What's new

Typhoon MMRCA woes

The Telegraph is quoting the Indian minister that 'Britain begged India to accept its aid". Someone needs to explain to the Indian minister the concept behind "aid" money, tell him to stop acting like a hawk, & not to make a fool of himself with foolish statements like these.

The telegraph is not quoting him saying that .

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Let's not kid ourselves in the 3 poorest states in India we have millions of poor just like in Africa thats where the so called aid is needed and the Indian goverment also need to step up instead of looting and putting money in Zurich.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Buddy don't go by the comments on Daily mail most those people posting are on state handouts :D haters will hate the British people on the whole are fair people and want good relations with India.

I am talking about comments of people on the telegraph as well .

Most Indians here have no problem mocking the aid that the U.K. gives. It's one thing to say that we won't allow it to influence our decisions(as in the case of the selection of Rafale) but quite something else to rubbish the aid that is being given. That smacks of boorish behaviour at best & if the FM actually called the aid 'peanuts', it's most unfortunate. If we don't want the aid, we must refuse to take it (no matter what the persuasion), If accepted, one must always show due respect for the help given. What kind of reaction would one expect if someone called our 'assistance' peanuts & arrogantly informed the whole world that the only reason for the aid existing was because we begged them to accept it?

Last year UK had to renew its commitment for developing countries and to hammer out their international developmental budget (aid). There was a hue and cry in Britain over providing aid to India. Mr.Mukherjee in parliament was asked about it, he said India operates its own budget for development, any foreign assistance to India is peanuts relative to it, not pointing to any specific country. He said all the foreign aid combined is less than 0.4% of the GDP. He also said India would gladly renege the aid if Britain so decide. But Britain decided to extend the aid until 2015.

Okay now when you say Boorish behavior, how did you come about it? Did someone from GOI say something rude? It was Indian public reaction to arrogant British pricks who are commenting at the story. "Begged to accept it" quote was an over the top indulgence by British media. No one in their right mind would say that to a donor country. Yet no self respecting country should sit calm at the aspersions that seems to coming along with the aid.

Still that doesn't change the fact that while British people are living much much and propably still much better state than Indian people. I am not trying to bash India or anything but idea of India giving aid to Britian is laughtable at best. While your own people are living worst than avarage african person you are going to give aid to one of the most prosper nation in this planet...

:lol: Where do you get this all this BS from .

India's poverty in terms of percentage is lower than Africa ( absolute numbers dont matter as indian is more populated) and our HDI(human development index) is also higher than most african countries and even most south asian countries .

what are they teaching in turkey nowdays ? I am not trying to bash turkey or anything .

I agree with the rest of your post .

The telegraph is not quoting him saying that .

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

I am talking about comments of people on the telegraph as well .

The same article in the Telegraph is reposted in the Daily Mail lol don't go by the comments most people in UK are generous heck even Lakshmi Mittal donated £1 million just for children in need.

Let's not seem to proud we do still need help as we have millions of poor people this is a fact and until the Indian goverment do something to reduce it we can't complain.

The only thing that winds me up is this bullshit talk about India having a space program do they even know how it helps us? and generates revenue, stupid media talking out their backside

India gives U.K aid while...

U.K GPD per Capita: 39.000 US$

India GPD per Capita less than 2.000 US$

I don't know if you are a troll or just didn't know the reality... I think you were trying to be funny and I believe you did it...

GDP per capita should always be seen in PPP terms and there India is 3700 US dollars in 2011
and UK is 36000 US dollars in 2011

Just for the record .

The Telegraph is quoting the Indian minister that 'Britain begged India to accept its aid". Someone needs to explain to the Indian minister the concept behind "aid" money, tell him to stop acting like a hawk, & not to make a fool of himself with foolish statements like these.

hmm.. Where did you see that particular quote? I tried reading the news multiple times but all I could find is as stated below

“We do not require the aid,” he said, according to the official transcript of the session.

“It is a peanut in our total development exercises [expenditure].” He said the Indian government wanted to “voluntarily” give it up.

Now, don't try to put the non sense published in the paper into Minister's mouth. Pranab Mukherjee is a diplomat and know what to say what not to? He is not some sensationalist News reporter to have said some thing as idiotic as you claim him to have said.

All I can see is, in the past few days - we have taken this Aid debate to the heights of stupidity..

That is true, but despite that India still has far more poverty. I don't see why some of you don't want the aid. Although developing you still have a long way to go. I certainly don't mind paying for it.
Well its one thing to give aid, and another to try and subvert India's weapon procurement policy.
Why do you call it charity then, you should call it investment or "miscellaneous" expenditure(if you dont want to call it bribe).

I hope british people donate money to non govt charity which comes to India without strings attached, and gets its job done. But British govt aid seems to be bad for both british tax payers and Indian poor.

GDP per capita should always be seen in PPP terms and there India is 3700 US dollars in 2011
and UK is 36000 US dollars in 2011

Just for the record .

right...and on top of that, Indian middle class are very good in handling their finances..they remain down to earth and prefer to cook their own food and avoid unwanted expenses ...average indian has tendancy to save at least 10% of its net income unlike western counterparts who spen 10% + their income.....even with tenth of UK Per Capita, Indians can save more than any Brit is saving......On record, I love UK.

Well if the Indians don't want the money, I'll gladly take it off their hands.

Sure, I "beg" you to do that, and with it please take your arrogance and false pride with you, it's much more funny and idiotic than your so-called aid :rofl:

By Tristan Stewart-Robertson (Feb 5, 2012)

The BBC’s Question Time programme is frequently like an unruly rabble of children arguing in front of a cheering mob.
Thursday night, one of the questions posed on the show was why international aid should be paid to India when India is spending it’s own money on fighter jets.

Both the Tories and opposition Labour agreed Britain should continue to help the world’s poorest, but they weren’t hitting the public mood.

This started when a member of the audience asked the question: “Why does India need all our foreign aid when it’s got several billion pounds to spend on French fighter jets?”

The $15bn Rafale aircraft deal has struck a nerve with the British public — not for the first time — about why India needs help.
Alan Duncan, Conservative MP and international development minister, gave a very forceful defence.

He said: “India is the most difficult country to decide whether we give aid for that reason. I think we’re right to be spending the money we’re spending. They’re on the way up — yes they have some billionaires, yes they have defensive weapons. If you take the three poorest states, there are more of the poorest people there than you have in the whole of subsaharan Africa. You can ignore them if you want because they have a nuclear weapon and want to buy some fighter jets.”

“If you ignore them, the world is never ever going to get anywhere near meeting the Millennium Development Goals. It would mean that hundreds of thousands — if not millions — of people will die who could otherwise live on the back of vaccinations and food. We do not link aid to trade.”

“We want countries to be able to live by their own means. In due course we will come out of India because it is on an upward path and we should be very pleased that that’s the trajectory they’re on.”

That set off Emma Boon, campaign director of the Taxpayers’ Alliance, a right-wing “rent-a-quote” organisation used by media in the UK whenever they need someone to question public spending and previously praised by the Tea Party group in the US. I’ve used them myself for quick and easy quotes — check this page to see how easy it is to generate a quote.

But she knows the public mood.

To enthusiastic applause, she said: “The government in India is making the choice to spend money on a space programme, on fighter jets, when the Indian government could make a choice to spend its money on its own people. Why are we paying?”

Labour MP Sidiq Khan replied that the UK is a “just, generous and fair society” and lives were being saved. But, “Of course it would be far better if the Indian government was saving these lives, but they’re not. In the meantime, children are dying.”

The loudest applause and even cheers at one point came for former CBI director and now House of Lords member Digby Jones when he talked about “fairness”.

“YOU,” pointing to the audience, “are paying Bernie Ecclestone to have a grand prix in Delhi.” ”All this money sent abroad when they need help — who’s going to help us?” asked a woman in the audience, to which a young man replied, “You mean when we need help paying our Sky TV bill?”

As I said, Question Time descends into bitter arguments every week, but this one was surprisingly hostile towards foreign aid, despite ever increasing numbers of donations by the British public when there are natural disasters or celebrity TV appeals such as Comic Relief.

When times are tough, you see countries pull apart more and incredible excuses for selfishness and even more corruption as everyone scraps over the crumbs.

Those in the right are in their element at the moment, as governments and opposition movements hit out at all spending, frequently to the benefit of their own business connections. Fiscal responsibility is a good thing, but when it drifts into an almost isolationist and libertarian “ignore everybody else”, you get problems.

Aid is not perfect — in fact, it’s deeply flawed and Dambisa Moyo rightly pointed out in the book Dead Aid that many countries have become trapped by developmental aid. However, that is not an excuse to say we ignore those worse off than ourselves. The UK ignores its own elderly neighbours, sometimes for years, so it’s open for debate whether we can lecture anyone about prioritising those in need, particularly compared to war machines.

Britain’s politicians last night had to defend giving aid to India to the British public, and they didn’t really win, based on the audience of Question Time. India though could, perhaps, do a better job explaining how the aid is helping, or offer more effective alternatives.

The one undeniable fact is that there are still millions of people living in poverty. As yet, neither UK aid, nor Indian fighter jets, have managed to solve that Problem.

Has the British public turned against India? | Firstpost

Who cares?

Still that doesn't change the fact that while British people are living much much and propably still much better state than Indian people. I am not trying to bash India or anything but idea of India giving aid to Britian is laughtable at best. While your own people are living worst than avarage african person you are going to give aid to one of the most prosper nation in this planet...

It may not be aid per say but some financial assistance. Like when UK and other EU countries beg China for such assistance. To some extent India as well. And you do know China's per capita income is no where close to EU countriesright. You never know how tables turn.

Sure, I "beg" you to do that, and with it please take your arrogance and false pride with you, it's much more funny and idiotic than your so-called aid :rofl:
Okay, that was kind of a joke, but oh well. Besides what was arrogant about that?? Oh wait, you are generalizing the entire UK population.
Way to go man!
PS Speaking of arrogance, your location 'the superpower'?

Okay, that was kind of a joke, but oh well. Besides what was arrogant about that?? Oh wait, you are generalizing the entire UK population.
Way to go man!
PS Speaking of arrogance, your location 'the superpower'?

Jamie, do you follow the logic that India should have selected typhoon because UK gives more aid than french.
I cant understand how it is not bribery.

Well its one thing to give aid, and another to try and subvert India's weapon procurement policy.
Why do you call it charity then, you should call it investment or "miscellaneous" expenditure(if you dont want to call it bribe).

I hope british people donate money to non govt charity which comes to India without strings attached, and gets its job done. But British govt aid seems to be bad for both british tax payers and Indian poor.

Why is it bad for India's poor when the fund is not given in cash and does come with strings attached

Jamie, do you follow the logic that India should have selected typhoon because UK gives more aid than french.
I cant understand how it is not bribery.
Yes, yes it is bribery and I said that tied aid is illegal and wrong. The jets should be selected on merit alone. But generalizing all Brits as being arrogant, simply because our government was is silly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom