What's new

Two more drone attacks in Pakistan kill 9 people

Maghrebi

Reaction score
Two non-UN-sanctioned US drone attacks on Pakistan's North Waziristan region have killed at least nine people and wounded several others.

Security officials say the drone fired two missiles on suspected militant compounds along the Afghan border. One missile hit the town of Mohammad Khel while the other targeted Datta Khel.

The death toll is expected to rise as some of the injured are reportedly in critical condition.

The US has intensified its drone attacks on Pakistan's tribal areas in recent months. Some 160 people, most of them civilians, have been killed in such strikes since September.

Islamabad has slammed the unauthorized attacks on its soil with Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit saying, "We believe that they are counter-productive and also a violation of our sovereignty."

Senior political and military officials in Islamabad have called on Washington to reconsider its policy.

This is while the supply route of NATO forces based in Afghanistan remains closed for the ninth consecutive day forcing hundreds of trucks and oil tankers to remain parked in different parts of Pakistan's tribal regions.

Islamabad blocked the NATO supply route after the US-led military alliance launched a series of airstrikes on Pakistan's tribal regions.

JR/HGH/MMN

PressTV - Unauthorized US attacks kill 9 in Pakistan

I have a few questions for fellow Pakistani members alone.

What is the general consensus (if there is one) in Pakistan on such drone attacks within Pakistani borders? Also, is there a present element amongst the population which supports them, even if the support is covert? What is the response of Pakistan's current government, the opposition and the armed forces in reaction of such drone attacks?

Furthermore, recently I was having a long discussion with some of my Pakistani friends on this issue. They were convinced that most, if not all, such attacks were being conducted covertly from within Pakistan (they specifically mentioned Pakistan Air Force installations in Baluchestan) with the facilitation of the present government. They also stated that they believed the state was receiving some undisclosed benefits for the use of it's facilities. For the sake of clarity, I'll add that they were all very non-supportive of President Zardari, to which they attributed other charges as well. They had mixed views on the issue in general, ranging from complete outrage by some to others being unpleased about the preciseness of the targeting but justifying them in other ways. What are the views of Pakistani forum members on the above view?

Back
Top Bottom