What's new

Ultra-cheap car: a false dawn?

dabong1

<b>PDF VETERAN</b>
Reaction score
Ultra-cheap car: a false dawn?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Praful Bidwai

"Rs1 lakh car drives 1 billion dreams," "Tata reinvents the wheel," screamed the headlines as the media rapturously welcomed the unveiling of Tata Motors' Nano car in Delhi amidst rousing music signifying the coming of an epochal event. The car has been described as "revolutionary," a "historic breakthrough," something that has made "every Indian several inches taller" and will trigger innovation in manufacturing technology the world over!

The Nano is expected to do to India what Ford's Model T did a century ago to the United States by "democratising" automobile ownership. It's being depicted as an achievement not just of one business group or of the automobile industry, but as the triumph of the Indian nation itself, along with its consumer citizens.

On a critical view, however, the Nano is marked by safety features and emission standards. Thanks to its low price, it will greatly expand India's market for cars (currently, 1.5 million). Their proliferation will cause unbearable traffic congestion, enormous pollution and health damage, and set back the all-important fight against global warming. The euphoric welcome fails to understand that in a poor and frugal society like India's, cars cannot democratise. They polarise, not unite, society.

Even the most attractive, iconic, feature of the car--the Rs100,000 price--is probably an illusion. The price tag contains subsidies, in the first place. The Tata Motors plant coming in West Bengal, which will produce the Nano, is subsidised to the extent of Rs8.5 billion by the Left Front government, according to economist and former finance minister Ashok Mitra. This works out to one-fourth of the project's capital cost.

The Indian government has spent about Rs1.5 billion to buy 997 acres of land, but given it to the Tatas almost free. It's also advancing them a Rs20-billion loan at 1 percent interest and granting an exemption from the value-added tax for 10 years, amounting to Rs5 billion.

To further "sweeten" the deal, the state government has gifted to the Tatas 50 acres of prime land just outside Kolkata and another 200 acres in the Bhangar-Rajarhat Area Development Authority to build IT and residential townships.

The total subsidy may thus turn out to be considerably higher. Besides, that superlatively attractive price is only applicable to the bare-bones model as an introductory offer. Nevertheless, the Nano will probably remain the world's cheapest car for some time because its cost has been ruthlessly pared down. The upside of this is unconventional thinking focused on minimalism, which may trigger cost-cutting within the automobile industry.

The downside is the cutting of corners to produce a car with low longevity and high maintenance, which fails the current Western emission and safety standards, and will soon ail Indian norms too. This approach differs from dispensing with luxuries or add-ons, as in having a trunk with space for only a briefcase. For instance, the Nano's designers used a hollow shaft instead of a solid beam to connect the steering-wheel to the axle, and plastics and adhesives instead of many bolts. The car's low-performance wheel bearings will wear out rapidly beyond 70 kph.

It has only one windshield-wiper instead of two. It uses continuous variable transmission, with low acceleration. To save a mere ten dollars, devices called actuators, which adjust the angle of the car's lights to its load, were eliminated. This is likely to affect the car's safety, sturdiness and durability/longevity.

The Nano fails current western emission standards like Euro-IV, and will soon fail Indian standards too. Tata's claim that the Nano meets India's national emission standards hasn't been verified by an independent competent agency. Euro-IV norms will enter force in India's major cities in April 2010 and are much stricter than Bharat-II or III, India's own emission standards.

Similarly, long-overdue safety standards are on their way. These include full-body crash tests--which determine how cars crumple in collisions--airbags and ABS. Implementing them will raise the Nano's costs by 40 to 50 percent.

According to pollution experts, ultra-cheap bare-bones cars like the Nano lack the complex technology needed to maintain initial level of emissions, and could soon produce four to five times more.

The Nano will set a trend under which industry will rush to produce ultra-cheap cars by exploiting India's poor emission standards. Bajaj Auto, Volkswagen, Nissan and GM are already in this race. The addition of stripped-down cars will further slow down urban traffic--whose speed has almost halved recently. This will greatly increase pollution, which has reached critical levels in three-fifths of India's cities and is creating havoc.

Yet, India is following a policy under which a car can legally occupy the same space as a slum-dwelling family considered fit for eviction. This must radically change, so that public transport is given top priority and people can be moved in safe, efficient and environmentally sound ways and have equitable and affordable access to public transport.

Automobilisation of transport and society spells high social costs, resource waste, air pollution, global warming, and iniquitous use of road space. In most Indian cities, cars and two-wheelers hog 60 to 80 percent of space, but deliver 15 to 20 percent of passenger trips. By contrast, buses occupy under 20 percent of road space, and account for up to 60 percent of trips. Cars demand high levels of maintenance, repairs and parking space. They usually occupy prime space--even when unused. Studies show that if car owners were made to pay the economic rent for parking, many would stop using them. At Mumbai's Nariman Point, for instance, the true annual market price of parking space per car would exceed its nominal cost by at least tenfold! Cars are an extremely inefficient form of transportation. They slow down public transport, causing enormous waste of social time and congestion. Above all, they pollute and the particulates they emit contain some 40 known carcinogens.

If present trends are allowed to continue, India's car market will be annually growing at 14.5 percent by 2013. By 2020, more than 150 million Indians and 140 million Chinese will have cars. If this happens, it will become near-impossible to achieve major reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions. China and India account for 70 percent of the recent global increase in energy demand. The Nano should provoke us all to rethink transportation policies in keeping with the requirements of equity and reversing climate change.

The writer, a former newspaper editor, is a researcher and peace and human rights activist based in Delhi. Email: prafulbidwai1@yahoo.co.in

Blah blah blah, all i see and hear is a whole lot of heartburn, both from western and eastern rivals and the tree hugging elitist's within us. I can bet my last rupee that Mr. Praful Bidwai owns a car. Why doesn't he start with giving it up first ? It actually gives me a whole lot of pleasure to read them. No worries, i have a simple question for all those harping about the impact of Nano on global warming, would YOU give up your car and ride a bi-cycle for the sake of earth first ?

Who decides who deserves a car and who a bike ? If the roads get congested, is that because of a cheap car or is that because of the failure of our traffic management system ? Do YOU deserve a car only because you are born rich ? If global warming is a concern, why not ban ALL cars everywhere in the world ?

The entire argument against Nano collapses like a dry heap once faced with the acid test of pragmatic questions.

Blah blah blah, all i see and hear is a whole lot of heartburn, both from western and eastern rivals and the tree hugging elitist's within us. I can bet my last rupee that Mr. Praful Bidwai owns a car. Why doesn't he start with giving it up first ? It actually gives me a whole lot of pleasure to read them. No worries, i have a simple question for all those harping about the impact of Nano on global warming, would YOU give up your car and ride a bi-cycle for the sake of earth first ?

Who decides who deserves a car and who a bike ? If the roads get congested, is that because of a cheap car or is that because of the failure of our traffic management system ? Do YOU deserve a car only because you are born rich ? If global warming is a concern, why not ban ALL cars everywhere in the world ?

The entire argument against Nano collapses like a dry heap once faced with the acid test of pragmatic questions.

I think the more important point in the article ,if your indian is why is money going from the tax payer to a corporation.

Nano, is subsidised to the extent of Rs8.5 billion by the Left Front government, according to economist and former finance minister Ashok Mitra. This works out to one-fourth of the project's capital cost.

Does that mean that TATA will give a quarter of profits to the Left Front government?

The Indian government has spent about Rs1.5 billion to buy 997 acres of land, but given it to the Tatas almost free. It's also advancing them a Rs20-billion loan at 1 percent interest and granting an exemption from the value-added tax for 10 years, amounting to Rs5 billion.

To further "sweeten" the deal, the state government has gifted to the Tatas 50 acres of prime land just outside Kolkata and another 200 acres in the Bhangar-Rajarhat Area Development Authority to build IT and residential townships.

The same thing again,does the indian govt get a share of the profits to invest in the uplift of the people.
If it does then its a good deal.

Government offering subsidies in the form of loans or land isn't out of the ordinary by any means. The US government did this for the big three (GM, Ford, Chrysler) to start an automotive revolution in Detroit back in the day.

I have no doubt that the Indian government will recoup their money from Tata, Mahindra or any of the other burgeoning car manufacturers.

The biggest problem IMO is that the government is giving all the attention to the automotive production sector and not enough on infrastructure.

I understand India is building a cheap car but don't no how to tell ya car has already been invented so for you and other Indians to make a big deal out of this is beyond me.
before u go out and ask others if they are driving a car or not ask your self would u put your family in this car.

http://imageshack.us.

I take it you don't care for global warming as long as u can claim that India is building a car.you c pollution coming out of this vehicle will effect global warming for sure but it will effect India a lot more then others.

I understand India is building a cheap car but don't no how to tell ya car has already been invented so for you and other Indians to make a big deal out of this is beyond me.
before u go out and ask others if they are driving a car or not ask your self would u put your family in this car.
I take it you don't care for global warming as long as u can claim that India is building a car.you c pollution coming out of this vehicle will effect global warming for sure but it will effect India a lot more then others.

All nationalism based diatribes aside, IMHO what Tata has done is really innovative and novel... and it is in fact a big deal. If it weren't so, many of the world's car manufacturers wouldn't have taken notice and the competitor's wouldn't have doubled their efforts to duplicate Tata's strategy.

Ratan Tata has also lived up to his promise of making the "1-lakh" car (notice he was smart enough not to commit to the duration of this price tag). As far as the safety issue is concerned, you have to look at what his target audience is. He's basically going after the people who could until recently only afford to buy two wheelers and use it as a family vehicle... compared to this yea, the Nano is certainly a whole lot safer.

I would prefer to discuss the price when car will be offered for sales.
It would be interesting to see how long GoI keep subsidizing the marketing campaign.
How about the Engine? Is it invented indigenously by TATA?
About assembly plant, there is no doubt that India does not produce car assembly plants.

lol max speed 43 mph. By enabling so many people to buy a car, the Indian road and highway infrastructure will be put under heavy pressure. India's petroleum import bill will increase manifold, traffic jams will worsen, India's pollution problems will worsen. Let's see how this turns out.

Looking at the build quality, it will probably fall apart before it reaches any kind of a decent mileage. Seriously, hollow metal for the steering shaft? What were they thinking? The tiny engine doesn't look promising either. Asians generally seem to test the very limits of most vehicles, so best of luck Tata.

Government of India offers subsidies to almost every Heavy & SME industry. So do many other countries. Last year, West Bengal government almost gifted the land to Infosys for free to set up the development centre. Andhra Pradesh's ex-chief minister C Naidu gifted the land to ISB for free (some say it was sold for just 1 rupee). He even paid for the stamp duty & registration fee. Providing subsidies for setting up industries is nothing new. Government provides SOPs to the industry inorder to kick-start economic activity in a region & generate employment. Initially tex revenues do not matter much. Indian IT industry enjoyed Tax breaks & SOPs for several year(& still do) in order to establish itself. As on today, IT companies in India is one of the biggest employers & handsome pay-masters. As far as I know, government hasn't provided any tax breaks to TATA. So, in about a couple of years time they should be able to recover the money for all the subsidies it'll providing. Moreover, TATA plans to sell over one million NANO's every year. I don't suppose that just one plant can handle that amount of manufacturing capacity.

The author is making blind presumptions that the car will fail Indian & western emission standards when Ratan Tata has himself said that NANO complies to the EURO-IV standard. Tata plan to market the car in other developing countries & there is no way that they would compromise with poor emission srandards. Making whole lot of complaints & expecting a Bentley standard for the price of a bicycle doesn't add any substance to the article. Ofcourse there is no way the car can be compared to a standard $15 K ford vehicle but the most important fact is it widens the envelope of car users. The car is targetted towards millions of Indians who join the lower middle income rank every year. It provides them a mean to fulfil their dream of having their own car.

Energon;133318]All nationalism based diatribes aside, IMHO what Tata has done is really innovative and novel... and it is in fact a big deal. If it weren't so, many of the world's car manufacturers wouldn't have taken notice and the competitor's wouldn't have doubled their efforts to duplicate Tata's strategy.

http://imageshack.us
The basic Smart Pure model starts at under $12,000; standard equipment includes remote locking management, leather steering wheel, a 5-speed transmission, and a radio-ready console. Most metropolitan drivers will love the Smart Pure for many reasons. Such as the cars ability to park almost anywhere, its fuel savings and cost and of course its knockout looks.

Energon smart is been around for over 8 years now and surprisingly looks the same as NANO so as far as i can see its Tata thats taken it from there competitor and not the other way around.

Ratan Tata has also lived up to his promise of making the "1-lakh" car (notice he was smart enough not to commit to the duration of this price tag). As far as the safety issue is concerned, you have to look at what his target audience is. He's basically going after the people who could until recently only afford to buy two wheelers and use it as a family vehicle... compared to this yea, the Nano is certainly a whole lot safer.

Again price ''1-lakh''comes into picture because the whole thing is heavily subsidized by indian government.so in reality every indian tax payer is paying for it weather he or she likes it or not.TaTa couldnt have done it if he had to pick up the tab by himslef.but what most indians (and pakistanies 2) forget that Petrol in india (and pakistan)is heavily subsidized and indian government is losing billions cause of that.
So every time some one buys a NaNo Indian taxpayers pays for it then same person pulls into a petrol station tax payers pays for it.on top of that taxpayers will have to pay billions for the infrastructure that will be required for extra cars compare to motorcycles.
Honestly tell me would u buy one if u no its glued and plastic as far as saftey is concerned there is non in this vehicle i doubt average indian will find this out till out of showroom.

Again price ''1-lakh''comes into picture because the whole thing is heavily subsidized by indian government.so in reality every indian tax payer is paying for it weather he or she likes it or not.TaTa couldnt have done it if he had to pick up the tab by himslef.but what most indians (and pakistanies 2) forget that Petrol in india (and pakistan)is heavily subsidized and indian government is losing billions cause of that.
So every time some one buys a NaNo Indian taxpayers pays for it then same person pulls into a petrol station tax payers pays for it.on top of that taxpayers will have to pay billions for the infrastructure that will be required for extra cars compare to motorcycles.

You are dismissing the economic POV here. Governments everywhere make investments in overseas bonds & fund development activities in other countries. That money comes from the taxpayer's pockets from that country. Also, one can aswell present the argument 'What right does a government have in investing tax-payer's money in establishing a public sector company that usually runs in loss?'.

Business with private sector is usually done this way. Heavy subsidy is provided in establishing a startup. Thereafter I suppose only the power is provided at subsidized cost. Once established the company provides revenue to the government & generates thousands of jobs (in this case it would provide direct & indirect jobs to nearly 100K people). This inturn helps government in expanding its tax base & helping generate higher revenues not to mention taking care of unemployment problem. So whatever initial subsidy that government provides would be recovered in the first or second year of operation.

Honestly tell me would u buy one if u no its glued and plastic as far as saftey is concerned there is non in this vehicle i doubt average indian will find this out till out of showroom.

Energon has given a proper argument here. The car would still be safer than a two-wheeler. If one can be unconcerned about travelling with his wife & two kids on a bike then he would definately feel a whole lot safer inside the car. The target customers are those whole take volumes of risk & still travel with their family on a 2-wheeler.

C'mon guys....
Any feelings of jingoism apart, Tata Motors has created something really innovative...Wouldn't you yourself be glad to see middle/lower middle-class families in Pakistan upgrade from a unsafe two wheeler to a relatively safer car...A car that is within their budget?

Actually, currently Nano complies with Bharat Stage III emission norms and Ratan Tata said that in the future, the Nano can be MADE to comply with Euro IV emission norms.

Its not a matter of pollution, but this car would certainly be bought in huge quantities in India, and this would most definitely put immense pressure on the infrastructure on India, and would also increase the fuel consumption of India drastically.

Its upto the government to rise to the challenge and build more and more infrastructure and public transport systems. Delhi Metro is a superb example, it has made a good &#37; of traffic dissapear from the roads. Its also made Delhi much cleaner.

C'mon guys....
Any feelings of jingoism apart, Tata Motors has created something really innovative...Wouldn't you yourself be glad to see middle/lower middle-class families in Pakistan upgrade from a unsafe two wheeler to a relatively safer car...A car that is within their budget?

Capped oil prices may cost exchequer $11 billion by June 30: policy-makers brief president
ARIF RANA
ISLAMABAD (January 31 2008): The policy-makers on Wednesday informed President Pervez Musharraf that inflating oil bill was making for the government difficult to manage budgetary pressure and continuity of the current policy of capping the prices may cost the national exchequer 11 billion dollar by June 30.

Sources said the government authorities gave a detailed presentation to the President covering the oil prices in the international market, its impact on Pakistan's economy and budgetary estimates for 2007-08, demand and supply situation of gas and electricity.

If people in Pakistan can afford to pay the real price of the car and Petrol then yes i would.If government have to pay for it i much rather they subsidize mass transit then individual choice of transportation.

Any one i ask would they buy it and put there family in it THEY JUST avoid answering the question.yet they have no problem putting others in it to feel a sense of pride.:enjoy:This vehicle is plastic and metal glued together how in the hell is that safe if u mean safe from rain then yes if u mean safe in case of an accident hate to tell ya all driver knees are the front bumpers and his azz is the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom