What's new

Turkish Engine Programs

It would be nice to add up this story ,following turkey's aircraft manufacture center's fate ;
Pendik -Sulzer marine engine industry
story begins with 8 5500 DWT commercial's ships tender , winner was Camialtı shipyard , where is a state owned shipyard located in golden horn.
The Person who went to poland for negotiate with Sulzer company had thoughts " why not we assemble engines in turkey at least " ,and he gave a try by mentioning about this to sulzer , they were in shock since never expected turkey would ask something such , when they focused back to negoatiation the answer was "surely no" ,and our negotiator a little threated by getting 2nd supplier instead of them , so even sulzer havent willed to do , they established a marine engine assemble center in pendik shipyard ( currently owned by navy ) .
the deal was began , so turkey kept insisting some more matters, a test center in assemble center , Training of engineers and technicians ,also production of some parts in turkey . As its reported when productions were going ahead local contrubition was about %40
afterward , more ships requested from shipyard ,and Sulzer and Pendik shipyard dealed on extending facility , assembling and production of machinery parts for 75000 DWT and 26500 DWT commercial vessels.
As it was , the end was near after 99's eartquake , shipyard handed over to navy , assemble center converted into repair facility, half blocks and piston heads many parts stayed at a corner and just rottened . ( anyone who might want to see, can take a look in cami altı shipyard ,currently given to tender for reconstruction , a huge hotel complex would be built there )

sourceALİ CAN-Pendik-Sulzer Motor Fabrikası'nın Hikayesi |DenizHaber
reported by 1st person who had all negotiations that mentioned in article Ali Can.

This is my part that i heard from techinican take a place in manufacture of first diesel engines , He just told the technology in there was so advanced compared to era, many equipments brought from japan and other countries high precision CNC and auto weldings, and even there were some willings to do a indigeneous engine . He told even it began under licence of sulzer ,each year local contribution was increasing

The fate was so similar with Devrim arabaları , Turkish Aeronautical Association Etimesgut aircraft assemble center.

I'm guessing the Karevi engines will in use right? It also useful as Gas turbine engines for future naval vessels..

Kaveri spin off(without afterburner) will be used in future UCAV platforms like Aura n yes another Kaveri spin off will be used to power Rajput Class destroyer in th Indian Navy. However, most UAVs don't require such high thrust. Therefore, we r also developing various smaller engines like Nishant UAV uses a 65hp indigenous engine n many more higher power engines r in pipeline.

Although currently most Indian UAV platforms r in development phase n r using foreign engines.

Which engines does Turkey uses in his drones??

Let's talk about ANKA since it is our only MALE UAV.

ANKA uses Thielert Centurion 2.0 turbocharged four-cylinder engine, 155 hp

701px-Centurion20.jpg

Thielert Centurion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But there are efforts to make our indigenous motor for ANKA.

TEI TO Develop New Engine For Anka Contrat Signed With SSM

New engine will be:

230 kg in weight. 165 hp, will work with diese or JP-8 Jet fuel

ANKA TEI'nin motoruyla uçacak

So the catch here is, it won't be a 100% indigenous engine but i will be a modification of an existing engine. Like Thielert uses Mercedes engines.

But with the completion of National Powerpack Development Project , we may produce the engine itself.

Which engine does Turkey uses in its Altay tank??

You mean a turkish-japanese engine, right?

See post #2

There are 3 Bidders (All Turkish) in the RFP process.

I think, it's certain that all bidders will have foreign partners for the project. A Japanese partner is a high possibility. (I'm thinking of Japanese, Korean and German companies as possible partners.)

I heard that Mitsubishi was chosen as partner for the Altay engine.
They are negotiating right now about providing the motor. The decision was supposed to either made or discussed in detail at the canceled meeting.I dont know when the next meeting is. @Bismarck

Last edited:
Keep calm. Next meeting will follow.

Mate, seems like Japanese cooperation regarding engine development project is out of option (as for now).

"Ana kriterimiz motorun ve güç paketinin fikri mülkiyet haklarının Türkiye'ye ait olması ve bu ürünün Türk ürünü olabilmesi. Altay tankımız Kara Kuvvetlerinin envanterine girdikten sonra başka ülkelerin de ilgisini çekecek. İhracı gündeme geldiğinde de motordan dolayı herhangi bir kısıtlamayla karşı karşıya kalmak istemiyoruz. Ana kriter budur. Buna yönelik de iki Türk firmamızdan teklifler var. Bu çalışmamız devam ederken Japonya'nın hükümetlerarası olarak gündeme getirmesiyle, bir işbirliği fırsatı olarak bunu değerlendirdik. Bu konuyu şimdilik gündemimizin dışına almayı ve başka işbirliği fırsatları üzerinde çalışmayı kararlaştırdık."

Türkiye, Airbus A400M uçaklarının teslimatı ile ilgili yaşanan krize cevap verdi - En Son Savunma Sanayi Haberleri - HTEkonomi

Mate, seems like Japanese cooperation regarding engine development project is out of option (as for now).

"Ana kriterimiz motorun ve güç paketinin fikri mülkiyet haklarının Türkiye'ye ait olması ve bu ürünün Türk ürünü olabilmesi. Altay tankımız Kara Kuvvetlerinin envanterine girdikten sonra başka ülkelerin de ilgisini çekecek. İhracı gündeme geldiğinde de motordan dolayı herhangi bir kısıtlamayla karşı karşıya kalmak istemiyoruz. Ana kriter budur. Buna yönelik de iki Türk firmamızdan teklifler var. Bu çalışmamız devam ederken Japonya'nın hükümetlerarası olarak gündeme getirmesiyle, bir işbirliği fırsatı olarak bunu değerlendirdik. Bu konuyu şimdilik gündemimizin dışına almayı ve başka işbirliği fırsatları üzerinde çalışmayı kararlaştırdık."

Türkiye, Airbus A400M uçaklarının teslimatı ile ilgili yaşanan krize cevap verdi - En Son Savunma Sanayi Haberleri - HTEkonomi
1392491227623.jpg

Back
Top Bottom