What's new

Torpedoes of Pak Navy

Do you have to quote the whole post? Pls edit to quote only the relevant portion.

As for the Italian A244 torpedoes, as listed by SIPRI, their acquisition seems to coincide with the delivery of 3 MG 110 Midget Submarines MG 110 type built in Pakistan under supervision by Cosmos (enlarged SX 756 of Italian Cosmos design). 12 A244 could mean 4 per minisub, which each have 2 533mm tubes and could launch smaller diameter torpedoes using a sleeve. Just speculating here. At that time, PN was also flying 3 Lynx helicopters and 3 Brequet Atlantique MPAs, all of which could well have used A244.

"The torpedo has been exported to Argentina, China, Ecuador, Greece, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, Venezuela and Yugoslavia."
http://pakdef.org/a-244s-and-a-290-lightweight-torpedoes/

"Pakistan Navy - 12"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A244-S#Current_operators

12 is not a huge number. I suspect today, they are no longer there. QUestion is where they went, did they expire, were they expended, or e.g. shipped to China? 12 could also be a quantity used for testing, to see if further purchase is warrented.
I have told u that data shown is wrong bcz we are not having this torpedo at the moment. It cannot be moved to China bcz as per ur data they themself got them. Must have bene moved to any another country bcz we do not retire things easily. We are keeping very older Daphne class torpedoes till today.

They are indeed a fantastic piece of kit. Just look at what one did to KNM Stavanger!!

One shot, one kill. Had the ship been armed with anything other then fuel the damage would be even greater.

The torpedo (an older DM2A3) was launched from the tiny Ula Class submarine S302 Utstein.

1280px-The_Norwegian_ULA_class_submarine_Utstein_%28KNM_302%29_participates_in_NATO_exercise_Odin-One.jpg
Truely it is the great choice by PN to acquire DM2. Heard there is another updated model with more features etc. Still DM2A4 is a great weapon and the proof is ur video

Or got reverse engineered within Pakistan.
As daft as it may sound. It could be a possibility I do remember there was a rumor that several foreign naval mines were being reverse engineered and being made in Pakistan.
If they started reverse engineering in 1989, when these A244s were delivered, then by 2016, after 27 years, Pakistan should by now produce a lightweight ASW torpedo. They also has Mk44 and Mk46 to start from, just like the Chinese. From the same basis, in roughly the same period, the Chinese came up with ET52, Yu7 and Yu11. Where is the Pakistani lightweight ASW torp?

pns shahjahan sir ji
I used to think you must be in 70s age wise, using wheel chair or something like that. But you are much young compared to what was I expecting. :o:
When you retired from armed forces sir g?

If they started reverse engineering in 1989, when these A244s were delivered, then by 2016, after 27 years, Pakistan should by now produce a lightweight ASW torpedo. They also has Mk44 and Mk46 to start from, just like the Chinese. From the same basis, in roughly the same period, the Chinese came up with ET52, Yu7 and Yu11. Where is the Pakistani lightweight ASW torp?
There are no torpedo development programs in Pakistan. Since the target quantities are low, only purchase is and heavy maintenance route is adopted.

But if Pakistan ever reveals a lightweight torpedo (If it ever exists) wouldn't it come under scrutiny and nations may stop supplying us weapons in the future?
So maybe declaration wasn't given?

(Again, just a shot in the dark).

But if Pakistan ever reveals a lightweight torpedo (If it ever exists) wouldn't it come under scrutiny and nations may stop supplying us weapons in the future?

:)
Well that is not the case. You can say this about ICBM may be, nukes for sure, but not about torpedo!! No one stopped/banned us from buying tanks or aircraft when we were making Al Khalid and JF17. :) Torpedo wont be any different.

The reason for not having an indigenous program for a light weight torpedo is a low target number. We do not want them in HUGE quantities and therefore choose to buy directly.

There are no torpedo development programs in Pakistan. Since the target quantities are low, only purchase is and heavy maintenance route is adopted.
I didn't say there were, Mr.Meap suggested that. I merealy said that IF such an effort existed, THEN it has not come to fruition.

See post #14: https://defence.pk/threads/torpedoes-of-pak-navy.453521/page-3#post-8775324

See what happened in Chinese example: US and Italian torpedoes and launchers sold to them and subsequently reverse engineerd and copied.

Bro I see your point. It is an SLAshM
? wtf

SSM > surface to surface missile
SSSM > sub-surface to surface missile
AShM > Anti ship missile
the rest is fictitious

I didn't say there were, Mr.Meap suggested that. I merealy said that IF such an effort existed, THEN it has not come to fruition.

See post #14: https://defence.pk/threads/torpedoes-of-pak-navy.453521/page-3#post-8775324

See what happened in Chinese example: US and Italian torpedoes and launchers sold to them and subsequently reverse engineerd and copied.

? wtf

SSM > surface to surface missile
SSSM > sub-surface to surface missile
AShM > Anti ship missile
the rest is fictitious
It would've been amazing if we made our own torpedoes.
Perhaps dumb torpedoes for our midget sub fleet?
Is that possible?

It would've been amazing if we made our own torpedoes.
Perhaps dumb torpedoes for our midget sub fleet?
Is that possible?
I very much doubt Pakistan is developing or has developed a domestic ASW lightweight torpedo, or any torpedo for that matter.

I very much doubt Pakistan is developing or has developed a domestic ASW lightweight torpedo, or any torpedo for that matter.
One can hope. :(
But what is the reason behind not producing torpedoes at home?

Back
Top Bottom