What's new

Turkish Aviation Programs

Work on Pakistani Electronic warfare test and training range (Havelsan Ehtes) finished.
Contract for I qoute "Military Enterprise Information System-Battle Management (MEIS-BM)" signed with Pak government for PAF

Source: Havelsan Magazine.

Last edited:
Work on Pakistani Electronic warfare test and training range (Havelsan Ehtes) finished.
Contract for I qoute "Military Enterprise Information System-Battle Management (MEIS-BM)" signed with Pak government for PAF

Source: Havelsan Magazine.
Is MEIS-BM based on Turkish Electronic Warfare Test and Training Range (EWTTR)??
any details?

Turkey could join Korea’s fighter plan

By Jung Sung-ki

GYEONGJU, North Gyeongsang Province ― Turkey has shown a strong interest in joining Korea’s KF-X fighter development plan, after having already won investment from Indonesia, a chief of the military's aircraft programs said.

Maj. Gen. Choi Cha-kyu, director general of the aircraft program bureau at the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA), said during a forum here Tuesday that Ankara is seriously considering participating in the KF-X program to replace its 180 older F-16 aircraft by 2020.

“Turkey’s air force operates about 180 F-16 aircraft, and there will be a requirement to replace the older fighters with newer ones by 2020,” the two-star Air Force general said. “Once on board, Turkey is expected to bear the same amount of development costs as Indonesia.”

Cha said the KF-X, which was initiated in 2002 but postponed due to financial and technological problems, will start next year with the consent of budget authorities.

Industry sources say Turkey’s participation in the KF-X project could result in a barter deal. Ankara wants Seoul to consider its T-129 helicopter, under development for the Turkish Army, as a candidate for the AH-X heavy attack helicopter acquisition program.

The KF-X program calls for developing an indigenous fighter similar to the latest F-16 by 2022 with financial support from foreign nations or defense companies.

About 120 KF-Xs would be built initially and more than 130 aircraft would be produced additionally after the first-phase models reach operational capability.

Korea will foot 60 percent of the KF-X development costs worth some 5 trillion won ($4.2 billion), with the balance to come from other governments or corporate partners in a “risk sharing” attempt.

Under a memorandum of understanding (MOU) signed on July 15, Indonesia agreed to bear 20 percent of the bill and buy about 50 KF-X planes when mass production begins.

The production costs after the development phase are estimated to be about 6 trillion won.

Korea is seeking to receive relevant technology transfers from U.S. and European aerospace firms. Possible corporate partners include Boeing and Lockheed Martin of the United States, the European defense group EADS and Sweden’s Saab.

The original proposal for the KF-X was to develop a fifth-generation stealth fighter, something that is in between the Dassault Rafale or Eurofighter Typhoon and the Lockheed Martin F-35.

Amid controversy over the feasibility of the original plan, the DAPA commissioned a second study in April last year to the Weapons Systems Concept Development and Application Research Center of Konkuk University.

The center then recommended a plan to develop an F-16 type aircraft fitted with the AESA radar, an electronic warfare suite and data link systems fit for a network-centric environment.

The think tank also recommended the jet to have a combat radius about 1.5 times that of the F-16, an airframe life span 1.34 times longer than that of the F-16 and better avionics than that of the F-16 Block 50.

Among other required capabilities are a thrust of 50,000 pounds, provided by either one or two engines, super-velocity intercept and supercruise capabilities, and the ability to hit targets in the air, on land and at sea

Turkey could join Korea?s fighter plan

Ankara wants Seoul to consider its T-129 helicopter, under development for the Turkish Army, as a candidate for the AH-X heavy attack helicopter acquisition program.

Good point...

IMO Turkey should join with the intention of making KFX a much more marketable and attractive fighter for export. Try investing in making KFX more modular and open to foreign subsystems (like JF-17), perhaps push for multiple engine configurations - i.e. not only American, but also allow for Western (EJ200, M88-3, etc) and even Chinese if possible. I'd certainly like to see Pakistan acquire a few squadrons of KFX to replace the F-16A/Bs after 2020 (assuming no Chinese 5th generation option is available at that time)...perhaps with enough technology transfer to equip PAF KFX with their choice of engine, radar, avionics, etc.

Last edited:
IMO Turkey should join with the intention of making KFX a much more marketable and attractive fighter for export. Try investing in making KFX more modular and open to foreign subsystems (like JF-17), perhaps push for multiple engine configurations - i.e. not only American, but also allow for Western (EJ200, M88-3, etc) and even Chinese if possible. I'd certainly like to see Pakistan acquire a few squadrons of KFX to replace the F-16A/Bs after 2020 (assuming no Chinese 5th generation option is available at that time)...perhaps with enough technology transfer to equip PAF KFX with their choice of engine, radar, avionics, etc.

Well we have the Eurofighter and KFX on the table. Turkish Officials though have also said more F-35 orders are possible as well. (currently at 116)

I personally think we should go with the KFX only if the project ends up producing a very capable fighter. The reason i say this is because the Eurofighter guys are pretty much giving us full member nation rights if we pick their aircraft. That and production plant in Turkey.

Well we have the Eurofighter and KFX on the table. Turkish Officials though have also said more F-35 orders are possible as well. (currently at 116)

I personally think we should go with the KFX only if the project ends up producing a very capable fighter. The reason i say this is because the Eurofighter guys are pretty much giving us full member nation rights if we pick their aircraft. That and production plant in Turkey.
Yes the KFX shouldn't be a bust aircraft either (relative to its current development costs), however marketability are key IMO. Look at what is happening to the Gripen...an excellent fighter, but available to only a select few. Granted we don't want tin pot countries getting their dirty hands on good weapon-systems, but at the same time, we don't want to cut off too many middle powers so needlessly. What is KFX going to do if and when the Chinese market their 5th generation fighters?

Yes the KFX shouldn't be a bust aircraft either (relative to its current development costs), however marketability are key IMO. Look at what is happening to the Gripen...an excellent fighter, but available to only a select few. Granted we don't want tin pot countries getting their dirty hands on good weapon-systems, but at the same time, we don't want to cut off too many middle powers so needlessly. What is KFX going to do if and when the Chinese market their 5th generation fighters?

We also have to invest 20% of the project cost. That is what the Koreans have said. The interesting thing about this aircraft though is it would fit our time frame well. By 2020 F-16s would need to go. By that time frame we would have a fleet of more then 100 F-35s. So the F-4s and F-5s would be long gone. Leaving the replacement of our 4th gen aircraft and that is where KFX would come in. If SK picks the T-129 for their helicopter program it might make this a done deal. Here is something that makes me wonder though since SK said they only have enough industry to produce 60% and need help from U.S. LM and Boeing. Would their be restrictions and the needed tech transfers to complete the other 40% and would those companies now hold a level of control in the aircraft ?.

We also have to invest 20% of the project cost. That is what the Koreans have said. The interesting thing about this aircraft though is it would fit our time frame well. By 2020 F-16s would need to go. By that time frame we would have a fleet of more then 100 F-35s. So the F-4s and F-5s would be long gone. Leaving the replacement of our 4th gen aircraft and that is where KFX would come in. If SK picks the T-129 for their helicopter program it might make this a done deal. Here is something that makes me wonder though since SK said they only have enough industry to produce 60% and need help from U.S. LM and Boeing. Would their be restrictions and the needed tech transfers to complete the other 40% and would those companies now hold a level of control in the aircraft ?.
If I remember correctly, senate has a power to block any arms related American technology to a third country. Even Lockheed or Boeing make only a technology transfer, I believe US will have loud voice in the development process and afterwards.

the turkish T129 is also a very good helo...it is also comparitively low cost and suitable for pakistan. a very good piece of engineering....also the turkish had big role to play in the block 15 to 50 upgradation of pakistan jets.

@Jigs

F16 wont go anywhere near 2020 It is 3rd generation F4 Phantom which will exit TuAF's inventory in 2020 and first party 116 F35s will be enough to replace them...

F-4-51.jpg

Last edited:
@Jigs

F16 wont go anywhere near 2020 It is 3rd generation F4 Phantom which will exit TuAF's inventory in 2020 and first party 116 F35s will be enough to replace them...

F-4-51.jpg

Block 50 airframes would probably stay past that date. But 30s and 40s would be more then 25-30 years old. So 2020 would be the perfect date to start bringing in 4.5/5 gen aircraft. I don't think we would spend millions for structural upgrades on 150 4th gen airframes to keep them operational. We no longer have budget issues like we did in the 80s and 90s. So that date would work for replacements.

jigs i doubt the 2020 time frame for 100 F-35 for turkey!
first its USA,ISRAEL(maybe even before usa) then other partners depending upon the investment.... the earliest chance of turkey getting a 100 f-35 is 2015!and thts minimum time frame.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom