What's new

The Moral Collapse and gradual break down of American/Western Society

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike." - Oscar Wilde

@Developereo @Hyperion Just found this extremely befitting quote:

Well, let's just be clear here.

Not everything written in the OP is objectively "wrong". It is merely the author's opinion.

While most people would agree that hypersexualization of preteens is wrong, the same cannot be said of other factors in the OP. Not everyone would agree that less religiosity or gay rights are a sign of moral decline. Those issues are subjective.

"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike." - Oscar Wilde
How about quoting people who actually study the field:

The Definition of Morality
First published Wed Apr 17, 2002; substantive revision Mon Mar 14, 2011
The term “morality” can be used either

1. descriptively to refer to some codes of conduct put forward by a society or,
    1. some other group, such as a religion, or
    2. accepted by an individual for her own behavior or
  2. normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons.

The Definition of Morality (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Morals and Ethics

A. Descriptive Ethics orMorals: a study of human behavior as a consequence of beliefs about what is right or wrong, or good or bad, insofar as that behavior is useful or effective. In a sense, morals is the study of what is thought to be right and what is generally done by a group, society, or a culture. In general, morals correspond to what actually is done in a society.

1. Morals is best studied as psychology, sociology, or anthropology. Different societies have different moral codes.

2. Morals is a descriptive science; it seeks to establish "what is true" in a society or group.

3. Often morals are considered to be the shared ideals of a group, irrespective of whether they are practiced.

4. In the sense of descriptive ethics or morals, different persons, groups, and societies have different moral standards. This observation is seen as true by all sides.

a. We would commit the Case Study: Moral Rules and Ethical Standards.

c. This confusion between descriptive and prescriptive ethics occurs quite often by persons untrained in philosophical analysis. Isaac Asimov got it right when he wrote, "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right."

The only major problems New Zealand has is a high proportion of it's population is incarcerated (Maori Males). Binge drinking, etc..

Fair enough and, when people discuss those issues, they are focused on New Zealand.

To reiterate my earlier point, would you not agree that many south Asian parents in New Zealand would be apprehensive about the hypersexualization of their kids? Just as other white, Maori, etc. New Zealanders might be? It doesn't negate the fact that New Zealand is superior to south Asia in many other ways, and no one is going to run back to India/Pakistan, but the issue remains nonetheless.

Would south Asian parents discuss those issues with other New Zealanders, or would they feel they don't have a right to, because of what happens back in India/Pakistan?

Well, let's just be clear here.

Not everything written in the OP is objectively "wrong". It is merely the author's opinion.

While most people would agree that hypersexualization of preteens is wrong, the same cannot be said of other factors in the OP. Not everyone would agree that less religiosity or gay rights are a sign of moral decline. Those issues are subjective.
I am very clear about what is in OP...all the things are present in the Western society....however many are currently given the status of being acceptable hence the title of the article doesnt do it justice....

Like the definitions of moral which I have quoted from some websites in post 126:

Morals differ from society to society (people, environment and the idea all form morals)

However, post 123 was a wake up call

If morals differ from society to society, then how can one be worried about or pass judgement on another?

@Aeronaut @Jungibaaz What's with the lines over the text of my post??

I've removed them, if you see the little row of options for editing text when you post.
After the 'Underline' option there's the one that puts a line through your text, looks like this: S

You had that selected.

Fair enough and, when people discuss those issues, they are focused on New Zealand.

To reiterate my earlier point, would you not agree that many south Asian parents in New Zealand would be apprehensive about the hypersexualization of their kids? Just as other white, Maori, etc. New Zealanders might be? It doesn't negate the fact that New Zealand is superior to south Asia in many other ways, and no one is going to run back to India/Pakistan, but the issue remains nonetheless.

Would south Asian parents discuss those issues with other New Zealanders, or would they feel they don't have a right to, because of what happens back in India/Pakistan?

To keep it simple,

Yes they do. Because the parents feel in New Zealand that hyper-sexualization is part of the process where Kids grow up to be too fast.

They worry that instead of being in beauty contests, they should be having a child hood. Play outside, do stupid things, be a child.

The majority of parents I would venture will agree with your view point.

I can only speak from reading discussions on this in New Zealand though.

If morals differ from society to society, then how can one be worried about or pass judgement on another?
Morals differ but the same basic remains....

only lunatics say yes murdering is fine coz it makes you feels strong or whatever crap!

Only lunatics justify rape

Other things like how small can a skirt get before you call it small or how much skin is enough differs! And here I thought you were intelligent

The majority of parents I would venture will agree with your view point.

That's my point. It is an issue that resonates with many people around the world and it needs to be discussed without people getting all worked up.

Are you able to pass judgment on Nazi society?

There was no Nazi society. There was a German society that elected the Nazis into power, yes.

There was no Nazi society. There was a German society that elected the Nazis into power, yes.

Sementics. A german society that elected the Nazis into power and hence turned into a distinctive kind of society, which can be refered to as Nazi society. The point still stands. If you're able to pass judgment without hesitation on this society, you know that there are some basic culture independent moral principles.

I hope shithole South Asia moral also collapses and it can develop it self like USA.

Sementics. A german society that elected the Nazis into power and hence turned into a distinctive kind of society, which can be refered to as Nazi society. The point still stands. If you're able to pass judgment without hesitation on this society, you know that there are some basic culture independent moral principles.

And if I say that I do not judge that period in German society's history either, then what happens to your argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom