What's new

Type 23 maybe

Al Shaheen

New Recruit

Reaction score
Last week, the new British Defence Attache met with the Pakistan Navy CNO, they discussed the possible sale of current RN assets to the Pakistan Navy.

The UK offer here - two Type 23 'Duke Class' FFGHM. One of NATO's most formidable anti-submarine vessels.

But any such capability will come at a cost.

And wat is the source & proof of this news?

Type-23 deal should be only executed under only one circumstances if god forbids PN does not receives OHP at all and i think PN is only negotiating this deal as a back up...

In my opinion pakistan must go for these ships, they are not very old and britishers never make false claims.

PN must acquire a couple no matter OHP comes or not...

The highest number of Type 23 in service with the Royal Navy at any given point was 16. The first three of these have been sold and are now in Chilean service, together with a Type 22 (more of which have found their way into the Brazilian [4] and Romanian service [2], while 2 have been sunk as targets and 1 has been sold for scrapping ). This leaves 13 Type 23 in service in RN today. The Type 23s make up about half the RN's frigate and destroyer strength today. In addition, there are 4 Type 22 frigates, 6 Type 42 destroyers and 1 Type 45 destroyer.

The “Future Surface Combatant” program is supposed to build up to 18 “modular” ships optimized for Anti-Submarine Warfare, land attack and patrolling, with the first ship to join the fleet around 2019. That’s four years after the Type 22s begin retiring (2015). Type 23s pay off starting in 2019.

Surface Fleet : Operations and Support : Royal Navy
War Is Boring

I seriously doubt any possibility of Type 23 to PN before 2019. But the last 4 Type 22s may also be an interesting option for PN.

Last edited:
i guess it wont be adviceable to go for maore and more of old retired ships. even the OHP was not a great procurement but is good enough when considered as stop gaps, now in addition to these retired shoips getting more wont be a wise decesion!

regards!

no matter what pn needs lots of ships and im sure we will have a war in near future with indian or america

no matter what pn needs lots of ships and im sure we will have a war in near future with indian or america

but sir i think it is not only about quantity, i mean we can not face either of them with lots of OHPs and type 23. PN surely require some state of the art vessels. what do you say?

i guess it wont be adviceable to go for maore and more of old retired ships. even the OHP was not a great procurement but is good enough when considered as stop gaps, now in addition to these retired shoips getting more wont be a wise decesion!

regards!

There is a lot of difference between a “wish” and what is actually feasible. Even old ship is useful when the alternative is ‘No ship’ at all. Britain begged for 50 of the oldest destroyers from the US during WW2 to counter U2 threat to the British supply convoys. Their induction into the Royal Navy changed the course of the war.

Besides, as long as ‘Hull’ is good condition, a warship can be modernized to match state of the art capability. US FRAM program modernized mainly 50’s vessels. (PN Gearing Class ships were built towards late 40’s). Even WW2 battle ship were de-mothballed and activated during the height of cold war.

Most vessels are retired because their operating cost becomes too much for the NATO nations where manpower cost alone is nearly 5 times of the PN. Let us not forget that PN is still making do with Type 21 vessels of Falkland war vintage for the last 20 years. I am convinced OHP after modernization to PN requirements would prove to be more capable warships than new Chinese vessels.

Don’t think Type 23 will be available. Even Type 22 (Broadsword class) is a very capable war ship. With 5,300 displacement it can be converted to a better broad based weapon’s platform than the much smaller new built F-22Ps and would probably serve as long.

Type 23 if availble would be Great.

A light anti-submarine frigate with a primary role to meet the nuclear submarine threat in the North Atlantic

The ships carry a towed array sonar to detect submarines in the North Atlantic and carry a Westland Lynx or EHI Merlin helicopter to attack them.

Type 23 'Duke Class' FFGHM

EHI Merlin

a4c92eaf41fd56604528fc8a296651a4.jpg

Westland Lynx

fcbabfd06208b985d0935b854d8b89cb.jpg

automated point-defence weapon system Sea Wolf

f3fd0b32ab8ecea78d447bd673b59f44.png

:cheers: I did not get any links guys but got some pics

Last edited:
but sir i think it is not only about quantity, i mean we can not face either of them with lots of OHPs and type 23. PN surely require some state of the art vessels. what do you say?

An old Type 23, and possibly even an old Type 22 will still be a better ship than ANY ship the PN has owned or currently owns (including the F22P) . I dare say something similar about the OHP, were it not that it as yet remains unclear what will happen with the Mk13 launcher in unit(s) when they are transferred to PN (i.e. remain deactivated or reinstated to functional condition > the difference between no or yes a functional SAM and SSM).

The “Future Surface Combatant” program is supposed to build up to 18 “modular” ships optimized for Anti-Submarine Warfare, land attack and patrolling, with the first ship to join the fleet around 2019. That’s four years after the Type 22s begin retiring (2015). Type 23s pay off starting in 2019.

UK want funds to support the new ships and this is a good way for them to geenrate funds.

This should be only back up plan and I hope that we are looking at other options as well.

Back
Top Bottom