What's new

Thousands clash with Chinese police in Chongqing district of Wansheng

EjazR

Reaction score
Thousands clash with Chinese police in Chongqing district of Wansheng | World news | guardian.co.uk

Order was being restored after thousands of people clashed with police in a district of Chongqing that is struggling economically, a local official said.

The incident began at the same time late on Tuesday that state media announced the expulsion of Bo Xilai, former party chief of the city, from the party's ruling circle, and the arrest of his wife, Gu Kailai, who is suspected of involvement in the alleged murder of British businessman Neil Heywood.

The Chongqing official, speaking anonymously, said there was no connection between the two events. But the incident reflects the challenges local governments face as three decades of rapid economic expansion have left uneven growth.

The official said Wansheng district, where the clashes happened, is running out of mining resources and trying to modernise its economy. But its economic problems become more pronounced after it was merged into neighbouring Qijiang county earlier this year, said the official, who like many Chinese officials did not want to give his name.

The official said after the merger "the economy in Wansheng was affected and residents have become upset". The merged region has more than 1 million people.

One witness from Wansheng, Liu Wei, said businesses and schools were closed in the area on Wednesday. Liu said Wansheng residents were unhappy because some benefits, such as pensions and some teacher salaries, were reduced after the merger.

The Chongqing government posted a statement on its website saying the city would safeguard pensions and medical benefits for Wansheng residents. It also said Wansheng would enjoy the same favourable policies as it did before the merger.

The names of Wansheng, Qijiang and Chongqing were blocked on popular microblog sites on Wednesday, but some bloggers were able to upload photos reportedly taken from Wansheng that showed streets full of thousands of protesters and swarms of riot police, plus images of some people with blood-covered faces.

A banner in one photo read: "I want to eat. Return Wansheng district to me."

That is so sad - but like all Chinese protests, this one too will lose steam.

This signals the beginning of the end of the Han dynasty!! :cheesy: :toast_sign:

That is so sad - but like all Chinese protests, this one too will lose steam.
At least they are protesting for their rights unlike India where there are more poor people then entire Africa - India is Nigeria of Asia.
800px-Percentage_population_living_on_less_than_%241.25_per_day_2009.svg.png

At least they are protesting for their rights unlike India where there are more poor people then entire Africa - India is Nigeria of Asia.
800px-Percentage_population_living_on_less_than_%241.25_per_day_2009.svg.png
What has being poor got to do with being able to express your opinion?
OK we got poor people, and they have the freedom to express themselves and they are strong and proud people.
Now tell me if the same is true even with rich people in countries that don't have democracy?

OK we got poor people, and they have the freedom to express themselves and they are strong and proud people.
Now tell me if the same is true even with rich people in countries that don't have democracy?

There are almost no countries that would waste resources in making sure everyone's opinion is in support of the state.

Every country however tracks down the handful of dedicated troublemakers.

And then they says only Indians diverts the topic.... Elite troll this time..

Man India is no where in the article... but if someone post even a failure of rocket in China our respected members`ll come here with poverty of India...

@ topic .. Protesting by people is not bad cos country is for people not for rulers..

And then they says only Indians diverts the topic.... Elite troll this time..

Man India is no where in the article... but if someone post even a failure of rocket in China our respected members`ll come here with poverty of India...

@ topic .. Protesting by people is not bad cos country is for people not for rulers..

I never said its bad. This is a great protest and I support the protesters in spirit, however, I think they're wrong in that if they succeeded, they'll be worse off, but I'm not one to tell them that.

Democracy in India and the reality in the ground level over there have huge differences. Media and all others are drawing an image for Indians to think that they have got "Freedom & Democracy" and some other countries haven't.

Poor Percentage & Economic status of India...

Every Indian member here tell that they have got strong economy etc etc. YEP, it's true! But why India failed to address the living standard of majority of it's people. Don't you guyz feel is there something wrong in somewhere if u compare the countries in the pic?

UXcem.jpg
[/IMG]

Democracy in India and the reality in the ground level over there have huge differences. Media and all others are drawing an image for Indians to think that they have got "Freedom & Democracy" and some other countries haven't.

Poor Percentage & Economic status of India...

Every Indian member here tell that they have strong economy etc etc. YEP, it's true! But why India failed to address the living standard majority of it's people. Don't you guyz feel is there something wrong in somewhere if u compare the countries in the pic?

UXcem.jpg
[/IMG]

got it.... now can you say some thing on topic....

or only India is buzzing in head?

got it.... now can you say some thing on topic....

or only India is buzzing in head?

On Topic: thousands-clash-chinese-police-chongqing-district-wansheng....

People are protesting, so they have freedom to protest in their country. Normal feature in a country....;)

The caste system can protect their rights of free speech

Back
Top Bottom