What's new

Undecided: Govt in a dilemma over dialogue, operation

Norphisor

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
649838-talibanmilitantAFP-1387863080-764-640x480.jpg

PML-N government is wary of facing reactions from right wing political parties if it pursues military operation. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

LAHORE:
As international powers continue to mount pressure on the Pakistan government – the question of whether to conduct a military operation against the Taliban or to pursue dialogue still looms.

The United States and other global powers fear that the Taliban can turn back to Kabul if their talks with the Pakistani government are successful. Similarly India fears that in case dialogue succeeds, Taliban will support jihadi groups operating in Kashmir to create problems for India.

Sources in the PML-N say the government is in constant contact with the military leadership which has informed the prime minister that if an operation has to be conducted, the winter season was ideal for the Pakistan Army.

However, sources said that the government did not want to disclose any such information in this regard.

The PML-N government is wary of facing reactions from Jamaat-e-Islami and other right wing political parties if it pursues a full-scale military operation against the militants in North Waziristan.

Published in The Express Tribune, December 24th, 2013.
Undecided: Govt in a dilemma over dialogue, operation – The Express Tribune

It's actually the worst season for mountain warfare.
In the article above, sources have been quoted to be saying otherwise.
may be the difficulty factor becomes greater for the talibs than for army.

In the article above, sources have been quoted to be saying otherwise.
may be the difficulty factor becomes greater for the talibs than for army.
I think it's the other way around. The Talibs are better acclimatized to the mountains and the weather conditions as they are born and brought up there. Most troops are from the plains of Punjab etc, unless the PA employs troops like the NLI.

When I said that Pakistan have no clarity in a policy of how to deal with terrorism, Many Pakistani members messed with me. Now the express tribute article states the same.

Back
Top Bottom