What's new

The Story Behind Pakistan's Feminism Of The 70s And 80s

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Story Behind Pakistan's Feminism Of The 70s And 80s

The first thing that comes to mind when speaking of Pakistan's society is definitely not feminism, or a history of feminism. But the country has a vast history of activism and women activists. The young women of Pakistan know Asma Jahangir and Mukhtar Mai, icons of women empowerment in the country, but not many know of the women who preceded them. India, too, isn't entirely well versed with its feminist history, but at least scores slightly better on the feminism prevalence scale than our neighbour at present.
Bolo Bhi's “The Women's Movement HerStory Project” aims to bring the focus back on women who started the movement for women's rights in Pakistan. As part of the project, Bolo Bhi interviewed feminist activists who fought for the rights that the modern Pakistani women enjoy today.
Activist Anis Haroon compares the activism and protests of today with those seen in Pakistan in the '80s. She says, “Now I look at the protests and it is surprising how thousands of women are part of rallies. They get cooked food, cranes accompany them, as the state just watches.”
403492786.jpg

In 1983, the Pakistan government passed the Law of Evidence, which stated that the testimony of two women in a lawsuit is equal to the testimony of one man. The passing of this draconian law sparked outrage across Pakistan and one of the consequences was an iconic protest on February 12th in Lahore by approximately 200 women, which garnered widespread global attention.
133698200.jpg

In an interview, which is part of the HERstory Project , Ms Haroon gives an eyewitness account of the protests and the illegitimate force the government used against the protesters. “Our protest had just 200-250 women. They had only papers in their hands, resolutions as we were protesting against the Law of Evidence. We wanted to submit an application in the Lahore High Court. That demonstration was met with the brutal force of the state. There was helmeted riot police, they baton-charged and tear-gassed us. The demonstration was forcibly broken up and women dragged and thrown into police vans and locked up in Kot Lakpat jail, Lahore.”
496563276.jpg

“The government was threatened by just 200-250 women, when this was a time of martial law and military control,” says Anis Haroon. “No dissent was tolerated but this crackdown made international news.” In commemoration of the day, February 12th is now celebrated as Pakistan's Women's Day.
Chairperson of the Shirkat Gah , a leading women's rights organisation operating across Pakistan, Hilda Saeed spoke to Bolo Bhi about Fahmida Allah Baksh and the infamous Hudood Ordinance passed by Zia ul Haq's government, which brought back the archaic punishments for whipping, amputation, and stoning to death, and made adultery and fornication criminal offences.
83916572.png

In 1981, 18-year-old Fahmida's parents lodged an FIR against her and her husband, Allah Baksh, saying their marriage is illegal. This was the first case filed under the Hudood Ordinance and the Shirkat Gah members were in a meeting when they got the news. The women decided that they could not stay quiet about this outrage. Ms Saeed says, “The punishment under the Hudood ordinance was a 100 lashes to Fahmida and stoning to death for Allah Baksh. We thought that this could have happened to anyone. For what crime? They married according to their wishes, that's not a crime.” This case sparked the formation of the Women's Action Forum, established by the Shirkat Gah, which made justice and equality their mandate. The organisation fought till the courts acquitted Fahmida and Allah Baksh.
In the 1980s, misuse of the Hudood Ordinance became rampant among the law enforcement agencies in Pakistan. “The police started filing cases of rape or gangrape under the Hudood Ordinance, which made no distinction between adultery and rape. All these women were languishing in jail. Thousands of women who were raped went to jail during that time. We couldn't stay quiet. WAF protested against Hudood in all major cities in Pakistan.” After decades of protests, some of the outrageous Hudood laws were repealed in 2006 with the Women's Protection Bill. But social and familial acceptance is still a long way off for victims. “The Hudood laws added to the medieval mindset. Earlier such punishments were heard of in rural areas but, with these laws, such acts reached the cities too.” says Ms Saeed.
629224299.jpg

Ms Saeed recalls another case that has stayed with her through the years. 29-year-old Samia Sarwar was shot dead in her lawyer's office in 1999. Samia's family called it an “honour killing.” Samia left her husband after he abused her and moved back with her parents. When she fell in love with another man four years later and sought a divorce from her estranged husband, Samia ran away from home fearing her family. At a meeting between her mother and her at the lawyer's office, Samia was shot dead by an assassin hired by her parents and former mother-in-law. Her lawyers, Asma Jehangir and Hina Jilani, also received death threats from several extremist groups for defending Samia. “We had to fight,” says Ms Saeed. “This (honour killings) continued for a long time. In those years, it was agonising.”
Ms Saeed says a major problem lies with the larger mindset in Pakistan, even today. In a morbid comparison of sorts, Ms Saeed says, “Look at our neighbour India. When a journalist was raped, half the nation was on the streets. Here, our nation has been brutalised, I don't understand the situation, soch so gayi hai .”
Despite Musharraf's reign being denounced as a dictatorship, Ms Saeed says that some substantial changes started coming around in his regime. She brings to light the fact that it was Musharraf's reign that saw the maximum number of women parliamentarians, which started making a difference in the women's rights movement.
110318563.png

Rights activist Uzma Noorani speaks of the time when WAF, or Women's Action Forum, came about. “We used to meet every Monday, in office spaces offered by other members. This is what we had to do on Mondays, all of us had that jazbaa that we have to do this.”
399957038.jpg

“Women are still being killed, you hear of grotesque crimes against women. People ask what have you done if women are still being killed, what have you changed? If we hadn't spoken up, there wouldn't have been any laws against these crimes. We have made achievements but mindsets will take time and that will only happen when governments become serious about equality for women.”
“People didn't talk about rape, it was completely taboo,” says Ms Noorani. “Once I went on radio and started using the word 'rape' and they stopped me saying that you can't use this word. If you don't use the word, how will you talk to people about it? We created the awareness that rape is an issue that needs to be addressed.”
476620784.jpg

Another icon in the history of feminism in Pakistan is Mahnaz Rehman , the Resident Director of Aurat Foundation and a former journalist. “While working for labour rights with the Left in the late 60s, we didn't feel the need to start a separate movement for women's rights,” says Ms Rahman . “We assumed that when the poor got their rights, women would get them too. Marx had also said that no movement can be successful without the role of women. So I had never thought about feminism separately.” Her focus changed with the tyranny of Zia ul Haq and the laws against women brought by this government. “I asked a judge about the Laws of Evidence. I asked him, “On one side, if we have a woman who is educated, has an MBA degree and, on the other, if we have an illiterate man, how can you say that the value of the educated woman's testimony is half of the illiterate man's testimony?” The judge just hung his head. He had no answer to my question.”
896927722.jpg

The HERstory project started by Bolo Bhi is an attempt to inspire the young feminists of Pakistan to not give up the fight. Activists from decades past say, that before the government of Zia ul Haq and the Hudood ordinance, Pakistan was a liberal, progressive society. Since the late 70s, the women of Pakistan suffered oppression and viciously unfair laws, but it is because of these women that the modern Pakistani woman can live a relatively better life. There is much more to do and achieve for women's rights in Pakistan and the movement needs to be taken forward by the young women of today. Icons like Mahnaz Rehman, Anis Haroon, Hilda Saeed, Uzma Noorani, and their contemporaries hope that the movement they started with so much zeal and fervour does not die and carries on till all the women of Pakistan feel safe in their homeland.
Poet Habib Jalib summed up the movement in his poem recited during the 1983 protests.
“Ab dehr mein be-yaar o madadgar nahin hum
Pehley ki tarah be-kas o lachaar nahin hum
Aata hai hamain apne muqaddar ko banana
Taqdeer peh shakir pas-e-deewar nahin hum”

813383956.jpg

“We are not helpless or powerless anymore,
We are not naive and innocent anymore,
We can shape our own destiny,
We are no longer grateful for the writing on the wall dictating our fates!”

Featured Image Source: Tribune

archaic punishments
mosaic punishments.

what an anti semitic article.

Activists from decades past say, that before the government of Zia ul Haq and the Hudood ordinance, Pakistan was a liberal, progressive society.

horse crap. these propagandists have little faith in their own lies

Her focus changed with the tyranny of Zia ul Haq and the laws against women brought by this government. “I asked a judge about the Laws of Evidence. I asked him, “On one side, if we have a woman who is educated, has an MBA degree and, on the other, if we have an illiterate man, how can you say that the value of the educated woman's testimony is half of the illiterate man's testimony?”

what has education to do with testimony?

this woman lack common sense not human rights

South Asian pagan patriarchal values agitated a bunch of affluent women to the point of denouncing what they saw being practised as religious norms , which actually in itself is poles apart from what sub continental societal order stands for.

horse crap. these propagandists have little faith in their own lies

That's partially true for the ordinary Joe who stop sending their females to the punjab university over rumours of girls being abducted from the hostel and getting recovered from the governor house- ------. The liberal creed cost a generation of females their education

This is real feminism, demand by the females and their male empathizers for the female to have the same rights as the male in a society, inThis is real feminism, demand by the females and their male empathizers for the female to have the same rights as the male in a society, in a region which is stuck in year 500 BC. These females are proud of being female, of being Nature's creations, or as God's creations if you wish, as against young Muskan bibi in India who hates herself for being female and seeks to cover her entire female existence within a burqa as ordered by her mullah father and much of the modern Muslims leadership. Shame on Muskan ! Shame on her father ! a region which is stuck in year 500 BC. These females are proud of being female, of being Nature's creations, or as God's creations if you wish, as against young Muskan bibi in India who hates herself for being female and seeks to cover her entire female existence within a burqa as ordered by her misogynist mullah father and much of the modern Muslims leadership. Shame on Muskan ! Shame on her father !

@Imran Khan bhai, thanks for posting the wonderful OP. Sad that the OP did not get more appreciation. I have bookmarked the OP.

as against young Muskan bibi in India who hates herself for being female and seeks to cover her entire female existence within a burqa as ordered by her mullah father and much of the modern Muslims leadership

So basically this pervert says that since that brave girl Muskan preferred to cover herself so she is ashamed of being a female

What a logic this pervert has. As per the logic of this filthy commie pervert if a female needs to be prove that she is proud to be a female then she needs to uncover herself. She needs to show more of her skin to prove herself being proud to be a female. Truly filthy pervert logic

Shame on Muskan ! Shame on her father !

Muskan and her father are far better humans than a stinky filthy commie like you. They are Muslims. You are a murtad. They are humans. You are a dog poop. They have nothing to be ashamed of

Actual shame is on your mother who went through pain and hardship of nine months only to give birth to a pervert murtad like you

What a logic this pervert has. As per the logic of this filthy commie pervert if a female needs to be prove that she is proud to be a female then she needs to uncover herself. She needs to show more of her skin to prove herself being proud to be a female. Truly filthy pervert logic

Mullah logic : "Wear the burqa this instant or forever be shamed because you are a shameless bikini wearer on the roads".

Actual shame is on your mother who went through pain and hardship of nine months only to give birth to a pervert murtad like you

I won't be tempted to respond to that.

Mullah logic : "Wear the burqa this instant or forever be shamed because you are a shameless bikini wearer on the roads".

You filthy scum. Your whole communism is about uncovering women. Shame on you and your mother for your filthy upbringing that made you a pervert

I won't be tempted to respond to that.

Don't even dare scum

You filthy scum. Your whole communism is about uncovering women. Shame on you and your mother for your filthy upbringing that made you a pervert

Uncovering to what ? The word is Liberating. Go use your foul mouth in front of this girl ( if she is alive ) and she will slap you in front of your mother :

This is a thread about Pakistani females having agitated for liberation in the 1980s and here comes you filthy mullah calling for their oppression and undoing their work and supporting those who throw stones of their Aurat March.

Last edited:
This is real feminism, demand by the females and their male empathizers for the female to have the same rights as the male in a society, inThis is real feminism, demand by the females and their male empathizers for the female to have the same rights as the male in a society, in a region which is stuck in year 500 BC. These females are proud of being female, of being Nature's creations, or as God's creations if you wish, as against young Muskan bibi in India who hates herself for being female and seeks to cover her entire female existence within a burqa as ordered by her mullah father and much of the modern Muslims leadership. Shame on Muskan ! Shame on her father ! a region which is stuck in year 500 BC. These females are proud of being female, of being Nature's creations, or as God's creations if you wish, as against young Muskan bibi in India who hates herself for being female and seeks to cover her entire female existence within a burqa as ordered by her misogynist mullah father and much of the modern Muslims leadership. Shame on Muskan ! Shame on her father !

@Imran Khan bhai, thanks for posting the wonderful OP. Sad that the OP did not get more appreciation. I have bookmarked the OP.
If nudity is a symbol of civilization then animals are more civilized than humans.

If nudity is a symbol of civilization then animals are more civilized than humans.

Where did I promote nudity or are you siding with Areesh's twisted mentality which I hope not ? And since you speak of animals, the cats are a light year ahead of Areesh in being civilized, empathetic, sensitive, tranquil, loyal and many other things. Areesh likes the bully kutta dogs and I adore cats. See the difference in our mentalities ?

Islam has nothing against Feminism, if Feminism means empowering women and giving them their fair rights and fair treatment.

But if Feminism means the right to go naked or some woman supremacist nonsense, then obviously it is bullcrap.

Where did I promote nudity or are you siding with Areesh's twisted mentality which I hope not ? And since you speak of animals, the cats are a light year ahead of Areesh in being civilized, empathetic, sensitive, tranquil, loyal and many other things. Areesh likes the bully kutta dogs and I adore cats. See the difference in our mentalities ?
I dont know nor care about Areesh.

Islam has nothing against Feminism, if Feminism means empowering women and giving them their fair rights and fair treatment.

But if Feminism means the right to go naked or some woman supremacist nonsense, then obviously it is bullcrap.

Are the below cases about the right to go naked or "some woman supremacist nonsense" ? They are about the right to be treated as a human with human rights :
In 1981, 18-year-old Fahmida's parents lodged an FIR against her and her husband, Allah Baksh, saying their marriage is illegal. This was the first case filed under the Hudood Ordinance and the Shirkat Gah members were in a meeting when they got the news. The women decided that they could not stay quiet about this outrage. Ms Saeed says, “The punishment under the Hudood ordinance was a 100 lashes to Fahmida and stoning to death for Allah Baksh. We thought that this could have happened to anyone. For what crime? They married according to their wishes, that's not a crime.”

Ms Saeed recalls another case that has stayed with her through the years. 29-year-old Samia Sarwar was shot dead in her lawyer's office in 1999. Samia's family called it an “honour killing.” Samia left her husband after he abused her and moved back with her parents. When she fell in love with another man four years later and sought a divorce from her estranged husband, Samia ran away from home fearing her family. At a meeting between her mother and her at the lawyer's office, Samia was shot dead by an assassin hired by her parents and former mother-in-law. Her lawyers, Asma Jehangir and Hina Jilani, also received death threats from several extremist groups for defending Samia. “We had to fight,” says Ms Saeed. “This (honour killings) continued for a long time. In those years, it was agonising.”

I dont know nor care about Areesh.

In that case please the OP again and then my post# 4 and then the first part of @Mentee bhai's post# 3.

Are the below cases about the right to go naked or "some woman supremacist nonsense" ? They are about the right to be treated as a human with human rights :

In that case please the OP again and then my post# 4 and then the first part of @Mentee bhai's post# 3.
Wow, you moron.

I said if it is about women getting their fair rights, then Islam has nothing against Feminism.

The concept of Feminism in the West is quite different from Feminism in the Middle East or Asia.

Why do you try to downplay what I am trying to say?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom