What's new

Thin-skinned Indians can't take jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndoClock

BANNED
Reaction score
This article pretty much describes most of the Indians in PDF.

-------

The expressions of hurt and outrage in India that followed recent jokes by late-night comedian Jay Leno and the hosts of the BBC program "Top Gear," along with treason charges against a cartoonist, have sparked a debate here: Is the nation too thin-skinned to take a joke?

Leno ruffled feathers while poking fun at Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's wealth. The host of NBC's "The Tonight Show" mentioned the former Massachusetts governor's summer home as he showed a picture of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, considered the Sikhs' most sacred site.

This followed an episode of the auto show "Top Gear" in which host Jeremy Clarkson and his colleagues drove around India making jokes about Indian food, clothes, sanitation and trains. In one scene, they ride through a slum in an aging Jaguar with a toilet fitted into its trunk, a play on India's reputation for "Delhi belly."

When the jokes made headlines in India, however, many weren't amused.

Responding to the Leno joke, India's foreign minister threatened to lodge a formal protest with U.S. authorities. Indian American plaintiff Randeep Dhillon filed a lawsuit against Leno in Los Angeles County Superior Court, contending that the skit "falsely portrays the holiest place in the Sikh religion as a vacation resort owned by a non-Sikh." Online petitions sprang up. And an Indian American group in New York filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission.

"Making fun of the gods is no joke," said Gurnam Singh, president of a Sikh-dominated political party in the northwestern state of Punjab. "If he doesn't apologize, we will file a case against him just like Randeep Dhillon did."

After the "Top Gear" episode aired, the Indian Embassy in London called for an apology and condemned the program as insensitive and "replete with cheap jibes, tasteless humor."

In another development, political cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, 25, was charged in January with treason and insulting Indian national sentiments by the western state of Maharashtra after cartoons critical of the government appeared on a website. The charges carry a three-year jail sentence and heavy fines.

"Are all Western countries clean? Which Western country does not have problems?" said Chandra Shekhar Rai, a top official in the nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party. "And if a cartoonist can't decide where to draw the line, the authorities will have to take charge, not only banning them but jailing them."

Although some of the jokes may be uninformed or in poor taste, critics say India's tendency to react strongly to relatively minor perceived slights can ultimately focus more attention on the issue and dent its international reputation.

"It really embarrasses me that Indians should be so chippy," said Tavleen Singh, an author and columnist. "I'm a Sikh, but when I was growing up, we were among the most confident of Indians. We're used to Sikh jokes, many by Sikhs, about turbans, the whole works. This is nonsense."

Columnist Soumya Bhattacharya, writing in Sunday's Hindustan Times newspaper, described Indians as dour and touchy people who often find it hard to see humor in a situation.

"If only the British had left behind, along with a rail network, more of their sense of irony and self-deprecation," Bhattacharya wrote.

Some in India wonder whether their countrymen can take a joke - latimes.com

If I cracked jokes using stereotypes of Jews, I'd be called an anti-semite and lose my job. Why isn't the same standard applied to jokes about Indians?

:tdown:

Cheap generalization. some random religious organisation makes fuss and there you go Indians can't take joke remark.

Same thing could be said in the case Anti-Semitic Anti-Black accusations people and organisations commonly make in the US.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

:wave: You have just proved my point. Can we measure your skin thinness? You know, for science.

When have criticism come into picture in the article?

i sometimes feel the Chinese post and say things just for the heck of it.

I think we Indians have become intolerant, also the news media blowing normal things way out of proportion, a common man does not understand it context.
Hardly anybody knows jay leno, people cant understand the background of the news item.

:wave: You have just proved my point. Can we measure your skin thinness? You know, for science.

When have criticism come into picture in the article?

Must all your posts be dumb ? Make an effort to make some sense please

Not long time back, some body made a Cartoon in Denmark and a very large population of the world got offended by it.. Was that a case of Thin Skin OP or not? I guess what you want to convey here is that we should not stop people cracking such jokes.

Must all your posts be dumb ? Make an effort to make some sense please

Must all your posts be so sour and offensive?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Not long time back, some body made a Cartoon in Denmark and a very large population of the world got offended by it.. Was that a case of Thin Skin OP or not?

I see. So Carson driving through Indian slum and making notes is a religious matter for India.

Must all your posts be so sour and offensive?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I see. So Carson driving through Indian slum and making notes is a religious matter for India.

Do you even know the meaning of offensive ? And who is Carson ? It is Clarkson you stupid :lol:

Not completely true. I have many Indian friends, but they are more like followers. They view me as their leader since I teach them English and bring them out to socialize. I frequently call them 'curry heads' and they just laugh.

When they dance, they hop up and down like frogs and swing their arms all over the place while looking angry. Everybody always just looks on like it's a show or something and many times they would be called names but they don't seem to mind. These "curry heads" have thicker skin than you'd think.

Your thread is about one more thing :-

Display of Golden Temple as a Palace of Mitt Romney - Which is definitely a religious issue or is it not? How about him residing in Mecca or Holy Temple in Jerusalem? I will see the reaction if somebody try that sometime..

Yes, I got offended by it even though I am not a Sikh..

Hypocrites of the worst level is all I am seeing here.

everyone is thin skinned at one level or other.....

chinese are thin skinned when it comes to nobel prize....muslims are thin skinned when it comes to a drawing.....

so move on....

everyone is thin skinned at one level or other.....

chinese are thin skinned when it comes to nobel prize....muslims are thin skinned when it comes to a drawing.....

so move on....

Indians and thin skinned? are u kidding me?

Goodness gracious me
Russel peters
Sanjeev Bhaskar
i can post names but the important point is , All the Indian comedians' main subject is India-culture-people.

And don't even get me started with comedians in the Indian languages. it's makes a ******* book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom