What's new

UN to help resolve Kashmir when India and Pakistan both ask: Sec. Gen. Ban

This is where you see the hypocrisy of the UN. If you leave it to India they will never ask. Pakistan has been not asking, but fighting tooth and nail for it.

Von Hölle;1186612 said:
It is an "implied snub" for Pakistani govt. ..which wanted UN involvement in the matter..but UN refused it, until India agrees to it.

Oh the implied snub. This kind of snub isn't worthy enough to be discussed. Case closed. :cheers:

why would UN interfere in our internal matter!:D

like when we say UN involve in some thing, it means the other way around, see the picture carefully :rofl:

59533_437408277242_806557242_4996246_4400263_n.jpg

The UN should do the world a favor and not waste oxygen by making such disgusting platitudes for the people of Kashmir.

If Moon had an ounce of humanity he would have said we will resolve the Kashmir issue if KASHMIRIS ask us to.

Very astute sir.. Wish we have more of your kind on both sides.. If nothing else, atleast in the political leadership
Thanks Karan. It's an emotional affair, but at the same time we can't be hostage to the UN.

If we want to bring up the plebiscite, then the situation on the ground has changed (Leh, Ladakh and Jammu wanting to remain with India), and that it doesn't accomodate a third option - independence. There are other issues with it too.

So place the UN to one side and that means bilateral talks are the only way forward. As I've touched on, we seemed to be doing ok a few years back, so there's no reason why we can't do it again.

This is the reason why the word snub is in inverted commas in my post.

On the P.S. above, it would be a waste of time & effort as nothing has or shall change on the ground.Something this thread also brings out.

i didnt even see your inverted commas dude. My reply was in reference to the word snub used in the title of the newslink - an indian site ofcourse. You dont find other news outlets quoting this news in this context.

The UN should do the world a favor and not waste oxygen by making such disgusting platitudes for the people of Kashmir.

If Moon had an ounce of humanity he would have said we will resolve the Kashmir issue if KASHMIRIS ask us to.

Kashmir is not a member state of UN or even a recongnizable entity. As far as UN is concerned, this is a boundary dispute between 2 of its members, namely India and Pakistan. Any other emotional or otherwise angle to this is irrelavent to the UN

i didnt even see your inverted commas dude. My reply was in reference to the word snub used in the title of the newslink - an indian site ofcourse. You dont find other news outlets quoting this news in this context.

Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth. But since you need someone to hold your pinky and lead your way, let me explain where the 'snub' is.

'Q: Mr. Secretary-General, since June of this year, in occupied Kashmir, there is a movement going on which is independent, completely independent of any outside influences and so forth, and 110 people have died in that movement. And there are United Nations resolutions on Kashmir which exist at this time. What is it that you can do to bring about some sort of understanding and agreement between the Indian Government and the Pakistani Government, because the resolution is about a plebiscite between India and Pakistan to ease the pain of the Kashmiris who are dying, every day – children, women?

SG: First of all, I regret the latest loss of life. I have been calling for an immediate end to violence and urge calm and restraint by all concerned. That is the position of the United Nations at this time.
'​

The highlighted part is an acknowledgment that the current situation is not a unilaterally created situation of GoI. But thats not the 'snub'. Read on.

'Q: The second part of the question has not been answered. There is a framework for a settlement of the Kashmir dispute, based on the UN resolutions, as my colleague has said; and in view of the current crisis between nuclear-armed Pakistan and India, and there are tensions, don’t you think it’s time for you to step in and offer good offices to settle this question?

SG: First of all, India and Pakistan, they are neighbouring countries, important nations in that region - peace and security would have important implications. As far as this role of good offices is concerned, the United Nations normally takes that initiative when requested by both parties concerned
.'​
Here is the snub.

1. India says that the Kashmir issue should be solved bilaterally. But Pakistan wants involvement of third party, UN or US, which we refer to as 'internationalizing' the issue. UN makes it clear that it is indeed bilateral issue.

2. India says UN resolutions are dead as dodo. Pakistan refuses to accept, at least officially. UN now makes it clear that the resolutions are indeed dead as dodo.

3. India says no plebiscite. Pakistan wants it. UN now makes it clear that Kashmir is no longer within the ambit of UN.

In other words, India's stand on Kashmir vis a vis UN is validated. In fact Simla Agreement got validated. Thats the 'snub'.

PS: I haven't laughed this hard in a long long time. That was one ginormous middle finger to Pakistan.

Last edited:
What's the big deal or news here?

Isn't the UN just parroting what's been previously said? We all know India's stand that this is a bilateral dispute, and Kofi Annan himself said that the plebiscite is more or less redundant back in 2005.

So if we're looking at the UN to stand up and talk of plebiscites (what many on here are hoping), then that isn't going to happen.

If the US has its offer of mediation over Kashmir turned down time and time again by India, then face reality. India doesn't see this through an international lense, and considers it a bilateral affair.

We can pick as many holes in that stance all day long, but it's not going to change the ground realities.

And our begging of the US and UN to get involved hasn't achieved the desired results. Therefore, Musharraf was sensible and realistic to move away from our previous stance back in 2006:
‘‘We (Pakistan and India) are into a bilateral dialogue. We don’t want to make it trilateral or multilateral,’’ he told CNN-IBN in an interview​
If we're going to resolve Kashmir, it will have to be a discussion between both countries, and the Kashmiris.

Clearly we were making headway over Kashmir just 5 years ago. It was the most intense and sustained level of discussion in decades. Where was the UN? Where was the US?

We did it bilaterally, and we can do it again.

Thanks Karan. It's an emotional affair, but at the same time we can't be hostage to the UN.

If we want to bring up the plebiscite, then the situation on the ground has changed (Leh, Ladakh and Jammu wanting to remain with India), and that it doesn't accomodate a third option - independence. There are other issues with it too.

So place the UN to one side and that means bilateral talks are the only way forward. As I've touched on, we seemed to be doing ok a few years back, so there's no reason why we can't do it again.
Take a bow DGMO saheb.

UN to help resolve Kashmir when India and Pakistan both ask: Sec. Gen. Ban - changed title. ;)

Will India ever ask - :disagree:

Back
Top Bottom