What's new

Turkmenistan offers Pakistan 1000 MW of electricity

sunny001

BANNED
Reaction score

Thursday, August 26, 2010 - Turkmenistan offered on Wednesday to provide Pakistan with 1000 megawatts of electricity to help Pakistan overcome its power shortages, the Pakistani Express Tribune reported on Thursday.

The offer came on the second day of the two-day second meeting of the intergovernmental Turkmen-Pakistani commission in Islamabad, during which Pakistan’s Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani conducted negotiations with Turkmen Foreign Minister Rashid Meredov.

Turkmenistan is devising a humanitarian aid package to help Pakistan recover from debilitating floods, and will announce the package when he returns to Ashgabat, Meredov said.

During the diplomatic meeting, Gilani gave his support to the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) pipeline and pushed for early completion of the project. The implementation of this project would allow Pakistan to overcome its chronic energy shortages, Gilani added.

Several issues concerning the pipeline need to be resolved quickly, the prime minister said. Financing and a steady supply of gas must be guaranteed. The Afghan security situation also needs to be resolved.

In this vein, Gilani also agreed to attend the December summit meeting of the TAPI project.

The two sides agreed to expand ties in oil and gas, energy, infrastructure, science, technology and education, Pakistan’s Daily Times reported on Thursday.

In addition to the Pakistani Prime Minister and Turkmen Foreign Minister, the Pakistani Ministers for Petroleum and Natural Resources and Foreign Affairs and Turkmenistan’s Ambassador to Pakistan also attended the meeting.

Tajikistan and Iran have also offered 1,000 MW each to Pakistan. I don't know why the officials in Islamabad do not act on these offers. I think we should have load shedding and blackout in Islamabad more often to get these officials to notice misery of people in other parts of Pakistan.

The officials also have to look at prices, security and other options before signing an agreement..It's a long process and then there is red tape.Right now i don't think Electricity is on top of the priorities as we have plenty of it due to floods which have put a lot of areas in dark so we need electricity right now but money to be spent on reconstruction.

All of this requires a neutral Afghanistan and a Afghanistan that is a territorially whole - something a lot of people, in particular a certain ethnic group inside Afghanistan, and a so called Super power and power to the East of Pakistan, seem to not be compleletly onboard with.

The officials also have to look at prices, security and other options before signing an agreement..It's a long process and then there is red tape.Right now i don't think Electricity is on top of the priorities as we have plenty of it due to floods which have put a lot of areas in dark so we need electricity right now but money to be spent on reconstruction.

I guess the electricity for Islamabad is very cheap so it is supplied 24 hours a day while it will be expensive for other parts of the country. May be we should cut electricity for Islamabad for 12 hours a day to save the money and use it for reconstruction of flood effected areas.

now after the flooding........... our electricity demands are going to decrease drastically......... many houses that used to light their houses day n night will not be able to use electricity for a couple of years :cry:

They will need to find another accommodation before using these resources once again :cry: - water just destroyed everything for many Pakistanis and its impact will be apparent on the electricity too :cry:

It was first thought of even in the early 90s and in 2005 considered again. Afghanistan being a problem besides the fact that connecting it to the national grid and importing it through rough territory is costly. Much better to import from Iran, or dare I say, India. We import 40-100MW from Iran already (peak being 100MW).

This is better than the stupid rental power projects we are working on. Only if the stupid PPP gov really cares about the country

I hope this offer does go through, but I cant see it happening as long as PPP corrupt government is in power it is not in their interest because there will be no kickbacks as they are doing right now.

now after the flooding........... our electricity demands are going to decrease drastically......... many houses that used to light their houses day n night will not be able to use electricity for a couple of years :cry:

They will need to find another accommodation before using these resources once again :cry: - water just destroyed everything for many Pakistanis and its impact will be apparent on the electricity too :cry:

I am really saddened by the plight of those people affected by the floods..When I see the news on news channels here, the people are left with nothing.
Well dear Zaki, have confidence in God.
Both of our nations might be the biggest enemies, and there is no doubt about it, but the irony is we care for each others people.
India and Pakistan wars are one example where there were attempts to keep the civilian casualties to zero. As a matter of fact the wars for the common man was like a cricket match on the radio.

Unrealistic ..transmission lines will have to laid across then entire breadth of Afghanistan(500 km)..and couple of hundred kilometers inside Pakistan to reach a main city transformer.

Besides since it will be passing through Afghanistan(which has vast number law less areas ..any body can put a kundi over the wires... route it through a step down transformer ..and the whole town can enjoy free electricity...well pakistan will be paying for it.(ie line losses will be very high)

Underground transmissions cable will make the project uneconomical..since Pakistan is only buying 1000MW.

besides even if started today the whole project will take at least 4-5yr to complete

Last edited:
...any body can put a kundi over the wires... route it through a step down transformer ..and the whole town can enjoy free electricity...well pakistan will be paying for it

It's not only the poor in Afghanistan and Pakistan but the rich and the famous in Pakistan that steal electricity. The electricity meters can picked so that it registers no electricity usage. The rich neighborhoods in Karachi only have their meter on for a week then enjoy three weeks of free electricity meanwhile the honest consumers pay huge bills. I have seen people who pray five times a day, fast in Ramadan may have performed Umra/Haj stealing electricity without any qualms.

All of this requires a neutral Afghanistan and a Afghanistan that is a territorially whole - something a lot of people, in particular a certain ethnic group inside Afghanistan, and a so called Super power and power to the East of Pakistan, seem to not be compleletly onboard with.

Please explain the bolded part.

This ain't gonna happen untill we have morons like Mr. 10% in Pak Govt.. :hitwall:

It's not only the poor in Afghanistan and Pakistan but the rich and the famous in Pakistan that steal electricity. The electricity meters can picked so that it registers no electricity usage. The rich neighborhoods in Karachi only have their meter on for a week then enjoy three weeks of free electricity meanwhile the honest consumers pay huge bills. I have seen people who pray five times a day, fast in Ramadan may have performed Umra/Haj stealing electricity without any qualms.

I agree with you...rich ppl do try to do ghapla with their meter readings or have multiple meters installed... but from a personal experience I know even poor enjoy the benefit of free electricity (at govt expense)...they don't have any meters installed ..they directly hook a line to the overhead transmissions cables(also known as kundi) and have TV, fridge etc running on it in their kachha houses.

Besides problem with power lines running through a foreign territory is ..you will no monitoring or controlling facility ..in Karachi if some is steeling electricity then KESC or your govt(if willing ) can stop it..but that option will not be available to you in Afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom