What's new

TYPE 214 SUB VS AMUR 1650 SUB A Layman's analysis

PLZ read the article before polling

• Total voters
see if there is a competetion between AMUR & type 214 then i may have a 2nd thought about AMUR but when u have TYPE 216
sub then defintely u should go for a better platform as it fulffills all needs of indian navy .

well TYPE 216 sub can also be armed with brahmos & it also has VLS capabilty

one of the major reason for not favouring EuroFighter is we dont want to fund their reaserch & prove their product at our cost.
TYPE 216 may be good, but its still in reserch stage. all the modifications are not proven.

on the otherhand Amur is a proven platform.

Well India Wants 3 Sub Sqn's ,
1st : Russian Sub Sqd (East)
2nd European Sub Sqd (West)
3rd : Nuclear Sub Sqd (both)

S1000 is just a mature concept and the nuts and bolts of the plan are not even finalized yet.

in that case we should do a joint development of the type 216 and give our defense industry submarine development experience so in the future we can create indigenous submarines.

It's hard to compare submarines, as the sound levels and magnetic distortion are all classified. However, I would go with the Amur simply because the Russians will be more flexible when dealing with India. But in general I'm a pretty big supporter of buying Russian equipment when importing, though I prefer joint ventures to simple imports.

Imagine if we entered into a joint venture with Russia to design an upgraded Amur specifically for Indian needs.

It's hard to compare submarines, as the sound levels and magnetic distortion are all classified. However, I would go with the Amur simply because the Russians will be more flexible when dealing with India. But in general I'm a pretty big supporter of buying Russian equipment when importing, though I prefer joint ventures to simple imports.

Imagine if we entered into a joint venture with Russia to design an upgraded Amur specifically for Indian needs.

Joint venture with zero inputs from our side == FAIL !!

Go back and read my post again. Point out where I advocated zero inputs from our side.

It was not directed at any person per se. I was actually talking of how slow our Naval Yards have been to absorb the know hows gained from ToTs. The glaring example would be the scorpene subs.

I was actually skeptical about the level of knowledge inputs which India/DRDO can actually infuse to come up with a different sub al-together.

eg. S1000 was developed by Italy and Russia and it seems to pack quite a punch. Are we confident and talented enough to come up such a sub in such a short time ?

I highly doubt it.

Which one is offered in Project 75I ?? 214 or 216

&

It is reported that the contenders are the U214, Amur and Scorpene class mainly. The S80 and S1000 were speculated sometimes too, but the earlier 3 will have the biggest chances.
well actually type 214 was the german contender but INDIAN navy wanted to have vertical launching system as an important
criteria for project 75 I so germany decided to build type 216 with VLS capabilty :coffee:

one of the major reason for not favouring EuroFighter is we dont want to fund their reaserch & prove their product at our cost.
TYPE 216 may be good, but its still in reserch stage. all the modifications are not proven.

on the otherhand Amur is a proven platform.
lol ,but buddy as ur citing the example of eurofighter in relation to type 214 ,but the irony despite all that u said EF typhoon has made many foriegn exports while rafale which has been a combat proven platform had not made a single export customer .
But TYPE 216 is derived from type 214 & 212 & AMUR 1650 is not a combat proven as it has not been ordered by anycountry but project 677 lada has been built for russian navy only & AMUR 1650 is an export version of Project 677 lada class subs :agree:

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

in that case we should do a joint development of the type 216 and give our defense industry submarine development experience so in the future we can create indigenous submarines.
hmm good idea type 216 has some advanced & cutting edge futuristic technology like 3rd gen AIP systems

Type-214 does not seem to be a very successful design..It has its own share of problems.. While AMUR also has some hurdles to overcome..
U-216 is still a concept.. Very murky situation it is...

A stretched Scorpene with Indian AIP would be the cheapest solution but Navy people know best..

Type-214 does not seem to be a very successful design..It has its own share of problems.. While AMUR also has some hurdles to overcome..
U-216 is still a concept.. Very murky situation it is...

A stretched Scorpene with Indian AIP would be the cheapest solution but Navy people know best..

can we fit AMUR with french/German AIP? with Russian permission?

can we fit AMUR with french/German AIP? with Russian permission?

IN has already rejected MESMA.. German solution seems a better one. But i would give DRDO couple of years to come up with their own solution..Land based prototype is being tested..

Back
Top Bottom