What's new

Training of Rafale jets and Qatari pilots stationed at TAF Konya Air Base will continue until 2027

dBSPL

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
l%C5%9F%C3%B6i%C3%B6.png

Konya training airspace has a width and length of more than 400 kilometers. In training exercises, with a realistic war environments, and in a scenario that goes from simple to difficult, with the advantage of high technology, it is carried out in a generic environment, and the quality of the training is measured in the computer environment.

With the agreement signed in 2021, 36 aircraft and 250 Qatari air force personnel were assigned to Konya airbase. The agreement is arranged for 5 years and has the right to be extended for 1 year without a parliamentary decree. Qatari fighter jets, which started training activities in the Turkish airspace first place, consist of 1 fleet Rafale and 1 fleet Mirage2000s. In the upcoming period, it is expected that the Qatar air force will be stationed temporarily in order to participate these training activities in Konya for its newly acquiring EF fleet, which training continues in UK at the moment.

BUT, some claims that these jets will be granted to TAF do not reflect the truth. Konya airbase is one of the most important NATO member country bases in the European continent in terms of the total value created by all these criteria, due to its technical facilities, training quality and especially the size of the airspace. While the ally and friendly state of Qatar continues a rapid air force modernization and expansion program, Turkiye demonstrates its infrastructure support in this regard. For Turkiye, biggest advantage of this cooperation has been the opportunity to analyze these aircraft in detail and to put them into trainings under some specific mission profiles.

Last edited:
One expert said that Turkey could learn a lot from these exercises. Basically, he claimed that Turkish pilots are studying and learning to counter Greek jets in a real war environment. Is that true?

One expert said that Turkey could learn a lot from these exercises. Basically, he claimed that Turkish pilots are studying and learning to counter Greek jets in a real war environment. Is that true?
Ofcourse its a no-brainer

IMO, it seems like a precautionary measure against the possibility that the USA will not sell the F16V to Turkey. It's just to fill the gap until KE and TFX arrive.

You add fighter to your inventory without buying any fighter. :) It's very clever, actually.

My theory is that Qatar went over its head in trying to induct 3 4G jets with a population this small. They figured they would park it and active or former Turkish pilots fly it and in the process increase the proficiency of their pilots.

It is very difficult to pick 200-300 fighter pilots in a population that small, when factors beyond merit (family allegiance, relationships) matter. I know because a close family member helped select/train a Gulf nations Air Force. One thing to fly a jet (like an airliner) and another skill set to learn the tactics to push it to its envelope.

My theory is that Qatar went over its head in trying to induct 3 4G jets with a population this small. They figured they would park it and active or former Turkish pilots fly it and in the process increase the proficiency of their pilots.

It is very difficult to pick 200-300 fighter pilots in a population that small, when factors beyond merit (family allegiance, relationships) matter. I know because a close family member helped select/train a Gulf nations Air Force. One thing to fly a jet (like an airliner) and another skill set to learn the tactics to push it to its envelope.

Sometimes we don't buy things out of our free will.

Sometimes we are forced to buy things, because the other party can force us to do that for a number of reasons.

Get the drift.

IMO, it seems like a precautionary measure against the possibility that the USA will not sell the F16V to Turkey. It's just to fill the gap until KE and TFX arrive.

You add fighter to your inventory without buying any fighter. :) It's very clever, actually.
I agree the same. Systems worth 3-4 billion with zero cost is now basing in Turkiye. I think there are some other detail clauses on the agreement that have a confidentiality decision. Things that can be activated in some emergency situations. The Qatari air force is an operator of both Rafale and Eurofighter.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom