What's new

Trump May Not Seek Re-election

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another top GOP official has raised doubts about whether President Donald Trump will run for re-election.

Senator Rand Paul said Sunday night that even though the president is raising millions for a 2020 campaign, Republicans should not assume he's running.

“There could well be a primary," the junior senator from Kentucky said on MSNBC, after being asked if a 2020 primary would be good for the Republican Party.

Paul had prefaced his remark by saying Republicans "need to know [if] President Trump [is] running for re-election. I think you won't know that until you get into sort of second, third year of his presidency."

Paul’s comment echoes what Trump insider and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie told the Today show's Matt Lauer on October 27: "If he runs again I would support him, yes, but I'm not so sure what will happen."

Christie added, "Four years is a long time, and especially for someone who has not spent a lifetime in politics, so I think those years affect him differently. So I'm sure the president will make whatever decision is best for him and his family and the country.”

Trump, who hates losing, may be exploring his options for a graceful exit that can be framed as a win.

Paul's and Christie’s comments came after special counsel Robert Mueller filed his first indictments in his investigation into Russian attempts to interfere in the 2016 election. Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Rick Gates, his longtime business partner, have been named in a multiple-count indictment citing money laundering and other illegalities. The indictment was unsealed Monday morning, and the charges don’t look good for a president who campaigned on “draining the swamp.”

Ohio Governor John Kasich is already running a primary campaign against Trump, according to a new report. Vice President Mike Pence and Senators Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse are also running shadow primary campaigns, claimed in August New York Times piece claimed.

Opting not to run for a second term would be an unorthodox move, much like the rest of Trump’s unprecedented presidency.

Only three other presidents have purposefully stepped away from the White House after one term. James Polk ran in 1844 on the promise that he’d serve for just four years and did just that. In 1927, Calvin Coolidge, known for being rather terse, handed reporters a slip of paper that simply said, “I do not choose to run for President in 1928.” In 1968, amid growing protests over the Vietnam War, Lyndon Johnson announced he would not seek re-election.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-2020-election-white-house-manafort-696089

Trump needs to resign ASAP.

LOL - I still can't believe he won. I doubt even he still realizes it. It's gotta be the fluke of the century. Lost by over 3 million popular votes. No public service. No military service. In none of the debates he even had a handle on foreign policy or domestic policy. I had expected a Jeb Bush Vs Hilary fight with Jeb winning. Once this guy sealed the primary, I was pretty sure even no sane Republican supporter would vote for him.

LOL - I still can't believe he won. I doubt even he still realizes it. It's gotta be the fluke of the century. Lost by over 3 million popular votes. No public service. No military service. In none of the debates he even had a handle on foreign policy or domestic policy. I had expected a Jeb Bush Vs Hilary fight with Jeb winning. Once this guy sealed the primary, I was pretty sure even no sane Republican supporter would vote for him.

He probably regrets running...big time. He went from living a nice cozy life to being under criminal investigation.

Another top GOP official has raised doubts about whether President Donald Trump will run for re-election.

Senator Rand Paul said Sunday night that even though the president is raising millions for a 2020 campaign, Republicans should not assume he's running.

“There could well be a primary," the junior senator from Kentucky said on MSNBC, after being asked if a 2020 primary would be good for the Republican Party.

Paul had prefaced his remark by saying Republicans "need to know [if] President Trump [is] running for re-election. I think you won't know that until you get into sort of second, third year of his presidency."

Paul’s comment echoes what Trump insider and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie told the Today show's Matt Lauer on October 27: "If he runs again I would support him, yes, but I'm not so sure what will happen."

Christie added, "Four years is a long time, and especially for someone who has not spent a lifetime in politics, so I think those years affect him differently. So I'm sure the president will make whatever decision is best for him and his family and the country.”

Trump, who hates losing, may be exploring his options for a graceful exit that can be framed as a win.

Paul's and Christie’s comments came after special counsel Robert Mueller filed his first indictments in his investigation into Russian attempts to interfere in the 2016 election. Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Rick Gates, his longtime business partner, have been named in a multiple-count indictment citing money laundering and other illegalities. The indictment was unsealed Monday morning, and the charges don’t look good for a president who campaigned on “draining the swamp.”

Ohio Governor John Kasich is already running a primary campaign against Trump, according to a new report. Vice President Mike Pence and Senators Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse are also running shadow primary campaigns, claimed in August New York Times piece claimed.

Opting not to run for a second term would be an unorthodox move, much like the rest of Trump’s unprecedented presidency.

Only three other presidents have purposefully stepped away from the White House after one term. James Polk ran in 1844 on the promise that he’d serve for just four years and did just that. In 1927, Calvin Coolidge, known for being rather terse, handed reporters a slip of paper that simply said, “I do not choose to run for President in 1928.” In 1968, amid growing protests over the Vietnam War, Lyndon Johnson announced he would not seek re-election.

lets talk about it in 2019, its way too early now. The guy has just entered the white house and already ppl are making up things.

He probably regrets running...big time. He went from living a nice cozy life to being under criminal investigation.
I agree there.

A president or prime minister is a 'promote from within' position, meaning you cannot shop outside your borders for the country's leader. That said, it is impossible to prepare one's self for the position. Nothing you do before can ADEQUATELY give you even a hint of the enormity of the responsibilities. And here we are talking about the most powerful country in the world.

Trump -- in my opinion -- is the least psychologically and emotionally prepared person to yet occupy the presidency. And I believe that Americans will learn from this experience and will engage in deeper inspection of future candidates. When you run a business, you are essentially a dictator. Pretty much all assets are yours to control, if not outright own. This is what Trump is used to living.

But that is not the presidency or the ministership. You are a manager. Whatever you want to do is always checked by something and/or someone else. You own nothing. And under the US Constitution, the US President is the least powerful national leader in terms of applicable and executable powers compares to other countries' leadership positions.

Trump woefully underestimated the varieties of responsibilities, knowledge and the depth required, institutions, and people involved in governing the US. And he gets nothing out of the job. For Trump, the presidency is an ego boost he can live without because he is the type of person whose main interest is financial gain wherever and whenever he can.

But if you want to talk about being miserable -- Melania.

Melania is the quintessential 'gold digger' and 'trophy wife' and she knows it. She knew Trump is a serial adulterer and that moral flaw did not bothered her. All she wanted then and now is to look pretty and live a quiet life raising her son Barron. But now, she has to take on a role and obligations that is alien to her personality. The First Lady is supposed to be a moral exemplar for the country, especially for young women. The country is seeing a gold digger trophy wife who tolerates a marriage to an emotionally immature man.

To Trump, being under criminal investigation is old news from his business dealings. But what is new to him to the scope and depth of his life being examined by people and forces that he cannot control. That bothers him more than enormous implication of the 'nuclear football' briefcase that is always near him or that he has to deal with other national leaders who has low regards for him in all aspects of what is a man and a leader.

Yes, Trump is regretting his life now.

reported for posting propaganda

I agree there.

A president or prime minister is a 'promote from within' position, meaning you cannot shop outside your borders for the country's leader. That said, it is impossible to prepare one's self for the position. Nothing you do before can ADEQUATELY give you even a hint of the enormity of the responsibilities. And here we are talking about the most powerful country in the world.

Trump -- in my opinion -- is the least psychologically and emotionally prepared person to yet occupy the presidency. And I believe that Americans will learn from this experience and will engage in deeper inspection of future candidates. When you run a business, you are essentially a dictator. Pretty much all assets are yours to control, if not outright own. This is what Trump is used to living.

But that is not the presidency or the ministership. You are a manager. Whatever you want to do is always checked by something and/or someone else. You own nothing. And under the US Constitution, the US President is the least powerful national leader in terms of applicable and executable powers compares to other countries' leadership positions.

Trump woefully underestimated the varieties of responsibilities, knowledge and the depth required, institutions, and people involved in governing the US. And he gets nothing out of the job. For Trump, the presidency is an ego boost he can live without because he is the type of person whose main interest is financial gain wherever and whenever he can.

But if you want to talk about being miserable -- Melania.

Melania is the quintessential 'gold digger' and 'trophy wife' and she knows it. She knew Trump is a serial adulterer and that moral flaw did not bothered her. All she wanted then and now is to look pretty and live a quiet life raising her son Barron. But now, she has to take on a role and obligations that is alien to her personality. The First Lady is supposed to be a moral exemplar for the country, especially for young women. The country is seeing a gold digger trophy wife who tolerates a marriage to an emotionally immature man.

To Trump, being under criminal investigation is old news from his business dealings. But what is new to him to the scope and depth of his life being examined by people and forces that he cannot control. That bothers him more than enormous implication of the 'nuclear football' briefcase that is always near him or that he has to deal with other national leaders who has low regards for him in all aspects of what is a man and a leader.

Yes, Trump is regretting his life now.

There were rumors, that had Trump lost the election, Melania was going to divorce Trump.

I though he would be a president of values but he turned to be a dog to chase money

Indeed. The system is supposed to work exactly like you outlined. The problem is, I don't think we've seen the likes of this, ever, and that's a bit worrisome since he has enough power to set this country back 3 decades. I think that's what is ultimately frightening about him and that the system never predicted it would have to deal with the make-up of such an individual.

Kind of shows you, in a way, that any knucklehead with enough money and power, immense popularity, while rudely preaching against the establishment and the established and with the perfect campaign slogan, can become the president of the United States. Perhaps a slight loophole in this great, democratic process.

Trump woefully underestimated the varieties of responsibilities, knowledge and the depth required, institutions, and people involved in governing the US. And he gets nothing out of the job.

True on all counts except the last one. He gets membership to the very exclusive club of the very few, distinguishable and historic figures. That was most likely his ultimate goal.

And I believe that Americans will learn from this experience and will engage in deeper inspection of future candidates.

You think so? All the signs were already there the first time around yet they never cared about any of them. There might not be as many voting for this guy again, but another lunatic who's just as brash with the same, previously mentioned qualifications might get the nod in this deeply divisive state we live in these days.

Melania is the quintessential 'gold digger' and 'trophy wife' and she knows it.

L-O-L! No doubt about it.

All she wanted then and now is to look pretty and live a quiet life raising her son Barron.

And the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

The First Lady is supposed to be a moral exemplar for the country, especially for young women.

No question. The quintessential First Lady that always comes to mind is Jackie Kennedy. The epitome of First Ladies and what an almost perfect specimen she was!

jackie-kennedy-21.jpg

jackie-kennedy-video_ckjuap

image-1099504-860_poster_16x9-urvt-1099504.jpg

article-2510064-1983B6EF00000578-245_634x765.jpg

That bothers him more than enormous implication of the 'nuclear football' briefcase that is always near him or that he has to deal with other national leaders who has low regards for him in all aspects of what is a man and a leader.

Rumblings out of the WH tonight that he's not feeling too good about this upcoming trip to Asia, with all that's happened in the last few days.

No, not F-22Raptor. All the stuff he posts is 100% legitimate.

This is the beauty of the Forum that due to presence of many here with sane mind and knowledge w.r.t. different subjects, one has to prove the propaganda with all the details, counter arguments with facts and sources to back-up like the OP piece. Just throwing one line with mere couple of words while putting all the burden upon other side, actually wouldn't prove anything nor the same is plausible.

Well, Trump really should have read Mark Twain's <<running for governer>> short piece. It is a five minute read and rather humorous.

Back
Top Bottom