Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Turkey keen to start mono rail on canal and metro train project

November 14, 2013
OUR STAFF REPORTER
LAHORE - A high-level delegation headed by Ahmed Al-Barrak, Chairman, Board of Directors of Al-Barrak Group of Companies, Turkey, called on Punjab Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif here on Wednesday.
Provincial Minister Tanvir Aslam Malik, Chairman Lahore Transport Company, Kh. Ahmed Hassaan, Secretary Housing, Secretary Planning & Development, Commissioner Lahore Division and besides other concerned officials, members Board of Directors of Al-Barrak were also present on the occasion.
Matters relating to housing sector, proposed project of running Mono Rail on Canal and Metro Train Project were discussed during the meeting. The members of the delegation expressed their interest in these projects and assured cooperation.
Talking to the members of the delegation, Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif said that the historic brotherly relations between Pakistan and Turkey has been changed into useful economic friendship and the economic and trade relations between both the countries would further enhance in the coming days. He said that launching of flights operation by Turkish Airlines in Pakistan is a welcome step and it will help promote economic relations. First flight of Turkish Airlines will come to Lahore in current month. The Chief Minister said that a number of projects are being executed successfully in various cities including Lahore with the cooperation of Turkey. He said that metro bus project is a shining example of Pak-Turk friendship. He said that Punjab government wants to extend the scope of metro bus project to more big cities so that maximum people could benefit from this excellent bus service.
He said that Punjab government also wants to expand metro bus project in Lahore. He disclosed that more than one and a half lakh passengers are travelling by metro buses daily and its fare has been fixed only Rs.20 so that low income segments could benefit from it. Shahbaz Sharif said that Punjab government is planning to run mono rail on Lahore canal and it will prove to be a unique project of its kind in Pakistan.
He disclosed that the preliminary work about running mono rail on canal has been started and expressed the hope that Turk Group of Companies Al-Barrak will extend cooperation regarding implementation of this project. The Chief Minister said that all facilities will be provided to Turk Company Al-Barrak in housing sector with regard to construction of low cost houses. He said that Punjab government wants to implement new projects speedily with Al-Barrak Group of Turkey for providing more facilities to the people of the province.
Chairman Al-Barrak Group of Companies Ahmed Al-Barrak assured on this occasion that his group will extend all possible cooperation to Punjab government with regard to proposed project of running mono rail on canal, metro train and housing sector. He said that besides working on these projects, technology will also be transferred to Pakistan. He said that Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has the ability of working with fast speed and also thinks more forward than us. The Chief Minister was told on the occasion that the mono rail project on canal will cost less than metro bus project and it will not cause loss to the trees around the canal during implementation.
Meanwhile, General Manager of Turkish Airlines Alp Yavuzeser met the Chief Minister Punjab and apprised him of flights operation being launched by Turkish Airlines current month. The Chief Minister said that the relations between both the countries will be further promoted due to starting of flights between Istanbul and Lahore by Turkish Airlines.
Turkey keen to start mono rail on canal and metro train project

- Saad Rafique as Railways Minister working to improve existing track and signals from Shahdara to Raiwind. (Suburban Train Project ?)

- Lahore Transport Company led by Khawaja Ahmed Hassan is working on a 27 km Multan Road - GT Road, of which 7 km would be Underground and rest Elevated (Metro Train Project ?)

- Turkey to start on Canal Road (Mono Rail ?)

Sounds too good to be true. But it cannot be reporting error because these projects are being worked on different areas of the city !

There is also the Islamabad-Pindi, Faislabad, Multan feasibility studies taking place (Metro Bus ?)

Last edited:
The only country of Sharifs is Punjab & the capital of their country is Lahore.

The only country of Sharifs is Punjab & the capital of their country is Lahore.

Lets ask you. How many cities in Ontario do you see as developed as Toronto, How many in Quebec as Montreal, in Alberta as Calgary, in BC as Vancouver ?

Of course Lahore is the largest city of Punjab so it should be first to get development by Punjab Government. When you develop one city, you set examples for others. Just as they started off with the Metro Bus Project, they are now going to replicate that in Rawalpindi, Faisalabad and Multan.

P.S No one is stopping other Provinces of Pakistan. After all Shahbaz Sharif did this kind of development when he was in opposition to the Federal Government (PPP) lol

Last edited:
Lets ask you. How many cities in Ontario do you see as developed as Toronto, How many in Quebec as Montreal, in Alberta as Calgary, in BC as Vancouver ?

Of course Lahore is the largest city of Punjab so it should be first to get development by Punjab Government. When you develop one city, you set examples for others. Just as they started off with the Metro Bus Project, they are now going to replicate that in Rawalpindi, Faisalabad and Multan.

P.S No one is stopping other Provinces of Pakistan. After all Shahbaz Sharif did this kind of development when he was in opposition to the Federal Government lol

You will be surprised. All are as developed as any other city. Of course a smaller city does not need a transit system but police, law and order, postage & mail, emergency services and sanitation are absolutely top class. Also, each city has a mayor and local council. Even if that little town has 3000 people!

Compare that with Punjab and compare Lahore with smaller cities. But then its hard to explain!

You will be surprised. All are as developed as any other city. Of course a smaller city does not need a transit system but police, law and order, postage & mail, emergency services and sanitation are absolutely top class. Also, each city has a mayor and local council. Even if that little town has 3000 people!

Compare that with Punjab and compare Lahore with smaller cities. But then its hard to explain!

Since this thread is about Public Transportation, i have have said what i had said before.

Coming to other sectors, Emergency services, Rescue 1122 (credit to both Pervaz Elahi and Shahbaz Sharif ) is in 30 districts of the Province. Heck even Peshawar is starting to think on these lines and they have cooperated with Punjab. As for Law and Order, i don't need to explain. The crime rate in Punjab as a whole is better than other provinces. There is an excellent Lahore Waste Management Company. You can check if you want, they along with Turkey have recently expanded to Rawalpindi, Faislabad, Pindi, and some villages.

Yes i agree with you one one thing. There should be a local government system with Mayors, City/Village Councils etc. in Pakistan

* But people like Rob Ford are not good examples... :laugh:

Last edited:
Since this thread is about Public Transportation, i have have said what i had said before.

Coming to other sectors, Emergency services, Rescue 1122 (credit to both Pervaz Elahi and Shahbaz Sharif ) is in 30 districts of the Province. Heck even Peshawar is starting to think on these lines and they have cooperated with Punjab. As for Law and Order, i don't need to explain. The crime rate in Punjab as a whole is better than other provinces. There is an excellent Lahore Waste Management Company. You can check if you want, they along with Turkey have recently expanded to Rawalpindi, Faislabad, Pindi, and some villages.

Yes i agree with you one one thing. There should be a local government system with Mayors, City/Village Councils etc. in Pakistan

* But people like Rob Ford are not good examples... :laugh:

Absolutely correct. Mayor Rob Ford is not a good example but he will be made example soon and never be seen in public life. No wonder these countries are where they are. They dont accept at all any lies or corruption from their elected officials. See the link below.

In Pakistan we are generous with dishonesty. We keep rewarding the same people who lie, loot and plunder our country. Best thing is we elect those who have militant wings. These parties take vote from u, come back to kill u or bleed your country white by not generating revenue from local resources and keep borrowing instead!

Ford Under Fire | Rob Ford News

1st of all Lahore is not Pakistan, Lahore is in Pakistan. Why everything has to go to Lahore, Cricket, Hockey, football, baseball, Kabbadi,Wrestling.....all their head quarters are in Lahore. What about the rest of the country?

1st of all Lahore is not Pakistan, Lahore is in Pakistan. Why everything has to go to Lahore, Cricket, Hockey, football, baseball, Kabbadi,Wrestling.....all their head quarters are in Lahore. What about the rest of the country?

For 60 Years, Karachi was called mini Pakistan. Why have Businessmen suddenly started moving to Lahore ? Very simple. Its because of stability. I gurantee you. The day Karachi, Peshawar and Quetta improve law and order, that will be the day people will start to improve socio-economics.

Correction. Yes Cricket and Hockey is in Lahore but Wrestling is in Gujranwala and Football in Karachi (Lyari).

Last edited:
@airmarshal & @jupiter2007

Punjab's Chief ministers have improved governance to a point where foreign investors trust that projects in Punjab would be completed with some competence. Naturally Lahore is where most development takes place. Rescue 1122 was inaugurated in Lahore. Similarly it was the first city in Punjab to get underpasses. These things were replicated in the rest of the province with good results. Understandably, Metro Bus and other such improvements would soon be coming to other cities.

If your problem is with Punjab getting fruits of stability, then you need to address the local issues in other provinces. Local leadership of Punjab can not be held responsible for lack of vigor and confidence-building in other provinces.

Corruption is a problem, no doubt. But PML-N has learned to manage it (not finish it) so that projects start and end on time. We deserve better leadership, but what we have in Punjab is better than what is available in other provinces.

I hope you know about discrimination against Punjab during PPP federal government - lopsided loadshedding, obstacles in provincial power projects, etc... Did either of you ever say a word about that? If not, you need to hold your peace now.

@airmarshal & @jupiter2007

Punjab's Chief ministers have improved governance to a point where foreign investors trust that projects in Punjab would be completed with some competence. Naturally Lahore is where most development takes place. Rescue 1122 was inaugurated in Lahore. Similarly it was the first city in Punjab to get underpasses. These things were replicated in the rest of the province with good results. Understandably, Metro Bus and other such improvements would soon be coming to other cities.

If your problem is with Punjab getting fruits of stability, then you need to address the local issues in other provinces. Local leadership of Punjab can not be held responsible for lack of vigor and confidence-building in other provinces.

Corruption is a problem, no doubt. But PML-N has learned to manage it (not finish it) so that projects start and end on time. We deserve better leadership, but what we have in Punjab is better than what is available in other provinces.

I hope you know about discrimination against Punjab during PPP federal government - lopsided loadshedding, obstacles in provincial power projects, etc... Did either of you ever say a word about that? If not, you need to hold your peace now.

Yes I did. Of course it was discriminatory. Good luck to you and Shehbaz Sharif but I have observed their behaviour closely as I had been their voter too, not anymore.

I dont want to start discussion that derails the thread. Punjab stability is coming at the expense of other provinces. Sharifs ally with sectarian terrorists in South Punjab and negotiate settlement with Taliban not to attack Punjab. Thats not nice!

Yes I did. Of course it was discriminatory. Good luck to you and Shehbaz Sharif but I have observed their behaviour closely as I had been their voter too, not anymore.

I dont want to start discussion that derails the thread. Punjab stability is coming at the expense of other provinces. Sharifs ally with sectarian terrorists in South Punjab and negotiate settlement with Taliban not to attack Punjab. Thats not nice!

Good to know.

SSP types have been courted by PPP too. If I look for it, I might find some PTI someone having something to do with some SPP type somewhere. Local politics is not the point in discussion. Neither do local politicians have the wherewithal to affect situation in other provinces.

Extremist Sunni groups are allied with Army in Balochistan and that is why they are dealt with lightly over there. It has nothing to do with Punjab politics. PPP, ANP, & MQM political stances make them prime targets for TTP types. PTI & PML-N deliberately keep their positions ambiguous and for that you can not fault them or Punjab.

TTP attacks tapering off in Punjab had something to do with better job of LEAs, Intelligence, and Army. It is a bit too much for TTP to organize terror plots in Punjab - it requires more planning, logistics, manpower, and resources. Moreover, the terrorist organizations are not united as such, and neither do they answer to a single person.

Punjab's leadership is just a simple target; a convenient scapegoat for quick-fire analysis that reduces a complex equation to a single variable. I know that you are not implying this, but this is a pertinent general observation.

As someone who has travelled on NWR (later named changed to Pakistan Railway) extensively until 1962 and has nostalgic memories about it; I would like to say that Metro bus and mono rails trains are all well and good. But first let us get our railways going.

Millions of Pakistanis need cheap transport between the cities for everyday needs. Goods need to move from KPK; Baluchistan & Punjab down to Karachi for export and imported oil & raw material needs to move upcountry. Majority of public will be more than happy with 100 KM per hour passenger trains and 60 KM per hour goods trains as long as these don’t break down and run on time.

In addition to locomotives and rail carriages; infra-structure, bridges, signalling system etc. are all badly in need of revamping. GOP must do something about Pakistan Railway on top priority basis. Metro & Mono rail type show case projects can wait.

As someone who has travelled on NWR (later named changed to Pakistan Railway) extensively until 1962 and has nostalgic memories about it; I would like to say that Metro bus and mono rails trains are all well and good. But first let us get our railways going.

Millions of Pakistanis need cheap transport between the cities for everyday needs. Goods need to move from KPK; Baluchistan & Punjab down to Karachi for export and imported oil & raw material needs to move upcountry. Majority of public will be more than happy with 100 KM per hour passenger trains and 60 KM per hour goods trains as long as these don’t break down and run on time.

In addition to locomotives and rail carriages; infra-structure, bridges, signalling system etc. are all badly in need of revamping. GOP must do something about Pakistan Railway on top priority basis. Metro & Mono rail type show case projects can wait.
Cant disagree with you.
Dollar for dollar the investment in Pakistan railways would yield far more to the Pakistani economy-particularly industries- than Metro(train) in cities.
So if the investment amount is limited, it would be wiser to invest in the Pakistan Rail instead of city transport infrastructure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom