What's new

Towards knowledge creation within Pakistani Armed Forces

CriticalThought

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Some months ago, this author criticized top military brass for being mediocre, mentally subservient, and creating an environment of excellence in knowledge generated elsewhere. In this article, I show through a practical example how a culture of knowledge creation can be establish within the armed forces. For sake of discussion, we focus on the project of designing a new rifle for the Pakistani army. We propose an indigenous, knowledge based approach, that is data-driven, multi-disciplinary, and end-user centric. The read must note that this discussion is not an accusation of incompetence towards the project. Rather, the projects serves as a convenient example to concretize an otherwise abstract discussion.

Projects are signed off based on perceived needs. It is of utmost importance to align perceived needs with actual needs from the beginning. The perceived need for a new rifle could arise based on internal and external discussions held by top generals with other generals or marketing personnel of international arms suppliers. But in order to ascertain actual needs, we need to reach out to the end-users: the soldiers who wield them in battle, and the battlefield commanders who utilize them in tactical maneuvers. An investigative committe comprising data scientists, statisticians, and requirements analysts must be formed to clarify the following points:

1. What problems are soldiers facing in the use of small arms today? This must be achieved through interviews conducted with active duty personnel that are chosen through a random sampling that ensures elimination of systemic biases. It relies on a culture of openness and honesty within the armed forces where soldiers feel empowered to share critical feedback, without fear of repercussions.

2. Are the problems better addressed through other means, such as better training? That is, is their an actual need for a new rifle, or more pressing problems need to be addressed?

3. Based on current and future projections for the next 50 years, what are the environmental profiles in which small arms will need to be wielded by Pakistan Armed Forces. Do we envisage operations in the rainforests of the Western Ghats? Are we planning to expand operational activities outside the geographical boundaries of Pakistan, such as Africa?

4. Based on current and future projections for the next 50 years, what are the environmental profiles of target and expected customers for our small arms? Are we planning to sell to operators in Africa, and Latin America?

5. Based on intelligence reports and and projected threats, what type of protection will be utilized by enemies?

The above questions are indicative, not exhaustive. Actual needs must be established through a rigorous process of data collection, analysis, and inquisition. At the same time, 'Analysis Paralysis' must be avoided. The members of the investigative committe must be trained to understand the impossibility of encompassing all issues and problems in an organization the size of the Pakistan armed forces. In order to be reactive to ever changing needs, and remain agile and nimble, such investigations must be time bounded. This author proposes a timeframe of 6 months. All hurdles and frictions that hamper such investigations need to be addressed and removed. It should be recognized that the very first study conducted according to these patters may not be successful, but lessons must be learnt and applied from these failures. It will take time for the armed forces to mold themselves into an agile, nimble, and reactive force.

In order to advance the discussion, we hypothesize the successful completion of such an activity, resulting in a hypothetical list of requirements. The new rifle must be ergonomic, light weight, have assured kill against Type II body armor from a distance of 100 m, and be able to operate in temperature ranges from 50C to -10C. Before progressing to an actual implementation, these requirements must be validated. We need to answer the question: 'If soldiers are provided with a rifle that meets all requirements, will it solve the problems that have been identified?' There are two important components of this question: providing soldiers with a rifle taht meets all requirements, and ascertaining whether this solves the identified problems. There are various means that can be employed to answer this question. For example, limited amounts of commercially available rifles could be procured which have characteristics that meet the requirements to a good degree of approximation. Or, a simulator can be created where soldiers hold mock ups of a hypothetical rifle that is deemed to meet the requirements. In any case, the determination whether the rifle solves identified problems MUST NOT be made on a test range. Rather, mission profiles should be created that recreate scenarios where identified problems lead to mission failures. The performance of soldiers should be evaluated in these missions to ascertain whether the provision of the new rifle will actually solve the problems identified. Again, the experiments must be conducted to ensure elimination of statistical biases.

If Pakistan had an established arms design facility, experienced designers would be able to determine if a single rifle could meet all given requirements, based on available technology. This proposal takes into account the current technological realities of Pakistan, where indigenous capabilities must be created ab initio. In the context of Pakistan's realities, a gap analysis of existing rifles should be performed to find improvements that can be made to existing designs to bring them in compliance with requirements. From this pont onwards, an iterative design, development, and validation process should be started.

As the first engineering step, a realistic 3D model of existing rifle must be created. It should be possible to simulate the entire process from chambering the round, to escape of the bullet from the muzzle. High speed cameras should be utilized to study characteristics of existing system in detail. The simulation should be able to replicate structural stresses, vibrations, temperature changes, wear and tear etc. Now, modifications can be made and their impacts on various characteristics can be determined. Examples of viable designs can be produced using existing manufacturing techniques and tested to verify the characteristics in the real world. In this manner, iterative improvements should be made and the improved product rolled out to actual end users to get real world feedback on the improved designs. Again, project overseers must be trained to avoid the trap of a never ending design process that produces no results. The focus should remain on getting an improved version into the hands of end users, and getting real world feedback to guide the next set of changes.

In parallel to instituting this culture of continuous improvement, a parallel effort must be made to acquire expertise in latest manufacturing tools, techniques, and technologies, thus providing designers with better tools to create modifications. In the long term, this author hopes a special cadre of generals, air marshals, and admirals will be created who have a sound grounding in science, engineering, and mathematics, and who specialize in managing such large scale, multi-disciplinary projects for continuous improvement of the armed forces.

To conclude, we have used the new rifle project to show how the armed forces should conduct continuous improvement. We have highlighted the need of specially trained generals, air marshals, and admirals, to head the likes of POF, HMC, PAC, MTC etc. But most importantly, we invite the armed forces to escape from mental subservience by adopting a knowledge creation approach to solving modern challenges.

i think private sector has to collaborate with army for such advanced technology as it happens in u.s,army alone cannot do everything,govt has to take responsibility to improve education and training standards as well as technological advancement and research,our public intellect is our major asset and if govt is able to capitalize our youth capabilities things will improve not only in army weapon development but also in all other fields including non military equipment and infrastructure as well as standard of life but unfortunately we are spending least in human capital in region

Some months ago, this author criticized top military brass for being mediocre, mentally subservient, and creating an environment of excellence in knowledge generated elsewhere. In this article, I show through a practical example how a culture of knowledge creation can be establish within the armed forces. For sake of discussion, we focus on the project of designing a new rifle for the Pakistani army. We propose an indigenous, knowledge based approach, that is data-driven, multi-disciplinary, and end-user centric. The read must note that this discussion is not an accusation of incompetence towards the project. Rather, the projects serves as a convenient example to concretize an otherwise abstract discussion.

Projects are signed off based on perceived needs. It is of utmost importance to align perceived needs with actual needs from the beginning. The perceived need for a new rifle could arise based on internal and external discussions held by top generals with other generals or marketing personnel of international arms suppliers. But in order to ascertain actual needs, we need to reach out to the end-users: the soldiers who wield them in battle, and the battlefield commanders who utilize them in tactical maneuvers. An investigative committe comprising data scientists, statisticians, and requirements analysts must be formed to clarify the following points:

1. What problems are soldiers facing in the use of small arms today? This must be achieved through interviews conducted with active duty personnel that are chosen through a random sampling that ensures elimination of systemic biases. It relies on a culture of openness and honesty within the armed forces where soldiers feel empowered to share critical feedback, without fear of repercussions.

2. Are the problems better addressed through other means, such as better training? That is, is their an actual need for a new rifle, or more pressing problems need to be addressed?

3. Based on current and future projections for the next 50 years, what are the environmental profiles in which small arms will need to be wielded by Pakistan Armed Forces. Do we envisage operations in the rainforests of the Western Ghats? Are we planning to expand operational activities outside the geographical boundaries of Pakistan, such as Africa?

4. Based on current and future projections for the next 50 years, what are the environmental profiles of target and expected customers for our small arms? Are we planning to sell to operators in Africa, and Latin America?

5. Based on intelligence reports and and projected threats, what type of protection will be utilized by enemies?

The above questions are indicative, not exhaustive. Actual needs must be established through a rigorous process of data collection, analysis, and inquisition. At the same time, 'Analysis Paralysis' must be avoided. The members of the investigative committe must be trained to understand the impossibility of encompassing all issues and problems in an organization the size of the Pakistan armed forces. In order to be reactive to ever changing needs, and remain agile and nimble, such investigations must be time bounded. This author proposes a timeframe of 6 months. All hurdles and frictions that hamper such investigations need to be addressed and removed. It should be recognized that the very first study conducted according to these patters may not be successful, but lessons must be learnt and applied from these failures. It will take time for the armed forces to mold themselves into an agile, nimble, and reactive force.

In order to advance the discussion, we hypothesize the successful completion of such an activity, resulting in a hypothetical list of requirements. The new rifle must be ergonomic, light weight, have assured kill against Type II body armor from a distance of 100 m, and be able to operate in temperature ranges from 50C to -10C. Before progressing to an actual implementation, these requirements must be validated. We need to answer the question: 'If soldiers are provided with a rifle that meets all requirements, will it solve the problems that have been identified?' There are two important components of this question: providing soldiers with a rifle taht meets all requirements, and ascertaining whether this solves the identified problems. There are various means that can be employed to answer this question. For example, limited amounts of commercially available rifles could be procured which have characteristics that meet the requirements to a good degree of approximation. Or, a simulator can be created where soldiers hold mock ups of a hypothetical rifle that is deemed to meet the requirements. In any case, the determination whether the rifle solves identified problems MUST NOT be made on a test range. Rather, mission profiles should be created that recreate scenarios where identified problems lead to mission failures. The performance of soldiers should be evaluated in these missions to ascertain whether the provision of the new rifle will actually solve the problems identified. Again, the experiments must be conducted to ensure elimination of statistical biases.

If Pakistan had an established arms design facility, experienced designers would be able to determine if a single rifle could meet all given requirements, based on available technology. This proposal takes into account the current technological realities of Pakistan, where indigenous capabilities must be created ab initio. In the context of Pakistan's realities, a gap analysis of existing rifles should be performed to find improvements that can be made to existing designs to bring them in compliance with requirements. From this pont onwards, an iterative design, development, and validation process should be started.

As the first engineering step, a realistic 3D model of existing rifle must be created. It should be possible to simulate the entire process from chambering the round, to escape of the bullet from the muzzle. High speed cameras should be utilized to study characteristics of existing system in detail. The simulation should be able to replicate structural stresses, vibrations, temperature changes, wear and tear etc. Now, modifications can be made and their impacts on various characteristics can be determined. Examples of viable designs can be produced using existing manufacturing techniques and tested to verify the characteristics in the real world. In this manner, iterative improvements should be made and the improved product rolled out to actual end users to get real world feedback on the improved designs. Again, project overseers must be trained to avoid the trap of a never ending design process that produces no results. The focus should remain on getting an improved version into the hands of end users, and getting real world feedback to guide the next set of changes.

In parallel to instituting this culture of continuous improvement, a parallel effort must be made to acquire expertise in latest manufacturing tools, techniques, and technologies, thus providing designers with better tools to create modifications. In the long term, this author hopes a special cadre of generals, air marshals, and admirals will be created who have a sound grounding in science, engineering, and mathematics, and who specialize in managing such large scale, multi-disciplinary projects for continuous improvement of the armed forces.

To conclude, we have used the new rifle project to show how the armed forces should conduct continuous improvement. We have highlighted the need of specially trained generals, air marshals, and admirals, to head the likes of POF, HMC, PAC, MTC etc. But most importantly, we invite the armed forces to escape from mental subservience by adopting a knowledge creation approach to solving modern challenges.

Agreed. But please spare me, what exactly you want to highlight? I mean i am in knowledge of what goes on in army once you have to procure any equipment, such as an assault / battle rifle like you highlighted. And the way you have described it, army follows the same procedure, i should say even more detailed and tough for the contending rifles.

Agreed. But please spare me, what exactly you want to highlight? I mean i am in knowledge of what goes on in army once you have to procure any equipment, such as an assault / battle rifle like you highlighted. And the way you have described it, army follows the same procedure, i should say even more detailed and tough for the contending rifles.

The procurement project was merely a concrete example I used to describe an approach towards knowledge creation. I wish for this approach to permeate everything the Army does. Let me explain why I believe this is not ingrained within the fabric of the army today. Please correct me where I am wrong.

Let us start with a look at 2000-2009. We see an army that is bumbling around in the Northern Areas, and getting picked off by a rag tag enemy. During this entire time, and these are 9 very long years mind, we do not see any kind of initiative to learn from mistakes and devise a strategy. This mismanagement is my main evidence towards the lack of initiative and creativity in our generals.

All of a sudden, circa 2009, we see a season shift. But here are the key elements of the shift: American drone strikes, new uniforms patterned after American forces, new equipment, and new tactics that are similar to what Americans have been trying to do in Afghanistan. The only difference is that Pak Army is now able to hold territory unlike their American counterparts, thus avoiding the reversal of gains (of course there was quite a bit of to and fro in Waziristan, but I am talking about the overall trend). This again makes me lose confidence in the ability of our generals to plan, train, and execute when faced with new challenges that they have never seen before.

Then, we had the opportunity to actually implement what we learnt in Waziristan in Yemen. To this day, I remember a military analyst sitting in a TV program saying 'You should go and see the rugged mountains there and the solidly built black habshis guarding those mountains'. So where did all the bravado disappear about beating terrorism and achieving something no one else has achieved? Are rugged mountains and solidly built black habshis all it takes to deter our generals? Please don't give me the argument about finances. Had we taken the initiative, Saudi and UAE would have easily taken care of the finances.

But apart from these general things, I want to convey my lack of confidence about something extremely fundamental. It is the lack of experimentation to create new solutions. Again, I am trying to talk about something so abstract, that I need to use a specific example to convey my point of view. Please don't limit its application to the specific problem I am about to present.

Let us take the example of physical combat and training SSG in hand to hand combat. Today, this has been boiled down to a science and utilizes elements from sports medicine, human bio-physics, and decision theory. Following the program I laid down in OP, you identify the scenarios in which your SSG soldiers need to engage in hand to hand combat. You then utilize bio-physics to find out the optimal set of muscles that can be engaged for the desired outcome. You then teach these findings to your SSG operators, and train them until it forms part of their muscle memory.

In sharp contrast to this, in my limited knowledge, the training of SSG follows a set pattern taught to us by the Americans. I have seen the programs where they eat snakes and chickens. This is a direct replica of the American Green Berets. Long walks with loads, parachute jumps, jungle warfare tactics, everything comes from America. What is something which we have developed ourselves through experimentation and application of science and technology? As far as I know, the very fabric of our Army is NOT geared towards finding novel solutions through the independent application of latest scientific and technological methods. The word independent is important. Our generals will be most happy to be taught a new trick by the Americans. But what new tricks are they discovering by themselves?

Then there is the quality of our soldier. The average American soldier has twelfth grade or bachelors education. This enhances their ability to make decisions and quickly adapt to new situations. Setting aside our regular army, how tech savvy and quick thinking are our SSG operators?

I hope I have been able to convey my concerns in an effective manner. Again, I thank you for taking out your precious time to engage me in this discussion.

The procurement project was merely a concrete example I used to describe an approach towards knowledge creation. I wish for this approach to permeate everything the Army does. Let me explain why I believe this is not ingrained within the fabric of the army today. Please correct me where I am wrong.

Let us start with a look at 2000-2009. We see an army that is bumbling around in the Northern Areas, and getting picked off by a rag tag enemy. During this entire time, and these are 9 very long years mind, we do not see any kind of initiative to learn from mistakes and devise a strategy. This mismanagement is my main evidence towards the lack of initiative and creativity in our generals.

All of a sudden, circa 2009, we see a season shift. But here are the key elements of the shift: American drone strikes, new uniforms patterned after American forces, new equipment, and new tactics that are similar to what Americans have been trying to do in Afghanistan. The only difference is that Pak Army is now able to hold territory unlike their American counterparts, thus avoiding the reversal of gains (of course there was quite a bit of to and fro in Waziristan, but I am talking about the overall trend). This again makes me lose confidence in the ability of our generals to plan, train, and execute when faced with new challenges that they have never seen before.

Then, we had the opportunity to actually implement what we learnt in Waziristan in Yemen. To this day, I remember a military analyst sitting in a TV program saying 'You should go and see the rugged mountains there and the solidly built black habshis guarding those mountains'. So where did all the bravado disappear about beating terrorism and achieving something no one else has achieved? Are rugged mountains and solidly built black habshis all it takes to deter our generals? Please don't give me the argument about finances. Had we taken the initiative, Saudi and UAE would have easily taken care of the finances.

But apart from these general things, I want to convey my lack of confidence about something extremely fundamental. It is the lack of experimentation to create new solutions. Again, I am trying to talk about something so abstract, that I need to use a specific example to convey my point of view. Please don't limit its application to the specific problem I am about to present.

Let us take the example of physical combat and training SSG in hand to hand combat. Today, this has been boiled down to a science and utilizes elements from sports medicine, human bio-physics, and decision theory. Following the program I laid down in OP, you identify the scenarios in which your SSG soldiers need to engage in hand to hand combat. You then utilize bio-physics to find out the optimal set of muscles that can be engaged for the desired outcome. You then teach these findings to your SSG operators, and train them until it forms part of their muscle memory.

In sharp contrast to this, in my limited knowledge, the training of SSG follows a set pattern taught to us by the Americans. I have seen the programs where they eat snakes and chickens. This is a direct replica of the American Green Berets. Long walks with loads, parachute jumps, jungle warfare tactics, everything comes from America. What is something which we have developed ourselves through experimentation and application of science and technology? As far as I know, the very fabric of our Army is NOT geared towards finding novel solutions through the independent application of latest scientific and technological methods. The word independent is important. Our generals will be most happy to be taught a new trick by the Americans. But what new tricks are they discovering by themselves?

Then there is the quality of our soldier. The average American soldier has twelfth grade or bachelors education. This enhances their ability to make decisions and quickly adapt to new situations. Setting aside our regular army, how tech savvy and quick thinking are our SSG operators?

I hope I have been able to convey my concerns in an effective manner. Again, I thank you for taking out your precious time to engage me in this discussion.

Pretty well summed up.

A word about our SSG operators. I am personally much impressed by them, whether it is their officer or simple soldier, they are quick thinkers, full of initiative and drive....and much more tech savvy than the field army.

But otherwise, your concerns are genuine and i respect that.

Pretty well summed up.

A word about our SSG operators. I am personally much impressed by them, whether it is their officer or simple soldier, they are quick thinkers, full of initiative and drive....and much more tech savvy than the field army.

But otherwise, your concerns are genuine and i respect that.

Could you guide me how to present these concerns to the top leadership so they can be rectified?

Could you guide me how to present these concerns to the top leadership so they can be rectified?

It all depends upon whether you have access to the top or not. Rest, you can just put across your point of view and if asked, give it in the form of a analytical paper as well.

It all depends upon whether you have access to the top or not. Rest, you can just put across your point of view and if asked, give it in the form of a analytical paper as well.

Well, my access is limited to this forum and the audience I have here.

Cant say about other members whether they have the required access or not. However, you can give articles for Army's HILAL magazine.

Sir, I took a look:

http://hilal.gov.pk/

Hilal seems to be an outreach type of magazine where the army is trying to reach out to the masses. The content has a mass appeal to it.

Is there a publication where I could submit technical and critical articles anonymously for the consideration of our top leadership?

Sir, I took a look:

http://hilal.gov.pk/

Hilal seems to be an outreach type of magazine where the army is trying to reach out to the masses. The content has a mass appeal to it.

Is there a publication where I could submit technical and critical articles anonymously for the consideration of our top leadership?
I would suggest Green Book and NDU publications

I would suggest Green Book and NDU publications

Sent an email to the editor of an NDU journal quite a few days ago. No response yet. Is it possible to set up a channel from this forum to our top leadership? For example, articles in the magazine section could be selected for their viewing?

Sent an email to the editor of an NDU journal quite a few days ago. No response yet. Is it possible to set up a channel from this forum to our top leadership? For example, articles in the magazine section could be selected for their viewing?

Sorry dear, I may not be the right person to advise you on that. But you may ask the moderators here. Someone might be knowing some higher up in these institutions.

So what qualifies you to make such high floating claims? Secondly, you are not an “author”, you are writing on a public website mostly frequented by kids and retirees. I respect the latter but they are here mostly because they have too much time on their hand. Get off your high horse and don’t pretend to be some sort of an expert. Do you think every thing that you are proposing is not already happening? Do know the limitations and the constraints? Don’t put yourself in the same category as Mastan Khan. Have a little humility.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom