What's new

The overpopulation thread

What is "overpopulation"???

What do you define it as?? 1B people? 5B? 10B?? 50B?

When Earth reached 1B some time ago.....many harped about the end of the world....limiting children being produced, killing the old, the infirm, criminals and et all.

Well, I don't know if any of you looked outside the window but we're currently at ~7.6B and it's been predicted that at our current production of food, we can sustain 11B. :coffee:

And if we have more efficient methods in place all around the world, we can increase the above number by regulating food waste, production & distribution.

People are also not taking into account the birth rate in developed countries, most of whom have negligible birthrates while consuming as much as 10 people in Africa, the ones producing 3-5 babies currently. And Africans seem to be doing fine minus the wars going on in Africa...

More Research busting the "Overpopulation Myth":

Also no ones taking into account rapid change in tech that'll revolutionize food production through which we can sustain more people......or the future wars which can decrease the pop. real fast...

Best Explanation So Far:

So yea...it's 2020 and ya all better educate yourself before spewing bs like "overpopulation". :rolleyes:
I know a man who calculated how much people can the earth physically sustain with current level of industry, and agriculture with a current living standards of developed countries. The answer was a very big range depending on preferred agriculture methods, but it was in between 700 billions, and 1.4 trillions.

I know a man who calculated how much people can the earth physically sustain with current level of industry, and agriculture with a current living standards of developed countries. The answer was a very big range depending on preferred agriculture methods, but it was in between 700 billions, and 1.4 trillions.

I don't know about 1.4T lol but it's possible while also preserving the environment if our tech, standards, and morals develop at the same rate or better than currently.

Either way, the simple fact is that there's no such thing as "overpopulation". It's all a matter of perspective. Anytime humans have started to "overpopulate", some of us found ways to better manage and feed the rest of us.

And folks are still forgetting that the current pop. rate in the world is mostly stable, if not decreasing in some parts of the world.

current fertility rate of Pakistan is around 3 with replacement level being 2.1...by 2050 Pakistan population will plateau faster if development happens

one interesting fact with respect to food production....

California produces 10X more food then Pakistan with 3X water usage at around 40 MAF(we use 140 MAF of water)

so if Punjab and Sindh attain productivity of California it can feed all of the world

one more fact..USA population is just 270 miilion but it produces almost 30% of world pollution but then india has population of 25% and only produces 6% of the world population..
Where did you get this from??? America's population is waaaay over the sum you gave. Using falsified information to justify overpopulation is bad. I agree consumption is bad, but the other option to live like poor people is a red herring fallacy.
We should live moderate lives and consume less.
Also no ones taking into account rapid change in tech that'll revolutionize food production through which we can sustain more people......or the future wars which can decrease the pop. real fast...
More food means more people because the carrying capacity would be increased. Go back and watch the first video on the thread.

Last edited:
current fertility rate of Pakistan is around 3 with replacement level being 2.1...by 2050 Pakistan population will plateau faster if development happens

California produces 10X more food then Pakistan with 3X water usage at around 40 MAF(we use 140 MAF of water)

so if Punjab and Sindh attain productivity of California it can feed all of the world

one more fact..USA population is just 270 miilion but it produces almost 30% of world pollution but then india has population of 25% and only produces 6% of the world population..

USA population 330 million

India 1.36billion / World population 8 billion = 17%

It helps the argument if you get the facts and figures right. I do agree with the basic premise of your point.

More food means more people because the carrying capacity would be increased. Go back and watch the first video on the thread.

More food does not mean more people in a complex world like this...

Your research and using words like "carrying capacity" makes you sound like a high schooler. You really need to update yourself....check out the videos I posted.

To really give yourself an understanding, you need to understand the different factors that lead to overpopulation and see how many of them have been mitigated over the years and are still being worked on.

As human population increases, so does our innovation rate to keep us all fat and healthy.
USA population 330 million

India 1.36billion / World population 8 billion = 17%

It helps the argument if you get the facts and figures right. I do agree with the basic premise of your point.

US also has a much bigger land mass than India too.....Russia with ~100M lol

And we have yet to shift food production into the world oceans, although it's being worked on. That'll definitely increase the population capacity ceiling even if we never hit it......because of war and disease.....the 2 things which'll always keep human pop. in check.

More food does not mean more people in a complex world like this...

Your research and using words like "carrying capacity" makes you sound like a high schooler. You really need to update yourself....check out the videos I posted.
It must seem like that to an ignorant person who is not familiar with it, even though it is the word academicians coined and use http://www.populationmedia.org/wp-c...pacity-is-Determined-by-Food-Availability.pdf

Maybe do a little reading and be less ignorant. You live in a world even behind a kindergarten student. Like next thing you'll claim bio-chemistry sounds like something made by a "high-schooler", right?

It must seem like that to an ignorant person who is not familiar with it, even though it is the word academicians coined and use http://www.populationmedia.org/wp-c...pacity-is-Determined-by-Food-Availability.pdf

Maybe do a little reading and be less ignorant. You live in a world even behind a kindergarten student. Like next thing you'll claim bio-chemistry sounds like something made by a "high-schooler", right?

No such thing as overpopulation. The Earth can sustain more humans at our current rate of tech and management. End of Story.

Enlighten yourself and don't quote me again:

The Earth can sustain more humans at our current rate of tech and management. End of Story.
Yeah you mean destroy more ecosystems and turn them into farm land which results in more crop production which in turn means more growth.

I've seen the video long before you linked it here. It's pure nonsense just like what you're preaching.

Yeah you mean destroy more ecosystems and turn them into farm land which results in more crop production which in turn means more growth.

I've seen the video long before you linked it here. It's pure nonsense just like what you're preaching.

More ecosystems don't need to be destroyed for increased food production. We can manage to increase our food production with the already available land if possible.

You need to do your home before talking on this subject matter with me.

Humanity has yet to use the seas sustainably to provide for food. And we also have yet to sustainably use most of our land. So like I said before, as long as our tech and management keeps getting better, which they are, we'll be fine.

It's up to you to learn and move on or keep going around in circles.

" [If] We can produce 80 times more with 4 times less water" (first video). Wrote we since the Dutch can already do it...

People are confusing overpopulation with the Earth's capacity. Maybe the earth can fit even 1 trillion people - but that doesn't mean its a good idea.

People only appreciate overpopulation when it affects them directly - you can ask residents of Dhaka or Karachi how the population increase has affected their city.

Increasing populations should mean new cities get built but in reality, existing cities just get more saturated.

But imagine new cities are built - another Dhaka in Bangladesh, or another Karachi in Pak. The water supply, drainage, sewerage problems which still have not been solved for one city. Doubling the size of an existing calamity and creating more abject poverty. There is no reason to think these countries will suddenly get rich and solve all the issues.

And why blame the West for wasting food? No country will share their resources to feed your recklessly growing population. Europeans, sacrificed having children so they could have a certain quality of life - not to subsidize your population. Is the East prepared to make the same sacrifices?

More ecosystems don't need to be destroyed for increased food production. We can manage to increase our food production with the already available land if possible.
Yeah they still will- to make way for more people. The Earth is not infinite. Also increasing food increases the carrying capacity; therefor creating more mouths.

Once a species grows at a fast rate to meet the limit of it's carrying capacity it either is forced to migrate or it's population growth meets a downhill crash. Watch the first video that started this thread: population always rises to meet food supply.

USA population is 320 million. California has major environmental issues with respect to farming
California rainfall varies a lot to support agriculture over centuries

overpopulation is curse for society look at this how we will feed them ? even middle class now act like animals when they see free food on marriages and sermonizes .

hunger poverty and crimes lower services and mess all because of people make kids which they can not feed or educate or take care of

1603538502200.png

1603538455954.png

1603538467414.png

1603538442486.png

these are not poor people but it seems hunger is now real issue of pakistan no one have stomach full in this country

Last edited:
Yeah they still will- to make way for more people. The Earth is not infinite. Also increasing food increases the carrying capacity; therefor creating more mouths.

Once a species grows at a fast rate to meet the limit of it's carrying capacity it either is forced to migrate or it's population growth meets a downhill crash. Watch the first video that started this thread: population always rises to meet food supply.

And food supply always rises to meet population demand.....end of story.

Seeing as how you haven't watched the videos I linked to dismiss your ignorance. I can't help you or others like you. Keep living in made up panic campaigns. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom