What's new

Trade leverage can halt Vietnam’s turn to US

To get a better connection with China, Vietnam should do more to stable the relationship of two countries.
Vietnam should not China issue to cover its internal stress and poor economy.

Otherwise how could China be confident to invest and boost Vietnam`s economy.
China is investing on many friendly countries. There are so many friends waiting for our investment.
If Vietnam is friendly, there will be more opportunities as both countries are closer and have more culture relationship.
If Vietnam is not friendly, then let it be.

the article recommends the right direction:
"investment, to boost Vietnamese infrastructure and economic strength. China should redouble its efforts to promote interconnection between both countries, such as taking advantage of the 21st Century Silk Road project."

But what are you waiting for? how much more time is going to take before you do the right move? since normalisation, there is not much seen from China. Moreover, I believe you think days and nights how to harm Vietnam.

No, I´m afraid it is too late. the ball is rolling.

wait, where are these communists that you speak off? You mean in America? Yes, you should definitely do something about them.

There's a whole 2,000 people in the entire Communist party of America.
Home » cpusa

There's probably more people in the Flat Earth Society than that.

For China : Vietnam seems like an ungrateful country, and they are small and powerless in the Chinese eyes, so, I don't see what's wrong with China when Vietnam running off with the American. Otherwise, was it China cannot survive with Vietnam running to the west?

For Vietnam : Money is money, does it really matter where they come from? Chinese member say there are always string attached with trading with the US, but is there actually no string at all when Vietnam trade with the Chinese??

For the US: Gaining relationship with Vietnam move one step closer to pivot in Asia, and gaining one more friend would further enchanted the US influence in Asia, why not?

Lee Nguyen, we know him very well. He has been played for Hoang Anh Gialai in Vietnam.

11.jpg

and now, in US.

141110_225114_679.jpg

don't forget Alice Svensson of Sweden

My wife love her and even voted for her in 2008

640px-Alice_Svensson.JPG

For China : Vietnam seems like an ungrateful country, and they are small and powerless in the Chinese eyes, so, I don't see what's wrong with China when Vietnam running off with the American. Otherwise, was it China cannot survive with Vietnam running to the west?

For Vietnam : Money is money, does it really matter where they come from? Chinese member say there are always string attached with trading with the US, but is there actually no string at all when Vietnam trade with the Chinese??

For the US: Gaining relationship with Vietnam move one step closer to pivot in Asia, and gaining one more friend would further enchanted the US influence in Asia, why not?

don't forget Alice Svensson of Sweden

My wife love her and even voted for her in 2008

640px-Alice_Svensson.JPG
I'm always the mindset that countries can do what they want, China will go at our own pace and you can do yours, in the end, I have confidence that we will win out to absolute victory.

I'm not of the mindset that Myanmar and Vietnam shouldn't go America, in fact I think they should, grass is always greener on the other side, America will offend them, that's what nations do, president need votes in America not Vietnam, but that's beside the point.

China is right next to Vietnam, as time pass, our low end manufacturing will more and more move out of the country meaning we will be like america, without some basic products that needs to be imported. Would Vietnam give up this market to say another ASEAN or African country?

Most important, these countries are just too weak right now, going America at this stage could improve their economy and power, China will be the dominate country in Asia no doubt, at some point antagonizing us will do more harm than good, it's far better to have a strong Vietnam beside us that can potentially help than a weak one that may be willing to but is unable to help.

There's a whole 2,000 people in the entire Communist party of America.
Home » cpusa

There's probably more people in the Flat Earth Society than that.

What is communism? Class war, Occupy wall street much.

Each person is paid to their need and skills, California and liberals much.

Deng said, lift some people out of poverty and let them lift the rest. The opposite of Communism, where the discrimination is implied.

I'm always the mindset that countries can do what they want, China will go at our own pace and you can do yours, in the end, I have confidence that we will win out to absolute victory.

I'm not of the mindset that Myanmar and Vietnam shouldn't go America, in fact I think they should, grass is always greener on the other side, America will offend them, that's what nations do, president need votes in America not Vietnam, but that's beside the point.

China is right next to Vietnam, as time pass, our low end manufacturing will more and more move out of the country meaning we will be like america, without some basic products that needs to be imported. Would Vietnam give up this market to say another ASEAN or African country?

Most important, these countries are just too weak right now, going America at this stage could improve their economy and power, China will be the dominate country in Asia no doubt, at some point antagonizing us will do more harm than good, it's far better to have a strong Vietnam beside us that can potentially help than a weak one that may be willing to but is unable to help.

What is communism? Class war, Occupy wall street much.

Each person is paid to their need and skills, California and liberals much.

Deng said, lift some people out of poverty and let them lift the rest. The opposite of Communism, where the discrimination is implied.

thing is, i dont know why Chinese member mind set here is either you are with China or against China.

Trade and political leaning is two very different separate thing, you can establish trade with everyone, but you can only lean on one side of the political movement.

If thing are going like you said then i guess US and China would not be biggest trading relationship in the world, or you are saying Chinese bow down to America or vice versa?

Vietnam is a soverign nation, hence, they can negotiate trading deal with just about anyone. Indeed you can use trade to antangoize a country, look at Russian for an example but. You also need to know the influence is very small.

And on the third point, i dont see how Vietnam will lose out once China become developed and moving all the primary manufacturing offshore. US and China arent exactly friend in the 80s and 90s and yet you see how many US firm move in China for their primary manufacturing need?

As long as a place is cheap enough and relatively convinence enough, investment will flood in, as a business man will not look at a country and think "oh, they have wrong us before, lets not invest in it" but rather "oh, i can get maximum return in this country, lets invest in it" And even If Chinese business do look at the situation politically , the world is still a vig market sans China, so itsbnot any kind of kise as the world would still require a workd factory with or without what Chinese think, and in the end this isolation mindset will only come back and hurt China, not vietnam, simply, vietnam would not collaspe if Chinese dont invest in it, as i said, money is money, it does not matter where this money is from.

Alice Cecilia Linh Svensson... :smitten::smitten::smitten::partay:

lol shes cute aint it?

These days, almost every clothe/shoes I buy is made in Vietnam.

Looks like Vietnam is poised to be a textile giant. Taiwan's socks industry has been outsourced to Vietnam, too. Vietnam socks!!!

Vietnam factories capture greater share of China’s footwear market
| Jan 16, 2015 12:52AM EST

Share%20of%20US%20footwear%20imports-700x393.png

HONG KONG — U.S. footwear import data have revealed the extent of the shift in sourcing that last year saw manufacturers steadily expanding production in Vietnam at the direct expense of China’s market share.

According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, Office of Textiles and Apparel, 1.767 billion pairs were imported from January through November, the latest figures available. Vietnam was the second largest supplier with 249 million pairs of shoes entering the U.S., or 14.5 percent.

But the year-over-year comparisons show that although total U.S. footwear imports have remained virtually flat — 1.166 billion pairs January through November versus 1.163 billion pairs in the same 2013 period — China’s loss of market share is almost equalled by Vietnam’s gain.

The U.S. imported 50 million fewer pairs from China while it imported 40 million more pairs of shoes from Vietnam, an increase of 16 percent over the same 11 months in 2013.

Matt Priest, president of the Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA), said the industry was in a “tumultuous period” when it came to footwear sourcing. For years production has been well entrenched with 95 percent of the shoes imported by the U.S. in any given year originating in China.

“But about the time the recession hit, we started to see a migration out of China that has started to pick up in recent years,” he said. “The central government’s desire to double the minimum wage in five years had an impact on low level manufacturing, and its focus on developing high end brands and pushing manufacturing into more inland areas also had an effect.

“A labor shortage has also been a problem, and rising costs have challenged our companies to find alternative sourcing places. When you depend so heavily on one country as an industry, as we do, you are beholden to whatever economic whirlwinds are blowing in that country at any time.”

China’s share of U.S. footwear imports has fallen to 79 percent, with 95 percent of the shoes imported into the U.S. coming from three countries — China, Vietnam and Indonesia.

For consumers in the U.S., prices will not change much because the manufacturers will either try to absorb rising costs in China or relocate to maintain the margins that enable factories to make shoes at prices U.S. consumers are prepared to pay. And the margins are very small, Priest said.

“For a country the size of the U.S. with 320 million consumers, that is a lot of feet you have to put shoes on and it has to be done in a relatively inexpensive and in a mass way.”

Mike Jeppesen, president of global operations at Wolverine Worldwide, acknowledged that there was also a significant shift occurring within China.

"The cities and provinces in China where the industry produces footwear is shifting dramatically,” he said. “Companies which have been sourcing for decades in the Pearl River Delta are now having to understand and address new cost structures and compliance challenges as they work with more and more factories in inland China.”

In the latest edition of JOC Insights, JOC Group economist Mario Moreno said costs of foot wear production were rising in China’s coastal regions, and that was influencing manufacturing tome away.

“Rising labor costs and serious labor shortages in China’s coastal areas negatively impacted export volume to the U.S. in recent years,” he said. “China, however, continues to have the infrastructure, which is now more focused on the production of medium-priced goods.”

Priest said the footwear industry was doing its best to adapt to the changes, both inside China and in Southeast Asia. Some of the components of shoes, such as stitching, have seen production moving inland and that has added time to shipments.

“The supply chain is lengthened and runs out the efficiencies that we have worked so hard to develop in Guangdong or other coastal provinces over the years,” he said.

“Even though there are challenges in China, it has been decades since this infrastructure was built up and it is well entrenched, the flow of goods is well known and the investment is there. When you look elsewhere you start getting away from all that.”

Moreno is forecasting a 3.7 percent increase in dollar value of footwear imports into the U.S. this year. Measured by this dollar value, Moreno said China remains the largest supplier for U.S. footwear imports, accounting for 70.1 percent of the market year-to-date through October, down from 74.1 percent in 2011.

“Because of not-so-stellar economic conditions in the U.S., demand for low- to medium-priced goods manufactured in China, Vietnam and Indonesia continued to increase as consumers chose low-value imported footwear instead of more expensive, locally produced brands,” he noted in JOC Insights.

“Vietnam’s share of U.S. footwear imports rose to 14.3 percent year-to-date from 9.1 percent in 2011, while Indonesia’s share rose to 5 percent year-to-date from 3.4 percent in 2011. Furthermore, footwear imports from Cambodia are jumping from a very low base, up 119 percent year-to-date, accounting for a sourcing share of a still small 0.5 percent.”

Yet relocating a footwear factory is no easy task. Priest said moving into a new country required solid investment in infrastructure, but also the production capacity, and that took time to develop.

“It takes a lot of labor to put together a pair of shoes, and it takes a lot of capital and infrastructure to house the workers to make the shoes, so it is not an industry that can just pick up and leave when something goes wrong or when margins start to get squeezed even tighter,” he said.

Priest said factories shifting inland or moving to another country would initially have to import raw materials, but would want suppliers to be close at hand.

“It takes time to move that infrastructure. It has been happening slowly and is basically because of Taiwanese and China investment where their factories say to customers, if we provide the infrastructure, will you back that up with orders? That provides comfort to the industry and is a way they can diversify their sourcing base,” Priest said.

Last edited:
I say let Vietnam go with America for a while, why not, playing with lions is only fun if the other is a lion and not a house cat.

Having Vietnam as an ally at this point is pointless, let them advance, it'll make it more worthwhile, IF they can take advantage of it. Japan is far more useful than US' other Asian allies for the exact reason Japan is worth a damn.

we no need china worry about us, Chinese invaders get lost from Islands and Reefs of Vietnam.

i worry about my Vietnam use America pivot China will hurt us.

I don't think you understand the severity of the problem. There are lots of Vietnamese refugees in the West. They never integrate with their adopted homeland, their English (or French or German, etc.) is very poor, they are obsessed with Vietnamese politics, and they still haven't accepted the result of the Vietnam War 40 years after its conclusion. They survive on a diet of fish heads and manicure and scrub white people's feet (as "nail technicians") for a living. Then they send the money they save up (often it is quite substantial) back to Vietnam, to support anti-government agitation groups. I have seen this with my own eyes in the USA, and I'm sure it happens in Canada too. Maybe @AgentOrange can confirm.

Anyway, to summarize, there is a lot of pressure from overseas Vietnamese against the communist Viet government. But at the same time, the current regime has had 40 years to consolidate their rule. So if overseas Viets get their foot in the door in Vietnam, the result won't be a clean regime collapse/change. It will be Syrian-style civil war.
don´t bullshit too much dude

i worry about my Vietnam use America pivot China will hurt us.
who is "us"? the old french empire? go back to your cage.

thing is, i dont know why Chinese member mind set here is either you are with China or against China.

Trade and political leaning is two very different separate thing, you can establish trade with everyone, but you can only lean on one side of the political movement.

If thing are going like you said then i guess US and China would not be biggest trading relationship in the world, or you are saying Chinese bow down to America or vice versa?

Vietnam is a soverign nation, hence, they can negotiate trading deal with just about anyone. Indeed you can use trade to antangoize a country, look at Russian for an example but. You also need to know the influence is very small.

And on the third point, i dont see how Vietnam will lose out once China become developed and moving all the primary manufacturing offshore. US and China arent exactly friend in the 80s and 90s and yet you see how many US firm move in China for their primary manufacturing need?

As long as a place is cheap enough and relatively convinence enough, investment will flood in, as a business man will not look at a country and think "oh, they have wrong us before, lets not invest in it" but rather "oh, i can get maximum return in this country, lets invest in it" And even If Chinese business do look at the situation politically , the world is still a vig market sans China, so itsbnot any kind of kise as the world would still require a workd factory with or without what Chinese think, and in the end this isolation mindset will only come back and hurt China, not vietnam, simply, vietnam would not collaspe if Chinese dont invest in it, as i said, money is money, it does not matter where this money is from.

lol shes cute aint it?
you have the point. chinese argue, as long as we don´t give them everything we have, they don´t like us. I am not really saddened.

don´t bullshit too much dude

who is "us"? the old french empire? go back to your cage.

you have the point. chinese argue, as long as we don´t give them everything we have, they don´t like us. I am not really saddened.

Well, trade is a two way street, not a one side take all scenario.

Trade is not something of a weapon, simply as any trader will tell you, if I did not sell to this stall, I will just go to the next stall, it's not like there are just one stall you can trade with in a market. lol

This applies to everyone, be that China or USA.

Well, trade is a two way street, not a one side take all scenario.

Trade is not something of a weapon, simply as any trader will tell you, if I did not sell to this stall, I will just go to the next stall, it's not like there are just one stall you can trade with in a market. lol

This applies to everyone, be that China or USA.
yes, trade is trade, and as everybody knows politics usually sucks. looking from broader perspective, the deployment of the oil rig into VN waters last year is one of the greatest strategic blunders China ever made since decades. China unintentionally destroys the balance of powers within the VN communist ruling party.

they weaken the pro-China, and strengthen the pro-US faction. Now the likelyhood is high, that some chinese haters and hardliners come into power. Should VN turn to a US ally, the likelyhood is high, that Laos and Cambodia will turn to US as well. So far, the assessment of Global Times is correct: that will impact the entire political landscape.

yes, trade is trade, and as everybody knows politics usually sucks. looking from broader perspective, the deployment of the oil rig into VN waters last year is one of the greatest strategic blunders China ever made since decades. China unintentionally destroys the balance of powers within the VN communist ruling party.

they weaken the pro-China, and strengthen the pro-US faction. Now the likelyhood is high, that some chinese haters and hardliners come into power. Should VN turn to a US ally, the likelyhood is high, that Laos and Cambodia will turn to US as well. So far, the assessment of Global Times is correct: that will impact the entire political landscape.

Stirring the geopolitics and then letting it slowly come back to the status quo is a common foreign policy practice.

Japan did that to China vis-a-vis the Senkaku-Diaoyutai Islands. Not that that was unintentional or simply a blunder. All was calculated.

Of course, at times, you end up short of your previously set objectives. Then, just overcome it and move on.

Well, cant say that China make a mistake, but as usual, they see an opening, they took it and they dont really care who they pissed on.

You need to know Chinese politician alway look at what good on China but not what good on Vietnam, so, well, they inadvertently push vietnam in US camp....

Back
Top Bottom