What's new

Turks still love Pakistan

That's until Pakistani politicians start visiting and demanding kebab :P

I was in Turkey recently and after seeing the news last year about Pakistanis doing all these weird and illegal things in Turkey and social media/TV campaigns against Pakistanis, I didn’t know what to expect. I was even afraid of some racism.

It was an isolated series of incidents. Those men were dealt with accordingly. At least two of them were suspected of being affiliated with sex trafficking activities and were prosecuted by Pakistani federal authorities.

That whole thing was a mistake also on the part of Turkey's tourism ministry. All these cheap tourism packages to rural backwater town people afforded them to travel to Turkey and cause mischief.

The other thing you need to know is that a segment of Turkish society disliked Pakistanis even before these incidents.

I even knew one in person myself. Not to mention I encountered a small number of them online.

They're your Turkish version of Iranian monarchists. Typical European/North American worship and a desire to gain acceptance amongst them.

Nothing wrong with disliking Pakistanis, but the turk I knew lied inside out. He taunted me endlessly about Islamic fundamentalism and radicalization. His are the type of genocide deniers and other deniers.

Then there's also Pakistani salafis who make things problematic by imposing their mullah culture on Turks calling this whole relationship an "Ummah."

The whole dynamics have numerous factors in them. But I find most Turks easy to get on with. Either way, don't be too reliant on gaining respect from foreigners.

Not that you shouldn't be nice and respectful, but be prepared for disappointment. We live in a dangerous complex world and social dynamics are complex and striking a balance is sometimes a tricky job.

Back in 2012, people knew Jeevay Pakistan.

Barring the western wannabes and the people of Turkey are very hospitable and kind.

Kind of surprised English isn't more common now though, seems everyone in Istanbul knew it in 2018.

The one I knew wasn't a Western wannabe at all and criticized them but was a total Pakistani hater. In fact he criticized his own people for sucking up to Europeans, particularly Finns & Hungarians, whom many Turks suck up to.

But at the same time he held most of their beliefs, because he was clearly indoctrinated by the ruling classes propaganda policies, even though he himself criticized them.

He was probably the nastiest Turk I ever came across.

Back
Top Bottom