What's new

The mutual unintelligibility of Sinitic lect

禁粵滅繁蔓延佛山 媒體學校違規扣分 | 蘋果日報 | 兩岸國際 | 20140715

新一波「禁粵滅繁」運動來勢洶洶!繼上周傳出廣東省電視台新聞頻道,於9月全盤轉為普通話廣播後,佛山市政府下令轄下政府機關、學校、新聞媒體、公共服務行業,一律用普通話和簡體字,新聞採訪講粵語要扣分、課堂講粵語寫繁體字要扣分、連餐廳菜單、宣傳單張都禁用方言和繁體字。

I translate for the rest.

The Guangdong province implemented a new round of banning Cantonese and traditional Chinese character. Shortly after, the Foshan city government mandated that all public offices, schools, media, restaurant must use simplified chinese character. Students using traditional chinese and cantonese will be penalized.

新一波「禁粵滅繁」運動來勢洶洶!繼上周傳出廣東省電視台新聞頻道,於9月全盤轉為普通話廣播後,佛山市政府下令轄下政府機關、學校、新聞媒體、公共服務行業,一律用普通話和簡體字,新聞採訪講粵語要扣分、課堂講粵語寫繁體字要扣分、連餐廳菜單、宣傳單張都禁用方言和繁體字。

The Guangdong province implemented a new round of banning Cantonese and traditional Chinese character. Shortly after, the Foshan city government mandated that all public offices, schools, media, restaurant must use simplified chinese character. Students using traditional chinese and cantonese will be penalized.

Apple Daily, I would have guessed. :lol: They are a tabloid, worse than Fox News.

Personally I don't see a problem with simplified characters, they are much more efficient, I often use them myself.

For example, my signature uses simplified characters, while my avatar uses a traditional character, because I think that character looks nicer in traditional form. But obviously the simplified character is much faster to write if you are in a hurry.

Efficiency is good, people who worry about traditional characters "dying out" are blowing the situation out of proportion.

You still see these types of characters right?

%E9%BE%8D-seal.svg

Have they died out? No, you see them everywhere.

Last edited:
Apple Daily, I would have guessed. :lol: They are a tabloid, worse than Fox News.

Personally I don't see a problem with simplified characters, they are much more efficient, I often use them myself.

For example, my signature uses simplified characters, while my avatar uses a traditional character, because I think that character looks nicer in traditional form. But obviously the simplified character is much faster to write if you are in a hurry.

Efficiency is good, people who worry about traditional characters "dying out" are blowing the situation out of proportion.

You still see these types of characters right?

%E9%BE%8D-seal.svg

Why don't they accept both? Simplified words look fugly.

毒果日报想怎样?何为灭繁体?在大陆通行简体字,毒果日报不知道吗?
另外,全国各省卫视,除少数民族自治区外(有普通话,有少数民族语言两种电台),都是普通话,为什广东要搞特殊?

Last edited:
Why don't they accept both? Simplified words look fugly.

The best thing about traditional Chinese font is, this is the only font we need to
毒果日报想怎样?何为灭繁体?在大陆通行简体字,毒果日报不知道吗?
另外,全国各省卫视,除少数民族自治区外,都是普通话,为什广东要搞特殊?

Not just apple, the PRC funded Wenhui newspaper say similar thing.

http://news.wenweipo.com/2014/07/14/IN1407140044.htm

消灭母语。

Chinese Dragon still think Cantonese is going strong. I went Guangdong now and 15 years back, I am already alarmed.

dlclong must be a "Mandarin", are you? You may not understand the feeling of "canton race" and "Taiwanese race".

@dlclong
蘋果日報是狗屎但繁體字是非常美麗的. 也是有好長的歷史. 消除也是好可惜.

苹果日报是狗屎但繁体字是非常美丽的. 也是有好长的历史. 消除也是好可惜.

The best thing about traditional Chinese font is, this is the only font we need to

消灭母语。

Chinese Dragon still think Cantonese is going strong. I went Guangdong now and 15 years back, I am already alarmed.

dlclong must be a "Mandarin", are you? You may not understand the feeling of "canton race" and "Taiwanese race".

In my local colleges, both are taught and tested. But I can see from the perspective of the government to enhance literacy. Some common words in traditional Chinese are pretty tough to remember and write.

@dlclong
蘋果日報是狗屎但繁體字是非常美麗的. 也是有好長的歷史. 消除也是好可惜.

苹果日报是狗屎但繁体字是非常美丽的. 也是有好长的历史. 消除也是好可惜.

老百姓用什么字,说什么方言,中央民主点嘛。连中国龙都对粤语蛮有感情的。

换个地方,若福建消灭闽南话,那台湾人就真的造出“台湾种族”出来了。

消灭母语。

Thousands national dialect, it really Guangdong and Taiwan special?
Do not always consider themselves special, Putonghua is a must, but it does not mean eliminat dialect.
in class, use Mandarin, which is a must, from my elementary school where we is. provinces TV are Mandarin, this is a must!
当初秦始皇,统一六国,书同文,车同轨,统一度量衡,才有了今天的中国. If not, just like today, China justlike Africa, Europe, can not be unified.
Look at India, , can only rely on English to maintain the exchange

我再说一边,推行普通话,不是消灭方言,通过学校,电台是推行普通话的最主要方式。
你在家里,随便说方言,没人管你,你出门说,也没人管你,只要对方听得懂

Thousands national dialect, it really Guangdong and Taiwan special?
Do not always consider themselves special, Putonghua is a must, but it does not mean eliminat dialect.
in class, use Mandarin, which is a must, from my elementary school where we is. provinces TV are Mandarin, this is a must!
当初秦始皇,统一六国,书同文,车同轨,统一度量衡,才有了今天的中国. If not, just like today, China justlike Africa, Europe, can not be unified.
Look at India, , can only rely on English to maintain the exchange

我再说一边,推行普通话,不是消灭方言,通过学校,电台是推行普通话的最主要方式。
你在家里,随便说方言,没人管你,你出门说,也没人管你,只要对方听得懂

Learning and speaking Mandarin is no problem for Cantonese. I think my concern is the writing part. I think that both traditional and simplified characters should be accepted. With the age of internet, there is no problem translating simplified to traditional, vice versa.

另外,之前广东省电视台为什么只推行粤语白话,广东有三大方言,客家,潮汕,而白话是不是太霸道,你怎么看

Learning and speaking Mandarin is no problem for Cantonese. I think my concern is the writing part. I think that both traditional and simplified characters should be accepted. With the age of internet, there is no problem translating simplified to traditional, vice versa.
Not to say that prohibit the use of traditional Chinese, painting and calligraphy, art dialect still a lot of use. Textbooks above still have, . I know 98% of Traditional Chinese
But everything should have a specification, in public institutions, can not be used in conjunction Simplified Traditional ,would cause too much trouble. And at school, you can not have the energy to learn two fonts.

Not to say that prohibit the use of traditional Chinese, painting and calligraphy, art dialect still a lot of use. Textbooks above still have, . I know 98% of Traditional Chinese
But everything should have a specification, in public institutions, can not be used in conjunction Simplified Traditional ,would cause too much trouble. And at school, you can not have the energy to learn two fonts.
I agree. But the damn street signs should not use English. It pisses me off to see that in China.

Back
Top Bottom