ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Three Pakistani cities among most polluted cities in the world
By Web Desk
Published: July 25, 2015
926245-pollutionkt-1437808555-335-640x480.jpg

A boy looks for recyclable items in the polluted waters of Karachi harbour, Pakistan. PHOTO: REUTERS

Of the Pakistani cities, Karachi, Peshawar and Rawalpindi are among the 20 most polluted cities in the world, as per the most recent statistics from the World Health Organisation (WHO) compiled from more than 1,600 cities for the years 2008 to 2013.

Karachi ranks number five just ahead of Peshawar and Rawalpindi which stand at six and seven in the list of 20 most polluted cities.

polluted.jpg

The WHO report listed 1,600 cities in 91 countries and ranked them according to the quality of their air which is measured for concentrations of PM10 and PM2.5 that is particles smaller than 10 or 2.5 microns which are harmful toxins that can cling to the lungs and cause diseases.

Pakistan records the highest level over all of the 91 countries in the WHO air pollution database.

Interestingly, 13 of the 20 cities on the list are Indian. Delhi tops the list of the most polluted cities followed by Patna, Gwalior and Raipur.

brick-kiln-Peshawar-AFP.jpg

Smoke rises form brick kilns in Peshawar. PHOTO: AFP

The report is a cause of serious health concerns for the inhabitants of the respective cities as toxic pollution hugely impacts human health and can cause acids rains, heart disease and respiratory problems among others.

Pakistan, India and China are also polluted in terms of particulate matter. The WHO examined the concentration of the fine particles and advised that fine particles of less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter (PM2.5) should not exceed 10 micrograms per cubic metre.

LOL ....look at the map...Delhi in Rajasthan.:p:
They don't even know the location.

How did lahore miss out? there is massive pollution in lahore.

This pollution is not enough for some Pakistanis since they want to build coal powered plants which will be even more polluting to health and environment.

I think they meant Kabul judging by the map, it has been said to be the most polluted before, please correct... anyways stuff needs to improve...
How did lahore miss out? there is massive pollution in lahore.
You live in Lahore Sir?

I think they meant Kabul judging by the map, it has been said to be the most polluted before, please correct... anyways stuff needs to improve...

You live in Lahore Sir?

yeah.

They forgot to include intellectual pollution in that metric.

Saaf saaf Pakistan
pak pak Pakistan
Commander Safeguard

They forgot to include intellectual pollution in that metric.
Jis mulk mein burqi khusri ho wahan yahe ho ga

Hay sab kay liye farmaan safai hay nisf emaan
emaan apna mazboot banayo safai ki adat apnao
@Shamain
Kids are you with me

I don;t understand this at all.
I have allergenic asthma (means I get an attack as a response to an allergen).

I have more allergic problems in UAE than in Pakistan (where the air is significantly cleaner than UAE).

so our sweet neighbor are well ahead of us 1 2 3 4 :D :D on serious note Pakistan govt should take some safety measures to counter the pollution

Measures and solutions:

- Vacuum cleaning and sprinkling of water on all roads.

- Focus a team on decreasing the dust from construction sites, outside houses, parks and generator gases.

- A lot of air and truck sprinkling of water everywhere.

- Controlled burning at the landfill sites using piping and venting to reduce uncontrolled toxic emissions at source

- Obtain methane gas and covering of landfills with inert material and alum sludge from water treatment plants

- The vacuum cleaning of roads. Jet pressure pump technique should be used for water sprinkling on footpath edges, road bumps and central verges. This can control dust particles.

- Install new mist fountains and air purifiers like Punjab did important traffic intersections and busy shopping mall areas.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom