What's new

The Saudis’ New Warships Are Missing Something

Please read the opening article where it says the AEGIS was incorporated in the design for export, and google the latest news or look up some threads about the very recent approval of the US to export the SM-6, these are very important points to consider now, AN-SPY-1/2 works with AEGIS so it is coming too, SM-2/3 are a big possibility now that theSM-6 is cleared for export to allies, the latter had BMD capabilities as well as Anti-ship and surface to land capabilities, this is why I was saying that it has been worth it to wait till now..

Thanks, I have read the article several times before, but I don't mind reading it again. ^_^

AEGIS is for export no disagreement here, but not for any state. This is what the Americans have been saying in their reports. Now, they may change their policy and allow it for KSA as the U.S is showing serious intention to strengthen GCC defenses against missile threats where a such system can help greatly in establishing the bases of the GCC missile shield network. Yes I saw the news about offering SM-6 for export and this good signal for Saudis to resume the negotiations and get the deal reached !

KSA will not go for other options except U.S, so this deal is a MUST for us. Let's wait and see how they gonna settle this.

SM-6 (Standard missile 6) was just cleared fo exports a few days ago, it is good news since KSA asked for it many times..Now it should come with some very good radar and most probably with AEGIS or its Equivalent.. this is an almost 12 billion$ deal for 4 warships, it is very exorbitant, so they should be worth the cost..3 billion$ per ship!!!
Do you reckon the Saudis will get AEGIS SM-3 IIA? They need it !!

11.5 billion for LCS ... Wtf ... Its better to get few destroyers
Din't KSA buy 2 UK type 45 destroyers in 2007?

$11 bn for LCSs without AGEIS and AN/SPY-1 radar is just waste of money. Not to mention 7 years delay upon receiving the 1st one !

The high costs and US restrictions on the sensitive tech is more than enough for not reaching into a fair deal. The negotiations took more then 8 years and yet the deal has not reached.

Maybe with the new Trump administration we can reach a deal, who knows ? ....:P
You guys should request for AEGIS SM-3 IIA missile system and new SPY-6 Radar, otherwise 11Billion for this would be a waste.

Please read the opening article where it says the AEGIS was incorporated in the design for export, and google the latest news or look up some threads about the very recent approval of the US to export the SM-6, these are very important points to consider now, AN-SPY-1/2 works with AEGIS so it is coming too, SM-2/3 are a big possibility now that theSM-6 is cleared for export to allies, the latter had BMD capabilities as well as Anti-ship and surface to land capabilities, this is why I was saying that it has been worth it to wait till now..
Japan and USA have SM3-IIA for deployment in 2018 and Saudi needs that AEGIS BMD either ship based or land based....

Thanks, I have read the article several times before, but I don't mind reading it again. ^_^

AEGIS is for export no disagreement here, but not for any state. This is what the Americans have been saying in their reports. Now, they may change their policy and allow it for KSA as the U.S is showing serious intention to strengthen GCC defenses against missile threats where a such system can help greatly in establishing the bases of the GCC missile shield network. Yes I saw the news about offering SM-6 for export and this good signal for Saudis to resume the negotiations and get the deal reached !

KSA will not go for other options except U.S, so this deal is a MUST for us. Let's wait and see how they gonna settle this.
SM-3 is more important than sm-6 anyway.... Stop talking about old spy 1 radar they have the new one out.... Spy-6 Radar...

The RIM-174 Standard Extended Range Active Missile (ERAM), or Standard Missile 6 (SM-6) is a missile in current production for the United States Navy. It was designed for extended range anti-air warfare (ER-AAW) purposes providing capability against fixed and rotary-wing aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles, and anti-ship cruise missiles in flight, both over sea and land. It can also be used as a high speed anti-ship missile.......

The RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) is a ship-based missile system used by the United States Navy to intercept short-to intermediate-range ballistic missiles as a part of Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System.[4] Although primarily designed as an anti-ballistic missile, the SM-3 has also been employed in an anti-satellite capacity against a satellite at the lower end of low Earth orbit.[5] The SM-3 is primarily used and tested by the United States Navy and also operated by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.

Do you reckon the Saudis will get AEGIS SM-3 IIA? They need it !!

Din't KSA buy 2 UK type 45 destroyers in 2007?

You guys should request for AEGIS SM-3 IIA missile system and new SPY-6 Radar, otherwise 11Billion for this would be a waste.

Japan and USA have SM3-IIA for deployment in 2018 and Saudi needs that AEGIS BMD either ship based or land based....

SM-3 is more important than sm-6 anyway.... Stop talking about old spy 1 radar they have the new one out.... Spy-6 Radar...

The RIM-174 Standard Extended Range Active Missile (ERAM), or Standard Missile 6 (SM-6) is a missile in current production for the United States Navy. It was designed for extended range anti-air warfare (ER-AAW) purposes providing capability against fixed and rotary-wing aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles, and anti-ship cruise missiles in flight, both over sea and land. It can also be used as a high speed anti-ship missile.......

The RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) is a ship-based missile system used by the United States Navy to intercept short-to intermediate-range ballistic missiles as a part of Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System.[4] Although primarily designed as an anti-ballistic missile, the SM-3 has also been employed in an anti-satellite capacity against a satellite at the lower end of low Earth orbit.[5] The SM-3 is primarily used and tested by the United States Navy and also operated by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.
I think land based multilayer anti missile systems are better option for KSA, and it should develop or purchase some point defense system for it's navy ships

Back
Top Bottom