What's new

Tibetans can seek Indian citizenship: Lobsang Sangay

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
DHARAMSHALA: Tibetan government-in-exile Prime Minister Lobsang Sangay said on Wednesday that the Tibetans living in India could apply for the Indian citizenship and the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) would help them by providing supporting documents.

This is the first time that the Tibetan government-in-exile has 'allowed' Tibetans to seek Indian citizenship.

"The CTA cannot prevent any Tibetan from applying for the Indian citizenship," Sangay said.

Namgyal Dolkar (25) was the first person of Tibetan origin to get an Indian citizenship after fighting a long battle in the Delhi high court in 2011. She was born in Kangra in Himachal Pradesh and brought up in Dehradun in Uttar Pradesh.

Many Tibetans are keen to get Indian citizenship but the government-in-exile has not said much about it. They didn't say much even after Dolkar was granted the Indian citizenship.

"The decision to apply for Indian or any other country's citizenship is a personal choice. The Indian Citizenship Act of 1986 grants citizenship rights to Tibetans born in India between 1950 and 1987," Sangay said.

"At the same time, the CTA cannot compel Tibetans to apply for the Indian citizenship," he added.

He further said that CTA issues bona fide Tibetan letters of support to those applying for citizenships in India and abroad. Sangay revealed that in last around two years, the CTA received 14 citizenship requests, all of which were cleared.

Sangay also expressed his gratitude to the Canadian government for accepting 1000 Tibetan refugees from Arunachal Pradesh as permanent residents under a special program.

?Tibetans can seek Indian citizenship: Lobsang Sangay - Times Of India

People of Dharmic Religion are always welcome in India...

Welcome Brothers .... Apart from that Tibetans has always played a constructive part in India....

They Love India as much as they love Tibet...

Why should they even need to apply? They are naturally Indian citizens. They've lived in India for decades, and they're culturally and mentally Indian. India is the only homeland they know, because they are strangers everywhere else.

Yep, even Lobsang Sangay himself has never set foot in Tibet in his entire life.

Not once, in his entire life.

He was born in India, in West Bengal. He grew up in India. He has nothing to do with Tibet.

People of Dharmic Religion are always welcome in India...

Welcome Brothers .... Apart from that Tibetans has always played a constructive part in India....

They Love India as much as they love Tibet...

So you won't welcome me ? :cray:

Doesn't India own part of Tibet? Set those dudes up over there. Let them have their dream of being a Tibetan empire.

Though I will say this, what is the benefit of going Indian? Not saying anything, but from what I can see India is no Canada, and the social service is well almost non existent, so I don't understand the logic behind this.

What is the difference between, whatever they are now, and being Indian citizen? Health care? School? Welfare? Does India have those?

Why should they even need to apply? They are naturally Indian citizens. They've lived in India for decades, and they're culturally and mentally Indian. India is the only homeland they know, because they are strangers everywhere else.

Citizenship is by blood not by birth

Doesn't India own part of Tibet? Set those dudes up over there. Let them have their dream of being a Tibetan empire.

Though I will say this, what is the benefit of going Indian? Not saying anything, but from what I can see India is no Canada, and the social service is well almost non existent, so I don't understand the logic behind this.

What is the difference between, whatever they are now, and being Indian citizen? Health care? School? Welfare? Does India have those?

Absolutely nothing.

There are many Tibetan townships in the state of Karnataka in South India. And they have built monastries too.

They should have taken Indian CItizenship Long Ago . They are only not assimilating and doing so as to keep the funds flowing from Bleeding heart liberals in the west from which they enjoy their life here . I know this first hand from my friend who lives in Dharamshala .

This whole " Free Tibet Movement" is a money conning sham of highest order . 
Citizenship is by blood not by birth

Absolutely nothing.

Citizenship is by Birth , not by blood as it will be impossible to identify which country you are from by your "blood" .

They should have taken Indian CItizenship Long Ago . They are only not assimilating and doing so as to keep the funds flowing from Bleeding heart liberals in the west from which they enjoy their life here . I know this first hand from my friend who lives in Dharamshala .

This whole " Free Tibet Movement" is a money conning sham of highest order . 

Citizenship is by Birth , not by blood as it will be impossible to identify which country you are from by your "blood" .

Can you please elaborate as how they scam the money. I have always suspected this it don't really know how they manage to do so. As far as I know, they also get millions from CIA funded NGOs, e.g. NED.

Back
Top Bottom