What's new

Turkish constitutional referendum 2017 - News, Update & Discussion

Another interesting fact:

If the No camp wins it's due to the opposition of radical Jihadi groups like Milli Görüs against Erdoğan.

Turkey is a strange country.

Nope UAE is not meritocracy it's the Good EXEMPLE OF LEADERSHIP.
A Leader with a sane- and intelligent view for his country... :) YOu can check his grades if you want :)
I didn't say the UAE. I said Dubai.

Dubai appoints the right people for the right job. That's an example of meritocracy. They reward people who do well and penalize those who don't do well.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Gulf is filled with nepotism and, in Kuwait's case, elections that always bring the wrong people to power.

I didn't say the UAE. I said Dubai.

Dubai appoints the right people for the right job. That's an example of meritocracy. They reward people who do well and penalize those who don't do well.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Gulf is filled with nepotism and, in Kuwait's case, elections that always bring the wrong people to power.

Look and who is putting those in place?? Who is taking THAT decision? :)

52.86% Yes
47.14% NO

86.25% of all votes

ILKHA

50.7% Yes
49.3% No

BBC Turkey

interesting as a penalty shut out :thinktank:

Look and who is putting those in place?? Who is taking THAT decision? :)
I know what you're saying, but now it's highly institutionalized. There are many laws in Dubai that reward hard-workers.

Let me give you an example of Kuwait. In Kuwait, we have elections for almost everything. The head of the football federation is elected, the heads of local councils are elected, the heads of local municipalities are elected, etc. And yet, they're all rubbish. People don't vote for the right person. People vote for their tribe, their sect, their family, their friends, etc. And that's one of the many reasons why Kuwait lags behind other Gulf states, despite having elections.

In Dubai, there are no elections. There are committees that appoint people, and there are criteria that they must stick to when making their appointments. In Dubai, meritocracy started with the leader, but now it's institutionalized and part of the "system" and legal framework. It slowly became like Singapore and other parts of the Far East. So you almost always get the right people for the right job. Of course that doesn't guarantee success, but it makes the chances of success very, very high.

So which one is better in your opinion? Dubai's meritocratic model or Kuwait's useless elections?

So I'm not really gonna lose sleep over democracy. I prefer meritocracy. If Turkey loses its democracy and becomes a meritocracy, then it'll succeed in the region. But if Turkey loses its democracy and becomes another Arab-style authoritarian state with nepotism and high levels of corruption, then Turkey's doomed.

Looks like it is going to be a really close result... Damn it I can't wait them to count all votes.

I know what you're saying, but now it's highly institutionalized. There are many laws in Dubai that reward hard-workers.

Let me give you an example of Kuwait. In Kuwait, we have elections for almost everything. The head of the football federation is elected, the heads of local councils are elected, the heads of local municipalities are elected, etc. And yet, they're all rubbish. People don't vote for the right person. People vote for their tribe, their sect, their family, their friends, etc. And that's one of the many reasons why Kuwait lags behind other Gulf states, despite having elections.

In Dubai, there are no elections. There are committees that appoint people, and there are criterion that they must stick to when making their appointments. In Dubai, meritocracy started with the leader, but now it's institutionalized and part of the "system" and legal framework. It slowly became like Singapore and other parts of the Far East. So you almost always get the right people for the right job. Of course that doesn't guarantee success, but it makes the chances of success very, very high.

So which one is better in your opinion? Dubai's meritocratic model or Kuwait's useless elections?

So I'm not really gonna lose sleep over democracy. I prefer meritocracy. If Turkey loses its democracy and becomes a meritocracy, then it'll succeed in the region. But if Turkey loses its democracy and becomes another Arab-style authoritarian state with nepotism and high levels of corruption, then Turkey's doomed.

But you have to understand that Meritocracy is not a way to GOvern a society/population... it's a Sys based on Corporations/business...
Meritocracy under a Gov sys is interesting and a must have... but it's not a way to gov...

So I am not against Meritocracy... but what I am against is your view of putting Meritocracy AGAINST Democracy/Dictatorship/etc... Like both of them could be equal in their core.

Democracy with Meritocracy as follow line - YES
But Meritocracy sys UPON Democracy sys -NO

wow the results will be very close
right now % 93
yes :%52
no:% 48

60% of Turks in Germany voting "Yes". Live in a free democracy and mark the end of democracy in their home. Crazy? Funny?
This was going to happen after how Europe reacted to visiting Turkish leaders

Back
Top Bottom