What's new

Tunisia president accused of staging coup after suspending parliament

sammuel

Reaction score
Country
Israel
~

Kais Saied invokes emergency article of constitution after violent protests against country’s biggest party

Often touted as the lone success story of the Arab spring revolutions a decade ago, Tunisia is facing a critical challenge to its fledgling democracy after its president suspended parliament and dismissed his prime minister in what critics described as a coup.

Kais Saied, an independent without a party behind him, announced he was invoking an emergency article of Tunisia’s constitution late on Sunday night after a day of violent protests against the country’s biggest party, the moderate Islamist Ennahda movement.

The capital, Tunis, was flooded with jubilant crowds waving flags, letting off fireworks and honking car horns after Saied’s declaration in scenes reminiscent of the 2011 protests which toppled the country’s longtime autocratic ruler, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.

On Monday, Saied also removed the defence minister and acting justice minister from their posts, while Al Jazeera reported that its bureau in Tunis had been raided by security forces. Its journalists were expelled from the premises and phones, computers and other equipment confiscated.

What comes next is unclear. The deployment of the army has sparked fears of destabilisation and a return to authoritarian rule. At the same time, Tunisians’ anger at one of Africa’s worst virus outbreaks, and the fractious political class’s inability to tackle the county’s chronic economic problems, has finally boiled over.

“We have been relieved of them,” said Lamia Meftahi, a woman who joined in the celebrations overnight. “This is the happiest moment since the revolution.”

Tunisia’s small army, which is widely seen as being outside politics, was met with an almost rapturous reception by protesters when it deployed overnight, even as soldiers surrounded parliament and blocked the parliamentary speaker, veteran Ennahda leader Rached Ghannouchi, from entering the building.

Outside parliament on Monday, handfuls of Ennahda voters scuffled with the president’s supporters in 39C heat.

4870.jpg

the rest here

~

Democracy? Lol, they were fools, it’s like saying liquor takes good but never tasted it before.

The first and only country to become a democracy after the Arab spring. Sad to see it fall.

~

In fact, integrism is sneaky and insidious, it is there on the lookout to weigh on Arab societies in general, which no longer live liberated, but still live in anguish with a danger that hangs over and pushes them in a defensive spirit. to ally with the army in order to prevent that to change at any time as in 91 in Algeria or in 2011 in Egypt.

~

Kais Saied invokes emergency article of constitution after violent protests against country’s biggest party

Often touted as the lone success story of the Arab spring revolutions a decade ago, Tunisia is facing a critical challenge to its fledgling democracy after its president suspended parliament and dismissed his prime minister in what critics described as a coup.

Kais Saied, an independent without a party behind him, announced he was invoking an emergency article of Tunisia’s constitution late on Sunday night after a day of violent protests against the country’s biggest party, the moderate Islamist Ennahda movement.

The capital, Tunis, was flooded with jubilant crowds waving flags, letting off fireworks and honking car horns after Saied’s declaration in scenes reminiscent of the 2011 protests which toppled the country’s longtime autocratic ruler, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.

On Monday, Saied also removed the defence minister and acting justice minister from their posts, while Al Jazeera reported that its bureau in Tunis had been raided by security forces. Its journalists were expelled from the premises and phones, computers and other equipment confiscated.

What comes next is unclear. The deployment of the army has sparked fears of destabilisation and a return to authoritarian rule. At the same time, Tunisians’ anger at one of Africa’s worst virus outbreaks, and the fractious political class’s inability to tackle the county’s chronic economic problems, has finally boiled over.

“We have been relieved of them,” said Lamia Meftahi, a woman who joined in the celebrations overnight. “This is the happiest moment since the revolution.”

Tunisia’s small army, which is widely seen as being outside politics, was met with an almost rapturous reception by protesters when it deployed overnight, even as soldiers surrounded parliament and blocked the parliamentary speaker, veteran Ennahda leader Rached Ghannouchi, from entering the building.

Outside parliament on Monday, handfuls of Ennahda voters scuffled with the president’s supporters in 39C heat.

4870.jpg

the rest here

~
Isra-HELL, cancer in the MENA region.

Isra-HELL, cancer in the MENA region.

You are the only cancer on PDF not Israel and I am not even pro-Israel but I know bullshit when I see everything is done in justified manner but what you are done is horse-grab and using them as shield to harass others which doesn't give you the right and also you are a foreign agent not an Algerian it is time the mods take a serious action against such elements.

@waz @The Eagle

Look into this poster he is very suspicious and is not an Algeria I quraantee you this and his a foreign element

You are the only cancer on PDF not Israel and I am not even pro-Israel but I know bullshit when I see everything is done in justified manner but what you are done is horse-grab and using them as shield to harass others which doesn't give you the right and also you are a foreign agent not an Algerian it is time the mods take a serious action against such elements.

@waz @The Eagle

Look into this poster he is very suspicious and is not an Algeria I quraantee you this and his a foreign element

Titanium100, You're fighting tooth and nail for your sponsor Israel in this forum. You're presenting yourself as being from Denmark, and requesting Admins in this forum to ban people who expose Israel's hegemony in the Muslim world.

Algeria is the land of my ancestors, troll !

Back
Top Bottom