one of those examples of the danger of HUMINT:

"Attacker in Afghanistan Was a Double Agent"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/world/asia/05cia.html?_r=0

One bad contact and your f***ed. Sure it's an exception... perhaps? But it highlights the ever present dangers HUMINT officers face.

Still, we and other nations put it to good use. CIA station chiefs primarily use HUMINT to gather contacts and conduct their operations, stirring up domestic tensions is one of their most commonly attributed traits. From their supposed roles in Hong Kong and Ukraine, which many on this forum attribute to the US Intelligence services (or similar western counterparts) to the US infiltration of Latin American drug gangs, we make effective use of this form of intel gathering, I'm not going to dispute this.

One problem, and this is a problem that all intelligence gathering methods have, is that you need to know what you are looking for:

"Unless precise requirements are set, data will be collected unsystematically and the decision maker ultimately left without pertinent information on which to act. Collected data must be evaluated and transformed into a usable form and sometimes stored for future use. Evaluation is essential, because many of the wide variety of sources are of doubtful reliability. A standardized system is used to rate the reliability of sources and the likely accuracy of the information they provide; information may be classified as true once it is confirmed by a number of sources."

This is equally true for HUMINT. Interrogations don't happen by yelling or bargaining with another person when the officer doing the interrogation doesn't know what they want! It's a fine art that is constantly being refined and one that doesn't have the luxury or algorithms that do the sorting for you... as seen in SIGINT and ELINT.

HUMINT

Having a solid grasp on SIGINT and ELINT I appreciate just how hard HUMINT is, but often the data provided by a contact is outdated before it can be acted upon. This isn't always the case, sometimes the best info comes from human sources, but its a slow method of gathering data. SIGINT and ELINT provide a more timely, but not always as complete picture.

I also understand the connection between the disciplines though. A SIGINT officer comes to be a HUMINT too by analyzing the unique patterns of a person speaking on a radio, or phone or sending other electronic signals. We all have unique patterns and mannerisms that can be determined and help an intel office ascertain our identity and build a picture about ourselves. I don't want to get too ahead of you and start providing info on things you haven't covered yet, but I too have a lot of offer in this analysis of the relationship of the disciplines.

Anyway, interesting read, surely some of the laypeople on this forum will learn a thing or two, I'm a bit more well-versed but I always appreciate a refresher.

@levina - you once offered that I was a cryptographic technician after I cracked your signature, you're not completely wrong:partay:. ELINT and SIGINT often see encrypted comms cracked or protected.

Maybe because I wrote this 2 am and on a dunk Saturday, my wording could have been better.....

It's not intention to say SIGINT and ELINT or the like are useless, on the contrary, many agency are now moving away the old/tradition HUMINT and into SIGINT and ELINT. HUMINT have its own value that SIGINT and ELINT cannot replace.

To be fair SIGINT and ELINT are probably of a different category than HUMINT. I was going to go over this in detail with part 3, i try to be brief here, so as to not give out too much and you will still come back for part 3.

When I say HUMINT are first hand, basically what I was saying is HUMINT are processed in real-time, basically, the picture is clear and you do not have a hidden message when you are passing Intel from human to human. On the other hand, SIGINT or ELINT, you only get one part of the picture. Where the story is lacking.

Say for example. We want to obtain Intel between Subject A and Subject B, in the mean of Interviewing Subject A (HUMINT) and tapping the mobile phone conversation between Subject A and Subject B (SIGINT)

Now, imagine both method give you the same piece of information

The piece of information is "He'd Killed Him"

But this message alone are without intelligence value, as this does not complete the picture. Question like
-Who killed who?
-How
-What happened next

have to be answer so you can make use of this piece of information.

Now if you are mining with HUMINT, subject A is right there, you can interact with him and ask him those question yourselves. But for SIGINT, you probably need to go through a lot of hours of phone call before or after this interception and you may not get the answer in the end.

If you talk about operational security, indeed if Subject A cannot be trusted, then the HUMINT ops will be flawed, however, this would still be the same with SIGINT as Subject A cannot be trusted, so what he said, before, on and after is also cannot be trusted, the risk are the same, but with HUMINT, you get to interact with your subject, where as SIGINT are one off, you either get it or don't, it's not like you can rang up subject A and ask him yourselves. So in the end, you would have no control on what Subject A May or may not say. Thus render your Intel ineffective.

Also be cause of HUMINT can work both way, you can get vet information from Human Source but you can also pipe down info for your human source to act as a decoy, while SIGINT and ELINT or IMAINT can only work in one direction, which is they give you information.

Now, I don't know if what I said is still true, as i was out of the game for about 9 years now, a lot can be changed, but this is what i understood when i was in the field.

It's the FBI you should worry about, the NSA is SIGINT and ELINT and doesn't have power of arrest, they can't issue warrants either... I worked with, but not for them, as much of the gear SPAWAR develops ends up in the hands of the NSA or is certified by them. The NSA is heavily involved in EMSEC too.
@Nihonjin1051 - thanks for the tag:enjoy:

lol cause i work with them in my army days and i have to sign document saying that i will not divluge any operational detail public. Plus i am not in the US anymore......

In fact, i was trained and groomed for CIA ops by the Military (Well, i am half Chinese and Half Hispanic and i speak both Spanish and Chinese fluently plus i know both custom very well, i am the kind they usually recruit for Far Easy or SA Ops...) I was actually invited to go through the farm and i passed the CIA Vetting. What i only need to do is to get thru my tour in Afghanistan in one piece, that was not to be...

They offered me an analyst position in the CIA but i turned them down since i thought if i am not gonna do any field work, why i am joining the CIA...lol

I am not scare of getting arrested, rather scare of getting disappeared by the SAD or NCA agent......

Well then, please permit me to add in the neurocognitive aspect afterwards, hehe! As for the the interrogation methods and tradecraft , am looking forward to absorb whatever you write. You've sparked my interest.

ps. as for NSA,... he he he!

Well, currently I am still yet to finish the other article lol

I've read that US should 've better HUMINT to break ISIS.And that clandestine human intelligence makes up a surprisingly small percentage of the US intelligence collection effort worldwide.I'm assuming this should be the reason why when drone attacks 're done (based on SIGNIT and IMGINT) the forces end up killing the non combatants too as a drone can not distinguish between combatants and noncombatants. My conclusion was that drone attacks are only as effective as the intelligence behind them.
Gary somehow your thread reminds me of "operation unthinkable" which was sniffed out by Stalin's spies even as Churchill was planning it.

I had read somewhere about OSINT and GEOINT too though I get confused when I compare it to SIGINT and IMGINT, or more specifically GEOINT and IMGINT because I know OSINT is gathered from internet and other social media etc.

@jhungary I want to know more about HUMINT training.How 're the men trained for counter intelligence ??
I always thought there would be a part -2 to your thread on interrogation. why dont you bump that thread??? That is if you dont mind and if you're free.

Thank you so much for the tag because I didnot get any notification when @jhungary tagged me on this thread (FYI - @WebMaster , I 'm still missing out on many notifications when members tag me).

@jhungary I really dont want to miss any of your threads and I can proudly say that i've read most of your threads (you know it) so Gary next time you dont see me on your thread just nudge me.

So @SvenSvensonov try cracking this one...
" qglr ua tiye ioubuib lviyr osd"
trust me there's a code, created completely by..moi. :partay:

@S.U.R.B. @nair @SpArK @scorpionx
you guys might like this thread

Well, the HUMINT part usually limited to the very beginning or the very end, when they are doing the drone things.
First the vet out potential target and then they are going to use SIGINT to monitor the target, and finally decide to strike them or not. And they will usually send a SF team to access effectiveness.

What the US Military eventually turn the drone strike into revenge killing or straight out assassination by grudged person. What most of them do is they will tell US there is a target somewhere, most likely the person giving out this information is having some kind of grudge to that person he is giving out. And if that person looks dodgy enough, the Military will go thru the drone strike.

I don't know how much have change since i left the Mil-Int, but back then it was 2005, we don't have much of a problem about drone strike hitting civilian....strike were approved more easily then now i supposed..

well answer is simple. One needs to understand himself first, he has to realize what he is. Understanding one person lone will take 1000 years of knowledge.

What are you talking about?

Well, the HUMINT part usually limited to the very beginning or the very end, when they are doing the drone things.
First the vet out potential target and then they are going to use SIGINT to monitor the target, and finally decide to strike them or not. And they will usually send a SF team to access effectiveness.

What the US Military eventually turn the drone strike into revenge killing or straight out assassination by grudged person. What most of them do is they will tell US there is a target somewhere, most likely the person giving out this information is having some kind of grudge to that person he is giving out. And if that person looks dodgy enough, the Military will go thru the drone strike.

I don't know how much have change since i left the Mil-Int, but back then it was 2005, we don't have much of a problem about drone strike hitting civilian....strike were approved more easily then now i supposed..
Oh!
I expected more professionalism within the ranks of US amry specially before making a drone attack where the chances of killing innocents 're high.
But it is doleful that drone attacks 've become a way to vent out one's anger and grudge at someone.

I'm assuming you will write more about spy trainings and their covert operations in the next part.

So are you updating your interrogation thread sir??? (I know you're busy but still, because that was a very interesting thread).

Last edited:
Understanding Human Intelligence (HUMINT) Part 1, What is HUMINT?

Human Intelligence exist almost as old as war itself, the practices of Human Intelligence goes far back from the first interrogation of POW in war, to the first informant. No country fought without certain degree of intel or information. Hence there would be a need of a way to collect Intelligence from Human source. This method predate all other intelligence gathering method, commonly knows as Signal Intelligence (SIGINT) or Imagary Intelligence (IMAINT) which most likely require modern technology to goes with the information gathering.

What is Human Intelligence?

Basically, all information collected by way of Human interaction are called Human Intelligence. Human Interaction including talking, listening, sensing or by means of indirect apporach, in other words, questioning and interrogation.

Human intelligence can be obtain thru numerous of method, commonly either by inserting agent on a rival intelligence (Spying), which INTEL community coined it "Penetration" or by questioning and interrogation of subject and individual. However, advance technique such as "fishing" Where a person is being temped or tricked into divulging their own intelligence given by a form of token information may also classified as Human Intelligence.

What HUMINT is for?

There are basically 3 categories for HUMINT to apply

1.) Positive Intelligence - Information that would be used to make political decision, intel which benefit the executive branch of the government, where they can be used to make the overall decision toward a general area.

Say for example, if a human agent response to the intelligence gathering on A country, and get hold of what their intention would be if Their own country invaded Country B, Country A neighbour, that intel would dictate or put into consideration for the own Country step toward country B. That is called Positive Intelligence.

2,) Operational Intelligence - Information that would be determine or assist on operation/operational integrity. With an ongoing operation at hand, situation change from minute to minute, it's utmost important to get the intelligence right to make move against or support a certain ongoing operation, that intel could be required by Human Source and would be said as being Operational Intelligence.

For example. A EPW could give out Operational intel to your enemy combatent, such as the troop movement and troop deposition in the region, which would change every minute but related to the ongoing operation you are conducting.

Operational intelligence usually are time sensitive, once the operation at hand were finished and the intelligence itself would becoming useless. So most operational intel would have a TTL (Time-to-Live) limitation attached.

3.) Counter Intelligence - Information that would help understanding rival entity and also confuse and misdirect foreign intelligence operation.

Most intelligence organisation rely heavily on penetration into enemy or rival agency for counter intelligence operation. Suuch works usually clandestine and could be considered the highest form of espionage.
Counter intelligence could be existing as one of the 2, the first being a penetration that extract rivialry intelligence and put them to use within your own intelligence organisation. Usually involve spying on rival agency by mean of agent, asset, mole or all of the above.

The second being funneling misinformation into rivalry agency. Such act would deter and confuse the rivalry agency which denial their ability to get actual applipable intelligence from your own country.

On the surface, HUMINT Info can be used for making political decision, operational security, and informtion gathering (data Mining) but it does not, however, limited to such role. it could be used as a secondry information for any precaution or preduence toward a stand alone operation. In short, no intel is a form of intel, as usually there would be chatter within information pipeline, a clear sign of no collectable intelligence mean soemthing is going wrong with the current situation.

How HUMINT are collected

There are 2 ways to do it, either by covertly (Clandestine Operation) or overtly (Open but discreed Operation)

Covert Operation involve a series of agents and asset to be implemented in the target country without the local government knowledge, there are numerous cover an agent or its case officer can use when applying to this operation. They can be covered as governmental authority (Official in an embassy on a foreign land) or Non-Governmental Cover (such as Businessman or NGO worker) or simply a resident.

Covert operation can and will provide sourceful intel on Positive Intelligence and Counter intelligence, their ability to provide operational intel is low as most Operational intel are live intel and clandestine ops usually take months to set up, any operational intel cames up would most likely to be chance intel.

The other way to collect HUMINT is by overtly, meaning you do it in an open and discreed manner. That's involve skilled advanced interrogation, people volunteering with intelligence, both domestic and internationally and finally by trickry, by use of fishing, tempting and honey trap.

Intelligence can be obtained by interrogation of EPW, political criminal and even civilian. Skilled are very much heavily depended upon on overt ops. Where it almost always generate operational intel, sometime with positive intel, but less effective against counterintelligence.

Advantage over other Intel Collection method.

Compare to SIGINT, and IMGINT, HUMINT are still use and very useful today because of one very simple reason, all intelligence are processed first hand. When you look at Satallite imagry, you could not actually tell what is behind the said image. You can see, for example, the enemy is fuelling their rocket or testing something, but without operational HUMINT, you would not know the story behind it, and the story is pretty important.

While you can take away some work on HUMINT by working both SIGINT and IMGINT together, the facts remained that all viable intel thruought HUMINT are first hand, first account. And if the vetting and association is done right, those intel are almost always legitimate. As to not going to give you any fog of war.

We will discuss the different between HUMINT, SIGINT and IMAINT closely in part 3

Part - 2 will be the understanding of HUMINT operation.
Excellent post @jhungary brilliant.!
So,human information collection and methodology is seriously unique masterpiece.
However,I am also getting interested over "information collector's " psyche. I wonder, as how much their attitude towards information collection affects upon rate of information.I also wonder that how much of an informant's psyche affects as well.
Eg: Consider an organization A which intends to apply covert operation in country X,and for this purpose, they must have to collect knowledge of organization X,which is their intelligence agency. Now both organizations consist of well trained officers and you are unable to collect info b/c of their strong defensive system(penetration seems not working nor luring) .Now what organization A is gonna do?

probably best if you edited it a little, it looks like a drunk guy ranting about something lol (cuz I was literally drunk when I wrote this....and I never wrote sober, cuz I know I would not like it, so I have to wrote drunk....)
Lol,I wonder what are you gonna do with your full consciousness!
Why do you people get drunk anyway? It doesn't solve anything?

The Human Intelligence analysis|Unit 1
@Horus please rename the title of post as I have written above:D
@jhungary I hope it looks more "sober" now :lol:

Thanks

Last edited:
Excellent post @jhungary brilliant.!
So,human information collection and methodology is seriously unique masterpiece.
However,I am also getting interested over "information collector's " psyche. I wonder, as how much their attitude towards information collection affects upon rate of information.I also wonder that how much of an informant's psyche affects as well.
Eg: Consider an organization A which intends to apply covert operation in country X,and for this purpose, they must have to collect knowledge of organization X,which is their intelligence agency. Now both organizations consist of well trained officers and you are unable to collect info b/c of their strong defensive system(penetration seems not working nor luring) .Now what organization A is gonna do?

Lol,I wonder what are you gonna do with your full consciousness!
Why do you people get drunk anyway? It doesn't solve anything?

What you are asking is the way of which agent and asset to penetrate. There is a playbook in play for agent and case officer alike, but unfortunately i cannot tell you what it said, i can make you understand what it need to be done, but i cannot tell you how that was done, hope this will be enough to satisfied your appetite

I will be going over that in part 2 of this article.

I usually wrote drunk because i hate writing just about anything, so i have to do that when i am most comfortable.... That's when i was drunk, i know it's weird but that's how i work :)

Oh!
I expected more professionalism within the ranks of US amry specially before making a drone attack where the chances of killing innocents 're high.
But it is doleful that drone attacks 've become a way to vent out one's anger and grudge at someone.

I'm assuming you will write more about spy trainings and their covert operations in the next part.

So are you updating your interrogation thread sir??? (I know you're busy but still, because that was a very interesting thread).

It's not really about professionalism, but about resources management.

I have to clear it out in the air, the US Military will not strike civilian on purpose, nor do we "Slack" on verifying any target, people need to understand this first.

It's about resource, And we simply do not have enough resource to laydown ground work for each target before we hit them, if we do, the window may be long gone, and it's quite impractical to do so.

Problem with the strike is, we can only choose to strike or not, and as i said, the Military would only strike the target look dodgy enough(like having association to known terrorist activities.) but it's extremely hard to actually understand the geopolitical ramification of said target in that window we have to decided on a strike.

Yes, sometime it would become a method or way for individual Afghani to take out grudge against someone, especially when that afghan informant have given out useful Intel before.

I am going to merge the technique of interrogat

What you are asking is the way of which agent and asset to penetrate. There is a playbook in play for agent and case officer alike, but unfortunately i cannot tell you what it said, i can make you understand what it need to be done, but i cannot tell you how that was done, hope this will be enough to satisfied your appetite

I will be going over that in part 2 of this article.

I usually wrote drunk because i hate writing just about anything, so i have to do that when i am most comfortable.... That's when i was drunk, i know it's weird but that's how i work :)

It's not really about professionalism, but about resources management.

I have to clear it out in the air, the US Military will not strike civilian on purpose, nor do we "Slack" on verifying any target, people need to understand this first.

It's about resource, And we simply do not have enough resource to laydown ground work for each target before we hit them, if we do, the window may be long gone, and it's quite impractical to do so.

Problem with the strike is, we can only choose to strike or not, and as i said, the Military would only strike the target look dodgy enough(like having association to known terrorist activities.) but it's extremely hard to actually understand the geopolitical ramification of said target in that window we have to decided on a strike.

Yes, sometime it would become a method or way for individual Afghani to take out grudge against someone, especially when that afghan informant have given out useful Intel before.

I am going to merge the technique of interrogat
Well,alright I will not ask further :D
What seriously, how can you think and process while drunk :P
Well,I don't have idea:D
Anyways, it is a good read,can't wait for part-2
Regards

Back
Top Bottom