What's new

Theories on Pakistan's origins

mujahideen

Reaction score

Saturday, February 02, 2008
Ishtiaq Ahmed

The official position on the origin of Pakistan is something like this: Muslims are expected to lead their lives in accordance with comprehensive Islamic injunctions. For doing that, an Islamic polity is imperative. Hence Indian Muslims were bound to demand a separate state for themselves whenever an opportunity arose. The end of British colonialism provided such an opportunity and the Muslims whole-heartedly responded to the call for a separate Muslim state on the Indian subcontinent. Some versions of such theorising locate the origins of Pakistan in the arrival of the Arabs in the subcontinent in 711. Islam and Hinduism, it is argued, represent two diametrically opposite worldviews. Therefore partition was inevitable.

Another set of theories can be called 'cultural-geographical theories'. We are told that six thousand years a distinct civilisation evolved around the Indus River and its various tributaries (roughly corresponding to the present territories of Pakistan) and remained separate for most of those six thousand years from the one centred on the Indo-Gangetic plains of Northern India. The sharp contrast between them being that the Indus Valley Civilisation evolved a liberal and egalitarian ethos deriving from the influence of various unorthodox creeds and movements which during the Muslim period were blended into the mystical forms of Sufi Islam, while the rest of India was organized into an hierarchical and rigid social system which found its ultimate perfection in the Hindu caste system. Hence, when the British withdrew from South Asia the Muslims of the Indus Valley Civilisation chose to separate from the rest of India. Such a theory it may be noted has no room for East Pakistan being part of Pakistan.

Another cluster of theories deriving from Marxism, look upon the movement for Pakistan as a democratic mass movement of the oppressed Muslim community against the dominant Hindu majority. Here, emphasis is given to the head start that Hindus and Sikhs enjoyed in taking to modern education in the schools established by the British. The Muslims lagged behind and consequently the non-Muslims captured the main sectors of the emerging capitalist economy. In particular the overwhelmingly Muslim agrarian classes including various categories of peasants were deeply indebted to the Hindu and Sikh money-lenders. An ideology of popular, egalitarian Islam attracted Muslims from all segments of society and therefore the establishment of Pakistan was the culmination of a protracted struggle to liberate Muslims from the yoke of Hindu-Sikh domination.

The most famous of these Marxist theories is the one put forth by the late Hamza Alavi. He asserted that the most ardent supporters of the idea of Pakistan were not the ulema but the Muslim salariat. The salariat comprised the sizable body of modern-educated Muslims who perceived that the creation of Pakistan would drastically improve their chances of finding employment with the state than if they were not to remain a part of a united India dominated by the more economically and educationally advanced Hindu majority. Thus, it is argued, Pakistan was not established out of confessional zeal but secular concerns of the salariat.

Alavi, however, never at any stage studied the actual dynamics of the Pakistan movement after the Lahore resolution of 1940. Therefore he was completely oblivious of the fact that the Muslim League made its breakthrough in the Punjab and NWFP only when it won over the Barelvi ulema and pirs. There is solid evidence to prove that Jinnah assured the ulema that the Shariah will apply to Muslims in Pakistan.

Theories based on high politics deriving from the role of individuals in the making of history, identify the role of Mohamed Ali Jinnah as pivotal and decisive to the creation of Pakistan. Without his towering leadership, it is asserted, the movement of Pakistan would not have succeeded. No only his lieutenants and followers are portrayed as political pygmies but even his adversaries with the exception of Gandhi, perhaps, are considered light-weights. Some theories suggest that Jinnah never actually wanted the division of India and sought at most a fair share of power for Muslims in a united India and it was the Congress leaders who spurned his overtures for an accommodation within a loose federation and instead precipitated the partition because they wanted to rule India through a powerful centre. Ayesha Jalal is the main proponent of this variant of the role of individuals in history.

Other theories identify the fear of the Muslim upper classes of domination by Hindus. It is asserted that upper class Muslim leaders were not willing to accept a junior role for themselves in united India. Muslims had ruled India for more than 600 years and they could not understand why under a democratic system they should be deprived of power and influence. The veteran Khalid bin Sayeed champions such a theory.

Some theories identify a British hand in the creation of Pakistan. It has been suggested that the British were keen to use Pakistan as a base for their geopolitical and geo-economic designs in South Asia. In this regard, in a meeting held on May 12 1947 in London the chiefs of staff of various branches of the British armed forces and in the presence of Field Marshal Montgomery and Lord Ismay, it was observed:

'From the strategic point of view there were overwhelming arguments in favour of Western Pakistan remaining within the Commonwealth, namely, that we should obtain important strategic facilities, the port of Karachi, air bases and the support of the Moslem manpower in the future… A refusal of an application to this end would amount to ejecting loyal people from the British Commonwealth, and would probably lose us all chances of ever getting strategic facilities anywhere in India…. From a military point of view, such a result would be catastrophic' (Mansergh, N and Moon, P (eds), The Transfer of Power 1942-47, vol. 10. pp. 791-2).

Whatever the explanation for the origins of Pakistan, it is imperative that it becomes a state in which the rule of law and social justice prevail. For the Pakistani nation, the challenge is to look forward and not backwards.

The writer is a professor of political science and a visiting senior research fellow at the Institute of South Asian Studies (ISAS), National University of Singapore. Email: isasia@nus.edu.sg

In a multi ethnic country, the Parliament is more representative of the ethnic balance since people are voted by the ethnic population of a constituency.

The Ministry does not have to carry the same representation since running a country is done by having the best people in the cabinet.

If representation was the criterion, then Mr Jinnah would not have selected Md Zafarullah Khan as the Foreign Minister of Pakistan ( a very important and critical appointment of a country) since he was an Ahmediyya, an Islamic sect that is not recognised as Moslem, and as per P2bP, Pakistan is but a totally Moslem and Islamic country.

Therefore, by the logic of "domination" being propounded, it would mean that a "non Moslem" was handed over the critical appointment when in actuality it should have gone to a person of a community dominating the Pakistani scene!

The contention is thus misplaced that any one community should dominate in the Ministry of a democracy, and such a statement indicates ignorance of the working of a democratic system.

Very true in its technical sense, but Pakistan is a Islamic Country and the laws are to be made on the basis of Islam and as per the ideology of Islamic Naiton the command of a Islamic State should be in the hand of Only a Muslim!

Very true in its technical sense, but Pakistan is a Islamic Country and the laws are to be made on the basis of Islam and as per the ideology of Islamic Naiton the command of a Islamic State should be in the hand of Only a Muslim!

And yet it was in the hands of an Ahmediya!

And Jinnah had said:

We should begin to work in that spirit and in course of time all these angularities of the majority and minority communities, the Hindu community and the Muslim community – because even as regards Muslims you have Pathans, Punjabis, Shias, Sunnis and so on and among the Hindus you have Brahmins, Vashnavas, Khatris, also Bengalees, Madrasis, and so on – will vanish. Indeed if you ask me this has been the biggest hindrance in the way of India to attain the freedom and independence and but for this we would have been free peoples long long ago. No power can hold another nation, and specially a nation of 400 million souls in subjection; nobody could have conquered you, and even if it had happened, nobody could have continued its hold on you for any length of time but for this. Therefore, we must learn a lesson from this. You are free; you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other place of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed – that has nothing to do with the business of the State. As you know, history shows that in England conditions, some time ago, were much worse than those prevailing in India today. The Roman Catholics and the Protestants persecuted each other. Even now there are some State in existence where there are discriminations made and bars imposed against a particular class. Thank God, we are not starting in those days. We are starting in the days when there is no discrimination, no distinction between one community and another, no discrimination between one caste or creed and another. We are starting with this fundamental principle that we are all citizens and equal citizens of one State. The people of England in course of time had to face the realities of the situation and had to discharge the responsibilities and burdens placed upon them by the government of their country and they went through that fire step by step. Today, you might say with justice that Roman Catholics and Protestants do no exist; what exists now is that every man is a citizen, an equal citizen of Great Britain and they are all members of the Nation.

Now, I think we should keep that in front of us as our ideal and you will find that in course of time Hindus would cease to be Hindus and Muslims would cease to be Muslims, not in the religious sense, because that is the personal faith of each individual, but in the political sense as citizens of the State.

But, of course, you know more than Mr Md Ali Jinnah!

But was it not he and his ideals that brought about Pakistan?

Have you forgotten him also?

Friend, it is people with your mindset who are deluding themselves and totally deviating from the visions of its Founding Father.

It is bigoted thoughts of people like you who make others worry if Pakistan is stable or not or if its nukes are safe or not.

There are millions of sane Pakistanis, but the handful of your desperate ( for the want of a better word) mindset that is making a perfectly normal country appear abnormal and dangerous! A very sad commentary that is being most unhelpful to the remainder of Pakistanis who are as good as any human being or citizens of any country in the world!

Tone down!

I would like to add that Mr Jinnah was confident of himself and his identity and so he could make this bold address. He was not searching for an identity!

It is those who are unsure of themselves are the ones who tomtom their contrived singularity, more so, to convince themselves as they start losing faith owing to the reality not being what they want it to be! And they fail to realise that they alone are responsible for the crisis of confidence by their bigotry and seeking alien cultures as their own and hence going into a vortex of an identity crisis!

That Pakistan is a Moslem majority country, none can have any doubt since the statistics are there for all to see. One does not have to mention it time and again unless one himself is having some doubts!

Moslem majority or otherwise, one cannot forget what Mr Jinnah had said either. Those who opted for Pakistan are as good or as bad a citizen as you or any other. Mr Jinnah has guaranteed the equality of all and he is the Founder. You are but only a beneficiary of his munificence and you do not have the vision of Mr Jinnah either!

Thank Mr Jinnah for your identity and try to follow his sagacious advice!

Don't try to attempt to be the second coming of Mr Jinnah. You don't have his intellectual prowess!

I respect MR. Jinnah (our Quaid) as the founder of Pakistan!

Pakistan was made for the Muslims of Subscontinent and no one should have any doubt about that.

For those who say Muslims donot correspond to Islam!

I can only say, " one needs a mind for Interpretation of any text!"

I think its kiddish to say that reason of animosity is nationalism. Nationalism doesnt create hatred between "US" and "them" .
Pakistani intelegensia has struggled to find the reason and the origin of this haterd in their heart for India, and your Faith can give you some glimpse of this animosity .
But i think the reason of Origin of Pakistan can reflect on this hatred .

It has more to do with Islamic superiority complex .
being weaker then a Pagan country which they have ruled for generations is against the comprehension of Land of Purist

I don't think that you can ignore nationalism - yes, religion is part of how Pakistanis define the "distinctness" of Pakistan from India, but among a lot of Pakistanis, such as myself, for whom religion remains something personal, our "animosity" ("friendly competition" would be more apt, since we don't want to see either country blow the other up, but do relish the "competition" in various spheres) is based primarily on nationalism - of being "Pakistani", and not Muslim.

For other Pakistanis the identity is linked and primarily dependent upon religion, and the concept of being a Muslim country is the "identity". For yet others it is a hybrid - religion doesn't define "Pakistaniat", but it is a part of it.

The article mentions several "theories" on the "origins" (in some sense, the "identity" of Pakistan) - the truth is that most of them are true - it just depends on who you ask. The Pakistani identity is in flux, and evolving. In a way the evolution of identity and changes in society happen in every nation - the role of religion in US society, the evolution in European nations etc.

We have an entire generation that grew up under Zia's "Islamic State Legacy". Currently that particular undercurrent is dominant, but under Musharraf the curriculum has been changed to recognize and present Pakistan's pre-Islamic history like it never has before, and with liberal media and technology permeating everywhere and allowing people to interact with and view moderate/liberal values, who knows how this generation is going to change, and how it will shape future ones.

The Pakistani identity will continue to evolve.

P2BP:

Muslim corresponds to Islam in the sense that if you are Muslim, then Islam is your religion. I fail to see how that translates to "If you are Muslim then your Government is to be based on religion". I think you could argue that since religion is to be a force for good, and a nation cannot have laws that promote unethical or immoral acts, then therefore a nation (its constitution) cannot contradict religion. But take the US constitution - how is it counter to anything that Islam advocates, even though it is a "non-Islamic" constitution and state?

In fact I remember reading an article by Jonathan Power (I think), in which he recounted a visit to rural Syria, and met with an Islamic scholar who said that the US constitution is probably the best expression of what an "Islamic constitution" should look like....

I don't think that you can ignore nationalism -
l[/url]
Dear Agno.. As i Said Nationalism doesnt create hatred .. I dont hate USA or China . I may have disagreement on certain topics and issues but no hatred .
So remove nationalism as the reason for this animosity .

our "animosity" ("friendly competition" would be more apt, since we don't want to see either country blow the other up,

Dear Agno ,
I respect your intentions and your maturity , but you are a rare gem .. the reality is otherwise ..
First - India or Pakistan is not few individuals .. its an Idea .. as everything about human life is .. intangible fantasy which we have created . you belive in something which I dont ..
and belive me with so much death and destruction .. so much killings doesn't show this Friendly competition . however hard we try to hide it .. I have always tried my best , not to get in discussion about islam . but the truth is Its Pakistan which has not accepted India .. India has accepted Pakistan .

For other Pakistanis the identity is linked and primarily dependent upon religion, and the concept of being a Muslim country is the "identity". For yet others it is a hybrid - religion doesn't define "Pakistaniat", but it is a part of it.
Agno , Pakistanis cant even accpet there history .. and their past ..
the Sylabus books of Pakistan are good example of that narrow mindedness..
Jinnah is dead .. and his Idea of Pakistan is dead with him .. see around yourself and you will realise for majority Pakisaniat is only Islam

The article you mentioned quotes several "theories" on the "identity" of Pakistan - the truth is that all of them are true - it just depends on who you ask. The Pakistani identity is in flux, and evolving. In a way the evolution of identity and changes in society happen in every nation - the role of religion in US society, the evolution in European nations etc.

yes that article shows the struggle to find out and to prove the identity .. the reason and the meaning of Pakistan .. but US and europeans societies are evolving while Pakistaniat is struggling to understand what it represent ? - Jinnah's liberal Islamic Pakistan or Pakistan of Taliban amd Red Mosque

There is a thread on that article here, and rather than hijack this thread onto that discussion, if you respond, lets continue it there.

Agno ,
I am not trying to hijack this discussion.
you are a mature person , and i think you understand better then anyone else that .. nothing in this universe is Isolated .
I will give you two examples .
If Atmospheric Pressure becomes lower . this civilisation will end because our blood pressure will rupture our veins
If Mr Smith from California Fails to Pay his home Loan , the whole world market crashed with millions of Dollar loss ..

But its ok .. ppl dont understand this and you can see that in my Reputation Lol .. I have been marked as infamous .

Logic Note,

Thank you for the compliment. I disagree with how you substantiate the presence of this overwhelming "hate" between India and Pakistan, or at least how you suggest that it is prevalent amongst the majority and what "defines" it. Nations go to war even when the religion might be the same - that has happened throughout history. Your argument of religion, and not nationalism, being responsible for "hate" is belied by the the historical animosity between the French and the British - it is belied by the tremendous amount of respect Pakistanis hold for China.

I am not denying that religion does not play any role, indeed P2BP seems to be someone for whom the "distrust" is primarily religious in nature (at least vis a vis India), but there also seem to be quite a few number of people who disagree with his premise on this forum - which leads to the point I made earlier, that the identity of Pakistan isn't "Islam" for all Pakistanis, though it may be for very many, and even when the identity is defined by Islam, it isn't always responsible for the animosity between our nations, nor has religion been responsible for the wars between us - it has always been territory, and a fear on both sides that the other has not accepted the existence of ones nation.

You are not the first Indian who has voiced the thought that "India has accepted Pakistan while Pakistan has not reciprocated the favor". Guess what - A lot of Pakistanis hold the exact same view about India. There may not be much truth in the view of either side, or it may be that there are sections of the population in both nations that do hold those views, but it is extremely presumptuous for any one on either side to suggest that it is solely the other who has not "accepted the existence of ones nation". The distrust and anger is present in both countries, and only time and a comprehensive peace will settle those issues and assuage that sentiment.

I also disagree with your contention that US and European societies are evolving while Pakistan is not - the search for an identity is part of the evolution of Pakistani society. A similar debate, on the "Christian nature" of America rages on in the US. It was not that long ago that those who argued in favor of America being a "Christian nation" would have been a majority. Pakistan is going through the same evolution, but our discourse has been affected by the geo-political peculiarities of our region. I think where you go astray is by applying the US/European (or even Indian) template on Pakistan to judge its progress and evolution. We are a different people, a different culture, with a different set of circumstances to deal with, and therefore our progress will be different - both in degree and manner.

You also err, IMO, when you allege the "rejection of history" by referencing Pakistani curriculum. It could be argued that the lack of a democratic voice, and the preoccupation with external and other threats and priorities during the short periods we did possess that voice, led to people like Zia imposing their version of Pakistan on the majority. Musharraf has changed that, as has been pointed out repeatedly, by changing the curriculum, and perhaps the next government will continue those changes. This is Pakistani society evolving!

Logic Note,

Thank you for the compliment. I disagree with how you substantiate the presence of this overwhelming "hate" between India and Pakistan, or at least how you suggest that it is prevalent amongst the majority and what "defines" it. Nations go to war even when the religion might be the same - that has happened throughout history. Your argument of religion, and not nationalism, being responsible for "hate" is belied by the the historical animosity between the French and the British - it is belied by the tremendous amount of respect Pakistanis hold for China.!

You are most Welcome Agno
War and Hatred are different things . War between two nations can happen for various reasons and hatred may or may not be the reason for it .
the nationalism in European Countries specially in Medieval times was more about Pride, freedom and National Ego ..
In comparison the hatred towards India in Pakistan is worrisome because it is the Educated class which drives it ..
they are ready to perish themselves , just to harm India and it is the religious motivation which drives that hatred .

I also disagree with your contention that US and European societies are evolving while Pakistan is not - the search for an identity is part of the evolution of Pakistani society.

is Struggle to understand self ( even after 60 years ) is a starting part of evolution ?may be -- ( from the point of view of a Pakistani)
for others Evolution starts when we have understood self and decided , which path and which destination we shall take . there will be few different opinions but in minority

I think where you go astray is by applying the US/European (or even Indian) template on Pakistan to judge its progress and evolution. We are a different people, a different culture, with a different set of circumstances to deal with, and therefore our progress will be different - both in degree and manner.

but my dear friend in the intial paragraph you have asked pakistan to be judged by the same yardstick , as of other nations like England , France and USA .
Humanity is same in every part of World . culture is what we choose . yes cutlure shapes the intellect of a nation but again its the collective intellect of a nation which makes the culture in first place so in a way its people who shapes the culture and in turn shapes other People .

You also err, IMO, when you allege the "rejection of history" by referencing Pakistani curriculum. It could be argued that the lack of a democratic voice, and the preoccupation with external and other threats and priorities during the short periods we did possess that voice, led to people like Zia imposing their version of Pakistan on the majority. Musharraf has changed that, as has been pointed out repeatedly, by changing the curriculum, and perhaps the next government will continue those changes. This is Pakistani society evolving!

How can you say that I err when you agree that Syllabus was changed (whatever the reason or the force was )
Evolution s march towards progress .. towards Positive ..
is this happening in Pakistan ? it is stagnant .. from its initial years to its present the problems are same .. dictatorship , Anti India mentality , Religious fundamentalism ..

You are most Welcome Agno
War and Hatred are different things . War between two nations can happen for various reasons and hatred may or may not be the reason for it .
the nationalism in European Countries specially in Medieval times was more about Pride, freedom and National Ego ..
In comparison the hatred towards India in Pakistan is worrisome because it is the Educated class which drives it ..
they are ready to perish themselves , just to harm India and it is the religious motivation which drives that hatred .

You are correct that war and hatred are different things - my reference to the wars between Indian and Pakistan was to offer some material, verifiable manifestation of that "hate". Obviously my contention is that the overwhelming reason behind those wars has been animosity due to unresolved territorial disputes, and suspicions on both sides that the other has not accepted them. Which then means that the wars are not a sign that there is irrational hate present.

Now if you move away from wars and talk about the presence of "hate", I would argue that my experience suggests that it is by no means exclusive to Pakistanis - in fact a week or so ago I addressed a post to Salim in another forum berating the "hate" expressed by Indian posters (who by all means come across as quite "educated") there, and I expressed a similar disillusionment about the future of our two nations when such "hate" was prevalent. Salim's answer made sense:

The reality is different from the internet, is all I would say!

I agree it will take time, but one day sense will prevail on both sides!

There is nothing to suggest that the "hate" is more prevalent in Pakistan than India, or that it even exists among a majority of the people of either country. When you look at the reasons, among the Pakistanis who do express "hate", bar the loony fundoos (who we are trying to eliminate as well), people will attribute that "hate" not to religion, but the fact that it is India that wants to destroy Pakistan, that she has never accepted Pakistan, and that the lingering territorial disputes are proof of that. The basis here isn't religion, though it is worked into the mix, the basis is our past history and disputes.
is Struggle to understand self ( even after 60 years ) is a starting part of evolution ?may be -- ( from the point of view of a Pakistani)
for others Evolution starts when we have understood self and decided , which path and which destination we shall take . there will be few different opinions but in minority

The struggle to understand self never ceases in my opinion - it is an integral part of evolution, and I would argue that this "strugge" continues in Western societies today as well - in different forms. Within the US the struggle for self continues with the tug of war between "Christians" and "secularists", or over how far the separation of Church and State extends. Within Europe I would argue that while religion seems to have been accepted as not having a role to play in the functioning of the State, struggles over racism and hatred towards immigrants continue.
but my dear friend in the intial paragraph you have asked pakistan to be judged by the same yardstick , as of other nations like England , France and USA .
Humanity is same in every part of World . culture is what we choose . yes cutlure shapes the intellect of a nation but again its the collective intellect of a nation which makes the culture in first place so in a way its people who shapes the culture and in turn shapes other People .
My reference to the animosity between the French and British is only to point out to you that "hate" and "violence" can exist even when religion is not an overwhelming issue - and it is resolved when common interests converge, as we see happening in Europe. It is not meant to be evidence that the animosity between India and Pakistan is similar to the examples presented, though it could be.

I am not suggesting that you apply the same yardstick as the French, etc. what I am pointing out is that when it comes to the animosity between India and Pakistan, you suggested that "nationalism" could not account for that sort of hate between the two, and I pointed out in my example that such "hate" could indeed exist in the absence of overwhelming religious fervor.

The example of the US is not meant to "apply" to Pakistan, it is only to counter your assertion that those nations have moved on from their "struggles to understand self", and that such struggles are indeed a part of "societal evolution".

I agree with your comments on culture, and I would argue that as people change, interact, evolve, "struggle to understand self" (all of which is happening in Pakistanis, and in Indians) culture changes and evolves, and you see those changes reflected in government, and in the laws of a nation, and therefore the "identity" of a nation is also constantly evolving.

How can you say that I err when you agree that Syllabus was changed (whatever the reason or the force was )
Evolution s march towards progress .. towards Positive ..
is this happening in Pakistan ? it is stagnant .. from its initial years to its present the problems are same .. dictatorship , Anti India mentality , Religious fundamentalism ..

What I understood from your argument was that one sign of the "hate" prevalent in Pakistanis towards India was the textbooks - I argued that the content of the curriculum cannot be used as validation for that argument because it was imposed upon Pakistanis by dictators. You may argue that Musharraf is simply another dictator so the current change does not say anything about today's Pakistanis either - but Musharraf chose to put these changes in the hands of politicians (something we criticized him for since we would rather he forced such changes onto the country) - the curriculum was vetted by the political parties - opposed by the MMA and supported by his own "conservative" PML-Q and the PPP - and because of that one could argue that in this case the curriculum has the support of a majority of Pakistanis.

Even if one were to accept that the previous curriculum had the support of Pakistanis at the time, the fact that it has now changed indicates that Pakistani society and Pakistanis have evolved beyond those attitudes -and that too counters your argument of "unilateral hate" among Pakistanis.

Indeed what I consider troubling is that the "hateful" attitudes amongst Indians that I have come across, equal to those amongst Pakistanis I have observed, exist despite an avowed "Secular India" and a "secular curriculum" which is indeed troubling since it would indicate that even secular education has failed to moderate attitudes. But on the other hand, it fits perfectly with my contention that these attitudes are driven primarily by nationalism and not religion.

Evolution in societies and nations takes place in different spheres - within culture, within the economy, within Government - our lack of a democratic tradition is indeed one facet of our nation that can be pointed out as a stagnation of sorts, but a lack of progress on one front does not indicate that Pakistan has not evolved at all, or that this lack of progress was not directly or indirectly influenced by policies, events and circumstances not in the control of Pakistan - it only means that we must continue to struggle to discover our democratic voice.

I think too many people incorrectly point to the lack of Democracy in Pakistan as a sign of no progress or a lack of evolution - I will therefore reiterate; The form of Government in a nation is only one facet of its evolution.

Saturday, February 02, 2008
Ishtiaq Ahmed

The official position on the origin of Pakistan is something like this: Muslims are expected to lead their lives in accordance with comprehensive Islamic injunctions. For doing that, an Islamic polity is imperative. Hence Indian Muslims were bound to demand a separate state for themselves whenever an opportunity arose. The end of British colonialism provided such an opportunity and the Muslims whole-heartedly responded to the call for a separate Muslim state on the Indian subcontinent. Some versions of such theorising locate the origins of Pakistan in the arrival of the Arabs in the subcontinent in 711. Islam and Hinduism, it is argued, represent two diametrically opposite worldviews. Therefore partition was inevitable.

Another set of theories can be called 'cultural-geographical theories'. We are told that six thousand years a distinct civilisation evolved around the Indus River and its various tributaries (roughly corresponding to the present territories of Pakistan) and remained separate for most of those six thousand years from the one centred on the Indo-Gangetic plains of Northern India. The sharp contrast between them being that the Indus Valley Civilisation evolved a liberal and egalitarian ethos deriving from the influence of various unorthodox creeds and movements which during the Muslim period were blended into the mystical forms of Sufi Islam, while the rest of India was organized into an hierarchical and rigid social system which found its ultimate perfection in the Hindu caste system. Hence, when the British withdrew from South Asia the Muslims of the Indus Valley Civilisation chose to separate from the rest of India. Such a theory it may be noted has no room for East Pakistan being part of Pakistan.

Another cluster of theories deriving from Marxism, look upon the movement for Pakistan as a democratic mass movement of the oppressed Muslim community against the dominant Hindu majority. Here, emphasis is given to the head start that Hindus and Sikhs enjoyed in taking to modern education in the schools established by the British. The Muslims lagged behind and consequently the non-Muslims captured the main sectors of the emerging capitalist economy. In particular the overwhelmingly Muslim agrarian classes including various categories of peasants were deeply indebted to the Hindu and Sikh money-lenders. An ideology of popular, egalitarian Islam attracted Muslims from all segments of society and therefore the establishment of Pakistan was the culmination of a protracted struggle to liberate Muslims from the yoke of Hindu-Sikh domination.

The most famous of these Marxist theories is the one put forth by the late Hamza Alavi. He asserted that the most ardent supporters of the idea of Pakistan were not the ulema but the Muslim salariat. The salariat comprised the sizable body of modern-educated Muslims who perceived that the creation of Pakistan would drastically improve their chances of finding employment with the state than if they were not to remain a part of a united India dominated by the more economically and educationally advanced Hindu majority. Thus, it is argued, Pakistan was not established out of confessional zeal but secular concerns of the salariat.

Alavi, however, never at any stage studied the actual dynamics of the Pakistan movement after the Lahore resolution of 1940. Therefore he was completely oblivious of the fact that the Muslim League made its breakthrough in the Punjab and NWFP only when it won over the Barelvi ulema and pirs. There is solid evidence to prove that Jinnah assured the ulema that the Shariah will apply to Muslims in Pakistan.

Theories based on high politics deriving from the role of individuals in the making of history, identify the role of Mohamed Ali Jinnah as pivotal and decisive to the creation of Pakistan. Without his towering leadership, it is asserted, the movement of Pakistan would not have succeeded. No only his lieutenants and followers are portrayed as political pygmies but even his adversaries with the exception of Gandhi, perhaps, are considered light-weights. Some theories suggest that Jinnah never actually wanted the division of India and sought at most a fair share of power for Muslims in a united India and it was the Congress leaders who spurned his overtures for an accommodation within a loose federation and instead precipitated the partition because they wanted to rule India through a powerful centre. Ayesha Jalal is the main proponent of this variant of the role of individuals in history.

Other theories identify the fear of the Muslim upper classes of domination by Hindus. It is asserted that upper class Muslim leaders were not willing to accept a junior role for themselves in united India. Muslims had ruled India for more than 600 years and they could not understand why under a democratic system they should be deprived of power and influence. The veteran Khalid bin Sayeed champions such a theory.

Some theories identify a British hand in the creation of Pakistan. It has been suggested that the British were keen to use Pakistan as a base for their geopolitical and geo-economic designs in South Asia. In this regard, in a meeting held on May 12 1947 in London the chiefs of staff of various branches of the British armed forces and in the presence of Field Marshal Montgomery and Lord Ismay, it was observed:

'From the strategic point of view there were overwhelming arguments in favour of Western Pakistan remaining within the Commonwealth, namely, that we should obtain important strategic facilities, the port of Karachi, air bases and the support of the Moslem manpower in the future… A refusal of an application to this end would amount to ejecting loyal people from the British Commonwealth, and would probably lose us all chances of ever getting strategic facilities anywhere in India…. From a military point of view, such a result would be catastrophic' (Mansergh, N and Moon, P (eds), The Transfer of Power 1942-47, vol. 10. pp. 791-2).

Whatever the explanation for the origins of Pakistan, it is imperative that it becomes a state in which the rule of law and social justice prevail. For the Pakistani nation, the challenge is to look forward and not backwards.

The writer is a professor of political science and a visiting senior research fellow at the Institute of South Asian Studies (ISAS), National University of Singapore. Email: isasia@nus.edu.sg

Age wise, I am one of the oldest members. I have seen Pakistan since its creation and also read articles written by such early intellectuals such as Abdul Majid Salik, Maulana Zafar Ali Khan etc. Even had a chance to discuss many things with Faiz Ahmad Faiz in London during the early sixties. Think that my observations are closer to the reality than many new scholars who get their info from the secondary sources. IMO the situation is as under.

1. The idea the Muslims wanted a seperate homeland from the start is incorrect. Jamiat Ulemai Hind, a mainly Deobandi Jamaat was dead against the creation of Pakistan. Ali brothers were active in getting the British out of India but they were for a united India. So was Maulana Abul Kalaam Azad. Mulan Mohammed Ali Jauhar was actually president of the Congress for a long time with Nehru as the secretary. Mohammad Ali Jinnah himself was an active member of the Congress.

2. Until the 1930 Luknow declaration, there was not even a hint that a seperate homeland for the Muslims of India was on the cards. There is some truth in the assertion that creation of Muslim League had British support. British always believe in divide and rule. They must have theorized that creating a divide between the Hindus and the Muslims by supporting Muslim League; would create a schism between the two dominent religions of India and delay the Indian independence.

3. There is no truth in the fact that Muslim landlords were afraid of the Hindu domination. No doubt ML was founded by Nawab Mohsinul Mulk of Dacca and many prominent members were landlords. Think the reason is that only those people who were free from worries of earning the daily bread can afford to indulge in politics. Since most of the affluent Muslims were the landed gentry, they were also active in politics. Rich Muslims such as Agha Khan headed the ML for long periods as well lawyers. Law is the only profession where if successful, one has the time to devote to politics. There were no Muslim industrialists of note any way.

Largest number Muslim land owners were in Punjab and Sindh. Most of these such as the Tiwanas, Sir Sikandar Hayat etc belonged to the Unionist party and were against the division of India. Most of the prominent NWFP polity was always anti ML as they are to this day.

4. IMO, creating of Pakistan and idea of seperate homeland really germinated after 1930 and crystalized in 1940. Pakistan is truly a gift of Allah to the Muslims of British India. The partition came about despite very strong opposition of the mullahs. Until 1947 only a handful of the Islamic Scholars such as Maulana Sahbbir Ahmad Usmani were for the ML. Maulana Madani, the most wellknown scholar and Maudoodi were anti Pakistan and anti Quaid e Azam.

Pakistan was never meant to be a theocracy. Pakistan; as envisaged by the Quaid and founding fathers such Malik Feroz Khan Noon, Liaqat Ali Khan,
Suharwadri, Khawaja Nazimuddin, Mian Mumatz Daulatana, Nawab Mamdot, Pir Elahi Baksh, I. I. Chudrigar etc; was supposed to be a moderate Islamic state with equal opportunity for all of her citizens irrespective of their creed or religion. It would have remained so had it not been for the bigot Zia ( may he rot in hell for ever). If there was no Zia Pakistan would not be in the mess that we have now and we wouldnt have kalashinkov culture, drug mafia and even MQM.

Dear Agno
I will try to discuss all the point raised by you one by one .

Hatred - Yes there is dislike but not hatred , and this dislike is reactionary in nature .against the Moral and material support to Terrorist and Indian mafia .
( although the same elements have become a thorn for nations development in pakistan itself )

DAWN - Editorial; February 07, 2008

2. Struggle to understand self in Pakistan is very different from most of other nations . it is accpeted and being followed that seculirism , democracy and individuals right of personal freedom is the only way .
the "other" point of view that you mention is just a part of discussion and expression of certain ppl to express their opinion .. but they dont shape or influence the nations decision .
While in Pakistan these basic fundamentals are still crushed .. 60 years is a long time for any nations to decide , which path to be taken .

3. well if your agree to this basic philosophy that the present generation will make a culture which will shape the future generation.. then you can better understand ,, which generations shaped this generation of extremist Taliban and military dictators.

4. Yes India has right wing parties .. thats normal in any society .. but if your read their menefesto , you will relaise that they are not fighting for nation of One religion but for equal right for every indian irrespective of his religion .
it has been Proved during there reign in Power .
Unfortunatly India has differnt persoanl laws for ppl for diff religion and it has been misused .

5. Yes Pakistan has changed and you represent thats change .. certain part of its society has learned to look into "others Point of view" and fight for democracy .
but there victory will only be establshed when this openness will be taught to kids in Schools ( and not narrow mindedness universities and Madarassas)

6 . this narrowmindedness is part of Blind faith . and wether this is inherent nature of a religion or not is very important to deal and discuss , and is very bitter . this is resulting in struggle all over the globe .. from Iraq , Afganistan , FATA to SPain , London and Newyork . The outcome of this result will shape Pakistan and rest of the world.

4. IMO, creating of Pakistan and idea of seperate homeland really germinated after 1930 and crystalized in 1940. Pakistan is truly a gift of Allah to the Muslims of British India. The partition came about despite very strong opposition of the mullahs. Until 1947 only a handful of the Islamic Scholars such as Maulana Sahbbir Ahmad Usmani were for the ML. Maulana Madani, the most wellknown scholar and Maudoodi were anti Pakistan and anti Quaid e Azam.

Pakistan was never meant to be a theocracy. Pakistan; as envisaged by the Quaid and founding fathers such Malik Feroz Khan Noon, Liaqat Ali Khan,
Suharwadri, Khawaja Nazimuddin, Mian Mumatz Daulatana, Nawab Mamdot, Pir Elahi Baksh, I. I. Chudrigar etc; was supposed to be a moderate Islamic state with equal opportunity for all of her citizens irrespective of their creed or religion. It would have remained so had it not been for the bigot Zia ( may he rot in hell for ever). If there was no Zia Pakistan would not be in the mess that we have now and we wouldnt have kalashinkov culture, drug mafia and even MQM.

respected Sir
In my view These two last Paragraphs represnts the contradiction that present pakistan faces .
First you say that Pakistan was created for Muslims of India as a seperate homeland and then you say that it was never meant to be a theocracy .
if they belived in Secularism .. then why seperate land for relegious grp . and if it was a seperate land for a religious group then whats wrong when some ppl want to make it theocracy?

isnt that a contradiction ??

All your theories are good on Pakistan's origins. Now what are your theories on Pakistan's disintegration? Or are you just going to blame the infidels?

Back
Top Bottom