What's new

The Reluctant Revolutionary - a documentary about the Yemeni revolution

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
I was talking to an old Yemeni-American friend of mine and he told me about this documentary called "The Reluctant Revolutionary". It is one of the better documentaries that I have seen. Just watched it.

2lmb3np.jpg

Sean McAllister, The Reluctant Revolutionary (2012)

"McAllister has achieved something incredible here. The Reluctant Revolutionary is a stunningly humane portrait that shows vividly what's at stake before leaving it bloody on the Formica floor of a battered concrete building." [Cole Abaius, Film School Rejects]

An intimate portrait of Yemen as the revolution unfolds, told through the eyes of tour guide leader Kais, an intelligent commentator on the changing times in Yemen, offering poignant moments of reflection, loss, anger and hope on the unknown road to revolution. Filmed over the course of the past year we see Kais's journey from pro-President to reluctant revolutionary, joining angry protesters in the increasingly bloody streets of Sana'a.

Kais is a 35 year-old tour guide from Sana's, the Yemeni capital, struggling to make ends meet and working in his father's travel agency. He is philosophical, articulate and reflective but as the story begins he is cynical about the undercurrents of dissent in his country and supposrtive of the President.

When one of his tours has to be cut short due to the instability and increased danger for tourists, Kais returns to Sana'a to find 2 permanent camps in the city centre: one for the President and one against. Kais is adamant that protests wont solve anything, that the President is doing his best and that violence will never be used to quash the protests. At first, he refuses to enter the anti-president camp, but is convinced by sean to have a look one night. Over a number of visits we see Kais change, "I never imagined seeing rival tribes coming and sitting here in peace, without their Kalashnikovs" he declares.

As the protest camp grows from 'Change Square' to take over the surrounding streets we see that like Kais, many other people are also being converted to the movement. Kais embraces the revolution as each Friday gets bigger, and bloodier. Through his eyes, we see the events unfolding in the peace camps - the reactions to killings, defections, the President's failure to sign a peace deal - and understand what the revolution means to ordinary Yemenis. Sean shows us a revolution in the making through the eyes of ordinary Yemeni citizens, and paints a subtle picture that shows us the very root of people's discontent and their demands from the government.

Meanwhile, foreign journalists are being tracked down and sent out of the country, and soon Sean is the only remaining foreigner in his hotel.

A worthful watch and authentic documentary that also shows the wonderful nature and architecture of Yemen.

The Reluctant Revolutionary

@Chai @Arabian Legend @JUBA @Yzd Khalifa @BLACKEAGLE @kalu_miah @BATMAN @Armstrong @Imran Khan @Irfan Baloch @Slav Defence @Zarvan @Aslan @chauvunist, @Zakii @Aeronaut @Pakistanisage @RaptorRX707 @fawwaxs @Oscar @Al Bhatti @United @K-Xeroid @JonAsad @A.Rafay @Bubblegum Crisis @Banu Umayyah @MuslimConscript @salman108 @agentny17 @Hussein @Ammad Malik @T-123456 @Sinan @Mosamania @somebozo @Mootaz-khelifi @Doritos11 @Tunisian Marine Corps @Jessica_L @Skallagrim @Luffy 500 @Secur @explorer9 @tyrant @Jungibaaz @Hyperion @Mamba @BronzePlaque @Hu Songshan @Hazzy997 @Mahmoud_EGY @MooshMoosh @Naifov @Spring Onion @Wholegrain @Malik Abdullah

Last edited by a moderator:
Yemenis come from one of the most ancient tribes in the world (personally knowing many)..... there is only one way to describe the original Yemeni tribes >>>>> Honest warrior people.

May Allah bless this nation and Hope they get out of there foolish ego system though the new generation look's promising

the doc looks interesting defiantly will watch later.

Yemenis come from one of the most ancient tribes in the world (personally knowing many)..... there is only one way to describe the original Yemeni tribes >>>>> Honest warrior people.

May Allah bless this nation and Hope they get out of there foolish ego system though the new generation look's promising

the doc looks interesting defiantly will watch later.

Thank you very much 7abibi.

Yes, Yemen has one of the oldest civilizations in the Near East and world.

History of Yemen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ancient history of Yemen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Islamic history of Yemen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern history of Yemen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's cultural and historical heritage is extremely rich.

And only a tiny part of Yemen (less than 0,5%) has been excavated. Look at the findings in the thread I made below. That is simply amazing.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/middle-east-africa/281381-paleolithic-tombs-discovered-yemen.html

Yemen has a lot of problems indeed - main one is the poverty but the revolution was a joy to behold - how relatively peaceful it was compared to other countries and that it was a peoples revolution. All layers of society. Now the future can only get better. Ali Abdullah Saleh was not the worst dictator (not very brutal) but EXTREMELY corrupt. And failed to see above his own finger tip which made him very selfish and neglected Yemen a lot through those 33 years in rule.

You should definitely watch the documentary. Very, very good. Not a waste of time by any means as some documentaries can be.

I also like the cleverness of Kais as he commentates the revolution as it evolves. Love his humor and the other persons humor and joyful spirit. Typical Yemeni as it can get.

I would like to hear yours and others feedback if possible.

Indeed.

Yemeni people are easiest to get along with, the most fun to be with.

Whenever I will find time, I have to go there, right after Rub-al-Khaali.

There is just too much history waiting to be explored.

@United

That's only one tribe that does that and they live in the Northwestern part of Yemen - the only desert area of the country - the southern borders of the beautiful Rub' al-Khali desert.

Yemen: Lever du jour sur le désert du Rub al khali. by claude gourlay, on Flickr

But that tribe have also emigrated to areas north of Aden and that's where that picture have probably been taken.

I also heard a rumor of them only relying on their physicality and not weapons in any conflict. Past and present. But I doubt it, LOL.

@salman108

I am happy that you say all this. There must be a little truth to this by now since I hear it from so many people. Other Arabs, Muslims, non-Muslims, Asians, Europeans etc. Hell even Africans have only good things to say about Yemenis mostly. The Horn of Africans I have spoken with. Even all members here that have been to Yemen or know Yemenis are of the same opinions and they also come from a wide range of nationalities and backgrounds. Those that I have spoken to here at least. That is all encouraging. I wish all that praise would amount to something real in Yemen that is. I hope it will come.

Did you watch the documentary United?:coffee:

@United
I am happy that you say all this. There must be a little truth to this by now since I hear it from so many people. Other Arabs, Muslims, non-Muslims, Asians, Europeans etc. Hell even Africans have only good things to say about Yemenis mostly. The Horn of Africans I have spoken with. Even all members here that have been to Yemen or know Yemenis are of the same opinions and they also come from a wide range of nationalities and backgrounds. Those that I have spoken to here at least. That is all encouraging. I wish all that praise would amount to something real in Yemen that is. I hope it will come.

Did you watch the documentary United?:coffee:

Not yet buddy but definitely soon......people judge a community or a group by there past and Yemenis have a very proud history to back them........they are one of the most patriotic ppl.......they just need to concentrate on the present 4 the future.

@al-Hasani do share with us some of the traditional yameni sword dance...........seen many and been part of some but can not find anything online to share.

Not yet buddy but definitely soon......people judge a community or a group by there past and Yemenis have a very proud history to back them........they are one of the most patriotic ppl.......they just need to concentrate on the present 4 the future.

@al-Hasani do share with us some of the traditional yameni sword dance...........seen many and been part of some but can not find anything online to share.

Take your time bro. Yes, you are very right. There are a few problems that need to be solved and then I believe that the country will start to move forward for real. It would be great for the Arabian Peninsula and the Arab world. Yemen has a lot of potential and is one of the jewels in the Arab world.

Here is a rather long (10 minutes) video showing a few of the traditional dances (there are A LOT overall) from a few of the regions of Yemen.

I believe the commentary is either in Japanese or Chinese. Probably Japanese although my East Asian language skills are very limited if not non-existent (LOL).

Yemeni Dances from Different Areas - YouTube

‫

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LgZTkxtJE

Yemen has a very rich folkloric tradition.

Here is a Jewish Yemeni dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbpoc3AC86I&feature=player_embedded

Here is the famous bara3 dance:

yemeni little boy dance[ibb] - YouTube

:D

For the Arabic speakers here:

Funny & Talented Yemeni Kid - YouTube

‫

1.6 million views.

He is more sharp than many users here especially the many trolls despite his young age.

:lol:

Anyway let us try to stick to the topic.

one of the most spread communities in the world are of Hadhrami origin from the Hadhramaut region in Yemen they are spread all across the African continent to the Asian continent with large population in Pakistan and India, Muslims from the Balkan region in Europe are also from Hadhrami origin.

People of Hadhrami origin were one of the best sailors, they have also been recruited in large numbers by different armies due to there fighting skills.

British described them as "tall and strongly built Arabs".

one of the most spread communities in the world are of Hadhrami origin from the Hadhramaut region in Yemen they are spread all across the African continent to the Asian continent with large population in Pakistan and India, Muslims from the Balkan region in Europe are also from Hadhrami origin.

People of Hadhrami origin were one of the best sailors, they have also been recruited in large numbers by different armies due to there fighting skills.

British described them as "tall and strongly built Arabs".

Yes, Hadhrami people are a famous Arab diaspora. There are tons of millions of people of Hadhrami or partially Hadhrami descent in the Horn of Africa, East Africa (Swahili coastline), Northern Africa, Egypt, remaining parts of the Arabian Peninsula, Levant, South Asia and especially South East Asia (Indonesia and Malaysia) where they are very numerous.

Many successful head of states such as presidents, prime ministers, rulers (Sultans etc.) have been of Hadhrami (Yemeni) origin in South East Asia. Famous ministers, politicians, celebrities, models, actors, astronauts, clerics and most importantly merchants and BUSINESSMEN. Especially the later.

Another funny fact is that the richest African is an Ethiopian of Hadhrami descent on his fathers side. He is also the 63rd richest person in the world.

He is called Muhammad Hussein al-Amoudi. He operates from KSA and has citizenship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Hussein_Al_Amoudi

A very clever and friendly Chinese member here called @Wholegrain even made a thread about the Hadhrami diaspora this summer.

Here it was:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/middle-east-africa/261228-hadhramaut-diaspora.html

Yes, they were excellent merchants, sailors and soldiers/warriors. To this day you should not mess with them!

;)

The only yemeni i met was a douchebag .. but i guess every community has bad seeds... and i happened to meet one... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom