What's new

Ukrainian AI-222-25F engine may replace Russian RD-93 in JF-17 jets

The AI-222-25F generates 41kN thrust on full after burner,while the RD-93 generates 84kN on full after burner.
RD-93 generates 51 kN dry thrust.
Replacing RD-93 with AI-222-25F with seriously under power the jet I think.

The AI-222-25F generates 41kN thrust on full after burner,while the RD-93 generates 84kN on full after burner.
RD-93 generates 51 kN dry thrust.
Replacing RD-93 with AI-222-25F with seriously under power the jet I think.
The one is on the talks is improved version and is producing 96-97 KN thrust afterburner.

The one is on the talks is improved version and is producing 96-97 KN thrust afterburner.

Oh yeah.. right...the 22K lb one.
Good development.Not many engines produce that much thrust.Endurance will be the thing to look out for.

AI-222-25F Turbofan Aero Engine with afterburner
Designed to power trainers, advanced trainers and light combat aircraft with maximum flight speed of M 1.6. The turbine compressor section of the engine is fully unified with that of the AI-222-25 basic engine. It is currently under flight tests.

AI-222-25F Main data
Parameter Parameter value
Full afterburning power SLS; ISA; σinlet = 1.0
Thrust, kgf 4200
Specific fuel consumption, kg/kgf∙h 1.9
Full afterburning power Н 11000 m; М 1.4; ISA; σinlet = 0.97
Thrust, kgf 2760
Maximum power SLS; ISA; σinlet = 1.0
Thrust, kgf 2500
Specific fuel consumption, kg/kgf∙h 0.66
Dimensions, mm:
Inlet fan diameter 624
Full diameter (afterburner) 880
Length 3070
Height 1084

Weight, dry, kg 560
Ivchenko-Progress Site. Information about AI-222 engine family

South African French-origin Mirages flew with Russian-origin engines. Atleast in Ukraine's case, the engine vendor and aircraft manufacturer would closely collaborate - for the South Africans, integrating the Russian engine was harder.

F-14s, F-15s, F-16s all have had different types of engines powering seperate fleets of these aircraft. The US has a fleet of F-16s powered with P&W F-100 engines, and another fleet powered by GE F-110. The question is whether the Ukrainian engine makes sense for Pakistan - can it deliver more performance than the WS-13A/B, what's it's reliability like, etc. Ukraine has been making reliable aero-engines for decades, but China can invest alot more money. But reliability has been a problem atleast for earlier models of Chinese WS-10 and WS-13 engines.

It would be interesting if some senior members could share info about Ukraine's contribution in RD-33's development. I remember reading that Ivchenko-Progress had collaborated with Klimov on the development of certain components. I also remember Nabil_05 also mentioning that we're already getting some RD-93 engine maintainance assistance from Ukraine.

There are two aspect:
1. If the engine is tried and tested, It will take little work (Still months of work) to redesign airframe to accomodate new engine.
2. If the Engine is in development phase, it will take years to be tried and tested.

Remember, Airworthy certification itself take many months. No machine can fly without this certificate. (This is happen in India, Russis, USA and Europe. I don know how it work in China and Pakistan)

One more thing, the data presented here is incorrect (Typing error) Coz 10 Mil USD is too much for 80+KN engine...

There are two aspect:
1. If the engine is tried and tested, It will take little work (Still months of work) to redesign airframe to accomodate new engine.
2. If the Engine is in development phase, it will take years to be tried and tested.

Remember, Airworthy certification itself take many months. No machine can fly without this certificate. (This is happen in India, Russis, USA and Europe. I don know how it work in China and Pakistan)

One more thing, the data presented here is incorrect (Typing error) Coz 10 Mil USD is too much for 80+KN engine...

Hi,

Yes they do---I have been saying it for a long time---the chinese have used engines in fighter aircraft without certification---they would certify them on the field during regular service.

Anyone noticed this? "At a price of $10 million"
I guess the addition of the Ukrainian jet engines will be a good experiment and nice addition within our military arsenal......Alhamdolillah!........:smokin:

no its 44K Lbs one.....:D

No, the current model generates about 10K lbs. They are planing to modify it into a 22K lbs class engine which can be used on JF-17. Right now the engine is too small to fit JF-17, probably they will make a new engine with 22K lbs thrust. Ultimately the experience gained would be used to make a new heavy engine in the 44K lbs class for medium-heavy fighters. You can't just magically convert a 10K lbs engine into 44K lbs one. Even the 22K lbs version would require tremendous amount of work, remember only the US has made an engine in that class with 22K lbs or more thrust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom